Kendrick Lamar- Damn: Discussion Thread

Nick
Running Up That Hill

Kendrick Lamar- Damn: Discussion Thread

Post by Nick »

As per the request of prosecutorgodot, here is your semi-official discussion thread for the new Kendrick Lamar album, Damn.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: Kendrick Lamar- Damn: Discussion Thread

Post by StevieFan13 »

Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but I'm liking it so far. Shows that trap beats sound great when an actually talented rapper is rapping over them.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
jimmyj
Strange Fruit

Post by jimmyj »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... amn-review

Early positive review.
I look forward to listening to this tonight on Spotify.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Lol, thanks Nick! My initial brief reaction of the album is that, this is what Drake would sound like if he was a good mainstream artist.

I've heard it twice now, and I definitely need to revisit it again. But some thoughts so far:
Definitely at least a good project. This is Kendrick's pop rap/trap album. Kendrick sings quite a bit on the project, and it's all quite good. My favorite aspect of the album is the beats; Kendrick continues to pick out (or make himself, even) great ones. My favorite is the incredibly beautiful strings on the intro, followed by the one on "LUST."
My biggest issue so far is actually Kendrick himself. He doesn't seem to rap about much that he hasn't already rapped about. Or the new stuff isnt that interesting.
Maybe I'm missing some stuff, but that's how I feel so far.
Everyone was worried about the U2 feature, but I thought it was good! I actually wish it was as long as the entire song, I'm not sure why Kendrick did it the way he did.
The last thing I want to mention is the concept, or lack thereof. Every other album had a strong concept. It seems like there's a concept, but it hasn't hit me yet or something. I probably just need to dig in deeper.
So far, I prefer untitled unmastered to this.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

This definitely feels like a step back from good kid, m.A.A.d. city and To Pimp a Butterfly; however, both of those albums have perfect scores from me, and the 8.5 I currently have for DAMN. is still quite strong. At the same time, GKMC took a few years to hit me (though now that I click with Kendrick's style, I'm hoping this won't take that long). It lacks the immediateness that seemed to permeate those two records; like godot, I feel like it's missing a grand concept (or at least I missed it in the first listen.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Sadly I won't have any time to listen to this over the weekend. Looking forward to it though.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Apparently people believe we might be getting another album on Sunday!?!?!?

http://www.avclub.com/article/wonderful ... lMarketing

That would be interesting...not going to get my hopes up because that seems ridiculous, but still...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

BleuPanda wrote:Apparently people believe we might be getting another album on Sunday!?!?!?

That would be interesting...not going to get my hopes up because that seems ridiculous, but still...
Like I said, non-traditional Christian music* has been, in my experience, 99.999% awful (and I'm not just saying that as a Jew) - even Bob Dylan couldn't make it work - but if I had faith (ha) in one person to make it work, at this point in time, I'd give Kendrick a chance.
* I do like some gospel music. Lot of good R&B and rap inspired by gospel, too. And artists who include spiritual themes in their work without making everything about religion (i.e. U2, Prince) are also fine. But Christian rock and rap is mostly crap. Only major exception I've heard of is Aretha Franklin's Amazing Grace.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

BleuPanda wrote:Apparently people believe we might be getting another album on Sunday!?!?!?

This would blow my mind to get two solo Kendrick albums in a year when I didn't even expect to get one. It would definitely have to be considered a double album then.

But of course, people were whispering about TKOL part 2 back in 2011, and look where that ended up...
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

prosecutorgodot wrote:

This would blow my mind to get two solo Kendrick albums in a year when I didn't even expect to get one. It would definitely have to be considered a double album then.

