Musicthatmakesyoudumb

Henrik
Site Admin

Musicthatmakesyoudumb

Post by Henrik »

I found this really interesting (and amusing) analysis.

http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/

Thankfully I'm not into Lil Wayne at all, but I do need to listen to more Beethoven.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Musicthatmakesyoudumb

Post by StevieFan13 »

I knew smart people liked Billy Joel!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

This doesn't correlate music taste with intelligence. It correlates music taste with college which it then correlates with SAT scores.

This says a lot more about culture of selective private colleges versus public colleges than it does about musical taste and intelligence.

For ezxample, with this methodology dumb rich people are recorded as smart and smart poor people are recorded as dumb.
Last edited by Jirin on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin wrote:This doesn't correlate music taste with intelligence. It correlates music taste with college which it then correlates with SAT scores.

This says a lot more about culture of selective private colleges versus public colleges than it does about musical taste and intelligence.
True. But smart people do like Billy Joel.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

The title seems a little misleading. Seems more like it's trying to say this is what people of varying intelligence listen to, not that listening to certain types of music makes you less intelligent. I always assumed that's what Primal Scream was for.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Jirin wrote:This doesn't correlate music taste with intelligence. It correlates music taste with college which it then correlates with SAT scores.

What kind of name is "Brender," though? :mrgreen:
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:

What kind of name is "Brender," though? :mrgreen:
Fair enough. I keep forgetting not everyone here's from New York. Over here, we just kinda know that's how Long Islanders say "Brenda." Billy Joel is very much a New York thing.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I don't know, it seems classist
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

In most cases I like the music on the right side better than that on the left side, with one exception. I don't think Beyoncé deserves to be that far on the left. You can't take this too seriously. If college students don't listen to a certain kind of music that doesn't necessarily mean those musicians aren't intelligent. A fan of Beethoven is probably more intelligent than a fan of Psy or Baha Men, but it also has to do with sociology, not just with intelligence.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

bonnielaurel wrote:In most cases I like the music on the right side better than that on the left side, with one exception. I don't think Beyoncé deserves to be that far on the left. You can't take this too seriously. If college students don't listen to a certain kind of music that doesn't necessarily mean those musicians aren't intelligent. A fan of Beethoven is probably more intelligent than a fan of Psy or Baha Men, but it has also to do with sociology, not just with intelligence.
I agree with this and what others have said. I thought this was kinda cool and fun but also somewhat regret that I started this topic. Anyway, I don't think the guy behind the analysis wanted it to be taken too seriously either (although he wanted to stir a debate for sure).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

I like the topic, as long as people see that schedule in a context. The question what makes people like or dislike different kinds of music has always fascinated me. Everyone is somehow influenced by their social environment, whether by following other's taste or by revolting against it. You are what you listen to.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Not a fan of that site at all. I listen to everything from Young Thug to Sinatra. Seems to be 'hey if you listen to Young Thug you aren't very smart and if you listen to Beethoven man you must be really smart'. Silly and ignorant. What music you listen to in no way measures your intelligence or lack of it.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

bootsy wrote:Not a fan of that site at all. I listen to everything from Young Thug to Sinatra. Seems to be 'hey if you listen to Young Thug you aren't very smart and if you listen to Beethoven man you must be really smart'. Silly and ignorant. What music you listen to in no way measures your intelligence or lack of it.
The site has a disclaimer that correlation does not imply causation. Saying 'There exists a correlation between intelligence and musical taste' is not saying 'Anyone who listens to this is dumb'.

The problem with this site though is that they aren't actually correlating with intelligence. They are correlating through college attendance, via average SAT scores of that college. This is a very poor proxy for intelligence.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

:mrgreen: Lil' Wayne on the one end and classical music on the other end. Supposedly dumb music vs. supposedly intelligent music. Fortunately someone has already made a short video to challenge this notion...
...will keep us together.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”