NME: 20 Greatest Motown Songs

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

NME: 20 Greatest Motown Songs

Post by Listyguy »

I didn't notice this list in the critic's list thread, and since it's not eligible anyway, I figured I'd put it here: http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/best ... me-1969454

Interesting list. I like that it doesn't just hammer out all of the "bests" from each artist (see: "My Girl" not being the highest Temptations song, "You Can't Hurry Love" the only Supremes song on the list, etc). It does have at least one glaring omission, in my opinion: "Reach Out (I'll Be There)".
Henry
Into the Groove

Re: NME: 20 Greatest Motown Songs

Post by Henry »

I found it interesting that Rare Earth's "I Know I'm Losing You" (15 on the all-time Motown list) isn't even AM's bubbling under category - yet. I also did not find this gem in the 2017 AM additions spreadsheet.

Also missing from AM (so far) is "The Onion Song" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (20 on the Motown list).

How about those apples?
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henry wrote:I found it interesting that Rare Earth's "I Know I'm Losing You" (15 on the all-time Motown list) isn't even AM's bubbling under category - yet. I also did not find this gem in the 2017 AM additions spreadsheet.

Also missing from AM (so far) is "The Onion Song" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (20 on the Motown list).

How about those apples?
I'm guessing that's some love for Northern Soul slipping in - I believe I Know I'm Losing You is also on the Kev Roberts list, so if this list was eligible, it'd make the cut.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Maybe this list should've been posted in the lists board and added to the "Song genre lists from non-genre sources (currently ineligible)" thread.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

At least it has "You Can't Hurry Love" as the Supremes' best or most representative. Woo-hoo! :music-rockon:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”