Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post Reply
User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:27 pm

This has only come to my mind because "Cruiser's Creek" by the Fall has been stuck in my head for the last few days. The Fall is a pretty big '80s alt-rock band in England, but they're pretty much unheard-of in the states (to my non-British ear, they're a tad overrated, but I can never truly find British '80s alt-rock overrated). So, here's a project I want to embark on. Which bands and artists are most famous in their native countries, have they ever crossed over, should they cross over, and do they live up to the hype?
Some examples:
ENGLAND
The Specials
What are they: The most famous British ska band of all time. One of the biggest names on the Two-Tone label. Based primarily on British critics' lists, "Ghost Town" currently sits in the top 100 of AM's top 6000 songs (and their self-titled debut is in the top 200 of the album list).
Have they ever crossed over?: Not really. Even the '90s ska craze didn't really do much to bring them into the public eye. American critics are pretty fond of their first album, and occasionally they'll mention "Ghost Town" on a best '80s songs list, but that's about it.
Should they have crossed over?: Little late for that, but I wish they had.
Do they live up to the hype?: Absolutely! Love this band. They're cool and gothic but also fun and bouncy. Good goddamn band.

SCOTLAND
Primal Scream
Who are they: ...shit, I don't know. They're sort of electronic, but also just kind of psychedelic house music? Whatever they are, the UK loves 'em. Screamadelica is, again, in the AM's top 100 albums through British lists alone.
Have they ever crossed over?: Alt-rock sites seem to like them, but not even that much.
Should they have crossed over?: They're due for a critical re-evaluation, but I don't know how they ever could've charted.
Do they live up to the hype?: They're pretty good. Screamadelica is actually a great album.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Others that come to mind that I'll get to at some point:

England - Madness, Dexys Midnight Runners, Westlife, The Stone Roses, Pulp, Blur, Sugababes, Suede
Wales - Manic Street Preachers, Super Furry Animals, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci
The USA - Billy Joel, Tom Petty
Canada - The Tragically Hip
Australia - Midnight Oil, Divinyls, Daddy Cool, The 13th Floor Elevators, The Seekers, Kylie Minogue (to an extent)
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by PlasticRam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Obviously countless examples from non-English-speaking countries. Easier to make the case that some of them would deserve wider attention.

But of course some of the artists you've already mentioned are quality too.
I feel like that

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:58 pm

PlasticRam wrote:Obviously countless examples from non-English-speaking countries. Easier to make the case that some of them would deserve wider attention.

But of course some of the artists you've already mentioned are quality too.
If there's any you can think of in particular, let me know, 'cuz I always love looking for new music.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Also, I've been debating this: would you call the Smiths one of these types of bands?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Pierre
Higher Ground
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Pierre » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:08 pm

StevieFan13 wrote: Who are they: ...shit, I don't know. They're sort of electronic, but also just kind of psychedelic house music? Whatever they are, the UK loves 'em. Screamadelica is, again, in the AM's top 100 albums through British lists alone.
They're Madchester. It's a style of music which existed in Europe around the late 80s-early 90s and was a mutant child of funk, house and psychedelic rock. Other big acts in the style include the Stone Roses (their self-titled album is beyond awesome) and Happy Mondays. Generally, the first song considered a forerunner of the style is "How Soon Is Now?" by the Smiths, although I'd say it was influential on the style's development more than representative of it. It developped concurrently with shoegazing, and both styles probably fed on each other, before collapsing under the unstable personalities of their main leaders... Nevertheless, they were influential on the development of Britpop (actually, Blur started as a Madchester outfit), but today, it is thought that shoegazing was more influential in the long run while Madchester seems to be looked upon as an era novelty style. American comments about it are generally dismissive but Europe keeps it in high regard. I do like this music a lot ;)

Smithers-Jones
Strange Fruit
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Smithers-Jones » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:14 pm

