Do You Try to rate the albums as you listen to it?

Sunwoo1213
Are You Experienced?

Do You Try to rate the albums as you listen to it?

Post by Sunwoo1213 »

Sometimes I listen to a new album, it's feeling lasts weakly.

With some albums, I feel it's amazing or unlistenable. In these cases, it's ok.

But some albums are uncertain. I may feel just ok, or slightly unfavorable, and after some days those feelings get weaker and weaker.

So I thought Rating the albums as i listen could help me remember which album is great, or so-so, or bad.

Is it really helpful?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Re: Do You Try to rate the albums as you listen to it?

Post by prosecutorgodot »

What I do when listening to something new, is like after every 3 or 4 tracks, I check with myself to see how I'm enjoying it. Like maybe I would be thinking, "If it keeps at this quality, I'm going to love this album!" or "Not feeling it so far, hopefully it gets better."
And of course, to be absolutely sure of how you like the album, you have to always be paying attention to it while listening (and pay attention to how it makes you feel and why it makes you feel that way), and if you do that, then you probably won't forget your feelings on the album.
Also, everyone has their own rubric for rating an album, so you have to see what you think makes a good album.
I'm not sure if that's what you're asking about, but hopefully that helps!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I usually know when an album is pretty weak or if I really don't like it. When it happens, I look around for other people's opinions and if I find a good rationale to give it a second chance, then I take note of it and I plan to come back to it later, when I have time to give it a closer listen. This doesn't mean that my opinion about it will necessarily improve, but I just want to be fair.

When I feel uncertain about albums, I take note of them too to come back to them later. It rarely results in my opinion worsening - generally it means the album will be a grower for me, but of course that's not a general rule.

That's to say, I'm not really a rating guy. Of course, I believe many AMers will disagree with me, but that's just my two cents :)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote: That's to say, I'm not really a rating guy. Of course, I believe many AMers will disagree with me, but that's just my two cents :)
I'm not much of a rater either (and certainly not as precise, to the decimal point, as some people here). I just listen to it and decide whether or not I like it afterward. If I'm going in having heard it's a good album (like I did recently hearing Everything Must Go for the poll), then at the end, I'll decide whether or not it lives up to the hype or not, but I mostly try to go in with an open mind and save the judgments for after I've heard most of the album/song.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I, for one, rate the albums I listen to immediately on RYM (9,430 ratings last I checked...). So it's a 1 to 10 scale. I mainly base my rating on "replay" value. Anything below 7/10 would not be replayed, unless it is heavily suggested, like on this site :)
Anything above 9 has instant appeal and will feature on my heavy rotation list.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I don't rate them on first listen but I decide whether I want to add them to my rotation for future listening.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Not at all, but you could maybe make very brief notes as you're going along.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The way I listen to songs, I have a program which ranks albums for me based on head to head matchups. Similar principal as AMF runs on. I listen to a bunch of albums, rank them based on how much I enjoyed them on that listen, and the program does math to produce a ranking.

I have two domains. One for all time albums, and one for albums in the past year. I listen to albums, and if it's from this year I add it to the 'this year' domain if I think there's any chance it will grow on me. For the 'all time' domain the bar is higher and I have to already love it. There's like 700 albums on that list now, and maybe 20 albums from the year domain get added to the all time domain per year.

The first time I listen to an album, it's all about whether it's good enough to be added to the list. On the out of 100 ranking, standards are about 78/100 for the year domain and 87/100 for the all time domain. Then I organize tournaments to figure out my favorite albums because I'm a dork.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”