Somebody explain Kid A to me.

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Somebody explain Kid A to me.

Post by StevieFan13 »

I want to like Kid A. I currently don't particularly like it. I nominated it in the 2000 poll kind of out of obligation, but I can't get into it and I want to.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: Somebody explain Kid A to me.

Post by Pierre »

The first and pretty much most important thing you need to take into account is that contrary to The Bends and OK Computer, Kid A is NOT a rock album and isn't meant to be enjoyed as such. It's an electronic/ambient album with glitch music influences that they probably made after listening to an excessive amount of Aphex Twin, Plastikman and Oval. It needs to be evaluated as an electronic music album, and it is a great album in this genre. But if you're unaccustomed to this kind of music, I understand that you could be lost.

To someone who is more into rock music in the first place, you may want to try the 2001 live album I Might Be Wrong first. The songs from Kid A and Amnesiac have a more muscular sound on it and are probably more palatable there.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:The first and pretty much most important thing you need to take into account is that contrary to The Bends and OK Computer, Kid A is NOT a rock album and isn't meant to be enjoyed as such. It's an electronic/ambient album with glitch music influences that they probably made after listening to an excessive amount of Aphex Twin, Plastikman and Oval. It needs to be evaluated as an electronic music album, and it is a great album in this genre. But if you're unaccustomed to this kind of music, I understand that you could be lost.

To someone who is more into rock music in the first place, you may want to try the 2001 live album I Might Be Wrong first. The songs from Kid A and Amnesiac have a more muscular sound on it and are probably more palatable there.
Alright, I'll give that a listen. I'm not much for ambient music, so that could be the root cause of the problem.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

On the other hand, am I a normie for just liking The Bends and OK Computer for being innovative while also being catchy?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I wasn't a huge Kid A fan the first few times I listened to it, partly because of the electronic-ness of it. Over time I got over that though. It might be my favorite Radiohead album depending on my current mood (the big 3 are always taking that title away from each other).
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

StevieFan13 wrote:I want to like Kid A. I currently don't particularly like it. I nominated it in the 2000 poll kind of out of obligation, but I can't get into it and I want to.
:o
You nominate an album you don't really like on a top 15? (on the 12th place)...but...but...why? The results are distorted if people give the most known albums and songs just to fill up their lists.

A top 15 is not mandatory... you just need to have at least 5 albums or songs if you want ;)

And for KidA... I don't know... All is here :D :

https://vimeo.com/157296965
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Romain wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I want to like Kid A. I currently don't particularly like it. I nominated it in the 2000 poll kind of out of obligation, but I can't get into it and I want to.
:o
You nominate an album you don't really like on a top 15? (on the 12th place)...but...but...why? The results are distorted if people give the most known albums and songs just to fill up their lists.

A top 15 is not mandatory... you just need to have at least 5 albums or songs if you want ;)

And for KidA... I don't know... All is here :D :

https://vimeo.com/157296965
Fair point. I just don't know much about 2000 in terms of albums (I was 1 at the time, so I did some research). I'll put in something more in line with my musical tastes.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

I liked the Johnny Cash stuff more, so it's there in place of Kid A. But Kid A is probably gonna win anyway.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

And, just to be sure ! You know it's not a moral obligation to like an artist or an album, even if it's the most beloved artist on earth ;)
Some here don't like The Beatles, some don't like Prince, another one don't like Dylan :whistle: ... your taste is your taste !

You can just rank albums you really likes, even if you hae only 5, 6 or 11 albums this year.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote: Some here don't like The Beatles, some don't like Prince, another one don't like Dylan :whistle: ... your taste is your taste !
And someone else isn't actually a Radiohead fan :D Pretty difficult to live around these parts.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Romain wrote:And, just to be sure ! You know it's not a moral obligation to like an artist or an album, even if it's the most beloved artist on earth ;)
Some here don't like The Beatles, some don't like Prince, another one don't like Dylan :whistle: ... your taste is your taste !

