New favorite songs

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

New favorite songs

Post by StevieFan13 »

Just some songs I've heard recently that I know I can add to my all time list.
- Adina Howard - Freak Like Me
- AC/DC - It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll) (bite me! :D )
- Redgum - I Was Only 19 (A Walk in the Light Green)
- Buffy Sainte-Marie - Universal Soldier
- Stevie Wonder - Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing
- Aretha Franklin - The Weight
- The Church - The Unguarded Moment
- The Easybeats - Friday on My Mind (well, I had actually heard it before, but I rediscovered it while going through Australian music and it's irresistible)
- The Three O'Clock - With a Cantaloupe Girlfriend
- Prince - I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
- Hilltop Hoods - The Nosebleed Section
- Paramore - Misery Business
- Morris Chestnut - Too Darn Soulful
- The Barracudas - I Can't Pretend
- Divinyls - Boys in Town
Also, not specific, but the stuff I've heard on my Israeli rock 5-CD collection I got while I was away is unbelievable.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: New favorite songs

Post by bootsy »

Morris Chestnut? I didn't know he recorded a song. Unless that's a different Morris Chestnut.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:Morris Chestnut? I didn't know he recorded a song. Unless that's a different Morris Chestnut.
I believe you're thinking of Morris Chestnut Jr. This appears to be Morris Chestnut Sr., if this northern soul forum is to be believed:
https://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulforum ... -chestnut/
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I've been going through the top 50 songs for each year on acclaimed music (I've always felt behind on songs compared to albums), in reverse starting with the 2010s. So, I'm finding a lot of cool songs I haven't heard before, or at least never listened to separated from their album. Unfortunately, a lot of those I've only listened to once, but I marked a score down which means I'll likely revisit the best in my quarterly list updates.

However, some songs immediately stand above the rest recently. The biggest I'd say is Underworld - Rez; discovering old electronic tracks is always fun, but there's something about this track that feels like a revelation. It's so peaceful, yet always moving. I could see it instantly cracking my top 50, which rarely happens.

Another song I've known forever but finally click with is Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al. There's something about that entire album that is so bouncy, and the rhythm on You Can Call Me Al specifically really blows me away.

A lot of my listening here has driven me to revisit classic albums I didn't click with the first time. Husker Du has really benefited, and I should listen to Live Through This (I loved Doll Parts and Miss World after having paid no attention to the band before). I feel like there's a lot to pick through.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

StevieFan13 wrote:Just some songs I've heard recently that I know I can add to my all time list.
Cool picks! "Freak Like Me" would probably make my top 1000. It's like the first R&B song to really push that sexy edge. And it works very well, feels real. Too bad her other later songs weren't as good :(
Is the Aretha song a cover of The Band's song?
You all know I like Paramore, and it's good to see some love there. If you like this song, you should listen to the whole album Riot!

Edit: I just realized the irony of the AC/DC pick :P
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Just some songs I've heard recently that I know I can add to my all time list.
Cool picks! "Freak Like Me" would probably make my top 1000. It's like the first R&B song to really push that sexy edge. And it works very well, feels real. Too bad her other later songs weren't as good :(
Is the Aretha song a cover of The Band's song?
You all know I like Paramore, and it's good to see some love there. If you like this song, you should listen to the whole album Riot!

Edit: I just realized the irony of the AC/DC pick :P
Thanks! Yeah, I love adding the G-funk sound to an R&B song, and it works really well in this case.

It is, and it's just as awesome as it sounds.

While I've been slowly listening to more and more Paramore, it was actually the new singles that prompted me to listen to "Misery Business" for the first time, and it didn't disappoint. So, now I've basically heard all the major 2000s' pop-punk bands' biggest songs (in short: Welcome to the Black Parade > Misery Business > I Write Sins, Not Tragedies > Sugar, We're Going Down).
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote:Morris Chestnut? I didn't know he recorded a song. Unless that's a different Morris Chestnut.
I believe you're thinking of Morris Chestnut Jr. This appears to be Morris Chestnut Sr., if this northern soul forum is to be believed:
https://www.soul-source.co.uk/soulforum ... -chestnut/
Ahhhhhh ok. Yeah I remember him. Thanks
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

For "Freak Like Me", can I actually suggest the Sugababes version? It's basically the lyrics over Gary Numan's "Are 'Friends' Electric?" and it works so, so well.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:For "Freak Like Me", can I actually suggest the Sugababes version? It's basically the lyrics over Gary Numan's "Are 'Friends' Electric?" and it works so, so well.
I've heard good things about it. I'll give it a listen.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:For "Freak Like Me", can I actually suggest the Sugababes version? It's basically the lyrics over Gary Numan's "Are 'Friends' Electric?" and it works so, so well.
OK, yeah, that's pretty great. I think I might still like the original more, but a few more listens and that might change (and why didn't you tell me before the 2000 poll?! Also, reminds me how much I like Are "Friends" Electric).

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”