Mini-Poll: Top 50 Disney Songs

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Mini-Poll: Top 50 Disney Songs

Post by StevieFan13 »

I'll set the deadline for this one at two weeks, because I want most of our energy to be on the Rolling Stones songs list. But Rob brought this idea up before and I couldn't resist.

My top 25:
25. Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride (from Lilo and Stitch)
24. I'm Still Here (from Treasure Planet)
23. Little Wonders (from Meet the Robinsons)
22. We Know the Way (from Moana)
21. My Belle Evangeline (from The Princess and the Frog)
20. He's a Tramp (from Lady and the Tramp)
19. I'll Make a Man Out of You (from Mulan)
18. Colors of the Wind (from Pocahontas)
17. Prince Ali (from Aladdin)
16. Belle (from Beauty and the Beast)
15. Bella Notte (from Lady and the Tramp)
14. Let It Go (from Frozen)
13. The Backson (from Winnie the Pooh)
12. The World's Greatest Criminal Mind (from The Great Mouse Detective)
11. Friend Like Me (from Aladdin)
10. Friends on the Other Side (from The Princess and the Frog)
9. Why Should I Worry? (from Oliver & Company)
8. Zero to Hero (from Hercules)
7. Be Our Guest (from Beauty and the Beast)
6. Under the Sea (from The Little Mermaid)
5. Part of Your World (from The Little Mermaid)
4. I Wanna Be Like You (from The Jungle Book)
3. A Whole New World (from Aladdin)
2. Kiss the Girl (from The Little Mermaid)
1. Circle of Life (from The Lion King)

EDIT: Just to make life easier for me, try to stick with the Disney animated "classics" (all the films made by Walt Disney Feature Animation - about 56, starting with Snow White and currently up to Moana).
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: Mini-Poll: Top 50 Disney Songs

Post by babydoll »

I'm choosing to the cut the live-action Disney films and want everyone to remember that Pixar is not the same as Disney.

01 | Pinocchio | When You Wish Upon a Star
02 | Beauty and the Beast | Beauty and the Beast
03 | Pocahontas | Colors of the Wind
04 | The Lion King | Circle of Life
05 | Beauty and the Beast | Belle
06 | Cinderella | A Dream Is a Wish Your Makes
07 | Mulan | I'll Make a Man Out of You
08 | One Hundred and One Dalmatians | Cruella de Vil
09 | Beauty and the Beast | Gaston
10 | Dumbo | Baby Mine
11 | Sleeping Beauty | Once Upon a Dream
12 | Lady and the Tramp | He's a Tramp
13 | Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs | Whistle While You Work
14 | Aladdin | Friend Like Me
15 | The Lion King | Can You Feel the Love Tonight
16 | Beauty and the Beast | Be Our Guest
17 | Pocahontas | If I Never Knew You
18 | Lady and the Tramp | The Siamese Cat Song
19 | The Jungle Book | The Bare Necessities
20 | Peter Pan | The Second Star to the Right
21 | Lady and the Tramp | Bella Notte
22 | Cinderella | Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo
23 | The Little Mermaid | Kiss the Girl
24 | The Little Mermaid | Poor Unfortunate Souls
25 | The Princess and the Frog | Down in New Orleans

Beauty and the Beast is really the epitome of the Disney narrative musicals. I'm just grateful Howard Ashman got to complete the score before he passed away. Three of the songs got nominated for an Oscar, but "Gaston" should have also gotten nominated.

I also included "If I Never Knew You", an outtake from Pocahontas, which was only cut because the filmmakers thought it was a storytelling block. Disney's proud of that song, though, even putting a Shanice-Jon Secada version in the ending credits.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

I'm not much for Can You Feel the Love Tonight, but it's OK. And I also love Beauty and the Beast (my favorite Disney movie's Fantasia, followed by Zootopia, Big Hero 6, The Lion King, Lilo and Stitch, and The Emperor's New Groove).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

01. Friend Like Me (from Aladdin)
02. The Bare Necessities (from The Jungle Book)
03. Why Should I Worry? (from Oliver and Company)
04. Be Our Guest (from Beauty and the Beast)
05. Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat (from The Aristocats)
06. Little April Shower (from Bambi)
07. Beauty and the Beast (from Beauty and the Beast)
08. The World's Greatest Criminal Mind (from The Great Mouse Detective)
09. Streets of Gold (from Oliver and Company)
10. Once Upon a Time in New York City (from Oliver and Company)
11. I Wan'na Be Like You (from The Jungle Book)
12. When You Wish Upon a Star (from Pinocchio)
13. Under the Sea (from The Little Mermaid)
14. Zero to Hero (from Hercules)
15. Something There (from Beauty and the Beast)
16. Let It Go (from Frozen)
17. He's a Tramp (from Lady and the Tramp)
18. Friends on the Other Side (from The Princess and the Frog)
19. Whistle While You Work (from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
20. Prince Ali (from Aladdin)
21. A Star Is Born (from Hercules)
22. Belle (from Beauty and the Beast)
23. Heigh-Ho (from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
24. Dig a Little Deeper (from The Princess and the Frog)
25. Colors of the Wind (from Pocahontas)

