Kendrick Lamar- Damn: Discussion Thread

bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: Kendrick Lamar- Damn: Discussion Thread

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:From what I've heard, it's definitely as good, but not better. I think music critics are just happy that there's a rapper other than Chance who's putting in a shred of effort
There's plenty of other rappers that are putting in a shred of effort besides Chance and Kendrick, come on now.
But none as popular. In terms of rappers with major buzz, I can only think of a few other widely-acclaimed current rappers (Future notwithstanding). I know there are plenty of great rappers out there, but none of them are as influential at this current moment.
You can probably put Drake in there. Whether you like him or not he belongs in there.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

May 25th is my new prediction. That's when Jesus rose to heaven (Ascension).

I feel like the leader of a world end cult :mrgreen:
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

PlasticRam wrote:May 25th is my new prediction. That's when Jesus rose to heaven (Ascension).

I feel like the leader of a world end cult :mrgreen:
The world doesn't really begin until we get the new Kendrick album.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

I guess I'm alone in thinking that Pride is by far the best song on the album and Humble is the worst.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

andyd1010 wrote:I guess I'm alone in thinking that Pride is by far the best song on the album and Humble is the worst.
They're both in the top 5 of the album, for me.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
andyd1010 wrote:I guess I'm alone in thinking that Pride is by far the best song on the album and Humble is the worst.
They're both in the top 5 of the album, for me.
Okay, maybe it's not the worst, but I'm a little disappointed it's the one at the top of the charts.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I like Damn better than TPAB just because, I think Kendrick Lamar is incredibly talented but I find it incredibly grating when he does embellished character voices for his songs that fixate on excess repetition of un-aesthetic phrases. Several of his songs do that on TPAB.

I will agree that the critical community is looser with the hyperbole in the case where quality intersects with mainstream genres, which in the current musical climate only happens in the realm of hip-hop. But I think, at most, it will make critics give an album a 10 instead of a 9 or a 9 instead of an 8. It makes critics hedge their praise less when the fear of appearing pretentious has been removed.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I love it. The songs are catchy, and fun, and sometimes have so very little to them. But that just lets Kendrick shine. "Humble" is a good example, that beat and piano in the background sounds like the sort of thing a child would come up, but the rapping is great. Every word fits its metre, lovely rhymes, and lots of personality.

Haven't yet really delved into the lyrics of the album, though I very much enjoy "Fear"''s story behind it. Looking forward to it.

My initial thoughts is that it falls below GKMC (my favourite album of the decade), but around the level of TPAB. TPAB probably has more highlights ("These Walls", "The Blacker the Berry", and especially "Mortal Man"), but I enjoy the flow and movement of Damn a bit more I think (TPAB gets a bit weighty around the middle for me).

Very happy to follow Kendrick like he's the messiah, he seems like a brilliantly smart and talented man, with a lovely rapping style.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”