Least-favorite songs

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Least-favorite songs

Post by Jirin »

Is this 'Worst' list or 'Most overrated list'? The former has a way of transforming into the latter on web forums no matter what the topic. People don't say what they really think is worst, just the one they hate the most relative to its reputation.

To me a big component of song badness is how often you're forced to listen to it. There are teenage garage bands out there playing way worse music than this. But I never have to listen to it.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Some more songs on the next tier down of badness among songs people are forced to listen to.

Limp Bizkit - Nookie, Rollin
Will Smith - Wild Wild West, Gettin Jiggy With It
Don't Know Band Name - Live Like We're Dying
Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry
Don't Know Band Name - "I used to sing for you do do do do do do"
Don't Know Band Name - "Don't look for answers, don't ask me why!"

In general any schmaltzy pop song that tries to give you generic sage life advice is the worst.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin wrote: Don't Know Band Name - Live Like We're Dying
Kris Allen, Tracy Chapman, and Billy Joel, respectively. Now I know the drawbacks of starting a Billy Joel poll here.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin wrote:Is this 'Worst' list or 'Most overrated list'? The former has a way of transforming into the latter on web forums no matter what the topic. People don't say what they really think is worst, just the one they hate the most relative to its reputation.

To me a big component of song badness is how often you're forced to listen to it. There are teenage garage bands out there playing way worse music than this. But I never have to listen to it.
I started this just talking about "least-favorite no matter the reputation" (as opposed to "least-favorite that everyone else likes," which I started a separate thread about). There's a lot of overlap, though.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

And I hate it when people don't like something just because it's popular. I just hate a song for objective lack of quality, though other people constantly telling me it's good when I disagree definitely sours my opinion of it more. I'd hate "Dear Future Husband" just as much if it peaked at #6 or #66.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Jirin wrote:Is this 'Worst' list or 'Most overrated list'? The former has a way of transforming into the latter on web forums no matter what the topic. People don't say what they really think is worst, just the one they hate the most relative to its reputation.

For my part, I steered clear of overrated signature songs. (On a slightly related note, how the F did I forget to list "My Ding-a-Ling"?) I listed popular musicians of purported significant talent who in many cases I think shouldn't even bother recording, at least not when the songs are of that quality. As for, say, garage bands with nothing resembling talent, they pretty much Darwin themselves out of existence.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Well, this is "least favorite" songs. Overrating probably does have a tiny factor into things, but the songs that I listed are that popular like "We Will Rock You" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit", I heard it before I even took into account critical and public popularity and intensely disliked them. And, in all honesty, I steered clear from the songs that I just happened to think were overrated and really went for the ones that I truly disliked.

And trust me, I disliked "All About That Bass" even before it hit #1. I hated it from the first second I heard it. I immediately thought it was the worst song ever. The repeated listens only seem to have solidified that opinion.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:So maybe I will take it off. "Music" stays, though.
Eh, "Music" is still better than anything Green Day has done, in my opinion.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

My least-favorite songs would all have to be things I am exposed somewhat regularly or from artists that I otherwise like and am therefore disappointed in. For example, I'm sure I would hate Limp Bizkit's “Nookie” (even typing “Limp Bizkit” and “Nookie” makes me roll my eyes) if exposed to it constantly, but I haven't heard that song—or anyone really talk about that song—in over a decade. I do not think about songs I dislike that much, so I don't have a list prepared. However, here are some off the top of my head that I either skip, change the radio, try to start a conversation to drown out, or otherwise loathe:

