Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.5

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.5

Post by Brad »

Welcome to Round 1.5 of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Good-spirited comments are encouraged, but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 11th at 10am EST.

Here's a link to the bracket for the entire tournament:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?t ... Albums%208

Match-ups:
1. Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill vs. Ride - Nowhere
2. Gal Costa - Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor vs. Frank Sinatra - September of My Years
3. Donnacha Costello - Colorseries vs. The Afghan Whigs - Do to the Beast
4. White Noise - An Electric Storm vs. J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive

Look at That Caveman Go!
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 8 - Round 1.5

Post by Bang Jan »

Colorseries

4 | Steely Dan | Can't Buy a Thrill
2 | Ride | Nowhere

3 | Gal Costa | Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor
5 | Frank Sinatra | September of My Years

7 | Donnacha Costello | Colorseries
8 | The Afghan Whigs | Do to the Beast

1 | White Noise | An Electric Storm (My nomination)
6 | J. Cole | 2014 Forest Hills Drive

Favourite song of the week: White Noise | The Visitation
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Ride is a discovery that's now on my all-time list. Also J. Cole and Steely Dan are on the list. I liked White Noise as well.
I feel like that
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Nowhere 87 - Can't Buy A Thrill 71
Fa-Ta-Gal A Todo Vapor 85 - September Of My Years 76
An Electric Storm 72 - 2014 Forest Hills Drive 67

Need to find Colorseries.

Question for next week. Spotify does not seem to have 90 but it has an album Utd State 90 with overlapping songs. Any problem piecing the album together from that version?
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

2. Gal Costa - Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor vs. Frank Sinatra - September of My Years
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Jirin wrote:Need to find Colorseries.

Question for next week. Spotify does not seem to have 90 but it has an album Utd State 90 with overlapping songs. Any problem piecing the album together from that version?
Bang Jan wrote:Colorseries
Spotify has the album under the title Ninety.

"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

The entire Colourseries album is also available to listen to on the artist's Bandcamp page:

https://donnachacostello.bandcamp.com/a ... olorseries
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill (1972) vs. Ride - Nowhere (1990)

2. Gal Costa - -Fa-Tal- Gal a Todo Vapor (1971) vs. Frank Sinatra - September of My Years (1965)

3. Donnacha Costello - Colorseries (2007) vs. The Afghan Whigs - Do to the Beast (2014)

4. White Noise - An Electric Storm (1969) vs. J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive (2014)

Favourite song from every album:
Do It Again | Vapour Trail | Pérola Negra | It Was a Very Good Year | Grape B (CD Edit) | Matamoros | The Visitation | Wet Dreamz

Favourite song of the week: It Was a Very Good Year
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Here I go again, for the second week in a row, but again I have to question the eligibility of an album here: according to both Rate Your Music and AllMusic Colorseries is a compilation. Indeed, it is a compilation of all the previous Color Series EP's by Donnacha Costello. Since it isn't eligible for the AM list I doubt it should be eligible here.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Rob wrote:Here I go again, for the second week in a row, but again I have to question the eligibility of an album here: according to both Rate Your Music and AllMusic Colorseries is a compilation. Indeed, it is a compilation of all the previous Color Series EP's by Donnacha Costello. Since it isn't eligible for the AM list I doubt it should be eligible here.
Robyn - Body Talk, The Beta Band - The Three EPs and Fugazi - 13 Songs are all EPs compilations featured in AM.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I always thought of the first two Body Talk EPs as precursors to the full album rather than the full album being a compilation of the EPs.

That doesn't seem to be the case for Colorseries but I think it's a bit too late to make changes. I'm happy to discover Donnacha Costello.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

1. Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
2. Frank Sinatra - September of My Years
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm confused; isn't an album only ineligible if it's in the top 500 or if it's been in a previous MA? I guess you could argue some classical works would be in the top 500 if classical music was discussed in the same way, but would Nixon in China be anywhere near that high? As long as it wouldn't be in the top 500, it should be perfectly fine. Especially since modern classical sometimes is actually discussed alongside contemporary work...

