Candidates for "Joe's Never Heard"

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Candidates for "Joe's Never Heard"

Post by StevieFan13 »

My friends, I'm ashamed to admit that I fibbed a little when I first joined the forum. In the early, early times I was on the forum, I'll admit that I pretended I had heard some albums that I had not, in fact, heard. It was unprofessional and phony, and I apologize. So, to rectify that, I'm starting a new series here, inspired by the YouTube series "Tamara's Never Seen" (in which a comedian watches famous movies that she's somehow never seen before). Welcome to Joe's Never Heard!

Unlike that series, I'm also willing to take suggestions based on your personal favorites, so hit me up and if I haven't heard them, I'll add them to the pipeline. But here are the first albums I'm going to (sooner rather than later) cover here. And bear in mind, even if I haven't heard the whole album, in a lot of cases I'll still have heard the majority of songs from the album (as in the case of Nevermind - you think I'd come onto a music forum not having heard a hefty chunk of Nevermind at least?). So, the first batch:

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out (I'll probably get to all of their albums at some point)
Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Television - Marquee Moon
Nirvana - Nevermind
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Again, disregard the ranking I did of the AM top 100. I'm sorry I did it without more expertise beforehand. But this should be a fun experiment!
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Candidates for "Joe's Never Heard"

Post by StevieFan13 »

I've automatically realized that album #11 should be Dusty in Memphis, for babydoll's sake.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:My friends, I'm ashamed to admit that I fibbed a little when I first joined the forum. In the early, early times I was on the forum, I'll admit that I pretended I had heard some albums that I had not, in fact, heard. It was unprofessional and phony, and I apologize. So, to rectify that, I'm starting a new series here, inspired by the YouTube series "Tamara's Never Seen" (in which a comedian watches famous movies that she's somehow never seen before). Welcome to Joe's Never Heard!

Unlike that series, I'm also willing to take suggestions based on your personal favorites, so hit me up and if I haven't heard them, I'll add them to the pipeline. But here are the first albums I'm going to (sooner rather than later) cover here. And bear in mind, even if I haven't heard the whole album, in a lot of cases I'll still have heard the majority of songs from the album (as in the case of Nevermind - you think I'd come onto a music forum not having heard a hefty chunk of Nevermind at least?). So, the first batch:

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Sleater-Kinney - Call the Doctor
Nirvana - Nevermind

Again, disregard the ranking I did of the AM top 100. I'm sorry I did it without more expertise beforehand. But this should be a fun experiment!
Me and you can't be friends anymore. I don't know if I can have this fibbing. A little disappointing. I thought more of you Stevie. We need to come correct on AM in 2017.

Just kidding of course. Don't feel bad the only album in Am top 100 I haven't heard is Carole King -Tapestry. Before I came here I hadn't heard 84 of the top 100.Now that's some progress.
Last edited by bootsy on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

StevieFan13 wrote: Sleater-Kinney - Call the Doctor
That's a great album but if you don't know Sleater-Kinney yet, that's not the priority (I'd say it's #5).
If you already know a few albums by them, well then just go ahead ;)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nassim wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: Sleater-Kinney - Call the Doctor
That's a great album but if you don't know Sleater-Kinney yet, that's not the priority (I'd say it's #5).
If you already know a few albums by them, well then just go ahead ;)
Truth be told, it should probably be Dig Me Out - they're a band with a lot of songs I like (I'd call them the tightest three-piece band since the Police) but I shamefully haven't heard any of their albums in full.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:My friends, I'm ashamed to admit that I fibbed a little when I first joined the forum. In the early, early times I was on the forum, I'll admit that I pretended I had heard some albums that I had not, in fact, heard. It was unprofessional and phony, and I apologize. So, to rectify that, I'm starting a new series here, inspired by the YouTube series "Tamara's Never Seen" (in which a comedian watches famous movies that she's somehow never seen before). Welcome to Joe's Never Heard!

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Sleater-Kinney - Call the Doctor
Nirvana - Nevermind

Me and you can't be friends anymore. I don't know if I can have this fibbing. A little disappointing. I thought more of you Stevie. We need to come correct on AM in 2017.

Just kidding of course. Don't feel bad the only album in Am top 100 I haven't heard is Carole King -Tapestry. Before I came hear I hadn't heard 84 of the top 100.Now that's some progress.
Had me sweating for a second, Bootsy! At the moment, I've only heard a pitiful 16/100 albums in the upper tier. Hoping to fix that - a lot of those artists are ones I really admire, but mostly know for their songs as opposed to their albums (including - most shamefully - Stevie Wonder).
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Actually you shouldn't be ashamed. You're on a path to wonderful discoveries which i seem to want to recreate forever by digging deeper in the multitude of records available.
What interests me is your feedback when listening to the acclaimed masterpieces. So share away !
Ps : you could always start by checking out all the number ones from the forumers in the all time album thread....
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Until I came to this site, I had probably heard 3 albums in my life. It was a concept I didnt quite get until then (listening to the same artist for 40 minutes straight!?!? That was somehow a strange idea to me...). It's never too late to start.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Thanks you guys. I don't feel as ashamed anymore - in fact, I'm more excited than anything. I'm ready to increase my musical knowledge and this is just the place to do it.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

No shame! I've been listening to albums since 1989, and I still haven't heard a lot of the top 100. Case in point - I've only heard 4 of the 10 albums you list at the top as candidates. Of those 4, my favorite is Marquee Moon, but the most intriguing one to me is probably The Low End Theory (which I should listen to for the first time someday).
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

I also hadn't listened to many albums before joining the forum. I listened to all of the top 100 in the fall, and then I added all of your top-100 song lists and have been listening to all the good ones I didn't know before. There's about 300 I still feel like I haven't listened to enough yet, and I'm going to whittle those down before returning to the top albums. Meanwhile I've been listening to all of the highly-ranked albums from the early 2000s before voting in those polls. I'd like to get through the top 500 albums before submitting a top-500 list, but I don't think that's going to be possible.