A few that spring to mind

UK - Small Faces, The Jam
Argentina - Soda Stereo

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: Who are they: ...shit, I don't know. They're sort of electronic, but also just kind of psychedelic house music? Whatever they are, the UK loves 'em. Screamadelica is, again, in the AM's top 100 albums through British lists alone.
They're Madchester. It's a style of music which existed in Europe around the late 80s-early 90s and was a mutant child of funk, house and psychedelic rock. Other big acts in the style include the Stone Roses (their self-titled album is beyond awesome) and Happy Mondays. Generally, the first song considered a forerunner of the style is "How Soon Is Now?" by the Smiths, although I'd say it was influential on the style's development more than representative of it. It developped concurrently with shoegazing, and both styles probably fed on each other, before collapsing under the unstable personalities of their main leaders... Nevertheless, they were influential on the development of Britpop (actually, Blur started as a Madchester outfit), but today, it is thought that shoegazing was more influential in the long run while Madchester seems to be looked upon as an era novelty style. American comments about it are generally dismissive but Europe keeps it in high regard. I do like this music a lot ;)
I didn't know PS was also considered Madchester. Then again, Blur starting off as Madchester makes a lot of sense ("There's No Other Way" is exactly in that style). I like a lot of it too.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Colombia - Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
Russia - t.A.T.u.
England - Dizzee Rascal, Oasis (again, to an extent - most Americans know "Wonderwall" at least), So Solid Crew, Sandy Denny
The USA - The Replacements, Kiss, Eagles
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Pierre
Higher Ground
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Pierre » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:26 pm

StevieFan13 wrote:Colombia - Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
Russia - t.A.T.u.
England - Dizzee Rascal, Oasis (again, to an extent - most Americans know "Wonderwall" at least), So Solid Crew, Sandy Denny
The USA - The Replacements, Kiss, Eagles
I think you can scratch t.A.T.u. They're actually more famous elsewhere, I think. Acts that would qualify are Auktyon, Zemfira, Kino or Tequilajazzz ;)

Smithers-Jones
Strange Fruit
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Smithers-Jones » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:10 am

With regards to a lot of British bands (eg. The Jam, The Specials, The Fall, Oasis etc.) I think the reason that they are perhaps unknown or underrated in the USA and the rest of the world is because they are (without meaning to use a cliché) 'quintessentially British' in lyrical content and even down to how they dress and image. Bands like those I've mentioned are highly regarded in the UK but perhaps they don't resonate to oversees audiences in quite the same way.

User avatar
babydoll
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by babydoll » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:15 am

StevieFan13 wrote:Screamadelica is actually a great album.
That was one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. XTRMNTR on the other hand...

Araluenian
The Only Way Is Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:01 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Araluenian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:42 am

Australian here. Some of our most well-loved/iconic bands had some success overseas, like AC/DC, INXS, Midnight Oil, and Crowded House.

In terms of an iconic band that really only made it big in Australia (our version of The Tragically Hip, I guess), I'd probably say Cold Chisel. That band belted out some driving pub rock/hard rock songs with real heart and deceptively deep lyricism for nearly a decade. A solo artist that never made it big elsewhere (as opposed to someone like Kylie Minogue, who did) would be John Farnham, who started out as a teen idol, became washed up for 15 years, then returned in 1986 with an album of locally iconic mature pop rockers that became the second highest-selling album ever in Australia, and sealed Farnham's place in the cultural psyche.

Of course, Australian music critics have their own favourite iconic artists. I'd say that they would include The Easybeats, The Saints, The Church, The Triffids, The Go-Betweens, The Avalanches, individual singer-songwriters like Paul Kelly, and, of course, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds.

Anyway, that probably doesn't answer the question, but hopefully gives an insight into how the music scene that is considered iconic locally coincided and differs from the Australian music that makes it big overseas. Also, I feel obliged to point out that we Australians can't claim The 13th Floor Elevators; I think that they were from L.A.

User avatar
Listyguy
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2249
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Listyguy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:12 am

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Screamadelica is actually a great album.
That was one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. XTRMNTR on the other hand...
Both are damn near wretched, in my opinion

User avatar
babydoll
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by babydoll » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:16 am

Listyguy wrote:
babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Screamadelica is actually a great album.
That was one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. XTRMNTR on the other hand...
Both are damn near wretched, in my opinion
I know your opinion. I groaned at your review on RYM... and was saddened.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 am

Araluenian wrote:Australian here. Some of our most well-loved/iconic bands had some success overseas, like AC/DC, INXS, Midnight Oil, and Crowded House.