As for EP collections, I think as long as none of the EPs are acclaimed on their own, it fits. Quite a few major albums also take tracks off earlier EPs (like how Devo's Q: Are We Not Men contains 2/3rds of the B Stiff EP); something like that would likely invalidate B Stiff from participating, but I don't think that's happening here with Colorseries. I find a lot of EP compilations are usually being combined because they share a similar artistic statement (compared to a Greatest Hits collection where songs are cherry-picked after the fact), which I think is the key element of being an 'album.' I think if an EP compilation is essentially reassigning EPs into a unified work, that compilation takes precedence as the artist's full statement (which is why we discuss The Three EPs instead of the actual three EPs it consists of, etc.).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I hope I have time for the others, but all my free time this week is going to be Persona 5...

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill (8/10)
Ride - Nowhere (7.75/10)
Frank Sinatra - September of My Years (7.5/10)
Gal Costa - Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor (7.25/10)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

BleuPanda wrote:I'm confused; isn't an album only ineligible if it's in the top 500 or if it's been in a previous MA? I guess you could argue some classical works would be in the top 500 if classical music was discussed in the same way, but would Nixon in China be anywhere near that high? As long as it wouldn't be in the top 500, it should be perfectly fine. Especially since modern classical sometimes is actually discussed alongside contemporary work...
It's hard to say where Nixon in China would rank in a list of classical work. Nonetheless, hardly any (if any) of the source lists used for Acclaimed Music take opera into account. Classical music and all the other music are usually held apart. Whether that is right or not is another matter.
As for EP collections, I think as long as none of the EPs are acclaimed on their own, it fits. Quite a few major albums also take tracks off earlier EPs (like how Devo's Q: Are We Not Men contains 2/3rds of the B Stiff EP); something like that would likely invalidate B Stiff from participating, but I don't think that's happening here with Colorseries. I find a lot of EP compilations are usually being combined because they share a similar artistic statement (compared to a Greatest Hits collection where songs are cherry-picked after the fact), which I think is the key element of being an 'album.' I think if an EP compilation is essentially reassigning EPs into a unified work, that compilation takes precedence as the artist's full statement (which is why we discuss The Three EPs instead of the actual three EPs it consists of, etc.).
I guess something is to be said for that. I was mostly confused because I was under the impression that any sort of compilation was inelegible for AM and therefore here. It is a bit of an iffy rule, though, that EP's are eligible in both solo as in compilation form. Technically, any part of the Colorseries could be resubmitted next year, even in the unlikely event that the whole Colorseries wins the game. Just like any Fugazi EP could appear in a list separate of the others.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
Frank Sinatra - September of My Years
The Afghan Whigs - Do to the Beast
White Noise - An Electric Storm
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill over Ride - Nowhere

I won't have time this week to listen and vote in the other matchups
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

I hope people aren't too mad about my Colorseries nomination. I don't think of the individual parts as EPs; they're really 12" singles (which I don't think are eligible in an albums contest) that have been packaged together as a digital album (which is what the Bandcamp website calls it). I was upfront with Brad about the nature of this release when I sent in my nominations, so I assume he decided that my rationale passed muster - I think it's a "moderately acclaimed album" within the spirit of the rules, even if not strictly according to some definitions. For what it's worth, most fans I've talked to consider Colorseries to be a unified work, and nobody really talks about the 12" releases on their own - similar to Bleupanda's example of The Three EPs.