But of course, people were whispering about TKOL part 2 back in 2011, and look where that ended up...
On the plus side, look what happened with Frank Ocean's Blonde and Endless last year...
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

StevieFan13 wrote:

Like I said, non-traditional Christian music* has been, in my experience, 99.999% awful (and I'm not just saying that as a Jew) - even Bob Dylan couldn't make it work - but if I had faith (ha) in one person to make it work, at this point in time, I'd give Kendrick a chance.
* I do like some gospel music. Lot of good R&B and rap inspired by gospel, too. And artists who include spiritual themes in their work without making everything about religion (i.e. U2, Prince) are also fine. But Christian rock and rap is mostly crap. Only major exception I've heard of is Aretha Franklin's Amazing Grace.
Well I was just talking about the release dates mostly, that DAMN was released on Good Friday and NATION supposedly is gonna be released on the day Jesus rose from the dead. But I guess it might have some Christian themes cos DAMN didn't have any.
I feel like that
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I like the album and need to listen to it a few more times but right now it's a distant third behind GKMC, which is his best and then TPAB. It is better than Section .80 but not by much. This album is not hitting my like any of his previous albums have including Section .80. I like the production but I wish the Kid Capri stuff wasn't on here. I know it's small and nitpicky but Kendrick doesn't need that on his album.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

PlasticRam wrote: DAMN was released on Good Friday and NATION supposedly is gonna be released on the day Jesus rose from the dead. But I guess it might have some Christian themes cos DAMN didn't have any.
WHOA! I did not think of that! That would make total sense considering Kendrick is so pious.
bootsy wrote: I like the production but I wish the Kid Capri stuff wasn't on here. I know it's small and nitpicky but Kendrick doesn't need that on his album.
Who's Kid Capri? What did he do on this album?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
bootsy wrote: I like the production but I wish the Kid Capri stuff wasn't on here. I know it's small and nitpicky but Kendrick doesn't need that on his album.
Rapper who provided some additional vocals to ("Element", "Love", "XXX", "Duckworth").
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Isn't it dope that there's like four tracks with reversed beats in them?
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

When you take each of the songs' last letter, it makes either EarthLed2Death or Death2theLeader

Edit: Except maybe it doesn't quite Image One of those is right.

EarthLed2Death is I think correct. Death2theLeader has one extra E.

And even then you have to exclude Zacari's feature but include Rihanna and U2, so might be far-fetched.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

98/100 Metacritic at the moment Image
I feel like that
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
PlasticRam wrote: DAMN was released on Good Friday and NATION supposedly is gonna be released on the day Jesus rose from the dead. But I guess it might have some Christian themes cos DAMN didn't have any.
WHOA! I did not think of that! That would make total sense considering Kendrick is so pious.
Kid Capri is a legendary DJ from New York. He's produced for a lot of hip hop artists and DJ'ed on the HBO show Def Comedy Jam.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

PlasticRam wrote:Isn't it dope that there's like four tracks with reversed beats in them?
Which songs were those. I only recognized one (Duckworth)
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

bootsy wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:Isn't it dope that there's like four tracks with reversed beats in them?
Yah, Loyalty, Lust.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Blood has a sample of Eric Bolling and Kimberly Guilfoyle talking I think.

Edit: Yup.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/493740 ... Award-Set/
I feel like that
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

PlasticRam wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Yah, Loyalty, Lust.
Cool thanks. I'll have to listen to those again.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Yeah, I was reminded of "Tomorrow Never Knows" the first time I heard the album. I'm actually starting to piece together a theory/concept of the album because there are these reversed parts.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

An interesting theory regarding the "reversal" theme in the album:

"HELLO! I originally posted this on r/hiphopheads, but the mods deleted it for whatever reason. Hope this is a good read.

Okay. I believe DAMN. can be reversed, having two completely different stories. What leads me to this conclusion is what is said on the tracks BLOOD. and FEAR.

"BLOOD."

Is it wickedness?

Is it weakness?

You decide are we going to live or die?

"FEAR."

Wondering if I'm living through fear or living through rap? Damn.