Arcade Fire – Wake Up
Buju Banton – Boom Bye Bye
Bush Tetras – Too Many Creeps
Daft Punk – The Prime Time of Your Life
Dizzee Rascal - Goin' Crazy
Fela Kuti – Lady
Jay-Z – Show Me What You Got
Jeff Buckley – Hallelujah
John Lennon – Imagine
Lou Reed – Metal Machine Music [whichever part]
M83 – Midnight City
Massive Attack – Teardrop
OutKast – Roses
R.E.M. - I'm Gonna DJ
Radiohead – Creep
Starship – We Built This City
U2 – One
Vampire Weekend – Diane Young
The Verve – The Drugs Don't Work
Macklemore – Same Love / Brad Paisley feat. LL Cool J – Accidental Racist [Both songs with good intentions but horrible executions. I was not a fan of either artist prior, but the contexts and concepts of both makes them disappointing anyway: For “Same Love,” a pro-gay rights song in a genre—one that I love, by the way—not especially known for progressive attitudes on gender and sexuality. For “Accidental Racist,” a generally well-reviewed country superstar checking his white privilege. What's not to love about that? (Oh, right, the song itself.) Admittedly, “Same Love” is not anywhere near as cringe-inducing as “Accidental Racist,” but a letdown all the same.]
Also,
The stuff I've heard from Lil' Wayne's rock album. [I like Wayne quite a bit, for the record.]
Most songs with an extended guitar solo.
Most grunge or pseudo-grunge that isn't Nirvana.
Essentially every trance song ever recorded, doubly so for Goa Trance.

I should note that I would never judge anyone for liking any of these songs. I am way too old to be thinking less of anyone for their tastes.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

A lot of these are very catchy, broadly appealing pop songs, or classic rock staples that have been played nonstop on the radio for decades. I usually like these kinds of songs, so even though they're the ones that get played the most, they're not my least favorites.
Jirin wrote:People don't say what they really think is worst, just the one they hate the most relative to its reputation.

I totally agree with this, and that's why it makes sense that those kinds of songs appear on these lists, when a lot of people think they're actually quite good. I rarely am forced to listen to a truly horrendous song more than a couple of times, so I usually forget these songs, and I'm not sure I could list my least favorites without spending time to go back and find them.

I will offer a defense of one song that came up multiple times here that I'm not sure anyone else here would defend...Same Love is my favorite hip-hop song of the decade. The message is excellent, the chorus is great, the main piano riff is great, I like the horns, bass, Mary Lambert's performance, pretty much everything about it.

Plenty of artists are far more polished than Macklemore as pure rappers, but I think his best songs are a lot more musically compelling, and this one in particular has more compelling lyrics than the vast majority of hip-hop songs.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

andyd1010 wrote: I will offer a defense of one song that came up multiple times here that I'm not sure anyone else here would defend...Same Love is my favorite hip-hop song of the decade. The message is excellent, the chorus is great, the main piano riff is great, I like the horns, bass, Mary Lambert's performance, pretty much everything about it.

Plenty of artists are far more polished than Macklemore as pure rappers, but I think his best songs are a lot more musically compelling, and this one in particular has more compelling lyrics than the vast majority of hip-hop songs.
Listen, I'm a Macklemore fan, and I actually really like a lot of that song. So count me as a defender as well. I think the thing is that people don't often consciously dig for terrible songs (unless you're a musical masochist like myself), so the stuff they've heard a lot and can't stand tends to be what they consciously call the worst.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

StevieFan13 wrote: Listen, I'm a Macklemore fan, and I actually really like a lot of that song. So count me as a defender as well. I think the thing is that people don't often consciously dig for terrible songs (unless you're a musical masochist like myself), so the stuff they've heard a lot and can't stand tends to be what they consciously call the worst.
Exactly. That's what I was saying earlier in my post. But still, there are plenty of worse songs that get played even more often.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I don't know "Same Love" well, I've actually only heard it once or twice. (I hardly ever listen to radio.) So I'm curious why it is getting so much hate.

Jeff, you wrote:
"a pro-gay rights song in a genre not especially known for progressive attitudes on gender and sexuality"
As far as what you wrote there, I'd say that's awesome. How could this be criticism from your side?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I think "Same Love" is a decent song. As a big supporter of LGBT rights, I definitely think that the song has a great message. But it's a bit too sentimental for me to really love. Someone once described the piano as something you'd hear in the background of a life insurance commercial and now I can never un-hear that. Also, there's a bit of an issue with the timing. While homophobia has always been an issue in rap, it's been on a pretty steady decline for the past 15 years. "Same Love" came out in 2012, at a time when most of the United States had come around to accepting gay marriage. It's a nice song and all, but it would've been a lot more courageous to release it back in 1997 or so (obviously not the fault of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis).

