Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.7

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.7

Post by Brad »

Welcome to Round 1.7 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 25th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?t ... Albums%208

Match-ups:
1. Mano Negra - Puta's Fever vs. David Bowie - The Next Day
2. Peter Gabriel - Passion vs. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
3. Los Lobos - La pistola y el corazón vs. Roy Orbison & Friends - A Black and White Night
4. Sun Electric - 30.7.94 Live vs. Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress

We'll go back in time to that mystic land
Where the dew drops cry and the cats meow!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.7

Post by Bang Jan »

Passion

6 | Mano Negra | Puta's Fever
3 | David Bowie | The Next Day

1 | Peter Gabriel | Passion
2 | Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | No More Shall We Part

7 | Los Lobos | La pistola y el corazón 
5 | Roy Orbison & Friends | A Black and White Night Live

8 | Sun Electric | 30.7.94 Live
4 | Godspeed! You Black Emperor | Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress

Favourite song of the week: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds | As I Sat Sadly by Her Side
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Mano Negra - Puta's Fever (1989) vs. David Bowie - The Next Day (2013)

2. Peter Gabriel - Passion (Music for The Last Temptation of Christ) (1989) vs. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part (2001)

3. Los Lobos - La pistola y el corazón (1988) vs. Roy Orbison and Friends - A Black and White Night Live (1989)

4. Sun Electric - 30.7.94 (1995) vs. Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress (2015)

Favourite song from every album:
King Kong Five | Where Are We Now? | The Feeling Begins | Fifteen Feet of Pure White Snow | Que nadie sepa mi sufrir | In Dreams | Castor & Pollux | Piss Crowns Are Trebled

Favourite song of the week: Where Are We Now?

Outstanding week, excellent albums...
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

1. Mano Negra - Puta's Fever
Ooooooohhhhh shit, what a dilemna. I give the point to The Mano Negra for give their a chance.
2. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
3. Roy Orbison & Friends - A Black and White Night
4. Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress[/color]
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

2. Peter Gabriel - Passion vs. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
3. Los Lobos - La pistola y el corazón vs. Roy Orbison & Friends - A Black and White Night
4. Sun Electric - 30.7.94 Live vs. Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress

Some strong competition there, especially in match-ups 1 & 4.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

So many non-Spotify this week!

For now:
The Next Day 82 - Puta's Fever 80
La Pistola y el Corazon 81 - A Black And White Night 65
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Wow, tremendous fall in participation, from 15 to 5 voters in one week. Hope people are still planning to vote...
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Puta's Fever
30.7.94 Live
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

yes, not have had time to listen... but have started now :)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Passion 83 - No More Shall We Part 83 (Abstain. Will cast a vote if there is a tie.)
Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress 88 - 30.7.94 Live 84

Passion is the most I've enjoyed Peter Gabriel. Maybe he is a talented guy and I just dislike his usual approach to songwriting.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Mano Negra is a good discovery.
I feel like that
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Honorio wrote:Wow, tremendous fall in participation, from 15 to 5 voters in one week. Hope people are still planning to vote...
I'm on my way! (Still have a couple of albums to listen to after work tonight.)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Usually I have only heard one album before. Sometimes two. Quite a few times none. But this time I had heard four albums before!

3. Mano Negra - Puta's Fever vs. 4. David Bowie - The Next Day
A difficult choice between an inventive, playful album and a moving one. I went with the surprise factor of Mano Negra, though The Next Day is a very good effort of Bowie. Sometimes sublime, but overall overshadowed by his biggest masterpieces.

1. Peter Gabriel - Passion vs. 2. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
I thought last weeks third matchup was inhumane, but this choice is even harder. These are simply two albums that move me deeply. The final choice is arbitrary, but I vote for Passion because it delivers something unusual for a Peter Gabriel album, while Cave took a familiar route (although he does so rather brilliantly). Gabriel took his love for world music in a new direction and found new depths in himself. Surely a masterpiece. Also the soundtrack to one of very few Scorsese films I have not yet seen.

8. Los Lobos - La pistola y el corazón vs. 7. Roy Orbison & Friends - A Black and White Night
Well, this matchup doesn't begin to compare to the second one. I was already familiar with both albums, but still both feel inessential. A Black and White Night is really good on itself, but really, this is Roy Orbison basically singing his hits exactly as they sound in the studio. A little bit lesser, because his vocal powers have limited due to age. Still, I prefer it over a lesser Los Lobos album of the era. It feels professional, but uninspired to me. Especially in this years Moderately Acclaimed, which seem to have a particular focus on strong Latin-flavored music.

5. Sun Electric - 30.7.94 Live vs. 6. Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress
Another tough call. Sun Electric convince me during the whole duration of the album. I like everything about it, but on Asunder we have the two tracks that bookend the album that easily overpower anything on 30.7.94 Live. On the other hand, it also contains two songs that really make it lose momentum and that meander in a rather uninteresting way. I go with consistency on this one.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

Thanks!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

David Bowie - The Next Day
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
Roy Orbison & Friends - A Black and White Night
Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress

Favorite album I couldn't vote for: Peter Gabriel - Passion (my second favorite of the week)

I really dropped the ball on the Nick Cave album for the 2001 poll last month. For some baffling reason, I'd never heard the album before (made worse by the fact that I'm a big fan and I really like the two songs I already knew from "No More Shall We Part.") I didn't have a lot of time last month to listen to new music, so I didn't get around to hearing it. If I had, it would've been near the top of my list, which would've put it in a better position to make the final decade list. My apologies to those who voted for the album last month - I should've been right there with you.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

1. Mano Negra - Puta's Fever (4.5) vs. David Bowie - The Next Day (4.0)
Puta's Fever eclectic mix of Latin and French rock and Punk works. Top 275 album of AT for me.
I am very pleasantly surprised by The Next Day, consistent quality and less gloomy than its successor.

2. Peter Gabriel - Passion (3.5)vs. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part (4.0)
Passion's first half hour is a classic, it puts you in a world-music environment which matches the atmosphere I would expect from the movie. As for Nick Cave's album, he really never goes wrong. Beautiful songs, dropping the rock element from his previous albums, but to good effect.

3. Los Lobos - La pistola y el corazón (3.5) vs. Roy Orbison & Friends - A Black and White Night (2.5)
Two discoveries - and Los Lobos international flavor wins easily. The whole atmosphere in my house changed when I put this on. Excellent cover of Piaf's "La Foule" too. I do like Orbison back catalogue, but as Rob said, nothing special about this record.

4. Sun Electric - 30.7.94 Live (3.5) vs. Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress (4.0)
Difficult choice. Sun Electric's live recording was one of my first ambient purchase ever. It severely lacks in originality though, at moments sounding exactly like the Orb. On the other hand GYBE delivers a great record, as usual.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1 more hour to vote!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

jamieW wrote:I really dropped the ball on the Nick Cave album for the 2001 poll last month.
You're not alone - I did too. This album is great. I own it, but haven't listened for awhile and am really glad it came up here.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

A mere 12 voters this week... dropping rapidly (and we're not even halfway through the first round yet!)!:
Bang Jan
Brad
DaveC
Honorio
jamieW
Jirin
Kingoftonga
Nassim
PlasticRam
Rob
Romain
spiritualized

Winners:
1. David Bowie - The Next Day over Mano Negra - Puta's Fever 7-5
2. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part over Peter Gabriel - Passion 5-4
3. Roy Orbison & Friends - A Black and White Night over Los Lobos - La pistola y el corazón 7-3
4. Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress over Sun Electric - 30.7.94 Live 8-3

Round 1.8 up soon!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”