How was "An Awesome Wave"'s reception at initial release?

Sunwoo1213
Are You Experienced?

How was "An Awesome Wave"'s reception at initial release?

Post by Sunwoo1213 »

It's an album I love, and it is now no.11 at AM 2012 Rank, and No.9 at AM 2012 AOTY List.

But It's Metacritic Rating is only 71.. so I'm curious about it's reception at initial release. I didn't listened to music at 2012..
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: How was "An Awesome Wave"'s reception at initial release?

Post by Nassim »

I think a lot to it has to do with the fact it was initially panned by US critics but very acclaimed (and popular among hip crowds) in Europe. Metacritic has no (or at least very few) reviews in non English speaking language, but you can see the album got #1 spot on French, German, Dutch, Belgian and Spanish list. Looking at mid decade lists, I don't think that has changed : loved in Europe, ignored in the US.

I'm on team US on that one.
Sunwoo1213
Are You Experienced?

Post by Sunwoo1213 »

Nassim wrote:I think a lot to it has to do with the fact it was initially panned by US critics but very acclaimed (and popular among hip crowds) in Europe. Metacritic has no (or at least very few) reviews in non English speaking language, but you can see the album got #1 spot on French, German, Dutch, Belgian and Spanish list. Looking at mid decade lists, I don't think that has changed : loved in Europe, ignored in the US.

Oh, I See it. Reminds me of Skeleton Tree in 2016 AOTY List.. The Difference is Skeleton Tree has an Extremely High Rating 95, but it was ignored on the end of year...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sunwoo1213 wrote:
Nassim wrote:I think a lot to it has to do with the fact it was initially panned by US critics but very acclaimed (and popular among hip crowds) in Europe. Metacritic has no (or at least very few) reviews in non English speaking language, but you can see the album got #1 spot on French, German, Dutch, Belgian and Spanish list. Looking at mid decade lists, I don't think that has changed : loved in Europe, ignored in the US.

Oh, I See it. Reminds me of Skeleton Tree in 2016 AOTY List.. The Difference is Skeleton Tree has an Extremely High Rating 95, but it was ignored on the end of year...
I wouldn't necessarily say that. I saw Skeleton Tree show up on a fair deal of year-end lists (though I will say Brits and Aussies seem to give Nick Cave more attention than Americans do).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”