Finally, I leave you with Connor4Real's classic hit single "Equal Rights".
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I know my big issue with 'Same Love' (and a lot of my other queer-identifying friends) is how the first verse seems to go through a lot of trouble to remind us that Macklemore isn't gay. Otherwise, I think it's an alright song; I just don't get why Macklemore feels the need to talk about himself in a song that isn't really about him, and in a way that doesn't seem to add anything to the message he's going for. However, I also feel that many people are disingenuous when they discuss it (it's easy to see what he's going for, even if it isn't perfect).

If we're going to hate on Macklemore, how about "Thrift Shop"? It's a poor man's version of Le1f's "Wut" that for whatever reason became a #1 hit; I think that's another reason for animosity toward "Same Love." It feels like a straight man taking a queer man's song and turning it mainstream while getting rid of the context. "Same Love" then comes along as a rather brutal reminder that a straight white man can break onto the rap scene with a song about equal rights, while a more talented, actually queer rapper can be completely overshadowed. We are in a constant position of having other people speak for us, even when we're fully capable.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Henrik wrote:I don't know "Same Love" well, I've actually only heard it once or twice. (I hardly ever listen to radio.) So I'm curious why it is getting so much hate.

Jeff, you wrote:
"a pro-gay rights song in a genre not especially known for progressive attitudes on gender and sexuality"
As far as what you wrote there, I'd say that's awesome. How could this be criticism from your side?
Actually, it is awesome. However, in this case, this is actually one of my criticisms of the song. It's like Macklemore wants us to be reminded of this and he reminds us that he's straight but he's totally pro-gay rights. Somehow it's just annoying. Like it's more than awesome to be straight and pro-gay rights, but in this case, it's actually kind of condescending. It's like it has so many great intentions, it just epically fails in its execution. Oh, and the line about him being in third grade and thinking he was gay because he could draw... Well, Henrik and other forumers, I hope you'll excuse me when I cuss, but what a load of horseshit that was! I honestly think this song was the beginning of cringe.

But I must urge people to listen to Mary Lambert's "She Keeps Me Warm". It's the best (and only decent) part of "Same Love" and she expands on it.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

BleuPanda wrote:I know my big issue with 'Same Love' (and a lot of my other queer-identifying friends) is how the first verse seems to go through a lot of trouble to remind us that Macklemore isn't gay. Otherwise, I think it's an alright song; I just don't get why Macklemore feels the need to talk about himself in a song that isn't really about him, and in a way that doesn't seem to add anything to the message he's going for. However, I also feel that many people are disingenuous when they discuss it (it's easy to see what he's going for, even if it isn't perfect).
As a straight man, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but while I think it kinda stinks that it takes a straight guy to get a song about LGBT rights on the radio, I also think that any further exposure to a good cause that tries to get people on their side is at least noble for trying. Maybe, say, "We Are the World" sucks, but I think it's better that they exposed people to an actual issue the best way they know how (through music) than just staying mute about the whole thing.
BleuPanda wrote: If we're going to hate on Macklemore, how about "Thrift Shop"? It's a poor man's version of Le1f's "Wut" that for whatever reason became a #1 hit; I think that's another reason for animosity toward "Same Love." It feels like a straight man taking a queer man's song and turning it mainstream while getting rid of the context. "Same Love" then comes along as a rather brutal reminder that a straight white man can break onto the rap scene with a song about equal rights, while a more talented, actually queer rapper can be completely overshadowed. We are in a constant position of having other people speak for us, even when we're fully capable.
Aw. I like "Thrift Shop." I know most of it by heart.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

On a positive note, I've finally heard a Wham song I really like:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nick wrote:I think "Same Love" is a decent song. As a big supporter of LGBT rights, I definitely think that the song has a great message. But it's a bit too sentimental for me to really love. Someone once described the piano as something you'd hear in the background of a life insurance commercial and now I can never un-hear that. Also, there's a bit of an issue with the timing. While homophobia has always been an issue in rap, it's been on a pretty steady decline for the past 15 years. "Same Love" came out in 2012, at a time when most of the United States had come around to accepting gay marriage. It's a nice song and all, but it would've been a lot more courageous to release it back in 1997 or so (obviously not the fault of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis).

Finally, I leave you with Connor4Real's classic hit single "Equal Rights".
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments on "Same Love". I see now how the song became an easy target (very funny video/movieclip).