(When Brad originally posted about a "controversial" nomination, I thought it was this one! It's not what Brad was thinking of, but my instincts proved correct)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Guys - I'm a bit lax on some of these rules I admit. They are loosely defined and I'll generally leave it up to the nominator to decide if an album/EP/collection/whatever is, to use Kingoftonga's phrase, in "the spirit of the rules." Formats/genres are often sketchy or loosely defined and I see no need to police these selections with rigid authority. I want us to be able to be exposed to obscure works like Colorseries and, if possible, not be overly-focused on whether the format should make it eligible or not. There have been some far more obvious attempts to push compilations through which may have been rejected (because we're not really interested in rating, say, "Eagles Greatest Hits" lol), but if we have to push the boundaries a bit for some of the not-so-obvious entries, I generally turn again to whether the selection is in the "spirit" of the game and come to a decision based on that.

All of this is open to discussion of course - this is just my perspective.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

Thanks!
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill vs. Ride - Nowhere
White Noise - An Electric Storm vs. J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

1. Ride - Nowhere
2. Gal Costa - Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor
4. White Noise - An Electric Storm
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I will now vote for Do To The Beast, 86-76.

I enjoyed Colorseries but I feel the bar is a little higher for very repetitive electronic music that you can't dance to.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Kingoftonga wrote:I hope people aren't too mad about my Colorseries nomination.
For the record, I'm not mad at all, just thought the issued should be discussed sooner than later (you don't want this kind of controversy suddenly crop up in the later rounds). I in fact agree with Brad's assessment. Especially because I do feel Colorseries fits "the spirit" of this game well. I enjoyed the album too, I should say, though I'm still undecided if it will get my vote.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

1. Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill (3.5)vs. Ride - Nowhere (5.0)

Really glad that someone nominated Nowhere. This album is a cornerstone of the alternative / indie rock music of the 90s. Ride came out of nowhere (!) to deliver a pure diamond of a record. They know how to rock (in a shoegazy way - see Decay) but can really turn on the emotional tracks (Paralysed / Vapour Trail). The recipe they released on Nowhere was going to launch a whole new movement, pure and simple.
Steely Dan's debut is good, but fairly generic. The tunes are enjoyable but they did'nt really take much risk in their blend of radio-friendly 70s pop rock.

2. Gal Costa - Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor (1.0) vs. Frank Sinatra - September of My Years (2.0)

Really not my cupotea. Gal Costa's live album matches my distaste for her studio albums. In the Brazilian tribe, Jorge Ben easily surpasses her. Frank Sinatra's crooning is OK, but ultimately boring.

3. Donnacha Costello - Colorseries (3.5)vs. The Afghan Whigs - Do to the Beast (4.0)

Toughest match of the week. Polar opposites, with the good minimal techno of Donnacha Costello (the first 5-6 tracks are top notch, but it is let down by the more ambient tracks at the end) versus the oh-so consistent soul rock of Greg Dulli and co. I am a fan of their 90s masterpieces (Gentlemen is my all-time favorite) and this is an excellent comeback.

4. White Noise - An Electric Storm (2.0) vs. J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive (2.0)

Ouch. I really can't decide between barely listenable sixties experimental tracks (where is the melody ?) and run-of-the mill R&B hip-hop. I guess I went with the more risky act.
Last edited by spiritualized on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

4. Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill vs. 1. Ride - Nowhere
The easiest choice of the week. And I actually like Can't Buy a Thrill; it has some great songs. It is also bettered by pretty much every Steely Dan album until Gaucho, though and not everything sticks.
Nowhere is simply more powerful to me. I've never been able to get into shoegaze, but here the music more powerful than usual in this genre. Simply a work of beauty. Odd to see it ranks "only" at #799 at AM. If you'd asked me before I would have swore it would be in the top 500 for sure. On a side note, it has one of my favorite album covers ever.

3. Gal Costa - Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor vs. 2. Frank Sinatra - September of My Years
Both have a lot going for them. The Gal Costa album needs some time to get going for me, with some surprisingly bland songs at the start. But around the 20 minute mark things start to lift off and the greatness lasts the remained of the album.
September of My Years is quality time throughout though. It might not be Sinatra reinventing himself in the autumn of his life, but perhaps secretly it is his most affecting work. Few artists have really committed themselves to singing about life around 50, but Sinatra does so without shame. With age comes sadness, but also a certain new pride. Sinatra has ripened like good wine and so has the album.