When you play the album front to back, we see a confident Kendrick exposing his anxieties very subtlety until FEAR. where he lays out an entire lifetime of what scares him. He does admit insecurities on FEEL., but I view this as more an awareness of people treating him differently because of his success; a theme that makes sense leading into LOYALTY. This is the story of him not wanting to show weakness by admitting he is living through fear of losing his career or his life. I also believe this is the story of the real Kendrick, the one addressed on DUCKWORTH. that came out of Anthony not killing his father.

On DUCKWORTH., Kid Kapri says "We gon' put it in reverse!" The track ends with Kendrick saying, "Because if Anthony killed Ducky, Top Dawg could be servin' life while I grew up without a father and die in a gunfight," followed by a gunshot and the entire album sonically reversed until the, "So I was takin' a walk the other day" of BLOOD. This gave me the idea to play DAMN. back -> front. This is the story of the Kendrick that would have resulted in Ducky being killed.

In reverse order, the tracks tell of a different Kendrick, which I believe could be "Kungfu Kenny," who fiends for women, riches and respect. He becomes very materialistic in his ways and angry if he doesn't get what he wants. This is especially evident on the new transitions of LOVE -> LUST. & LOYALTY. -> FEEL.

On LOVE. he tries to be genuine with his girl but when she won't put out he gets impatient on LUST. and just wants to fuck. On LOYALTY., he addresses the obvious of wanting those surrounding him to not screw him over, but on FEEL. sees through that guise and details his lack of confidence in others. There are other examples of these new dualities, but I feel those are the strongest.

The arch of Kungfu Kenny shows him living through rap, having a fallout with his career and who he assumed were friends. On YAH., he reflects on this and admits that he needs to change his approach on life and seek his own forgiveness. He also brings back his cousin Carl's voicemail about the verse from Deuteronomy, realizing he's cursed. This leads into the "final" track DNA. where he brings back the anger and aggressiveness but in a self-aware light. Although knowing he can't escape his wickedness, he tries to show kindness to a blind woman on BLOOD.

This random act gets him shot.

"While I grew up without a father and died in a gunfight"

I also believe the two Kendricks are shown through the album art: http://i.imgur.com/RRFNHTQ.jpg

CONCLUSION:

BLOOD. and DUCKWORTH. are interchangeable Intros/Outros, the tracks in the middle are the two stories. Playing DAMN. normally gives you the story of the Kendrick we know, the Kendrick living through fear and the Kendrick who lives. Flip it, and you get Kungfu Kenny, the fatherless Kendrick who lived through rap and got killed.

"Wondering if I'm living through fear or living through rap. Damn."

Album is called DAMN., this is Kendrick telling us its theme.

"Is it wickedness? Is it weakness? You decide are we going to live or die?"

You decide Kendrick's fate by how you play the album.

EDIT

I made this reply already in the comments, but to those who are just reading this now suggesting he dies both times:

I think this is foreshadowing the album's duality concept, because right after he's shot we hear "is it wickedness" again but not "is it weakness." The album you're about to hear is the weakness side. If he straight up died we wouldn't have 13 more tracks. Playing it backwards, the last track Kendrick actually dies and becomes another generic news story. There's nothing more after that. The gunshot on DUCKWORTH. is Anthony killing Ducky, setting the second story in motion."

https://www.reddit.com/r/KendrickLamar/ ... mn_theory/
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Is this going to be first acclaimed Christian hip-hop album?

That aside, I keep thinking this: Kendrick made this album to show Drake stans that their idol is not as special as they think. Because this sounds like the best Drake album.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Also I've heard that this album made some Eminem fans realise how much Em has fallen off.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I'm not sure about the theory that Kendrick is gonna drop today cos it could've happened already. But I think he has a live performance at Coachella today so maybe he's gonna debut something there.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Kendrick didn't drop anything on the 16th. Theory just sounded very convincing. I take my L.
I feel like that
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Is this going to be first acclaimed Christian hip-hop album?