There's a lot of great music out there to listen to! Clearly you're interested in exploring it like I am, but it takes a lot of time, and we're young, so there's only so much we could have reasonably listened to by now.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Hey, you shouldn't be ashamed. Discovering the classics is one of the most thrilling experiences you can have in popular music. I still have to listen to many of the "greats", but I prefer to make my own pathways, picking the albums that look most personally appealing instead of looking only at critical acclaim. I can say that, when both features coincide, you have some amazing discoveries. I still remember the first time I heard VU and Nico (without knowing it was such an acclaimed record), Rubber Soul, The Queen Is Dead and many others. Even if some of them are not such personal favorites anymore, few albums have been as fascinating in their first auditions like these classics. Enjoy!
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Discovering the canon was an exciting time for me, and I envy some of your upcoming first listens. But by far the most liberating realization I've had regarding these classic album lists was when I early on realized I did not owe any of these works of art my respect, but rather, they had to work to gain my approval and love. We have a tremendous variety of musical taste on this forum: from bubblegum pop and hair metal to avant-garde jazz and hip-hop. Have fun with the canon, but realize that its the "Mount Vernon" of music (lots of old/dead white american/english men), and don't let it limit your exploration and growth, or make you question your decisions when ranking albums by enjoyment.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Listen to The ArchAndroid or The Electric Lady by Janelle Monae, she's influenced by R&B greats, but she makes the music much more futuristic. I'd think they'd be up your alley.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

notbrianeno wrote:Discovering the canon was an exciting time for me, and I envy some of your upcoming first listens. But by far the most liberating realization I've had regarding these classic album lists was when I early on realized I did not owe any of these works of art my respect, but rather, they had to work to gain my approval and love. We have a tremendous variety of musical taste on this forum: from bubblegum pop and hair metal to avant-garde jazz and hip-hop. Have fun with the canon, but realize that its the "Mount Vernon" of music (lots of old/dead white american/english men), and don't let it limit your exploration and growth, or make you question your decisions when ranking albums by enjoyment.
I second this emphatically. I remember the first time I tried to make an all-time songs list for this forum many years ago, I felt like I was obligated to include certain works, say, "Like a Rolling Stone" or "Johnny B. Goode". But as I evolved in my tastes - and even though I enjoy much of Mount Vernon - all my lists and tastes since then have been focused idiosyncratically on what I myself respond to. It's the reason my lists always skew left of center of what the forum generally goes for, and I couldn't be happier.

That being said, DAMN. may well just be my favorite album of the year, so it goes in all directions.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

acroamor wrote:
notbrianeno wrote:Discovering the canon was an exciting time for me, and I envy some of your upcoming first listens. But by far the most liberating realization I've had regarding these classic album lists was when I early on realized I did not owe any of these works of art my respect, but rather, they had to work to gain my approval and love. We have a tremendous variety of musical taste on this forum: from bubblegum pop and hair metal to avant-garde jazz and hip-hop. Have fun with the canon, but realize that its the "Mount Vernon" of music (lots of old/dead white american/english men), and don't let it limit your exploration and growth, or make you question your decisions when ranking albums by enjoyment.
I second this emphatically. I remember the first time I tried to make an all-time songs list for this forum many years ago, I felt like I was obligated to include certain works, say, "Like a Rolling Stone" or "Johnny B. Goode". But as I evolved in my tastes - and even though I enjoy much of Mount Vernon - all my lists and tastes since then have been focused idiosyncratically on what I myself respond to. It's the reason my lists always skew left of center of what the forum generally goes for, and I couldn't be happier.

That being said, DAMN. may well just be my favorite album of the year, so it goes in all directions.
You're both right. I'll admit, when I looked over my favorite songs list, I was a little embarrassed by the amount of Mount Vernon there, but I also realized it was my personal taste and I shouldn't be embarrassed by that. That being said, I'm also hoping that my musical journeys lead me far beyond Mount Vernon.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Listen to The ArchAndroid or The Electric Lady by Janelle Monae, she's influenced by R&B greats, but she makes the music much more futuristic. I'd think they'd be up your alley.
I've heard Tightrope and liked it, so I imagine I'll like the rest of the album too.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
Don't feel bad the only album in Am top 100 I haven't heard is Carole King -Tapestry. Before I came here I hadn't heard 84 of the top 100.Now that's some progress.
Now, that I HAVE heard, and I highly recommend you check it out as well.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Don't feel bad the only album in Am top 100 I haven't heard is Carole King -Tapestry. Before I came here I hadn't heard 84 of the top 100.Now that's some progress.
Now, that I HAVE heard, and I highly recommend you check it out as well.
Yeah I think I will very soon.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”