Faster Louder - The Most Overrated Albums of All Time

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Faster Louder - The Most Overrated Albums of All Time

Post by StevieFan13 »

http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/the-most ... ime/829875
Interested in what you guys think of this list. Me personally, I hate it, and it obviously doesn't qualify for AM. But some of the biggest sacred cows are here....whether deservedly or not is up to you. (Matter of fact, AM's #1 album of all time isn't safe from this list).
**Fun fact**: I hadn't even heard of the Avalanches when I first saw this list, so I had no idea how this band I never heard of had the most overrated album ever. Of course, now I know them, and I know that the guy who made the list is Australian so of course he's sick of hearing about the Avalanches, and he is wrong. Personal opinions in brackets.
50) Cut Copy - In Ghost Colors [NEVER HEARD OF IT]
49) TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain [NOPE]
48) Neil Young - Harvest [KINDA]
47) Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not [IN THE UK, AT LEAST. OTHERWISE, NOPE]
46) Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner [KINDA]
45) The Doors - LA Woman [KINDA]
44) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication [KINDA]
43) The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses [NOPE]
42) Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call [NOPE]
41) Happy Mondays - Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches [YEP]
40) The Vines - Highly Evolved [DON'T KNOW]
39) Pink Floyd - The Wall [NOPE]
38) Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot [NOPE]
37) Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP [NOPE]
36) Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend [NOPE]
35) The Smiths - The Queen is Dead [NOPE NOPE NOPE]
34) Muse - Black Holes and Revelations [KINDA]
33) Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago [KINDA]
32) The Verve - Urban Hymns [SEE "WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM..."]
31) Arcade Fire - Neon Bible [KINDA]
30) Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation [KINDA]
29) Green Day - American Idiot [NOPE]
28) Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion [KINDA]
27) Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights [NEED TO RE-LISTEN]
26) Joy Division - Closer [KINDA]
25) The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots [YEP]
24) Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More [NOPE]
23) The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico [NOPE]
22) Jeff Buckley - Grace [NOPE]
21) Powderfinger - Odyssey Number Five [?]
20) Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy [NOPE]
19) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless [NOPE]
18) The Beatles - The Beatles (The White Album) [NOPE]
17) Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album) [NOPE]
16) Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? [NOPE]
15) U2 - The Joshua Tree [NOPE]
14) Hole - Live Through This [KINDA]
13) Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness [KINDA]
12) Diorama - Silverchair [????]
11) Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols [KINDA]
10) Pearl Jam - Ten [YES AND NO]
9) Radiohead - Kid A [LEANING TOWARD YEP]
8) AC/DC - Back in Black [NOPE, AT LEAST TO ME]
7) The Clash - London Calling [NOPE]
6) The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street [NOPE]
5) The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds [NOPE]
4) Michael Jackson - Thriller ["BAD" IS BETTER, BUT OTHERWISE NOPE]
3) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run [NOPE, AND HOW DARE YOU]
2) Nirvana - Nevermind [NOPE, THOUGH KURT WOULD PROBABLY AGREE]
1) The Avalanches - Since I Left You [NOPE]

Woof. Alienating the Pitchfork, NME, and Rolling Stone crowds all in one blow! It's like an RS list from Bizarro World. For what it's worth, I agree about some of these (Kid A, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pills 'n' Thrills, and, to a lesser extent, Californication). Some of these I just haven't even heard of (is Silverchair really that overrated?), and some have valid points (albums like Never Mind the Bollocks are a handful of really good tracks that get put on a pedestal over the rest of the album) that get lost in the rabble-rousing. It also doesn't have my personal pick for the most overrated album of all time (Eagles' Hotel California).
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: Faster Louder - The Most Overrated Albums of All Time

Post by spiritualized »

This is just being provocative for the sake of it. Pick some of the all time classics and label them overrated. Is there any justification behind his claims ?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

My favourite album ever is in there so trash this list.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Most folks here know that I share the view that some of the albums on this are markedly over-rated (Velvet Underground and others). But, my perspective is mostly developed from whether I enjoy the songs on the album rather than because I am passing critical judgment about the album.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I agree with
47) Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
36) Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
34) Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
26) Joy Division - Closer
15) U2 - The Joshua Tree
11) Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
10) Pearl Jam - Ten

I understand, though slightly disagree with
43) The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
35) The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
25) The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
22) Jeff Buckley - Grace
20) Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
19) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
18) The Beatles - The Beatles (The White Album)
16) Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
7) The Clash - London Calling
6) The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
5) The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
3) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Wholeheartedly disagree!
29) Green Day - American Idiot
28) Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
23) The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
9) Radiohead - Kid A [this is on here but not Funeral?]
8) AC/DC - Back in Black

The rest I don't have a strong opinion on, or I haven't heard it yet.

