Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.11

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.11

Post by Brad »

Welcome to Round 1.11 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = May 23rd at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?t ... Albums%208

Match-ups:
1. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley vs. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
2. Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On vs. Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
3. Game Theory - Lolita Nation vs. Tim Hecker - Radio Amor
4. Carl Perkins - The Dance Album of Carl Perkins vs. Ulver - Perdition City

Come Fly With Me!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.11

Post by Bang Jan »

Perfect From Now On

3 | Kyuss | Welcome to Sky Valley
1 | The 13th Floor Elevators | The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

2 | Built to Spill | Perfect From Now On
5 | Robert Wyatt | Comicopera

4 | Game Theory | Lolita Nation
6 | Tim Hecker | Radio Amor

8 | Carl Perkins | The Dance Album of Carl Perkins
7 | Ulver | Perdition City

Favourite song of the week: The 13th Floor Elevators | You're Gonna Miss Me
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

First voting for the ones I'm already familiar with; I'll try to get to the others.

1. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley (8/10) vs. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators (7.75/10)
2. Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On (7.75/10) vs. Robert Wyatt - Comicopera (7.5/10)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The Psychadelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators 82 - Welcome To Sky Valley 62
Perfect From Now On 75 - Comicopera 73
Lolita Nation 85 - Radio Amor 84
Perdition City 73 - The Dance Album 67

Hate it when my favorite two of the week face each other.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Usually I don't want to reveal an album nomination of mine too early, but in this case I feel it might be a good idea to give a defense of The Dance Album of Carl Perkins during the start of the week.

You see, Carl Perkins remains a bit of an unsung (or rather half-sung) hero of early rock 'n roll. I doubt most people know him from anything else than Blue Suede Shoes. That is, if they actually know him. However, for a very, very short while he seemed to become one of the major stars of the era, but sadly, after scoring a breakthrough hit with Blue Suede Shoes he got in an accident. He recovered from that but the momentum he was starting to build up was lost, as Elvis Presley had made an even bigger selling version of Blue Suede Shoes and Buddy Holly went on were Carl Perkins was left behind.

The thing is, Carl Perkins was a pioneer in mending black rock with southern, white music. The fusion of country and rock into rockabilly was thanks to him, an innovation that Buddy Holly would soon expand upon. And during that very early stage of rock & roll Perkins was really seen by everyone as a major artist among his peers. Even Chuck Berry was a fan. All those early singles that made a big impression were collected on The Dance Album of Carl Perkins. It's basically his version of Here's Little Richard or After School Session. Basically all these old rockers had a first album that was more a compilation of singles of the last few years.

But for some reason The Dance Album never got the same recognition. Here's Little Richard, After School Session, This is Fats, The Chirpin' Crickets, Elvis Presley (or Elvis at Sun for that matter), Bo Diddley, etc.: these are all classics in some way. The Dance Album is almost the lost link there and perhaps it is telling that it was out of print for some decades, up until the eighties if I'm correct. The rediscovery never came. It's not even bubbling under on Acclaimed Music. Heck, even Rolling Stone Magazine, who actually placed Carl Perkins in their top 100 artists, make no mention of the album on their lists.

Perhaps that rediscovery will never come, but I thought Perkins deserved a boost, therefore my nomination of him here. Also, it really is a lot of fun and lives up to its title. Perkins was by all means an unpretentious musician and an entertainer and while listening to the album I always get the feeling that I'm simply listening to a kind guy who wants me to enjoy myself. The very few slow tracks aren't all that great, but mostly Perkins keeps the tempo up. Whether it's a forgotten masterpiece is up to you, but I find it damn fun.

Also, Blue Suede Shoes (the Perkins version of course) had slowly become one of my top favorite songs of the era, near Johnny B. Goode and Tutti Frutti. But this album is more than just that classic alone.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley (1994) vs. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators (1966)

2. Built to Spill - Perfect from Now On (1997) vs. Robert Wyatt - Comicopera (2007)

3. Game Theory - Lolita Nation (1987) vs. Tim Hecker - Radio Amor (2003)

4. Carl Perkins - The Dance Album of Carl Perkins (1957) vs. Ulver - Perdition City (2000)

Favourite song from every album:
100°/Space Cadet/Demon Cleaner | You're Gonna Miss Me | Randy Described Eternity | Just as You Are | Chardonnay | Azure Azure | Blue Suede Shoes | Hallways of Always

Favourite song of the week: Randy Described Eternity
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

1. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley vs. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I just noticed that the Twin Peaks soundtrack is going to show up the same week the series re-premieres.

When two unrelated events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry, we must always pay strict attention.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Jirin wrote:When two unrelated events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry, we must always pay strict attention.
Especially when David Lynch is involved!
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Kyuss
Built to Spill
Game Theory
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

3. Game Theory - Lolita Nation (7.25) vs. Tim Hecker - Radio Amor (7.75)
4. Carl Perkins - The Dance Album of Carl Perkins (7.5) vs. Ulver - Perdition City (7.25)
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Kyuss | Welcome to Sky Valley vs. The 13th Floor Elevators | The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

Built to Spill | Perfect From Now On vs. Robert Wyatt | Comicopera

Game Theory | Lolita Nation vs. Tim Hecker | Radio Amor

Carl Perkins | The Dance Album of Carl Perkins vs. Ulver | Perdition City
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Out of town this week without a lot of listening time.

EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

2. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
vs.
1. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

4. Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
vs.
6. Robert Wyatt - Comicopera

5. Game Theory - Lolita Nation
vs.
3. Tim Hecker - Radio Amor

7. Carl Perkins - The Dance Album of Carl Perkins
vs.
8. Ulver - Perdition City
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Some excellent / brilliant choices this week, with at least 3 top 500 albums.

1. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley (4.5) vs. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators (4.5)

Diabolical choice. Kyuss was surely going to be the winner in any other matchup. I feel almost sorry to vote for my nomination... but I have to ! The Elevators made it in my all-time list for their all-out garage psychedelism, a real novelty for the time. They gave the genre its trademarks,(and that bubbly sound too...)

2. Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On (5.0) vs. Robert Wyatt - Comicopera (2.5)
Not a fair matchup. BtS released their best album with "Perfect...", a staple of 2000s indie-rock. Wyatt's goofy sound is just too arty for me.

3. Game Theory - Lolita Nation (3.5) vs. Tim Hecker - Radio Amor (2.5)
I liked Game Theory's jangle pop - and the little snippets which litter the whole album are quite something too. I caught the Game Theory train on the late with the Loud Family, but I see little difference between the two acts. Radio Amor is far weaker than the later "Ravedeath 1972", average ambient music.

4. Carl Perkins - The Dance Album of Carl Perkins (3.5) vs. Ulver - Perdition City (3.5)
I'm actually going to pass on this one. Both albums are really good, but a more diverse matchup cannot exist. I love the energy and the feeling of the huge influence of Carl Perkins on rock'n'roll. Perdition City is very atmospheric, but the melodies are there and gone is the dreaded "doom metal" aspect. They tend to overdo it (that sax on the first track...meh.) but I don't think they intended to make a "scary" album, mind you Pitchfork. It's just plain good to listen to.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:
going against my own nomination of that one!

23 hours left to vote!

Thanks!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Is it just me or is this a rather inaccessible round? I mean, outside of Carl Perkins these albums aren't all that light or immediate and are probably an acquired taste. They are all, except Perkins again, a little weird. They definitely need more than one or two listens to digest. This isn't a criticism though, as I like this sort of thing. But the funny impression I get is that if for some odd reason someone would only have heard these eight albums in their lives, The Dance Album of Carl Perkins would seem the strange one. I guess Kyuss aren't all that strange, but they belong to a sort of hard rock that usually not everyone takes kindly too (I didn't think it would do so well, as a matter of fact).

2. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley vs. 5. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
Despite being a huge classic, this is the first time listening to The Psychedelic Sounds, and to The 13th Floor Elevators in general. That opening song is probably my favorite track of the week. You're Gonna Miss Me is very much a deserved classic. But I also feel that much of the album doesn't live up to it. Give me Welcome to Sky Valley, because that is great rock all of the time.

3. Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On vs. 8. Robert Wyatt - Comicopera
In a week of songs that really require multiple listens these two are the biggest offenders. In fact, this isn't my first time listening to Robert Wyatt (though I never heard Comicopera before) and I've always found him elusive. No matter how many times I seem to listen to a song or album of him he always seems to remain out of my grasp. This makes him fascinating and I admire his originality. On the other hand, it makes him hard to embrace for me. Maybe one day I will come to love him, but that day is not yet here.
Perfect From Now On is also an album rich is sound and detail, but it grips me more. There is a lot to it and it sometimes gets to the core of me, even if I can't explain why.

4. Game Theory - Lolita Nation vs. 7. Tim Hecker - Radio Amor
Lolita Nation is not an easy listen either, but that's because it is so damn packed with ideas and changes in style. I found it easy to embrace actually, even if I have a hard time to describe it. Also, even though I never heard the album before I had the feeling it was a huge classic appearing in many lists, but apparently it's not on Acclaimed Music at all. In fact, Game Theory itself isn't. Why am I so familiar with the band name and album title?
After Perfect From Now On, Comicopera and Lolita Nation it was kind of surprising to suddenly hear an album that's easy to pin down: this is an ambient album! Well, I knew Tim Hecker from some later albums and I generally like his work. Radio Amor is good too, but pales in comparison to these later efforts.

1. Carl Perkins - The Dance Album of Carl Perkins vs. 6. Ulver - Perdition City
Not to be outdone by Game Theory, Ulver up the ante and seem to try to make the most varied album of all time. They might have succeeded, but not while sustaining quality. I found it a frustrating listen, because probably since The White Album by The Beatles such terrible tracks haven't been mixed with such sublime songs. I admire the enthusiasm, but maybe these people are trying too hard. That this sometimes pays off wonderfully has to be commented though. It's too bad it doesn't really make for an album.
For my thoughts on The Dance Album of Carl Perkins, see above. It's a nice contrast with Perdition City, because Perkins is all about easy charms.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
Tim Hecker - Radio Amor
Carl Perkins - The Dance Album of Carl Perkins

Favorite album I couldn't vote for: Ulver - Perdition City
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

1. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
2. Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On

I enjoyed comicopera a lot and I didn't expect that, but it's facing my favorite album of all time.

Would love to vote against Game Theory but I won't have Time to listen to the Tim Hecker album.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

14 voters this week:
Bang Jan
BleuPanda
Brad
DaveC
EmilienDelRey
Honorio
jamieW
Jirin
Kingoftonga
luney6
Nassim
notbrianeno
Rob
spiritualized

Winners:
1. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators over Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley 8-6
2. Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On over Robert Wyatt - Comicopera 10-3
3. Game Theory - Lolita Nation over Tim Hecker - Radio Amor 7-5
4. Carl Perkins - The Dance Album of Carl Perkins over Ulver - Perdition City 6-4

Round 1.12 up soon!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”