Shake Some Action

Re: When will the 2017 update come?

Post by bootsy »

Thanks for the update Henrik.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

I'm in the toilet and trying to take a shit. This is how I feel about the update coming (or should I say dropping lol)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

mowino wrote:I'm in the toilet and trying to take a shit. This is how I feel about the update coming (or should I say dropping lol)
...lovely.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

mowino wrote:I'm in the toilet and trying to take a shit. This is how I feel about the update coming (or should I say dropping lol)
To paraphrase a scene from Barton Fink: You know, mowino, ordinarily we say anything you post in this forum could be helpful. But I'll be frank with you, mowino - that was not helpful. :mrgreen:
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Apologies if this has already been discussed previously and obviously it is Henrik's site and he is the one putting most of the work in so he can do as he pleases, but are there many people on here that are clamoring or really in need of a 10,000 song/album database? Personally I'm quite satisfied and consider 1000 albums and 5000 songs to be more than sufficient but curious about other peoples take on this. I actually feel having all the extra pages will make it more difficult to navigate artist listings when I am wanting to refer to a specific artist's entries but again this is only me.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

notdarkyet wrote:Apologies if this has already been discussed previously and obviously it is Henrik's site and he is the one putting most of the work in so he can do as he pleases, but are there many people on here that are clamoring or really in need of a 10,000 song/album database? Personally I'm quite satisfied and consider 1000 albums and 5000 songs to be more than sufficient but curious about other peoples take on this. I actually feel having all the extra pages will make it more difficult to navigate artist listings when I am wanting to refer to a specific artist's entries but again this is only me.
The more, the better, as far as I'm concerned - as long as the data is statistically significant. Plenty of my favorite artists barely have anything on AM right now, so it will be great to have a more comprehensive list of ranked songs and albums for more artists.

I can see how artists could get lost with so many entries, but 'Command F' is usually a good way around that problem.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Will the following list be eligible for consideration in the update following the 2017 update?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... =070417_10
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henry wrote:Will the following list be eligible for consideration in the update following the 2017 update?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... =070417_10
It's already on the site.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

Any update on the update? 8-) :mrgreen:

Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:the best case scenario is the update will happen during summer. If so, it will be during August at the earliest.
It's getting closer, but there's still a lot of work to be done. I'll change my statement to August 31st at the earliest.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
DadHasADD
Only Sixteen

Post by DadHasADD »

Thank you for all the hard work you are doing. This site is amazing and I love it.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:
Henrik wrote:the best case scenario is the update will happen during summer. If so, it will be during August at the earliest.
It's getting closer, but there's still a lot of work to be done. I'll change my statement to August 31st at the earliest.
I sent you a DM
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

Thank you for responding Henrik, and thank you for your great work.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

kargetina wrote:Thank you for responding Henrik, and thank you for your great work.
Ditto!
Viguen
I'm New Here

Post by Viguen »

Thank you, Henrik! Very excited. :music-listening:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:
Most likely the update is farther away, I'm afraid. There's a lot going on in my life. I'll let you know when I have a new estimate.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:
Henrik wrote:
Most likely the update is farther away, I'm afraid. There's a lot going on in my life. I'll let you know when I have a new estimate.
That's sad, but I respect that. What it takes more time? Maybe between all us we can finish the update. No more new lists and other stuff.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Nearly all my mates use this website to discover new music, you have really outdone yourself Henrik. I wish you a speedy recovery bro.
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

In my opinion, there are way too many albums and songs in the rankings, making the update much more difficult than it needs to be.

Being the #2865 most acclaimed album doesn't really matter much when it's based on two random list mentions. Same thing with the songs. A lot of songs literally have 1 list mention and some Top 50 best of the year rankings.

Instead of condensing the lists, they just keep growing and growing, making them more of an encyclopedia of 20-th and 21-th century music rather than being a succinct ranking of the most acclaimed.

Having a Top 1000 albums and Top 1000(2000?) Songs should be enough. Again, this is about ranking the most acclaimed music and having 10000 songs, kind of defeats the purpose.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

kargetina wrote:In my opinion, there are way too many albums and songs in the rankings, making the update much more difficult than it needs to be.

Being the #2865 most acclaimed album doesn't really matter much when it's based on two random list mentions. Same thing with the songs. A lot of songs literally have 1 list mention and some Top 50 best of the year rankings.