This could be a fun idea for a poll, although I'm not sure how the logistics would work out.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:My favourite album ever is in there so trash this list.
Which one's that? And a load of mine are there too (The Queen is Dead, Born to Run, London Calling, and American Idiot are all upper-tier favorites of mine).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

prosecutorgodot wrote:I agree with
47) Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
36) Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
34) Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
26) Joy Division - Closer
15) U2 - The Joshua Tree
11) Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
10) Pearl Jam - Ten

I understand, though slightly disagree with
43) The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
35) The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
25) The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
22) Jeff Buckley - Grace
20) Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
19) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
18) The Beatles - The Beatles (The White Album)
16) Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
7) The Clash - London Calling
6) The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
5) The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
3) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Wholeheartedly disagree!
8) AC/DC - Back in Black

The rest I don't have a strong opinion on, or I haven't heard it yet.

This could be a fun idea for a poll, although I'm not sure how the logistics would work out.
I'd agree more about Muse if I'd heard more of their stuff (I'm definitely leaning toward overrated). I wouldn't even say the albums they picked for each artist are their most overrated (personally, I think the Beatles' most overrated album is Sgt. Pepper - though I still love it, Bruce's most overrated album is Born in the USA, and Kanye's most overrated album is Life of Pablo).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

spiritualized wrote:This is just being provocative for the sake of it. Pick some of the all time classics and label them overrated. Is there any justification behind his claims ?
Each one's picked by a different person and they plead their case. Most are "Side A was good, but Side B sucked."
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Which one's that? And a load of mine are there too (The Queen is Dead, Born to Run, London Calling, and American Idiot are all upper-tier favorites of mine).
It's Loveless. Also, The Queen Is Dead, The Velvet Underground & Nico, London Calling, Born to Run, Pet Sounds, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Daydream Nation, Grace or The Stone Roses are all enormous favourites of mine.

This list is preposterous. Not sure what the journalist was trying to achieve with it, but he's out of his mind. The only one I'd agree with right away is Californication; the Red Hot Chili Peppers' output up to Red Hot Minute is their real golden era.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
It's Loveless. Also, The Queen Is Dead, The Velvet Underground & Nico, London Calling, Born to Run, Pet Sounds, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Daydream Nation, Grace or The Stone Roses are all enormous favourites of mine.

This list is preposterous. Not sure what the journalist was trying to achieve with it, but he's out of his mind. The only one I'd agree with right away is Californication; the Red Hot Chili Peppers' output up to One Hot Minute is their real golden era.
It's more than one person and they're all nuts (methinks there's a little Australian resentment behind picking Since I Left You, The Boatman's Call, and Back in Black, three of the most famous albums from there - feels like a deliberate "fuck you" toward all the best Australian album lists). I also don't think Californication is the Chilis' best - as ever, it all comes back to Blood Sugar Sex Magik - but I mostly consider them an inconsistent but fun singles act.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Wholeheartedly disagree!
8) AC/DC - Back in Black
I wholeheartedly agree with this with the obvious exception of The Velvet Underground & Nico. AC/DC is one of the worst rock bands to have ever exist with maybe one good song to their credit and it's not on that album. American Idiot is equivalent to The Wall (an album I totally agree with its placing on it and actually needs to be higher) as one of the most pretentious rock operas there is. Animal Collective & Radiohead... Well, they're not bad, but they're not great.

To each his own, I guess.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

A few I agree with, a few I strongly disagree with.

In general I hate 'Overrated' discussions. You're not criticizing albums in those discussions, you're criticizing the fans of the albums. If you want to make a list of albums with a great reputation that you don't personally get the appeal of, great, call it that.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin wrote:A few I agree with, a few I strongly disagree with.