I curiously had more difficulties than I thought to build a top 25 Disney songs. I know almost all these films by heart, but the songs that stick with me are the ones which work best out of the context of the film. That's why Oliver and Company fares so well - these are just pop songs with a decidedly 80s production, but these are killer songs supported by stellar singers. Disney's further ventures into pop didn't work as well in my opinion. Also, for The Lion King, I love the film, but I've growned curiously indifferent to the music today, even though I've been crazy about "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" and "Be Prepared" as much as the next guy back in the days. Disney's recent music output also doesn't really speak to me.

Shout-out to The Rescuers Down Under, which doesn't feature any eligible songs but has a very good soundtrack for the (also very good) adventure-comedy film it is. And to Scarlett Johansson for her rendition of "Trust in Me" which is the best James Bond song that wasn't composed for a James Bond film.

EDIT: might as well do all the other shout-outs I'm thinking about while I'm at it: the Tevin Campbell tracks from A Goofy Movie are killers (even though New Jack Swing is outdated), I actually think Tina Turner's "He Lives in You" might be the best recording associated with the Lion King licence, and the openings to the Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers and DuckTales 80s shows were legit earworms, even if the quality of the lyrics can be discussed.

With this I should be good.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Finally a serious poll. Two masterpieces are easy to overlook: my number 10 because it's from a 1933 animated short, and my number 4 because it has become a victim of the political correctness lobby. "Mary Poppins" shouldn't be forgotten either.

1. Louis Prima - I Wan'na Be Like You (The Jungle Book)
2. Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle [Lea Salonga & Brad Kane]- A Whole New World (Aladdin)
3. Elton John - Circle of Life (The Lion King)
X. James Baskett - Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah (Song of the South)
4. Demi Lovato [Idina Menzel] - Let It Go (Frozen)
5. Adriana Caselotti - Someday My Prince Will Come (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
X. Julie Andrews - A Spoonful of Sugar (Mary Poppins)
6. Vanessa Williams [Judy Kuhn] - Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)
X. Randy Newman - You've Got a Friend in Me (Toy Story)
X. Mary Moder & Dorothy Compton - Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? (Three Little Pigs)
7. Phil Harris - Bruce Reitherman - The Bare Necessities (The Jungle Book)
8. Cliff Edwards - When You Wish Uon a Star (Pinocchio)
9. The Seven Dwarfs - Heigh-Ho (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
10. Celine Dion & Peabo Bryson [Angela Lansbury]- Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)
11. Elton John - Can You Feel the Love Tonight (The Lion King)
X. Julie Andrews & Dick Van Dyke - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (Mary Poppins)
12. Nathan Lane e.a. - Hakuna Matata (The Lion King)
13. Phil Collins - You'll Be in My Heart (Tarzan)
X. Avril Lavigne - Alice in Wonderland (Alice)
X. Scarlett Johansson [Sterling Holloway] - Trust in Me (The Jungle Book)
X. Dick Van Dyke & David Tomlinson - Let's Go Fly a Kite (Mary Poppins)
X. Dick Van Dyke e.a. - Chim Chim Cher-ee (Mary Poppins)
X. Angela Lansbury - The Age of Not Believing (Bedknobs and Broomsticks)
14. Samuel E. Wright - Under the Sea (The Little Mermaid)
X. Julie Andrews - Feed the Birds (Mary Poppins)
15. Roger Miller - Not inNottingham (Robin Hood)

EDIT: songs not illegible have been numbered with X.
Last edited by bonnielaurel on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I didn't know so many of you guys had these lists ready to go!! I love many of the Disney classics (movies and songs) but I won't participate because I'm mostly familiar with Swedish versions (and I don't have the time - I would need to do some serious digging). There would be no Elton John in sight though, no matter how.

Just out of curiosity, do Disney TV series count? You got to have the best of both worlds, you know. ;)
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:I didn't know so many of you guys had these lists ready to go!! I love many of the Disney classics (movies and songs) but I won't participate because I'm mostly familiar with Swedish versions (and I don't have the time - I would need to do some serious digging). There would be no Elton John in sight though, no matter how.

Just out of curiosity, do Disney TV series count? You got to have the best of both worlds, you know. ;)
I bet the Swedish versions also sound great. And TV show-wise, I'd say they count (as long as you remember Phineas and Ferb...).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Henrik wrote:I didn't know so many of you guys had these lists ready to go!! I love many of the Disney classics (movies and songs) but I won't participate because I'm mostly familiar with Swedish versions (and I don't have the time - I would need to do some serious digging). There would be no Elton John in sight though, no matter how.

