Some AM questions for a newbie...

Tortuga
The Only Way Is Up

Some AM questions for a newbie...

Post by Tortuga »

1. I was told once on this forum that there were 1445 artists on AM with at least one ranked album; how would someone go about finding this out?

2. Is there a way to see the top artists ranked by album beyond 1000?

3. Can you think of any artists on the best-by-album list that are named together but should be separate, or vice versa? For example, Fugees are separate from Lauryn Hill (as they should be), but Mothers of Invention and Frank Zappa aren't? How Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company? Parliament and Funkadelic?

4. What separately-listed artists do you know of that share the same highest-ranked album? For example, Jazz at Massey Hall is the highest-ranked album of Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Max Roach (but strangely, it doesn't even show up on Bud Powell's AM discography...)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: Some AM questions for a newbie...

Post by Nassim »

1. By downloading the album list on excel you can easily do that. Simplest way is to copy the artists of the top 3000 album and paste them using the option that removes double entries (I use excel in French so I'm not completely sure how it is called in English, but a quick Google search would answer that).
It might not be the exact number as you might miss some collaborators for some albums (for instance Watch the Throne would only count for Jay-Z and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts only for Brian Eno; those are no issues as the other artist is also ranked, but there might be a few missing that are not) but the difference must be narrow.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”