AMF 2017 All-Time Album Poll Preparation

prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

AMF 2017 All-Time Album Poll Preparation

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I know we have zillions of tournaments and polls happening right now. Are we having one of those forum-wide annual polls this year? Is anyone even interested in doing it?
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: AMF Poll 2017?

Post by BleuPanda »

It should be the album poll, I believe; I'm not sure when we wanted to do that/who wants to do all the number grinding.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

This is the year of the album poll (my personal favorite of all the forum wide polls). There is also the forum-wide poll for favorite books! :D
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

BleuPanda wrote:It should be the album poll, I believe; I'm not sure when we wanted to do that/who wants to do all the number grinding.
I would be up for hosting/number crunching! I really really enjoyed hosting the 2016 EOY polls.
Last edited by notbrianeno on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Wow, I thought about it yesterday! And I even read the topic of the last album poll.

Since last year I've been listening to hundreds of albums for this poll.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

So how long of a voting period would we want from the opening of the list and suggestion threads to the closing of voting?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

I suggest 3 months, 5 at the most. It'll leave enough time for people to scramble to listen to any last-minute albums. Of course, they won't be able to listen to everything, but the point isn't to listen to everything, it's to list your favorites.

On a side note, I can't even begin to tell you how much I am ready to participate this year. I discovered the forum back during the last poll when DocBrown hosted it; I even remember Starsailor, Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J., and Rhythm Nation 1814 originally in the top 500 before Doc realized there was a few errors. Back then, it was a chore just to list my 50 favorite albums. Now I'm thinking I need to expand to 300!
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Thanks for volunteering, notBrianEno! :mrgreen:

I'm thinking voting until June 30th.
Also... maybe between 50 and 250 albums.
And we gotta get the word out for a good turnout like the amazing one last year!
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Was there anyone else who was interested in hosting? I'd hate to cut in front of someone awaiting this poll as eagerly as i have

Also, what was the formula used to calculate points last time?
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Last year the artist's poll ran from April 1 to June 30. That seems a good time frame to me. Three years ago it was maximum 500 albums. That sounds like a lot, but it's just below ten albums a year from the sixties until now.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

bonnielaurel wrote:Last year the artist's poll ran from April 1 to June 30. That seems a good time frame to me. Three years ago it was maximum 500 albums. That sounds like a lot, but it's just below ten albums a year from the sixties until now.
I think that should the limit for number of albums to submit in this poll.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

It would be good to have the input of some other forumers re: the number of albums, last time we did this poll a great deal of long-time forumers expressed concern that overly large list maximums (500) diluted the eventual results. Several ballots had hundreds of unique albums. It can also be argued that it's hard to say that you truly "Love" albums down at the 495 placement as much as the top 100 of your ballot. I'd be open to discussion on this.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

The thing is : what is the AMF Poll ?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Re: AMF 2017 All-Time Album Poll Preparation

spiritualized wrote:The thing is : what is the AMF Poll ?
I edited the title of this thread, so maybe it makes more sense now.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I'm very excited by this! I have a list of over 550 albums I wanna enter. Of course as I understand it, only the top 500 will be counted.
I feel like that
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

notbrianeno wrote:Was there anyone else who was interested in hosting? I'd hate to cut in front of someone awaiting this poll as eagerly as i have

Also, what was the formula used to calculate points last time?
Well, you can certainly volunteer me out. I currently don't own a computer (which is one reason I'm not as active in the forums as in the past).

I will look up the needlessly awful formula from the last album poll and PM you. Also feel free to PM me with any other questions.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I just redid my top 1000 albums; never as fun as my song list, since it's rare for an album to shift without relistening, and even then, they usually remain around the same place. I had 5 songs enter my top 100 for the first time, including "Atlantic City" climbing all the way from outside my top 1000.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

If everyone is ok with it, I'll open up a list thread once DocBrown sends me the formula. You can feel free to post your preliminary lists there as a way of recommending things to others (and showing off your flawless taste), and edit them up until the poll closes; just make sure to notify me via PM or quote for any changes you make.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

notbrianeno wrote:It would be good to have the input of some other forumers re: the number of albums, last time we did this poll a great deal of long-time forumers expressed concern that overly large list maximums (500) diluted the eventual results. Several ballots had hundreds of unique albums. It can also be argued that it's hard to say that you truly "Love" albums down at the 495 placement as much as the top 100 of your ballot. I'd be open to discussion on this.
I'm ambivalent...

--I submitted 500 last time, and didn't have regrets. It looks like the 2011 poll took top 500 submissions as well. I assume the idea was that some outliers would finally pop up on the radar and get more people's attention. My top 100 has more "love" from me (and others), but our top 100s maybe have a lot of the same names over and over.

--I'm planning on submitting something much shorter this time. Plus, I'm not the one doing all the counting.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
notbrianeno wrote:It would be good to have the input of some other forumers re: the number of albums, last time we did this poll a great deal of long-time forumers expressed concern that overly large list maximums (500) diluted the eventual results. Several ballots had hundreds of unique albums. It can also be argued that it's hard to say that you truly "Love" albums down at the 495 placement as much as the top 100 of your ballot. I'd be open to discussion on this.
I'm ambivalent...

--I submitted 500 last time, and didn't have regrets. It looks like the 2011 poll took top 500 submissions as well. I assume the idea was that some outliers would finally pop up on the radar and get more people's attention. My top 100 has more "love" from me (and others), but our top 100s maybe have a lot of the same names over and over.

--I'm planning on submitting something much shorter this time. Plus, I'm not the one doing all the counting.
After looking at the formula, 500 album maximum is fine with me!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

500 albums sounds good!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Question: The final results is going to be Top 1000 or Top 500?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”