You can just rank albums you really likes, even if you hae only 5, 6 or 11 albums this year.
Yeah, I hear you. This place is pretty judgment-free, but I worry that because I'm younger and am still developing my musical tastes, some people might get mad that I don't like, say, Eagles.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
Romain wrote: Some here don't like The Beatles, some don't like Prince, another one don't like Dylan :whistle: ... your taste is your taste !
And someone else isn't actually a Radiohead fan :D Pretty difficult to live around these parts.
Hey, I don't like Coldplay, and they're basically the poor man's Radiohead.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Short list of bands/artists I don't like that everyone else seems to: Coldplay, Eagles, KISS, Sonic Youth (or at the very least not what I've heard). I pretty much toe the line on the rest.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I have to check the english meaning for "poor man's XXX" "someone or something that is similar to a well-known person or thing but is not as good" to be sure!

It's really the first time I heard Coldplay have something on common with Radiohead... you killed me with this one :mrgreen:
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Romain wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I have to check the english meaning for "poor man's XXX" "someone or something that is similar to a well-known person or thing but is not as good" to be sure!

It's really the first time I heard Coldplay have something on common with Radiohead... you killed me with this one :mrgreen:
That's not the first time I hear it personnally, but the comparison has been dropped ever since X&Y. It was the most common dismissive argument from critics around the time of their first two albums.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Pierre wrote: It was the most common dismissive argument from critics around the time of their first two albums.
As it happens I really like the first two albums and since then they haven't been worth listening to - having turned into the poor man's U2. I never thought the first 2 albums sounded remotely like Radiohead.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

First they tried being "Bends"-era Radiohead, now they're trying to be "Joshua Tree"-era U2. Some of the big hits are OK ("Viva la Vida" is untouchable), but I mostly find them meh.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

DaveC wrote:
Pierre wrote: It was the most common dismissive argument from critics around the time of their first two albums.
As it happens I really like the first two albums and since then they haven't been worth listening to - having turned into the poor man's U2. I never thought the first 2 albums sounded remotely like Radiohead.
I still listen occasionally to A Rush of Blood to the Head. But each time I do now I feel like their early stuff sounds a lot like The Bends, just like StevieFan13 pointed out.

Fun fact: the very first song they ever recorded, an obscurity called "Ode to Deodorant", is both really stupid and quite entertaining to me each time I rediscover it. In a parallel universe, maybe they would have become a sort of Radiohead parody band.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I for one think the world needs more Radioheads; I'm fine with a knockoff if the material is still good. The greatest bands usually are influential, and I think Coldplay being like them is more a testament to Radiohead's immediate power than it is to Coldplay's supposed lack of originality. If The Bends is a top 100 level album, does it hurt to have a couple more albums in that style when the band that created it veered off into an entirely different direction? Originality is only so important; sometimes it's fine to just have a really strong album in a safe style.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

BleuPanda wrote:I for one think the world needs more Radioheads; I'm fine with a knockoff if the material is still good. The greatest bands usually are influential, and I think Coldplay being like them is more a testament to Radiohead's immediate power than it is to Coldplay's supposed lack of originality. If The Bends is a top 100 level album, does it hurt to have a couple more albums in that style when the band that created it veered off into an entirely different direction? Originality is only so important; sometimes it's fine to just have a really strong album in a safe style.
Fair enough, except it's one thing to take a kind of music and expand its scope to further lengths than even the originators intended (watch Billie Joe Armstrong's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech for the Stooges, where he lists off about 30 bands who directly took inspiration from them while all very clearly being their own bands), and another to basically just do the same thing that the originators did and not really change it all that much (like Coldplay, in my personal opinion). But yeah, I have no complaint about there being more Bends-type albums in the world...just as they aren't, y'know, damn near the same thing.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