I've listened to the song again now, and really it is a bit way too sentimental.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Henrik wrote:Jeff, you wrote:
I don't really have much to add now that Nick, babydoll, and BleuPanda have had their say. The concept of the song is indeed awesome, my issues are with its execution. The hook and production don't do anything for me, and, while Macklemore is not exactly known as a great lyricist, here some of his lines (the one babydoll singled out in particular) are kind of embarrassing. I get that certain activities are read as “queer” or “straight” by some, but Macklemore essentially playing up a gay stereotype on a song that is pro-gay in intent is more than a little frustrating. I do not doubt that Macklemore being a good artist when he was a kid caused him to question his sexuality (I guess. . .), but as an adult—one obviously sympathetic to the struggles of the gay community—he should be able to understand that bringing that up in this song does more harm than good.

In sum, the song's sterling intentions alone cannot salvage it for me.

Edit: Back to Henrik's quote of me, I think you misread my intent, which is understandable given how I phrased it in my post. "Same Love" is disappointing because the concept of the song is awesome. That is, I wanted to love a hip-hop song that is pro-gay rights and was therefore disappointed that I found “Same Love” otherwise to be so bad that I could not love it.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

andyd1010 wrote:
Jirin wrote:People don't say what they really think is worst, just the one they hate the most relative to its reputation.

I totally agree with this, and that's why it makes sense that those kinds of songs appear on these lists, when a lot of people think they're actually quite good. I rarely am forced to listen to a truly horrendous song more than a couple of times, so I usually forget these songs, and I'm not sure I could list my least favorites without spending time to go back and find them.
The truly worst -- something on YouTube, or an American Idol reject, or if you could magically find the lamest demo tape ever recorded -- wouldn't inspire hostility from me, probably just a giggle or two. It's banished far away and makes no great claim on my life. I assume that's how the Shaggs or Wild Man Fischer or William Hung have escaped mention.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

“Same Love”. Yes, it’s too sentimental and too focused on Macklemore being straight, despite the good intentions. This somehow got me thinking about a song I’ve been listening to on repeat: “Slip Away” by Perfume Genius.

To briefly relate this back to my personal life: Occasionally, people comment that I don’t look or act very gay. As if that’s a compliment. As if there is something wrong with saying fuck you to outdated social norms and embracing the feminine in you. I love it that many people (including many people on this forum, clearly) are increasingly comprehending that queer people don’t need the approval of straight people to be their authentic selves.

But that’s maybe just one side of the story. Even Perfume Genius (real name Mike Hadreas), with his relaxed yet defiant depiction of gender and sexuality, is cautious about viewing changes in society too optimistically. He has indicated that “Slip Away” is about how many people in the world still sees gay love as wrong. To quote his own words: “Everybody kept asking me why I was writing about all this, when gay people can get married and it’s not illegal to suck dick in Wyoming or wherever — but there are still a lot of really horrible things going on right now.”

And it’s awesome that it sounds like the best song written by Kate Bush since “Hounds of Love”.

My favourite line: "They'll never break the shape we take."
...will keep us together.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I definitely hate Macklemore. Cacklemore. I agree about the over the top sentimentality of Same Love.

The thing that bothers me about him, and it's not his fault really, is that some people like for example Eric Bolling of Fox News, loves Macklemore but doesn't like Kanye. And I think that's racism.
I feel like that
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I was the biggest fan of Franz Ferdinand's masterpiece of a debut but when I first heard "Do You Want To" I wanted to cry I thought it was so bad. Like Gwen Stefani's "Watcha Waitin' For" it's not all terrible but it's the main chorus of the song that goes absolutely nowhere. Still not a fan of the song at all yet it's a masterpiece compared to some of the crap artists you'd expect to see on a regular basis on TMZ.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