5. Donnacha Costello - Colorseries vs. 6. The Afghan Whigs - Do to the Beast
Colorseries, perhaps because of its assembled nature, is too long by far. Half of its songs are great, the other half are just good or simply standard electronic compositions. Still, there are tracks there that really deserve a listen, something I feel lacked a bit with Do to the Beast. It is a good rock album, but not a very special one. Maybe it needs to grow a bit, I haven't quite gotten it's concept background. Still, Colorseries feels like the more special effort. That one might actually end up being the least listened to album in this game, by the looks of it.

7. White Noise - An Electric Storm vs. 8. J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive
I do not particularly feel passionate about anything on either of these albums. An Electric Storm at least sounds very original, even if only half of it works for me (the other half tends to get annoying, though). Still, that's more than 2014 Forest Hills Drive does, because that one sounds like just another 2010's hiphop album to me, with less personality than many of its competitors. I do like the long closing track, though. It has a spirit that somehow lacks in the rest. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album. It just doesn't stand out. An Electric Storm does, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

I went into this round having already listened to both albums before. I thought I would vote for Ride for sure. But after a relisten of both, I can't deny that Can't Buy a Thrill dispatches catchy hook after catchy hook and makes it sound effortless - even if I still don't know what any of the lyrics mean.

Not a very exciting bracket for me. Gal Costa brought more excitement to that album.

When I listen to Do to the Beast I just wonder why I'm not listening to Gentlemen; it all sort of blends together for me except for the high point of "Algiers." The Colorseries is a bit long and same-y, but I continue to find things to appreciate about it, and I think it sustains its quality over the long run time.

White Noise was a great discovery, even though it was awkward to listen to that orgy track at work (I was wearing headphones, thankfully). J. Cole is okay but doesn't strike me as anything special.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I've said it before, but Ride is another group that falls into that '90's Indie-Rock scene that I could just never get into. "Do It Again," my favorite SD song, would've been enough to win this matchup for me by itself.

Another of my weaknesses has always been live albums, but I do really like Gal Costa here. However, I can't vote against Sinatra's concept album about aging and mortality. (Especially since I so strongly relate right now - I'm nearly the age Frank was when he recorded it.)

I enjoyed much of "Colorseries," but "Do to the Beast" is one of my top albums of this decade. "Algiers," "The Lottery," and "Royal Cream" are the standouts for me.

White Noise is the discovery of the tournament for me so far. The only song of theirs I'd heard before was "Your Hidden Dreams," which I really liked, so I'm surprised I hadn't sought out more from them. They remind me of two of my favorites: The United States of America (which came before) and The Dreamies (which would come later). J. Cole's album is also strong (though I could've done without that meandering final track), but White Noise is truly special.

Favorite album I couldn't vote for: Gal Costa
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Less than an hour left to vote!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

17 voters this week:
andyd1010
antonius
Bang Jan
BleuPanda
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
EmilienDelRey
hectorthebat
Honorio
jamieW
Jirin
Kingoftonga
PlasticRam
Rob
sonofsamiam
spiritualized

Winners:
1. Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill over Ride - Nowhere 9-8
2. Gal Costa - Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor vs. Frank Sinatra - September of My Years ***TIE! 7-7 Next Vote (from someone who hasn't already voted for this matchup) Wins!***
3. The Afghan Whigs - Do to the Beast over Donnacha Costello - Colorseries 7-4
4. White Noise - An Electric Storm over J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive 13-1

Our first tie of the tournament!
Gal Costa - Fa-Tal-Gal a Todo Vapor vs. Frank Sinatra - September of My Years ***TIE! 7-7 Next Vote (from someone who hasn't already voted for this matchup) Wins!***

Round 1.6 up soon!
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I vote Gal Costa.
I feel like that

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”