In terms of an iconic band that really only made it big in Australia (our version of The Tragically Hip, I guess), I'd probably say Cold Chisel. That band belted out some driving pub rock/hard rock songs with real heart and deceptively deep lyricism for nearly a decade. A solo artist that never made it big elsewhere (as opposed to someone like Kylie Minogue, who did) would be John Farnham, who started out as a teen idol, became washed up for 15 years, then returned in 1986 with an album of locally iconic mature pop rockers that became the second highest-selling album ever in Australia, and sealed Farnham's place in the cultural psyche.

Of course, Australian music critics have their own favourite iconic artists. I'd say that they would include The Easybeats, The Saints, The Church, The Triffids, The Go-Betweens, The Avalanches, individual singer-songwriters like Paul Kelly, and, of course, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds.

Anyway, that probably doesn't answer the question, but hopefully gives an insight into how the music scene that is considered iconic locally coincided and differs from the Australian music that makes it big overseas. Also, I feel obliged to point out that we Australians can't claim The 13th Floor Elevators; I think that they were from L.A.
Thanks for your input! I love the Australian music I've heard. And my mistake; for some bizarre reason I get the Easybeats and the 13th Floor Elevators confused all the time (maybe 'cuz they were both on Nuggets? But I haven't heard either Friday On My Mind or You're Gonna Miss Me recently enough to know if that's why I confuse the two). I think the Elevators are actually from Texas.

Both Midnight Oil and Divinyls are one-hit wonders in the States (though the former also scored a bunch of singles on the alternative charts). I guess you could also say the Seekers, but they're mostly popular in the UK in addition to Australia - I think Georgy Girl charted in the States.

The Australian artists with the biggest crossover success stateside are AC/DC, INXS, Kylie Minogue (though more in the UK), and Bee Gees, and critics are pretty fond of Nick Cave, the Avalanches, and, to a lesser extent, the Hoodoo Gurus, the Easybeats, and the Church's Under the Milky Way.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:09 am

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Screamadelica is actually a great album.
That was one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. XTRMNTR on the other hand...
Well, I first heard it on a plane flight where it was followed by Miles Davis and A Tribe Called Quest, so maybe it was shaped by being surrounded by very mellow albums. It was pretty cool to me. I haven't heard all of XTRMNTR (Shoot Speed, Kill Light is a great song, though).
I agree they're overrated, but I wouldn't dismiss them completely.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:11 am

Here's an example of a band I don't find as annoying as I probably would if I were English: Madness. Madness have a couple of hits here (the only major one being Our House), and I love 'em, but I imagine British people would probably get sick of them after a while. In regards to British ska bands, The English Beat<Madness<The Specials. (But they're all great).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Pierre
Higher Ground
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Pierre » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 am

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Screamadelica is actually a great album.
That was one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. XTRMNTR on the other hand...
I disagree completely with this assessment... It's true that Screamadelica tends more toward the dub(-ish) and ambient sides of electronic music (except for the opening track), but I think Primal Scream use it to create really beautiful soundscapes and each time I go back to it I find new aspects of the music to enjoy, which is to me one of the most important criteria to define a great album. The amount of drugs used during the recording, I don't want to know, but I generally like music produced under the influence of drugs (even though I'm not a consumer myself), so I don't care. My favourite Madchester record still remains The Stone Roses.

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3056
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Rob » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Being from a non-English language country there are too many to mention: songs sung in Dutch don't travel well abroad. We have a lot of English language singers here though and many are successful in the Netherlands, but rarely abroad.

The most interesting case is The Golden Earrings. In the rest of the world they are known as one-hit wonder because of Radar Love. In The Netherlands however, they are practically The Rolling Stones and have had an insane amount of hits, spanning four decades! But somehow only Radar Love struck a chord in other countries (though I believe Twilight Zone did some minor business too).

maduroenlima
Debut
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:21 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by maduroenlima » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:37 am

ARGENTINA, and Latin America

Soda Stereo is the 100.00% cult rock group in Argentina, also adulated and stylistically copied in much of Latin America. But I find their music depressingly downbeat sad, always moving through minor keys never resolving a truly happy moment. Worse still, so many other groups such as from Peru and Chile seem hell bent on copying their ¨successful¨ sound, with similarly sad song results. And finally Soda Stereo has such pretentious and complex band orchestrations, always going nowhere quickly, ha ha ha.

