Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up (2017)

prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up (2017)

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Hey y'all, the third Fleet Foxes album, called Crack-Up, comes out June 16th, 2017. Fleet Foxes is an Americana / indie folk / baroque pop band hailing from Washington, U.S., led by Robin Pecknold. The band went on hiatus after touring for Helplessness Blues back in 2012 because Robin went to attend college at Columbia University, but now they're back together!
Listen to the first single: Third of May / Ōdaigahara
The second single: Fool's Errand

Tracklisting:
1 | I Am All That I Need / Arroyo Seco / Thumbprint Scar
2 | Cassius, --
3 | Naiads, Cassadies
4 | Kept Woman
5 | Third of May / Ōdaigahara
6 | If You Need To, Keep Time on Me
7 | Mearcstapa
8 | On Another Ocean (January / June)
9 | Fool's Errand
10 | I Should See Memphis
11 | Crack-Up

Post here your thoughts and expectations for the upcoming album, or any Fleet Foxes related thoughts, really.
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Sat May 13, 2017 8:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Re: Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up (2017)

I am a huge fan of Helplessness Blues. It's pretty much my favorite folk album. That made Crack-Up my most anticipated album of 2017. On the other hand, I couldn't really care less for the self-titled debut.

My first reaction was shock at seeing the lead single at #6 on Youtube Trending! I didn't know they were that popular. I'm thinking it's probably due to the very positive review that Anthony Fantano did on Helplessness Blues.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I like the first song a lot, even though it's really long.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

I really like the cover.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Cracking up with excitement! Helplessness Blues is in my top 50 albums of all time, and I'm loving the new song.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Amazing cover art and I'm REALLY liking that new single.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Overall, I like this first single, but it's not as well-sculpted and polished as the songs on Helplessness Blues were. Excuse my constant referrals back to that album, I am just deeply enamored with it. I have just really high expectations for this album. I think the song will probably sound better in the context of the album, and Fleet Foxes have probably evolved artistically from 6 years ago.
Another reason why I am not totally in love with the new single is maybe because it sounds more like first-album FF than second-album FF. I'm not really into the messy, slightly more lo-fi approach on the debut.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Overall, I like this first single, but it's not as well-sculpted and polished as the songs on Helplessness Blues were. Excuse my constant referrals back to that album, I am just deeply enamored with it. I have just really high expectations for this album. I think the song will probably sound better in the context of the album, and Fleet Foxes have probably evolved artistically from 6 years ago.
Another reason why I am not totally in love with the new single is maybe because it sounds more like first-album FF than second-album FF. I'm not really into the messy, slightly more lo-fi approach on the debut.
Funny, that's exactly why I like it. Earlier Fleet Foxes songs like White Winter Hymnal and Tiger Mountain Peasant Song are my absolute favorites.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

"Fool's Errand" is more heavenly, but feels less complete as a song. Still like it tho. But now I sort of want to save myself for the whole album experience.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

prosecutorgodot wrote:"Fool's Errand" is more heavenly, but feels less complete as a song. Still like it tho. But now I sort of want to save myself for the whole album experience.
The full album is currently available in a leak for those interested...
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything big, so I took my time with this album.
I'm pretty disappointed by this album. What were Robin and co. thinking when they released this? This is not gripping. Nothing here is as heavenly as stuff on the debut or sophomore records. Since I know there are a lot of fans of the self-titled here in the forum, this is certainly not that because the songwriting is not tight, direct, catchy, poppy, etc. The music is very indulgent, and I feel like the band in their younger days would have cut and trimmed the flab so that the songs punch straight to the heart. I think I am particularly peeved by indulgent music.
I liked it, but barely. Decent 6. (6.5/10)
The best part of this album is the visuals/artwork. These are pretty cool.
P.S. The main thing missing which I loved in their past work was urgency. Why should I be listening to Crack-Up over anything else?

I feel like this year in general has been full of disappointments for me.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I guess I'm in the minority. I quite liked this album on first listen. I wasn't bored which is always good and the album seemed to flow very well.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”