New Prince EP?

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

New Prince EP?

Post by Moonbeam »

A new EP, Deliverance, containing tracks recorded between 2006-2008 has been made available at https://www.princerogersnelson.com/. Apparently, the estate are suing over its release due to master/publishing issues, so listen while you can!

You can hear the song "Deliverance" here for now:

https://soundcloud.com/user-389440360/deliverance
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: New Prince EP?

Post by StevieFan13 »

Goody! Now to listen and hope it isn't pretentious as fuck (because, with all due respect to one of my all-time favorite musicians, he could be pretentious as fuck, especially when discussing religion).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

The songs:
01 Deliverance
02 I Am
03 Touch Me
04 Sunrise Sunset
05 No One Else
06 I Am (extended)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

StevieFan13 wrote:Goody! Now to listen and hope it isn't pretentious as fuck (because, with all due respect to one of my all-time favorite musicians, he could be pretentious as fuck, especially when discussing religion).
I suppose this is true - The Rainbow Children in particular can be a difficult listen. But "Deliverance", at least, sounds fantastic to these ears! Haven't heard the rest yet, but looking forward to this little treat.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

It's the Prince I like. Guitar, guitar and more guitar.

01 Deliverance: 8.5/10
02 I Am: 9/10
03 Touch Me: 6/10
04 Sunrise Sunset: Bridge
05 No One Else: 8.5/10
06 I Am (extended): 9/10
Last edited by Romain on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Well, say goodbye to buying it on iTunes or streaming it.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

As our hopes for this new collection of unreleased Prince material are crushed, here's some good news about another collection of unreleased Prince material (and some famously good released material):
http://diffuser.fm/prince-purple-rain-deluxe-edition/
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

StevieFan13 wrote:As our hopes for this new collection of unreleased Prince material are crushed, here's some good news about another collection of unreleased Prince material (and some famously good released material):
In all fairness, I'd much rather have unreleased Prince gems picked from the vault by members of his estate and the Revolution than a few random tracks he recorded at a small studio. No artist deserves the debacle that has been the posthumous releases from Michael Jackson
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

notbrianeno wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:As our hopes for this new collection of unreleased Prince material are crushed, here's some good news about another collection of unreleased Prince material (and some famously good released material):
In all fairness, I'd much rather have unreleased Prince gems picked from the vault by members of his estate and the Revolution than a few random tracks he recorded at a small studio. No artist deserves the debacle that has been the posthumous releases from Michael Jackson
Well, Pitchfork liked 'em. But then again, if Prince, MJ, or Bowie are involved, Pitchfork gives 'em a big sloppy kiss and sends them on their way.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

StevieFan13 wrote:
notbrianeno wrote:
Well, Pitchfork liked 'em. But then again, if Prince, MJ, or Bowie are involved, Pitchfork gives 'em a big sloppy kiss and sends them on their way.
Well, Pitchfork may be drooling over Prince now that he is dead, but they consistently gave him among his worst reviews over the the past 10+ years.

Musicology: 5.8
3121: 6.0
Planet Earth: 4.8
Lotusflow3r: 4.9
Mplsound: 5.7
Exlier: 3.2
Art Official Age: 6.5
PlectrumElectrum: 3.8
HitnRun: Phase One: 4.5
HitnRun: Phase Two: 4.7

It makes their posthumous gushing ring hollow for me.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Not even posthumous - two Prince tracks in the top 20 of their '80s list, including #1. I will say, though, that having two Bowie tracks, a Prince song (not even his best), and an MJ song in the top 10 of their '70s list was a bit fishy. I mean, they're all good and justifiable for a top 10, but I dunno...
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

StevieFan13 wrote:Not even posthumous - two Prince tracks in the top 20 of their '80s list, including #1. I will say, though, that having two Bowie tracks, a Prince song (not even his best), and an MJ song in the top 10 of their '70s list was a bit fishy. I mean, they're all good and justifiable for a top 10, but I dunno...
I think we are both agreeing that MJ, Bowie, and Prince have all gotten posthumous bumps, but that they were highly acclaimed before their deaths as well.

I do think that Pitchfork being blase at best about all of his work after, say, 1991 makes it seem like they don't understand him, though, and makes me feel that they are anointing his 80s work more out of a sense of duty than anything.

I understand that they don't have to like everything, and almost all Prince fans concede that his golden era ended by 1995 at the latest, but there is more value to his work after that point than he is given credit for.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”