If Soda Stereo represents the high peak of Latin Rock, OMG ... as Moody Blues might say they are ¨ Lost in a Lost World ¨ !!!

User avatar
acroamor
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:16 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by acroamor » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:17 am

Listyguy wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:12 am
babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Screamadelica is actually a great album.
That was one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. XTRMNTR on the other hand...
Both are damn near wretched, in my opinion
I'm choosing to believe this usage of wretched is like when people used "that's so bad" to mean "good".

User avatar
luvulongTIM
Different Class
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by luvulongTIM » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:45 am

I know Ireland has the Frames who I thought would have gotten at least a cult following in the States following the success of Once and the soundtrack and all the great word of mouth about their concerts but than I saw their insanely low placement when they were being advertised to play Coachella, so I guess it wasn’t meant to be for them. Mew I think should have had the success of the Raveonettes or at least I think they deserved better and I’m sure they were quite popular in their hometown of Denmark. Oddly enough I was thinking about the amount of hits Aqua had and I remember them having quite a few other than Barbie Girl. A nicer slower number totally different from the euro pop staples Candyman and Lollipop in fact I remember hearing at the mall earlier this week.
Image

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:07 am

acroamor wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:17 am
Listyguy wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:12 am
babydoll wrote: That was one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. XTRMNTR on the other hand...
Both are damn near wretched, in my opinion
I'm choosing to believe this usage of wretched is like when people used "that's so bad" to mean "good".
I’d like to think that too. Man, three years already...
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2180
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:40 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Moonbeam » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:48 am

Mylène Farmer deserves to be a global megastar rather than a megastar in France alone. I'm doing my part. :mrgreen:

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Let's Get It On
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:58 am

The following are bands and artists from around the world and all genre who best known for their own songs that received great success in their native country:
America - A Perfect Circle, Akon, Al Jarreau, Ambrosia, Anna Nalick, Ashlee Simpson, Ashley Tisdale, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Atlantic Starr, Audioslave, Bad English, Benny Mardones, Blessid Union of Souls, Blue October, Boys Like Girls, Candlebox, Cheat Codes, Christina Perri, Cinderella, Colbie Caillat, Creed, Danger Danger, Dennis DeYoung, David Gates, Debbie Gibson, Deep Blue Something, Dicky Doo & The Don'ts, Dokken, Dream Theater, Dobie Gray, Don Felder, Echosmith, Enuff Z'Nuff, Eve 6, Exile, Face to Face, FireHouse, Five For Fighting, Gabby Barrett, Giant, Giuffria, Great White, Hailee Steinfeld, Hardline, Harry Chapin, Hilary Duff, Hinder, Hoobastank, Hootie & The Blowfish, Howie Day, I Prevail, Jessica Simpson, Jewel, Jimmy Bowen, Jimmy Harnen, Joy Williams, Julia Michaels, Keke Wyatt, Kelly Clarkson, Kelsea Ballerini, Kix, Lauren Daigle, Leigh Nash, Lindsay Lohan, Lita Ford, Mandy Moore, Michael W. Smith, Michelle Branch, Minnie Riperton, Natalie Cole, New Kids on the Block, Old Dominion, Olivia Rodrigo, OneRepublic, Orleans, Pablo Cruise, Pacific Gas & Electric, Pages, Peter Cetera, Plain White T's, Puddle of Mudd, Rachel Platten, Richard Marx, Robert & Johnny, Rosie and the Originals, Ryan Cabrera, Saigon Kick, Saving Abel, Seven Mary Three, Shep and the Limelites, Sister Hazel, Steelheart, Stefy, Steve Lawrence, Stevie B, Stryper, Switchfoot, Taylor Dayne, Taylor Hicks, The Babys, The Beau Brummels, The Capris, The Manhattans, The Marshall Tucker Band, The Neighbourhood, The White Tie Affair, Third Eye Blind, Three Dog Night, Tonic, Tommy Page, Toni Braxton, Train, Vertical Horizon, Vixen, Warrant, White Lion, Winger
Australia - Air Supply, Icehouse, Jimmy Barnes, Little River Band, Merril Bainbridge, Pseudo Echo, Silverchair, The Veronicas, Tina Arena, Tones and I
Belgium - Dan Byrd
Brazil - Morris Albert
Canada - Aldo Nova, Bruce Cockburn, Chilliwack, Dan Hill, Default, Fefe Dobson, Harem Scarem, Klaatu, Saga, Simple Plan
Denmark - Saybia
France - Century, Edith Piaf, Gong, IAM, NTM, Noir Désir, Santa Esmeralda, Trust
Germany - Axel Rudi Pell, Helloween
Hungary - Omega
Indonesia - Ahmad Abdul, AKA, Bunga Citra Lestari, Citra Scholastika, Endah N Rhesa, Iqbaal Ramadhan, Isyana Sarasvati, Marion Jola, Mocca, Pamungkas, Rossa, Sheryl Sheinafia, Sore, Stephanie Poetri, Ten 2 Five, The Rollies
Ireland - Kodaline
Italy - Baltimora
Japan - Kyu Sakamoto, Loudness, X Japan
Korea - Blackpink, BTS
Latvia - Brainstorm
New Zealand - Bic Runga, Dragon, Split Enz
Russia - Gorky Park
The Netherlands - Arjan Brass, Danny Vera, Do, Hannah Mae
UK - After the Fire, Barclay James Harvest, Chris Rea, James Arthur, Niall Horan, S Club 7, Spacehog, Whitesnake