In general I hate 'Overrated' discussions. You're not criticizing albums in those discussions, you're criticizing the fans of the albums. If you want to make a list of albums with a great reputation that you don't personally get the appeal of, great, call it that.
Sums it up better than I could. Also, "overrated" comes with such overwhelmingly negative connotations when it doesn't necessarily always mean that you find a work bad...just not as good as everyone else thinks it is (though it could also mean you hate it when everyone else likes it). I really admire Kid A, but on a purely aesthetic level, I just couldn't get into it, yet I totally understand why so many people like it. And "Ultralight Beam" was on my best of 2016 list even though I wasn't a huge Life of Pablo fan (and I even think I should've put it higher in hindsight; then again, there are too many 2016 songs I adore that I didn't hear until recently to name).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:Wholeheartedly disagree!
8) AC/DC - Back in Black
I wholeheartedly agree with this with the obvious exception of The Velvet Underground & Nico. AC/DC is one of the worst rock bands to have ever exist with maybe one good song to their credit and it's not on that album. American Idiot is equivalent to The Wall (an album I totally agree with its placing on it and actually needs to be higher) as one of the most pretentious rock operas there is. Animal Collective & Radiohead... Well, they're not bad, but they're not great.

To each his own, I guess.
I dunno. American Idiot is kinda pretentious, but I always like Green Day based on how they sound, and the title track and "Holiday" sound great to me ("Boulevard of Broken Dreams," on the other hand, is absolutely the most overrated song on the album and possibly the most overrated of the decade). Sometimes, just sounding nice matters more to me than lyrical content, unless the lyrics are so jaw-droppingly awful that the song can't come back from them ("Blurred Lines," anyone?).

Also, am I the only one who likes what AC did before and after Merriweather Post Pavilion more than that actual album? I like "Unsolved Mysteries" and "FloriDada" way more than "My Girls."
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Eh. I agree with some here, sure. Certainly there is some legendary music that is not near our personal top 100 and that we find overrated, whether or not we are writing articles about it, including: albums that "define your generation" whether you even like them, an album that defined an older generation who expects the same level of veneration to live on forever, or, something that was groundbreaking except you still don't care that much. Lists don't really get my dander up anymore, even the relatively uncommon type. Some of the list's entries are halfway amateurish, along the lines of Pitchfork's early years. Well, it's nice that they'll stick their neck out next time with a top 50 underrated albums list.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Live in Phoenix wrote:Some of the list's entries are halfway amateurish, along the lines of Pitchfork's early years. Well, it's nice that they'll stick their neck out next time with a top 50 underrated albums list.
To me, disliking a beloved album is fine if there's a good defense for it. A lot of these are poorly-written, so I'd already have a harder time agreeing with them. And where's the bit about the underrated albums list? Because if it was made in the same way as this one, that actually could be eligible.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Call this list "Most divisive" and it would be a mostly accurate list.

I didn't know Silverchair was rated high enough to be considered overrated, though I understand they were a little more popular in Canada than the US? One time I watched an 'All time best videos' list on MuchMusic and Freak was in the top ten.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: In general I hate 'Overrated' discussions. You're not criticizing albums in those discussions, you're criticizing the fans of the albums.
That's part of what's wrong with the Faster Louder article to me. A lot of the write-ups attack teenagers, more openly emotional people and when I read what they write about The Wall I almost get the feeling like Pink Floyd personally insulted the writer (and I'm not even particularly fond of The Wall myself; though I love most of the preceding Floyd albums).

I love a good article that challenges a classic, but it a shame so few of them seem well-argumented. Everybody has at least a few acclaimed works they don't like and a topic about that on this site could be a good addition, but it is always a risky play. There are a couple of holy cows of Acclaimed Music I would like to tackle, but sometimes I feel like it would do more bad than good.
Araluenian
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Araluenian »

For perspective, the Australian artists whose albums these guys attack (Cut Copy, The Vines, Nick Cave, AC/DC, Powderfinger, The Avalanches, and Silverchair) would all be considered as "sacred cows" within Australian music writing circles in the same way that the international artists are worldwide. They were clearly aiming to create controversy with local and international readers alike.

And, for what it's worth, I don't agree with any of these selections except The White Album.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

That's another thing I hate, when people act like a male who openly experiences human emotions other than 'happy', 'angry', or 'lusty' is just following an annoying fashion trend, or unable to grow up enough to laugh at such petty concerns.

A real man is able to see vulnerability in others and have instincts other than 'Attack'.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Jirin wrote:In general I hate 'Overrated' discussions. You're not criticizing albums in those discussions, you're criticizing the fans of the albums. If you want to make a list of albums with a great reputation that you don't personally get the appeal of, great, call it that.
This is why I love AM so much. I despise how "overrated" has become the regular go-to phrase to criticise something and usually dismiss the opinion of anyone using it if they are unwilling to go into any depth as to why they feel that way.