That aside, I keep thinking this: Kendrick made this album to show Drake stans that their idol is not as special as they think. Because this sounds like the best Drake album.
Well if we go as far as to stretch to call a mainstream hip-hop album "christian hip-hop", I think Chance the Rapper was there first.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nassim wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:Is this going to be first acclaimed Christian hip-hop album?

Well if we go as far as to stretch to call a mainstream hip-hop album "christian hip-hop", I think Chance the Rapper was there first.
I'd go back further, considering DMX and Run are both ordained ministers (the latter's a reverend). Kanye also gets pretty religious - guy called himself a god outright.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I would say Chance is pretty close as far as content. Coloring Book was pretty heavy on gospel rap.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Pitchfork gave the album a 9.2. Fantano gave it a 7/10.

I really like Damn, but I'm glad that Fantano gave the score that he did. It's my belief that the album is mainly getting the overwhelming praise it has solely because it's a Kendrick album. Typically I hate it when people who don't love a critically acclaimed album say that all the praise it's getting is for reasons outside of the music, but that's really what it feels like here.

I'd say Damn is about an 8/10 to me. Really strong, and will probably land in my 11 - 20 spot come EOY time, but no way in hell does this deserve a 99 on Metacritic, especially when compared to instant classics like GKMC and TPAB.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Nick wrote:but no way in hell does this deserve a 99 on Metacritic
WTF :o :o :? :?

I mean personally I'd understand if it was 90 to 95 range, but I can't understand how it can be that high, especially when like half the reviews are around 90/100.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

From what I've heard, it's definitely as good, but not better. I think music critics are just happy that there's a rapper other than Chance who's putting in a shred of effort
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:From what I've heard, it's definitely as good, but not better. I think music critics are just happy that there's a rapper other than Chance who's putting in a shred of effort
There's plenty of other rappers that are putting in a shred of effort besides Chance and Kendrick, come on now.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Nick wrote:Pitchfork gave the album a 9.2. Fantano gave it a 7/10.

I really like Damn, but I'm glad that Fantano gave the score that he did. It's my belief that the album is mainly getting the overwhelming praise it has solely because it's a Kendrick album. Typically I hate it when people who don't love a critically acclaimed album say that all the praise it's getting is for reasons outside of the music, but that's really what it feels like here.

I'd say Damn is about an 8/10 to me. Really strong, and will probably land in my 11 - 20 spot come EOY time, but no way in hell does this deserve a 99 on Metacritic, especially when compared to instant classics like GKMC and TPAB.
Fantano is literally the only professional critic so far who's opinion on DAMN. is worth a damn. As much as I like the album, I feel like it isn't being subjected to the sort of reasonable, measurable critical analysis that Lamar's previous output has encountered, which is really a disservice to the preeminent rapper of the new school. Instead we get a monsoon of well-timed thinkpieces and hot takes competing for who can garner the most critical cachet by praising a Kendrick Lamar record that is a departure from his past work, without ever evaluating the merits of said departure. I can't help but feel that this album is going to suffer a bit of the Be Here Now syndrome, where a highly anticipated album receives massive initial praise on the basis of the preceding two albums, but then unduly suffers in reputation in the following years, as the minor faults that were initially overlooked become fodder for contrarian opinion.
Last edited by notbrianeno on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

F***, you guys spoiled fantano's review! Can we not do that in the future? Please?

Anyways, I was coming on here to say I can't bring myself to love DAMN. It's a 7-7.5/10 for me. Not as good as Kendrick's past commercial projects. I have to admit I feel good about matching Fantano's opinion :3
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm sorry about the spoiler, prosectorgodot.

And I agree completely, notbrianeno. I can't shake the feeling that if this were an album released by a rapper with far less critical cachet that it would be getting 7s and 8s across the board. Instead the album is literally the highest ranking album on Metacritic. Ever.