Some of them are did not have their AM pages. So, this list featuring bands and artists who best known for their own songs in their native country.

Edit: added Brainstorm, Omega, Pages, Robert & Johnny, Saybia, The Rollies, and more French acts like Century, Edith Piaf, Trust, and other acts, removed some acts that very known around the world as AM users know it.
Last edited by Wisnu Tirta Aji on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time.

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3056
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Rob » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 pm

What do you base this on, Wisjnu? There are indeed many unfamiliar acts there, but also some that are very well-known everywhere, or at least as far as I can judge. Whitesnake, Dua Lipa, James Blunt, Leo Sayer, Psy, The Corrs, Alphaville, Gary Moore, Sepultura, Natalie Imbriglia, Shania Twain, Pink, Selena Gomez, Limp Bizkit, John Mayer and current monoliths Billie Eilish and Lizzo have all been HUGE outside of their own country. And I'm overlooking some, I'm sure.

User avatar
PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2053
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by PlasticRam » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Just about every Finnish artist is not getting wider attention. Maybe Darude is the best known, cos of Sandstorm.
I feel like that

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Let's Get It On
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:26 am

Rob wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 pm
What do you base this on, Wisjnu?
Bands and artists that best known for their own songs in their native country.
Rob wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 pm
There are indeed many unfamiliar acts there, but also some that are very well-known everywhere, or at least as far as I can judge. Whitesnake, Dua Lipa, James Blunt, Leo Sayer, Psy, The Corrs, Alphaville, Gary Moore, Sepultura, Natalie Imbriglia, Shania Twain, Pink, Selena Gomez, Limp Bizkit, John Mayer and current monoliths Billie Eilish and Lizzo have all been HUGE outside of their own country. And I'm overlooking some, I'm sure.
Yes, because they are very known outside their country. However, what if Robert & Johnny from America, Pages also from America, and The Rollies from Indonesia?

Robert & Johnny is more known for their song, "We Belong Together" (not to be confused with the Mariah Carey song of the same name because she was very known outside her country). "We Belong Together" later more known again when it covered by Ritchie Valens.

Pages is more known as the first side project of Mr. Mister.