As for the Faster Louder list, some of these choices seem questionable. Albums like 'Sigh No More', 'Odyssey Number Five' and 'The Black Album' are just as often criticised as they are praised.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Matski wrote:
Jirin wrote:In general I hate 'Overrated' discussions. You're not criticizing albums in those discussions, you're criticizing the fans of the albums. If you want to make a list of albums with a great reputation that you don't personally get the appeal of, great, call it that.
This is why I love AM so much. I despise how "overrated" has become the regular go-to phrase to criticise something and usually dismiss the opinion of anyone using it if they are unwilling to go into any depth as to why they feel that way.

As for the Faster Louder list, some of these choices seem questionable. Albums like 'Sigh No More', 'Odyssey Number Five' and 'The Black Album' are just as often criticised as they are praised.
As are The Wall, American Idiot, Californication and to a lesser extent Harvest. I mean, they have become classics in many ways, but especially among critics they still get a lot of beatings. They are all happy targets for lists such as this.

I think the inclusion of Sigh No More is mostly thanks to this list being made in 2012, when that album was somewhat ubiquitous. Five years later it doesn't seem all that present anymore.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Rob wrote:
Matski wrote:

As are The Wall, American Idiot, Californication and to a lesser extent Harvest. I mean, they have become classics in many ways, but especially among critics they still get a lot of beatings. They are all happy targets for lists such as this.

I think the inclusion of Sigh No More is mostly thanks to this list being made in 2012, when that album was somewhat ubiquitous. Five years later it doesn't seem all that present anymore.
Yeah, I always feel like I have to make a case for American Idiot. And I just realized that all the albums I had no idea about were Australian. Imagine a British mag dissing a British band!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Rob wrote:That's part of what's wrong with the Faster Louder article to me. A lot of the write-ups attack teenagers, more openly emotional people and when I read what they write about The Wall I almost get the feeling like Pink Floyd personally insulted the writer[...]
I noticed that, too. Obviously one does not stay a teenager forever, and tastes are prone to change, but aren't those years reasonably valid for having an opinion? (More to the point, hasn't rock music revolved around that demographic and its energy for practically forever? Maybe hipsters want to upset that dynamic. Now I'm thinking of how the opening of A Hard Day's Night film is a classic teenager moment and how an older demographic like myself, instead of chasing the Beatles, might be thinking, Do I even have time for this today, Do you think the police would cite me for something, I've got work tomorrow and I need to pick up dinner, etc.)

Some of the criticisms are relatable enough to me or to the rock community, whether good or bad. If you say "rock opera" or, say, "double CD that covers many different styles" someone else might hear "exciting new jazz odyssey direction." It's basically a matter of taste. The entry for Metallica's black album sounds like the old argument, Why is this or that solo artist/band screwing around on this new album (maybe coupled with accusations of selling out), Why doesn't he/she/they make every new album [let's say #7] sound like album [pick #1-6 utterly at random], which was extremely obviously their artistic high point, in fact can someone please get this information to them BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Black Holes is overrated in the sense that while it was the band's breakthrough, it is not their best album (that'd be Origin of Symmetry). While good, it was the beginning of the slow decline of the band once they made it big.

I would kind of agree with Interpol, Arctic Monkeys (they both made better records), Sonic Youth and Happy Mondays. As for Radiohead, I would have said The Bends is more overrated than Kid A.

As for Powderfinger, this is an indicator of the localization of the author. They were one of the biggest alternative acts there, basically the Nirvana of Australia. They won Triple J Hottest 100 consecutive years with "These Days" and "My Happiness", both from that album. They are virtually unknown outside of Australia, but were HUGE in country, sort of the opposite of Rodriguez. They sound very "American" and I can see why some would dislike them. As for the pick itself, it was included for much the same reason you say the Avalanches were.

Silverchair being on that list at all surprised me. Here in the US they are one-hit wonders and though slightly more well known in Oz, they don't seem big enough to have the twelfth most overrated album.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
Rob wrote:That's part of what's wrong with the Faster Louder article to me. A lot of the write-ups attack teenagers, more openly emotional people and when I read what they write about The Wall I almost get the feeling like Pink Floyd personally insulted the writer[...]
I noticed that, too. Obviously one does not stay a teenager forever, and tastes are prone to change, but aren't those years reasonably valid for having an opinion? (More to the point, hasn't rock music revolved around that demographic and its energy for practically forever? Maybe hipsters want to upset that dynamic. Now I'm thinking of how the opening of A Hard Day's Night film is a classic teenager moment and how an older demographic like myself, instead of chasing the Beatles, might be thinking, Do I even have time for this today, Do you think the police would cite me for something, I've got work tomorrow and I need to pick up dinner, etc.)