I bet the Swedish versions also sound great. And TV show-wise, I'd say they count (as long as you remember Phineas and Ferb...).
I assumed that only the animated "classics" counted and didn't add songs from the rest of the Disney production. Whatever, I'm fine with my list, and if I edited it, it would mostly be to add Mary Poppins songs. I won't bother ;)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:

I assumed that only the animated "classics" counted and didn't add songs from the rest of the Disney production. Whatever, I'm fine with my list, and if I edited it, it would mostly be to add Mary Poppins songs. I won't bother ;)
I really was only intending to count the "classics," but then the live-action songs were introduced and here we are. I might ask people to edit the non-classic songs out of their list just to make the vote-sorting easier.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

[quote="Pierre"and the openings to the Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers and DuckTales 80s shows were legit earworms, even if the quality of the lyrics can be discussed.[/quote]

Neither has anything on the Kim Possible theme. Sorry, I grew up with that and you probably didn't. So I dunno.

Sticking only with the animated canon. Basically only the main movies you think of with Disney:

1) "Beauty and the Beast" (from Beauty and the Beast)
2) "Baby Mine" (from Dumbo)
3) "Circle of Life" (from Lion King)
4) "When you Wish Upon a Star" (From Pinocchio)
5) "A Whole New World" (from Aladdin)
6) "Under the Sea" (from Little Mermaid)
7) "God Help the Outcasts" (from Hunchback of Notre Dame)
8) "Two Worlds" (from Tarzan)
9) "Belle" (from Beauty and the Beast)
10) "Almost There" (from Princess and the Frog)
11) "Hellfire" (from Hunchback of Notre Dame)
12) "The Bare Necessities" (from The Jungle Book)
13) "A Perfect World" (from Emperor's New Groove. Tom Jones! Your argument is invalid)
14) "Heigh-Ho" (from Snow White)
15) "Prince Ali" (from Aladdin)
16) "Bells of Notre Dame" (From Hunchback of Notre Dame)
17) "Friends on the Other Side" (from Princess and the Frog)
18) "Love is a Song" (from Bambi)
19) "Colors of the Wind" (from Pocahontas)
20) "The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers" (from Many Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh)
21) "Bella Note" (from Lady and the Tramp)
22) "Be Our Guest" (from Beauty and the Beast)
23) "Poor Unfortunate Souls" (from The Little Mermaid)
24) "Gaston" (from Beauty and the Beast)
25) "We're Three Caballeros" (from Three Caballeros)

Honorable mentions (films outside the canon):

"Call me Beep Me" (Theme from Kim Possible)
"Come Little Children" (from Hocus Pocus)
"Down to Earth" (from WALL-E)
"Ducktales Theme"
"Feed the Birds" (from Mary Poppins)
"It's not Easy" (from the original Pete's Dragon)
"My Lullaby" (from Lion King 2)
"Talespin Theme" (Disney does reggae. Who knew?)
"With a Flair" (from Bedknobs and Broomsticks)
"You're the Greatest" (from Wander over Yonder. Their whole musical episode could fit actually)
"Zip-a-dee-do-Dah" (from Song of the South)
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

whuntva wrote:
Pierre wrote:and the openings to the Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers and DuckTales 80s shows were legit earworms, even if the quality of the lyrics can be discussed.
Neither has anything on the Kim Possible theme. Sorry, I grew up with that and you probably didn't. So I dunno.
Indeed I didn't - I'm aware of Kim Possible (watched very little of it though. I plan to catch up at an undetermined point in the future) but never listened to the theme. I just did and yeah it's quite catchy, falling somewhere around Spice Girls and Destiny's Child (I mean it in a good way). I still prefer the aforementioned two though ;)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
whuntva wrote:
Pierre wrote:and the openings to the Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers and DuckTales 80s shows were legit earworms, even if the quality of the lyrics can be discussed.
Indeed I didn't - I'm aware of Kim Possible (watched very little of it though. I plan to catch up at an undetermined point in the future) but never listened to the theme. I just did and yeah it's quite catchy, falling somewhere around Spice Girls and Destiny's Child (I mean it in a good way). I still prefer the aforementioned two though ;)
Disney shows have the best theme songs. Can't forget Milo Murphy's Law or Goof Troop.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Haven't seen enough Disney movies to vote, my list would be all Aladdin, Jungle Book and Lion King (and if eligible, The Nightmare Before Christmas and A Goofy Movie).

That being said, we agreed with my girlfriend that if and when we get married, the waltz opening the dance would be that :
Also, the defining song from an animated movie for the French kid I was is definitely from Astérix et Cléopatre :
Nothing can beat le Pudding à l'Arsenic for me, and given the reaction when Chinese Man used to play their remix on festivals, I am not the only one.
Just saw there also is an English version

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”