Kendrick Lamar is such an incredible talent and he already has two albums that will rightfully be seen as classics in years to come. But I fear he's reached a point where he can really "do no wrong" in the eyes of the critical community.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Nick wrote: Kendrick Lamar is such an incredible talent and he already has two albums that will rightfully be seen as classics in years to come. But I fear he's reached a point where he can really "do no wrong" in the eyes of the critical community.
Well, Kanye was kind of in a situation that seemed like that and then he dropped TLOP and it got 75 Metacritic.
I feel like that
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

PlasticRam wrote:
Nick wrote: Kendrick Lamar is such an incredible talent and he already has two albums that will rightfully be seen as classics in years to come. But I fear he's reached a point where he can really "do no wrong" in the eyes of the critical community.
Well, Kanye was kind of in a situation that seemed like that and then he dropped TLOP and it got 75 Metacritic.
Critical reception to Yeezus and 808s were much more polarized than metacritic would have us believe. Though MBDTF garnered a massive amount of critical respect for Kanye, I don't think it compares in context to the almost messianic adoration critics and rap fans (myself included) have built up for Kendrick in the last five years.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

^^ Fair point. I still think that if Kendrick ever decides to drop an album that's kind of a worse version of something he's dropped before, critical reception won't be great. IMO he has been mixing it up every album he's made so far.

Then of course you could argue that not every new sound is a great one, but I happen to agree with some critics that the album sounds dope, but I have to listen more times than two. IMO TPAB doesn't have much replay value (edgy opinion I know) so I hope that DAMN has more.

Edit: I mean for example I don't like jazz much and TPAB has some jazz influences, so the album 'not having replay value' is a completely subjective thing.
I feel like that
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

PlasticRam wrote: Well, Kanye was kind of in a situation that seemed like that and then he dropped TLOP and it got 75 Metacritic.
I know you sit on the other side of the fence, but a lot of people say Yeezus is a pretty undercooked album, so that album would be the equivalent of DAMN. in this situation. The acclaim for Yeezus brought it inside the top 400, which might happen to DAMN. as well.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
PlasticRam wrote: Well, Kanye was kind of in a situation that seemed like that and then he dropped TLOP and it got 75 Metacritic.
I know you sit on the other side of the fence, but a lot of people say Yeezus is a pretty undercooked album, so that album would be the equivalent of DAMN. in this situation. The acclaim for Yeezus brought it inside the top 400, which might happen to DAMN. as well.
Yeah I mean I do think those albums are kinda similar and I think both are great albums, potentially classics. So are you saying those albums are getting more acclaim than they deserve?
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Personally I think Yeezus is currently sligtly underrated by the critics and Damn is a decent amount overrated.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I wouldn't say Yeezus is undercooked, but I would say it's raw, and I like that.

Anything that is extreme I generally appreciate in music, and whenever and it's also a sound that I like, those could be the kind of albums that are all-time favs of mine. But I mean I wouldn't say Damn does anything that extreme, except maybe the backmasking that is relatively new in hip-hop. I just think it's a dope album and I can't really express myself better; I wish I could.
I feel like that
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

PlasticRam wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
Yeah I mean I do think those albums are kinda similar and I think both are great albums, potentially classics. So are you saying those albums are getting more acclaim than they deserve?
Yes.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Metacritic score is at 97 now with 16 reviews. Figured it couldn't stay at 99 forever. By the end of the week we should have a better idea of where it'll top out on MC (probably still too high - like many of you, I think it's a brilliant album but in no way the equal of GKMC or TPaB).
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Undercooked. I like it. I'm stealing er borrowing it.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

bootsy wrote:Undercooked. I like it. I'm stealing er borrowing it.
No worries, I took it from Fantano :/ *shrug*
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:From what I've heard, it's definitely as good, but not better. I think music critics are just happy that there's a rapper other than Chance who's putting in a shred of effort
There's plenty of other rappers that are putting in a shred of effort besides Chance and Kendrick, come on now.
But none as popular. In terms of rappers with major buzz, I can only think of a few other widely-acclaimed current rappers (Future notwithstanding). I know there are plenty of great rappers out there, but none of them are as influential at this current moment.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”