BleuPanda wrote:I for one think the world needs more Radioheads; I'm fine with a knockoff if the material is still good. The greatest bands usually are influential, and I think Coldplay being like them is more a testament to Radiohead's immediate power than it is to Coldplay's supposed lack of originality. If The Bends is a top 100 level album, does it hurt to have a couple more albums in that style when the band that created it veered off into an entirely different direction? Originality is only so important; sometimes it's fine to just have a really strong album in a safe style.
Agreed 100%
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The biggest hump when getting into certain kinds of music is giving up expecting the kinds of hooks and outward projection of pre-interpreted emotion pop music gives you.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin wrote:The biggest hump when getting into certain kinds of music is giving up expecting the kinds of hooks and outward projection of pre-interpreted emotion pop music gives you.
I hear that. I always get excited by music that doesn't specifically dictate how you should feel (might be why the Smiths are my favorite band, though sometimes they very much let you know that you should be very, very sad).
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:Short list of bands/artists I don't like that everyone else seems to: Coldplay, Eagles, KISS, Sonic Youth (or at the very least not what I've heard). I pretty much toe the line on the rest.
The song, "Hotel California", is amazing.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Short list of bands/artists I don't like that everyone else seems to: Coldplay, Eagles, KISS, Sonic Youth (or at the very least not what I've heard). I pretty much toe the line on the rest.
I like "Take It Easy." Overplay has tainted "Hotel California" for me. Then again, overplay hasn't ruined "Stairway to Heaven" for me, so I dunno. Like it if you do.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:
babydoll wrote:
I like "Take It Easy." Overplay has tainted "Hotel California" for me. Then again, overplay hasn't ruined "Stairway to Heaven" for me, so I dunno. Like it if you do.
Oh, please. "Stairway to Heaven" is an awful song, even without the overplays.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote: Oh, please. "Stairway to Heaven" is an awful song, even without the overplays.
Whatever. To each their own. Wouldn't call it a favorite, but I don't loathe it.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:Hey, I don't like Coldplay, and they're basically the poor man's Radiohead.
No, no, no. Muse is the poor man's Radiohead. More precisely, Muse is what Radiohead might have become if they'd simply kept making The Bends over and over again.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Harold wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Hey, I don't like Coldplay, and they're basically the poor man's Radiohead.
No, no, no. Muse is the poor man's Radiohead. More precisely, Muse is what Radiohead might have become if they'd simply kept making The Bends over and over again.
Can't argue with this and I'm a fan of Muse. But then again The Bends is my #3 album of all time.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

DaveC wrote:
Harold wrote:
Can't argue with this and I'm a fan of Muse. But then again The Bends is my #3 album of all time.
Fair. I like "Knights of Cydonia."
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Harold wrote:
I wonder where Keane fit in all of this, since they've essentially made a career by ripping off Coldplay's "Clocks" again and again :D
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Harold wrote:
YESYESYES I agree with the Muse comment. Also, I would not say Coldplay is a poor man's Radiohead (by the way I think "poor man's XXX" means it's watered down, and everything is the same, but worse.). I would rather say Coldplay is the pop version of Radiohead (which you hear a lot); i.e. more accessible.
Other such "pop" comparisons are Pet Shop Boys ----- Kraftwerk
Green Day ----- The Clash
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

4 Non Blondes---The Breeders
The Struts, Mika---Queen (The Struts are very good, though)
Demi Lovato---Kelly Clarkson
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Other such "pop" comparisons are Pet Shop Boys ----- Kraftwerk
A bit of a stretch, but I see where you're going with that. (I like "West End Girls" more than "Autobahn." Sorry not sorry.)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

StevieFan13 wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote: Other such "pop" comparisons are Pet Shop Boys ----- Kraftwerk
A bit of a stretch, but I see where you're going with that. (I like "West End Girls" more than "Autobahn." Sorry not sorry.)
You're misunderstanding me. See, I don't think pop versions are worse. (In fact, I often think they're better.) I never said I was against pop versions. And moreover, I have no problem with you enjoying what you like! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
You're misunderstanding me. See, I don't think pop versions are worse. (In fact, I often think they're better.) I never said I was against pop versions. And moreover, I have no problem with you enjoying what you like! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Nah, nah I hear ya loud and clear! I got you the first time! I agree completely. Cheers!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”