PlasticRam wrote:The thing that bothers me about him, and it's not his fault really, is that some people like for example Eric Bolling of Fox News, loves Macklemore but doesn't like Kanye. And I think that's racism.
You've got to give me something else. Some people can prefer Macklemore over Kanye without it being necessarily due to racist reasons. People hate Kanye and with good reason. I mean, guy working for Fox News doesn't exactly help, but I'm not sold yet.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

babydoll wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:The thing that bothers me about him, and it's not his fault really, is that some people like for example Eric Bolling of Fox News, loves Macklemore but doesn't like Kanye. And I think that's racism.
You've got to give me something else. Some people can prefer Macklemore over Kanye without it being necessarily due to racist reasons. People hate Kanye and with good reason. I mean, guy working for Fox News doesn't exactly help, but I'm not sold yet.
True. My post was a bit edgy and I was a little drunk when I made it.
I feel like that
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
Not saying it's racist but it is Fox News. They have a lot of issues including racism.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Songs that drive me nuts:

Baha-Men - Who Let the Dogs Out?
Psy - Gangnam Style
Eros Ramazotti - Se Bastasse una Canzone
Robbie Williams - Feel
Celine Dion - I Drove All Night
DJ Ötzi - Anton aus Tirol
Los del Rio - Macarena
Eminem - My Name Is
Madonna - Hung Up
Scatman John - Scatman (Ski-ba-bop-ba-dop)
Bon Jovi - Always
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know
The Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

spiritualized wrote: Case in point :

Wait... Your French... How do you know this? Did this actually travel outside The Netherlands? :o
Believe me, there is more where that came from and much of it is even worse. I'll probably get back to that when I have more time.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

bonnielaurel wrote:Songs that drive me nuts:

Baha-Men - Who Let the Dogs Out?
Psy - Gangnam Style
Eros Ramazotti - Se Bastasse una Canzone
Robbie Williams - Feel
Celine Dion - I Drove All Night
DJ Ötzi - Anton aus Tirol
Los del Rio - Macarena
Eminem - My Name Is
Madonna - Hung Up
Scatman John - Scatman (Ski-ba-bop-ba-dop)
Bon Jovi - Always
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know
The Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
I was following you until you got to Gotye, but I can understand how someone could get tired of that song.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Ooh, that one's pretty gnarly.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

StevieFan13 wrote: I was following you until you got to Gotye, but I can understand how someone could get tired of that song.
Yes, I noticed that you had it your list of favorite Australian songs. Please forgive me, to quote my least favorite Bryan Adams song.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

"Hung Up" is my favorite Madonna song! How can anyone not like it?
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Nick wrote:"Hung Up" is my favorite Madonna song! How can anyone not like it?
Count me among the detractors. I don't get the appeal. I don't like the beat of the song, and it doesn't escape from that beat for 6 minutes. The chorus is alright, but the song doesn't seem to go anywhere for me, and for a song to be stuck in a groove, that groove needs to be a lot more appealing...Granted, I tend to have a problem with songs like that in general, and many of them get plenty of acclaim. I still don't get why.

If Same Love's piano riff is something out of a life insurance commercial, then I'll take a life insurance commercial over Hung Up any day of the week.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Jirin wrote: Don't Know Band Name - Live Like We're Dying
Kris Allen, Tracy Chapman, and Billy Joel, respectively. Now I know the drawbacks of starting a Billy Joel poll here.
Singer is definitely not Tracy Chapman in the version I forcefully heard. It was a guy with a falsetto voice.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I dislike it because it features a prominent sample of an ABBA song ("Gimme Gimme Gimme") that did the whole dance-pop/synthpop thing a LOT better. If you're going to rip off a great song, at least do it justice.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
I dislike it because it features a prominent sample of an ABBA song ("Gimme Gimme Gimme") that did the whole dance-pop/synthpop thing a LOT better. If you're going to rip off a great song, at least do it justice.
It did it justice. Hell, it did it better than the original which wasn't even great by ABBA standards. Madonna took the best part of it, the sample, and actually applied it well.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

babydoll wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
It did it justice. Hell, it did it better than the original which wasn't even great by ABBA standards. Madonna took the best part of it, the sample, and actually applied it well.
We'll agree to disagree then. ;) "Gimme Gimme Gimme" is one of the best things ABBA has ever done (and one of the greatest things to come out of the disco-to-synthpop transition era).
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
babydoll wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote: I dislike it because it features a prominent sample of an ABBA song ("Gimme Gimme Gimme") that did the whole dance-pop/synthpop thing a LOT better. If you're going to rip off a great song, at least do it justice.
We'll agree to disagree then. ;) "Gimme Gimme Gimme" is one of the best things ABBA has ever done (and one of the greatest things to come out of the disco-to-synthpop transition era).
I'm sorry, then. Lyrics were terrible. Vocals (which are usually ABBA's strong point) were terrible. Instrumental was good. That's it.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Songs I truly hate :

The new winner : ILOVEMAKKONEN - Tuesday (is that seriously acclaimed ? Seriously ????)

