Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me

Post by BleuPanda »

I've never heard of this artist before, but his new album currently has a 96 on Metacritic after 15 reviews; figured that was enough to justify a topic.

The subject of the album is coping with the death of his wife; the first track was phenomenal.
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me

Post by Harold »

Phil Elverum, who essentially is Mount Eerie, was also the auteur behind an indie group called The Microphones; 2001's The Glow, Pt. 2 is in the Acclaimed Music top 1000, and the Microphones' 2003 follow-up - also in the top 3000 - gave Elverum's current project its name. His music is ethereal, highly insular, and an acquired taste. This new album is getting a lot of attention, obviously - even as, undoubtedly, Elverum wishes he'd never had to record it. I'm looking forward to hearing it, as painful as it might be.
Sunwoo1213
Are You Experienced?

Post by Sunwoo1213 »

Personally I don't think this album is that good. For Me, 50 Song Memoir is the best album of 2017.. and Mount eerie's album didn't impressed me.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Fantastic album, easily my AOTY thus far. I posted a glowing review of it back in the "albums of 2017" thread a week ago. The writing on this album is superb.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Been curious about this album and have seen the MC score. What makes this album really good? Writing solely or more than that?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Really beautiful and heartbreaking.

"Ravens" is in RYM's top 100 singles of all time!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

bootsy wrote:Been curious about this album and have seen the MC score. What makes this album really good? Writing solely or more than that?
It's truly unlike any album I can think of. It's a song cycle written and recorded in the weeks immediately following the death last August (from pancreatic cancer) of Phil Elverum's 35-year old cartoonist wife Genevieve Castree, and it's 41 minutes of raw, unfiltered grief. It's incredibly intense in Elverum's trademark low-key way, and very uncomfortable to listen to at times, but it's also beautiful and intimate and, as everyone else has said, heartbreaking. It's the kind of album that makes every other album sound frivolous by comparison. Think Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree, but completely stripped of metaphor of any kind. It may not be something you'll want to listen to all the time, but it needs to be heard.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Harold wrote:
bootsy wrote:Been curious about this album and have seen the MC score. What makes this album really good? Writing solely or more than that?
It's truly unlike any album I can think of. It's a song cycle written and recorded in the weeks immediately following the death last August (from pancreatic cancer) of Phil Elverum's 35-year old cartoonist wife Genevieve Castree, and it's 41 minutes of raw, unfiltered grief. It's incredibly intense in Elverum's trademark low-key way, and very uncomfortable to listen to at times, but it's also beautiful and intimate and, as everyone else has said, heartbreaking. It's the kind of album that makes every other album sound frivolous by comparison. Think Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree, but completely stripped of metaphor of any kind. It may not be something you'll want to listen to all the time, but it needs to be heard.
Interesting, I really like Cave's Skeleton Tree so I won't be surprised if I like this alot as well. Thanks for the insight.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”