The Rollies is more known because their music reminds Indonesian listeners of Blood, Sweat & Tears. First known because their music inspired by The Rolling Stones, The Rollies began their Jazz Rock project when other Jazz Rock bands like Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago, The Ides of March, and other bands, are popular in the end of the 1960s and the beginning of the 1970s, especially for Chicago where it named as a "Rock and Roll band with horns".
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:57 am

Wisnju, I’m a little confused. First you said it was a list of artists mostly known just in America, then you said you listed them because they’ve had international appeal? Certainly I have a hard time buying that Billie Eilish isn’t a worldwide phenomenon at the moment.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:59 am

Also, 5 Seconds of Summer and Lewis Capaldi are absolutely huge outside of their native countries. I shouldn’t have to say Harry Styles is as well, given he was a member of a hugely successful boy band.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3056
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Rob » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:24 pm

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:26 am
Rob wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 pm
What do you base this on, Wisjnu?
Bands and artists that best known for their own songs in their native country.
Yes, I get that. That is the topic title. But why did you list names that are indeed very popular abroad? What do you use as the basis for your list?

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Let's Get It On
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:06 am

Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:24 pm
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:26 am
Rob wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 pm
What do you base this on, Wisjnu?
Bands and artists that best known for their own songs in their native country.
Yes, I get that. That is the topic title. But why did you list names that are indeed very popular abroad? What do you use as the basis for your list?
To know that they're all best known in their country but they never received the same success internationally.

In the 1980s and the 1990s, for example, Face to Face is only best known nationally for their song, "10-9-8", but never received the same success outside their country.

Giant is only best known for their songs, the power ballad "I'll see you in my dreams" and the up-beat song "I'm a believer", all songs reaching the Top 80 of Billboard's Hot 100 with the former is cited by listeners as a one-hit wonder song.

Steelheart is only best known for their power ballads, "I'll never let you go" and "She's gone", all songs also reaching the Top 80 of Billboard's Hot 100.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time.

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Let's Get It On
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:24 am

StevieFan13 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:57 am
Wisnju, I’m a little confused. First you said it was a list of artists mostly known just in America, then you said you listed them because they’ve had international appeal? Certainly I have a hard time buying that Billie Eilish isn’t a worldwide phenomenon at the moment.
I'm listed some of them because they are only best known in their country. The most well known case are Giuffria, Jimmy Harnen, and Dan Byrd.

Giuffria is only best known for their song, "Call to the heart". Jimmy Harnen (even his band, Synch) is only best known for his power ballad, "Where are you now". Dan Byrd is only received more attention because of his power ballad, "Boulevard". His other song, "Stay", received a little attention.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:39 am

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:24 am
StevieFan13 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:57 am
Wisnju, I’m a little confused. First you said it was a list of artists mostly known just in America, then you said you listed them because they’ve had international appeal? Certainly I have a hard time buying that Billie Eilish isn’t a worldwide phenomenon at the moment.
I'm listed some of them because they are only best known in their country. The most well known case are Giuffria, Jimmy Harnen, and Dan Byrd.

Giuffria is only best known for their song, "Call to the heart". Jimmy Harnen (even his band, Synch) is only best known for his power ballad, "Where are you now". Dan Byrd is only received more attention because of his power ballad, "Boulevard". His other song, "Stay", received a little attention.
But you’re kind of brushing over the fact that you also listed Billie Eilish and Harry Styles.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

User avatar
luvulongTIM
Different Class
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by luvulongTIM » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:54 pm

Los Angeles had a punk band called Face to Face. In fact the lead singer recorded to most arrogant, self centered tag, I guess is what they call it, for KROQ about how important they are to the LA punk revival scene and how they started all and no one would be there without them. I’m like “ok, literally one letter to put you in your place......X.....but whatever!” Also we had the Pandora’s who were a more garagy girl band throwback version to their contemporaries The GoGos and the Bangles and of course the ones that started it all Fanny and the Runaways. Big influence on the Gore Gore Girls who are considered the godmothers of the early 00s garage rival scene even before the White Stripes. Sad ending with their lead singer Paula Pierce dying of an aneurysm at 31 after trying to keep the rights to the name of the band. Than last year another important player, Kim Shattuck passed away who was also the lead singer of the girl group the Muffs. I was gonna play a mean joke cause she temporarily replaced Kim Deal as the bass player to the Pixies and put down as a topic: “Former Bass Player Kim From the Pixies Has Passed Away!” But that would have been in such poor taste and at the expense of this talented artist.
Last edited by luvulongTIM on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Romain
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 4313
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Romain » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 pm

Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:58 am

France - Santa Esmeralda
What the hell is that thing?
Noir Désir, Trust, Gong, NTM, IAM ?????

