Deciding the Hip Hop tournament

Which Hip Hop genre should we have a tournament for?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 am

Abstract Hip Hop
No votes
Boom Bap
No votes
Conscious Hip Hop
7%
Experimental Hip Hop
14%
Hardcore Hip Hop
No votes
Jazz Rap
14%
Political Hip Hop
No votes
Pop Rap
No votes
UK Hip Hop
No votes
The whole Hip Hop genre
64%

Total votes: 14

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Deciding the Hip Hop tournament

Post by ordinaryperson »

Since Hip Hop won the main genre poll we can now decide on which sub genre to have a tournament for.
Last edited by ordinaryperson on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is No More Firmament.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: Deciding the Hip Hop tournament

Post by PlasticRam »

It's gonna be difficult classifying what's pop rap and what's not or what's experimental hip hop and what's not. We're using RYM?
I feel like that
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

PlasticRam wrote: We're using RYM?
Yes.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Honestly for hip hop I would much rather not do a sub-genre. I have no idea what most of these sub-genres even are and would care exponentially more about the results of a broad hip-hop poll.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

andyd1010 wrote:Honestly for hip hop I would much rather not do a sub-genre. I have no idea what most of these sub-genres even are and would care exponentially more about the results of a broad hip-hop poll.
Thank you! I want to do all of rap. I need to explore more hip-hop and this is an excellent way. Plus remember when there were serious talks about a hip-hop poll after the last songs poll?
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

andyd1010 wrote:Honestly for hip hop I would much rather not do a sub-genre. I have no idea what most of these sub-genres even are and would care exponentially more about the results of a broad hip-hop poll.
Agreed, given the tendency of our forum to lean towards rock and pop, the poll should be as broad a rap spectrum as possible. Voters should feel free to submit with more descriptive genre tags though!
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
Thank you! I want to do all of rap. I need to explore more hip-hop and this is an excellent way. Plus remember when there were serious talks about a hip-hop poll after the last songs poll?
Yeah pretty much this.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

My only issue with going with the whole hip-hop genre is that the 16 albums that get in automatically are all known by pretty much everyone and might steamroll the competition.
I guess either going with no automatic entries or more entries could help solved that partially.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nassim wrote:My only issue with going with the whole hip-hop genre is that the 16 albums that get in automatically are all known by pretty much everyone and might steamroll the competition.
I guess either going with no automatic entries or more entries could help solved that partially.
Well, people should just go with their gut. As with any of our competitions, you should go into it after having done some research. I have a lot more options than just Nation of Millions or The College Dropout because I listen to a lot of hip-hop.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Since it seems like everyone wants to do the whole genre of Hip Hop as a tournament I will post the nominations thread today. I'll keep the rules similar to BleuPanda's rules for the 2000 and 1992 tournament. There will probably be a lot of people participating in the nominations I've tweaked the rules a little bit so that everyone's #1 choice gets in. The top 10 albums and top 20 songs have been selected from the unofficial update.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”