Some of the criticisms are relatable enough to me or to the rock community, whether good or bad. If you say "rock opera" or, say, "double CD that covers many different styles" someone else might hear "exciting new jazz odyssey direction." It's basically a matter of taste. The entry for Metallica's black album sounds like the old argument, Why is this or that solo artist/band screwing around on this new album (maybe coupled with accusations of selling out), Why doesn't he/she/they make every new album [let's say #7] sound like album [pick #1-6 utterly at random], which was extremely obviously their artistic high point, in fact can someone please get this information to them BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE?
Exactly. As a teenager myself, I can say one of the most annoying things is when some older snob says something along the lines of "oh, you millennial, just taking selfies and Instagramming when you could be changing the world." Then you call them out for it and they say, "Oh, you millennial. No sense of humor about yourselves."
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

As one of the oldest folks using the AM forum, I become extremely frustrated with my contemporaries when they become dismissive or overly critical of millennials. In my estimation, such criticisms typically reveal shortcomings of those offering the criticism rather than shortcomings of those being criticized - the criticizers are behaving as grumpy old folks.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I find most people have the most room in their hearts reserved for the music they discovered as a teenager.

Besides, hovering above every helpless Millennial is a Genexer in a helicopter, and behind every unemployed Millennial is a Boomer who shipped his job overseas then multiplied the cost of college tuition by 50. ;)

We tried changing the world, our parents conspired with the media against the guy who wanted to change it. But I digress.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

A bad, clickbaity article with no substance. Stuff like this only exists to rile people up so they leave angry comments, give the website clicks/attention, and satisfy their advertisers. It's best not to take blatantly contrarian stuff like this seriously.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:Exactly. As a teenager myself, I can say one of the most annoying things is when some older snob says something along the lines of "oh, you millennial, just taking selfies and Instagramming when you could be changing the world." Then you call them out for it and they say, "Oh, you millennial. No sense of humor about yourselves."
Going to be anal here and say that you are probably not a millennial. You most likely belong to the Homeland Generation.

But I agree that there is an inherent ageism here that needs to be stopped. It's ruining criticism. Of course, it's okay to question if the person refuses to explore music from all time periods, but it's not okay to chastise a person because they like certain music from now.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Exactly. As a teenager myself, I can say one of the most annoying things is when some older snob says something along the lines of "oh, you millennial, just taking selfies and Instagramming when you could be changing the world." Then you call them out for it and they say, "Oh, you millennial. No sense of humor about yourselves."
Going to be anal here and say that you are probably not a millennial. You most likely belong to the Homeland Generation.

But I agree that there is an inherent ageism here that needs to be stopped. It's ruining criticism. Of course, it's okay to question if the person refuses to explore music from all time periods, but it's not okay to chastise a person because they like certain music from now.
Hard to tell. I was born in '99, and the starting age for millennials is hazily defined. But I agree completely. I certainly try to explore all kinds of music past and present.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The official definition of Millenials is born from 1982-2003 or something along those lines. I'm just on the edge of that definition born in 1983, so internet got big when I was in middle school and I got a mix of the independence and the babying.

I will say, the Millennials are the generation that are going to be handed the biggest problems in the history of the world (Created by their parents for profit), and will probably be the generation that either saves the world or destroys it.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Jirin wrote:I will say, the Millennials are the generation that are going to be handed the biggest problems in the history of the world (Created by their parents for profit), and will probably be the generation that either saves the world or destroys it.
How comforting :mrgreen:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I've always seen "millennial" as defined by being born between 1980 and 1999.

Baby Boomer: 1945 - 1964
Gen X: 1965 - 1979
Millennial: 1980 - 1999
Generation Z/whatever we're gonna call this generation: 2000 - present day

That being said, I don't think there are any hard lines. Someone born in 1999 like Steviefan could easily claim membership to two generations. Someone like me though (born in 1991) is undoubtedly a millennial.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm exactly on the dividing line between Gen X and Millennial. But I gave money to Bernie Sanders -- I'm a Millennial.

I have a good job, I shower daily, yet I still believe in progressive policies. I personally disprove the Gen-Xers pet theories.

I think it's fair to say if Millennials don't solve global warming, it will be too late for the next gen. (No pressure)

Here's to the Gen-Xers and Boomers though. They taught us good moral values, then created a world for us where they seem not to apply.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”