Wouldn't it be more like: "List of groups from foreign countries that are a little known in the US, not too much, but still a little, but not too much, but a little, but not too much"?

Because the real answer is actually very simple.
With a few exceptions, all the bands in the world that don't sing in English are better known in their own country. That's true for singers too, isn't it!

User avatar
Safetycat
Different Class
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Safetycat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:19 am

Romain wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 pm
With a few exceptions, all the bands in the world that don't sing in English are better known in their own country. That's true for singers too, isn't it!
And to add onto that, most bands from the UK and the USA are always going to be more popular in their home countries than overseas because those're the biggest markets.

Unless they get big in Japan, of course.

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Let's Get It On
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:03 pm

StevieFan13 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:39 am
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:24 am
StevieFan13 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:57 am
Wisnju, I’m a little confused. First you said it was a list of artists mostly known just in America, then you said you listed them because they’ve had international appeal? Certainly I have a hard time buying that Billie Eilish isn’t a worldwide phenomenon at the moment.
I'm listed some of them because they are only best known in their country. The most well known case are Giuffria, Jimmy Harnen, and Dan Byrd.

Giuffria is only best known for their song, "Call to the heart". Jimmy Harnen (even his band, Synch) is only best known for his power ballad, "Where are you now". Dan Byrd is only received more attention because of his power ballad, "Boulevard". His other song, "Stay", received a little attention.
But you’re kind of brushing over the fact that you also listed Billie Eilish and Harry Styles.
I'm sorry. See above. I'm removing Billie Eilish and Harry Styles because now they are very known around the world.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time.

Wisnu Tirta Aji
Let's Get It On
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Wisnu Tirta Aji » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Romain wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 pm
Wisnu Tirta Aji wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:58 am

France - Santa Esmeralda
What the hell is that thing?
Noir Désir, Trust, Gong, NTM, IAM ?????

Wouldn't it be more like: "List of groups from foreign countries that are a little known in the US, not too much, but still a little, but not too much, but a little, but not too much"?

Because the real answer is actually very simple.
With a few exceptions, all the bands in the world that don't sing in English are better known in their own country. That's true for singers too, isn't it!
Now Santa Esmeralda is not alone because your question is answered completely! For French singers, I only know Charles Aznavour and Edith Piaf.
Director of Top Hits and also founder of Top 500 Radio Hits of All Time.

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 5339
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Henrik » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:27 pm

It would be interesting with a topic about artists/bands we like, who sing in English although it’s their second language but are still a lot more well known in their own countries (with or without an obvious ambition to crossover).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

User avatar
Romain
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 4313
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by Romain » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:05 pm

Quickly, for France, I can think to:

- Cascadeur
- C2C
- Lily Wood & The Prick
- Little Bob Story
- Tiwayo
- Aaron
- Melody Echo Chamber
- Talisco
- Jeanne Added
- Marina Kaye
- The Dø
- Shaka Ponk
- Jain
- Cocoon
- Woodkid
- Gojira
- Pony Pony Run Run
- Hey Hey My My
- François & The Atlas Mountain
- Emilie Simon
- Camille
- Skip the use
- Syd MAtters
- Cats on Tree
- Gilbert Montagné
And a tonne of synthwaves bands from the 80's


I'm not sure if these artist are known outside France:
Cerrone
Patrick Hernandez
Ottawan


And for these one, I think they ar well known:
Phoenix
Daft Punk
M83
Charlotte Gainsbourg
Justice

User avatar
mileswide
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 5:08 pm
Location: Nottingham, England

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by mileswide » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:14 pm

Romain wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:05 pm
I'm not sure if these artist are known outside France:
Out of your 'maybe internationally successful' pile, all the disco hits plus Prayer in C are famous in the UK at least, even if not everyone knows who sung them and if they do, they'll consider them a one-hit-wonder (ok, two for Ottawan at a push with 'Hands Up' as well)
As sure as the sun will shine...

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 4519
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Bands that are most famous in their native countries (and whether or not they deserve wider attention)

Post by StevieFan13 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Prayer in C was a hit in the States a few years ago.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Post Reply