Instead of condensing the lists, they just keep growing and growing, making them more of an encyclopedia of 20-th and 21-th century music rather than being a succinct ranking of the most acclaimed.

Having a Top 1000 albums and Top 1000(2000?) Songs should be enough. Again, this is about ranking the most acclaimed music and having 10000 songs, kind of defeats the purpose.
Actually, if you're looking exactly for the cream of critical acclaim, it's obvious a top 500 -or maybe top 1000- is enough, both for albums and songs. But if you're looking for what is actually the best music of all time and the hidden gems that are acclaimed less often for a variety of reasons which don't necessarily include having lesser quality music, that's another story. Many people who come here, and the webmaster himself, are passionate people wishing to explore a lot of music, even if that includes that awesome N°25## something album you would probably have never listened to when it randomly came under your spotlight for some reason (example: in the N°25## fork, Neu! 2, Bert Jansch, The Age of Consent, Hex, Pontiac or The Parable of Arable Land are all awesome).

The main issue is actually less the amount of music featured on the website than it's non-database-based structure, which is indeed very impractical for updating with such an amount.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Pierre wrote:
kargetina wrote:In my opinion, there are way too many albums and songs in the rankings, making the update much more difficult than it needs to be.

Actually, if you're looking exactly for the cream of critical acclaim, it's obvious a top 500 -or maybe top 1000- is enough, both for albums and songs. But if you're looking for what is actually the best music of all time and the hidden gems that are acclaimed less often for a variety of reasons which don't necessarily include having lesser quality music, that's another story. Many people who come here, and the webmaster himself, are passionate people wishing to explore a lot of music, even if that includes that awesome N°25## something album you would probably have never listened to when it randomly came under your spotlight for some reason (example: in the N°25## fork, Neu! 2, Bert Jansch, The Age of Consent, Hex, Pontiac or The Parable of Arable Land are all awesome).

The main issue is actually less the amount of music featured on the website than it's non-database-based structure, which is indeed very impractical for updating with such an amount.
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... 692#p60505
Tortuga
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Tortuga »

When the update does come out, can you also put it into Excel format, like with the unofficial 2016 update? That makes manipulating the data much easier.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Tortuga wrote:When the update does come out, can you also put it into Excel format, like with the unofficial 2016 update? That makes manipulating the data much easier.

Manipulation? You mean for use of third parts, I think
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Tortuga wrote:When the update does come out, can you also put it into Excel format, like with the unofficial 2016 update? That makes manipulating the data much easier.
There are excel sheets of the official lists on the home page...
Gottokeepsearching
Debut

Post by Gottokeepsearching »

Just got an account. You can guess who my favourite artist is by my username. I discovered AM earlier this year and look for the update every day. Wonderful concept.
After the Savage and Hepwoth books, I'd be interested to see a "most acclaimed years" list. To start the debate going, mine is 1966. 1972, 1977 and 1979 compete for the runners-up spot.
Thanks for your labours of love, Henrik.
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

Next year I guess.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

filmman wrote:Next year I guess.
Ouch!
DadHasADD
Only Sixteen

Post by DadHasADD »

I'm grateful for whenever it comes. In the meantime, I've been using the yearly and Megacritic lists to keep up with newer music. Great site!
Last edited by DadHasADD on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew Aroyal
Debut

Post by Drew Aroyal »

Henrik, whenever the update comes, will the Spotify playlists be updated at that time too, or will that happen much later?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Drew Aroyal wrote:Henrik, whenever the update comes, will the Spotify playlists be updated at that time too, or will that happen much later?
Yes, they will.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:
Drew Aroyal wrote:Henrik, whenever the update comes, will the Spotify playlists be updated at that time too, or will that happen much later?
Yes, they will.
No, whenever, before 2018! :)
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

Now we're into September, are there any further details about when the update is coming?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jap123 wrote:Now we're into September, are there any further details about when the update is coming?
I'm not ready to give a new estimate yet, but hopefully fairly soon.
Ravneprinsen
I'm New Here

Post by Ravneprinsen »

I discovered AM around easter last year, and figured the best way would be to start at the bottom of the albums list and work my way to the top. Currently listening to #642, so for my sake there is no pressure to update soon, I hope to finish before the update :)

AM has been a tremendous aid in discovering new music and broadening the palette. At #2998 was the first jazz album I ever hear (Side by Side by Hodges/Ellington), and I instantly fell in love with jazz, my favourite genre the last year.

