Songs/Albums that you did not like before, but now you like it!

Bruno
Shake Some Action

Songs/Albums that you did not like before, but now you like it!

Post by Bruno »

I particularly like the feeling of being able to enjoy a song or album that I did not like or cared about before.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Songs/Albums that you did not like before, but now you like it!

Post by StevieFan13 »

Bruno wrote:I particularly like the feeling of being able to enjoy a song or album that I did not like or cared about before.
I can definitely think of a bunch of examples that work the other way around, but I will say that the first example that comes to mind is "New Slang" by the Shins. I also don't know if I cared for LCD Soundsystem's "Losing My Edge" at first either. I like 'em both now. (I'll add that I like "Windowlicker" by Aphex Twin a tiny bit more than I used to, but I'm still not really an Aphex Twin fan).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

The most recent example I can think of is "Hotline Bling."
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Bruno wrote:I particularly like the feeling of being able to enjoy a song or album that I did not like or cared about before.
I can definitely think of a bunch of examples that work the other way around, but I will say that the first example that comes to mind is "New Slang" by the Shins.
Same for me!
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

The biggest album that I changed my mind on was probably Kid A, going from 3 stars to 4.5 over a few years. That's probably the most impressive swing (in terms of stars), but there have been plenty of other great albums I wasn't high on when I heard them originally, including:
  • Blue
  • Sound of Silver
  • Good Kid Maad City
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Probably because of my upbringing, I basically didn't like all music produced that wasn't roots rock/blues, 60s psychedelic rock or punk rock when I first tried it except for electronic music, which I liked instantly. But jazz, funk, hip-hop, post-punk, heavy metal and even grunge just did nothing for me for some time.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I decided to acquire these tastes under social pressure. I don't regret it the slightest bit, mind you, since many of these genres have become favourites of mine, even replacing to some extent the music styles I originally liked (although I've been rediscovering them a bit lately). But I sometimes wish it had been a natural process rather than a forced one. I feel like I'm missing something.

One album however that I just decided to listen to over and over again until I got it regardless of people's opinion was Trout Mask Replica. I mean, well, we all know it's unlistenable, right? So why are critics raving about it? I initially took note of the amounts of listens I gave it - it took me three spins to get to the end of the album without cutting it out of restlessness, about seven to manage to keep my attention up throughout and around twelve when I started to really enjoy it (I like its stupid humor, strange atmosphere, and the musical complexity is just fascinating). But I wish people who got it on the first time just tell me what connected with them instantly.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Pierre wrote:One album however that I just decided to listen to over and over again until I got it regardless of people's opinion was Trout Mask Replica. I initially took note of the amounts of listens I gave it - it took me three spins to get to the end of the album without cutting it out of restlessness, about seven to manage to keep my attention up throughout and around twelve when I started to really enjoy it (I like its stupid humor, strange atmosphere, and the musical complexity is just fascinating). But I wish people who got it on the first time just tell me what connected with them instantly.
I was pretty quick to enjoy it. I had already heard beforehand all the stories and this album's legendary status, so I was already prepared for whatever this album would throw at me, before I ever heard it. I'm not sure if I "got it" on the first listen, but it was probably by my second or third listen, where you notice that you as the listener are glued to the music. Like it's something that you can't take your ears away from. Like a car crash you can't help but look on with morbid fascination. And I just love how it breaks all the rules for what music should sound like. I find that aspect, similar to how I enjoy Death Grips, very enjoyable and entertaining. Me personally as a music fan, I am very drawn by pure primal passion, which is very obvious on this album. You can tell Beefheart and the Band will do anything to make kick-ass music.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Pierre wrote:One album however that I just decided to listen to over and over again until I got it regardless of people's opinion was Trout Mask Replica. I initially took note of the amounts of listens I gave it - it took me three spins to get to the end of the album without cutting it out of restlessness, about seven to manage to keep my attention up throughout and around twelve when I started to really enjoy it (I like its stupid humor, strange atmosphere, and the musical complexity is just fascinating). But I wish people who got it on the first time just tell me what connected with them instantly.
I was pretty quick to enjoy it. I had already heard beforehand all the stories and this album's legendary status, so I was already prepared for whatever this album would throw at me, before I ever heard it. I'm not sure if I "got it" on the first listen, but it was probably by my second or third listen, where you notice that you as the listener are glued to the music. Like it's something that you can't take your ears away from. Like a car crash you can't help but look on with morbid fascination. And I just love how it breaks all the rules for what music should sound like. I find that aspect, similar to how I enjoy Death Grips, very enjoyable and entertaining. Me personally as a music fan, I am very drawn by pure primal passion, which is very obvious on this album. You can tell Beefheart and the Band will do anything to make kick-ass music.
Thanks for your answer, it's interesting. I do share many of your impressions; it's just that they took longer to blossom for me :) Probably, when I first got around to listen to this album I was thoroughly unprepared (I hadn't listened to an enormous amount of music back then and didn't read as much as I do now) so that may explain the difference.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Animal Collective's Feels is now my 20th favorite album of all time or so, but I hated it the first time I heard it. Somehow, somewhen later (probably with the benefit of enjoying Strawberry Jam and MPP), I listened to "The Purple Bottle" separately and really fell in love with it so I gave the album another spin and also fell for Banshee Beat and Loch Raven. The rest followed after a few listens and I now have no doubt it's the best Animal Collective album and a masterpiece with nothing remotely comparable I have ever heard of.
Other albums I'd consider for my top 200 of all time that I disliked on first spin include :
Good kid, m.A.A.d city
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
The Woods
Spiderland

Among the albums I used to give a note of 1 star or less, XTRMNTR and The Low End Theory are some of the few that I have reevaluated favorably. (probably would give them 3,5 or 4 now... honestly have no idea how I can have disliked the Low End Theory at some point)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”