Andreas Dorau - Girls in Love
Crazy Frog - Axel F
Moos - Au Nom de la Rose (we had a bunch of songs in the 90s that pretended they were deeply romantic but were actually awfully sexist and douchebagy)
Poetic Lovers - Darling Faisons l'Amour ce Soir (ditto)
Tragédie - Hey Oh
Félicien - Cum-Cum Mania (which I guess is a funnier title in English, at least)
Indochine - 3ème Sexe, Marylin, 3 nuits par semaine, Tes Yeux Noirs, Electrastar... by far the band I despise the most
Johnny Hallyday - Tous Ensemble
Matt Houston - R&B de Rue
Tony Parker - Balance-Toi
Les Béruriers Noirs - Salut à Toi
Eiffel 65 - Move Your Body (yes, they did worse than Blue)
DJ Bobo - Chihuahua
Maitre Gims - Bella
I hate pretty much anything by Maître Gims and Black M, but honestly can not make a distinction between the 2.

Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day
Korn - Creep (worst cover ever ?)
Tribal King - Façon Sex
The Go! Team - My World
William Baldé - Rayon de Soleil
Pretty much anything by Claude François
Pretty much anything by Skip the Use and Shaka Ponk (I can stand a couple Skip the Use songs, though I have trouble differenciating both bands)

As far as "most overrated", I'd cast a vote for The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize and John Lennon - God (well, I guess Imagine is more overrated, but God is a way worst song).
Last edited by Nassim on Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

bonnielaurel wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: I was following you until you got to Gotye, but I can understand how someone could get tired of that song.
Yes, I noticed that you had it your list of favorite Australian songs. Please forgive me, to quote my least favorite Bryan Adams song.
What the heck, to quote my least-favorite song ever.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Also that Kanye song where he enlists Chris Rock to brag about his vaginal reupholstery skills.

Primal Scream - Pills is pretty terrible. I otherwise love the album, but I can't make it 45 seconds into this song.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Jirin wrote:Also that Kanye song where he enlists Chris Rock to brag about his vaginal reupholstery skills.
I love that. It's perfect IMO.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Jirin wrote:Also that Kanye song where he enlists Chris Rock to brag about his vaginal reupholstery skills.
I'm a fan too :lol:
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
I'm a fan too :lol:
Yeah! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Rob wrote:

Wait... Your French... How do you know this? Did this actually travel outside The Netherlands? :o
Believe me, there is more where that came from and much of it is even worse. I'll probably get back to that when I have more time.

I discovered Frans through an MP3 exchange club (at the time when the internet was too slow)... and no, it's not some dirty filthy way to satisfy my needs :)
On one of the DVDs was "Live In Ahoy 2003". I listened to it. It left me dumbfounded, unable to move a muscle for a week, except for a twitch of the eye.

No need to explain - I picked a random song from the Bauer on Spotify, knowing it would be dire anyway :)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

spiritualized wrote: No need to explain - I picked a random song from the Bauer on Spotify, knowing it would be dire anyway :)
Well, this was his biggest hit. If you lived around here in 2002 when it came out you wouldn't have been able to avoid it if you tried. It was everywhere, though it immediately became something of a joke. Frans Bauer is rather big star, but not among music lovers. The only redeeming quality he has (as a musician that is, he seems to be a nice guy in general) is that he doesn't seem to take anything too seriously himself. I've noticed that if someone wants to make jokes about his songs he is the first to join in the laughter. It's as if he is fully aware how bad his music is and still seems to enjoy making it (and there is an audience for it, even if it is rather specific). It makes him an oddly endearing personality, even if you couldn't pay me to listen to anything he sings. And he belongs to a group of specifically Dutch musicians of which he isn't even the worst...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”