Thanks a lot for this Henrik!
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Hopefully fairly soon for new estimate or for the actual update?
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Ravneprinsen wrote:I discovered AM around easter last year, and figured the best way would be to start at the bottom of the albums list and work my way to the top. Currently listening to #642, so for my sake there is no pressure to update soon, I hope to finish before the update :)

AM has been a tremendous aid in discovering new music and broadening the palette. At #2998 was the first jazz album I ever hear (Side by Side by Hodges/Ellington), and I instantly fell in love with jazz, my favourite genre the last year.

Thanks a lot for this Henrik!
Awesome! :P I myself spent the past two years listening to songs in the top 1000, albums in the top 100, and all AM 2010s songs that I hadn't heard before.
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

Henrik, may i ask about the positions of Pearl Jam 10/Metallica-Black/Master of Puppets in the new update?

I really can't wait for the update but i'm mostly concerned about my favorite genres (Jazz, Metal, Punk and Grunge) so i would really appreciate those 3 while waiting for the full release of the update.

Thanks!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

kargetina wrote:Henrik, may i ask about the positions of Pearl Jam 10/Metallica-Black/Master of Puppets in the new update?

I really can't wait for the update but i'm mostly concerned about my favorite genres (Jazz, Metal, Punk and Grunge) so i would really appreciate those 3 while waiting for the full release of the update.

Thanks!
A lot of people can't wait :)
habsfan3329
Superunknown

Post by habsfan3329 »

is there a list that has Beethoven and classical music with all other genres ranked?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

habsfan3329 wrote:is there a list that has Beethoven and classical music with all other genres ranked?
RateYourMusic includes classical albums on its overall list (of course, users on the site are rating the recordings, not the specific compositions themselves).
habsfan3329
Superunknown

Post by habsfan3329 »

songs? not albums. I would like
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

habsfan3329 wrote:songs? not albums. I would like
That's less likely, since the site(s) only count recorded music, so unless there's a prominent recording of, say, Thus Spake Zarathustra, it won't show up, no matter how famous it is.
habsfan3329
Superunknown

Post by habsfan3329 »

ty. I would love and think Moonlight sonata would be in this top 10 maybe ahead of like a rolling stone
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

habsfan3329 wrote:ty. I would love and think Moonlight sonata would be in this top 10 maybe ahead of like a rolling stone
It's an objectively great song, but without a notable version it has no chance. Only a modern composer like Philip Glass who records his own compositions has a chance.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

kargetina wrote:Henrik, may i ask about the positions of Pearl Jam 10/Metallica-Black/Master of Puppets in the new update?

Thanks!
The update will basically be about songs. If an update of the albums list is what you're waiting for, then I'm afraid I haven't got that much news for you. The only lists I have added since the unofficial update are the EOY 2016 lists and Pitchfork's '60s list. However, I have changed the algorithm a bit, so there are still some changes. Here are preliminary positions for the 3 albums you asked for:

Pearl Jam - 10: 132
Metallica - Metallica: 213
Metallica - Master of Puppets: 172
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henrik wrote:The only lists I have added since the unofficial update are the EOY 2016 lists and Pitchfork's '60s list.
I was wondering whether you had time to add the Pitchfork list - thanks for confirming. Great news!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
Henrik wrote:The only lists I have added since the unofficial update are the EOY 2016 lists and Pitchfork's '60s list.
I was wondering whether you had time to add the Pitchfork list - thanks for confirming. Great news!
Has that been added to the lists spreadsheet?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Harold wrote:
Has that been added to the lists spreadsheet?
No, Henrik took care of it on his end. He has his own "spreadsheet" ;)
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

Henrik wrote:

Thanks!
The update will basically be about songs. If an update of the albums list is what you're waiting for, then I'm afraid I haven't got that much news for you. The only lists I have added since the unofficial update are the EOY 2016 lists and Pitchfork's '60s list. However, I have changed the algorithm a bit, so there are still some changes. Here are preliminary positions for the 3 albums you asked for:

Pearl Jam's 10 all time best ranking was 136, so number 132 makes it a new high! Probably my favorite album so that makes me very satisfied. :music-guitarred: :music-rockon:

Too bad for Metallica's drops though.

Thanks a lot!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:

Thanks!

A clue that the update is coming soon? :)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”