AM Foreign World Cup: Round 1 - Southern America (Part 2)

Stephan
Site Admin

AM Foreign World Cup: Round 1 - Southern America (Part 2)

Post by Stephan »

Bracket 2.4.5
Los Esplendidos - Muchacha Provinciana
Astor Piazzolla - Oblivion

Bracket 2.4.6
Violeta Parra - Gracias a la Vida
Beto Vázquez Infinity - A Tout Le Monde

Bracket 2.4.7
Gustavo Santaolalla - De ushuaia a la quiaca
Andrés Calamaro - No son horas

Bracket 2.4.8
Yma Sumac - Xtabay (Lure of the Unknown Love) - RapidShare
Carlos Gardel - Mi Buenos Aires querido
Honorio
Higher Ground

Re: AM Foreign World Cup: Round 1 - Southern America (Part 2

Post by Honorio »

The Spotify playlist with 6 more songs, including the Yma Sumac one.

Bracket 2.4.5
Los Espléndidos - Muchacha provinciana (Peru, 1970?)
Ástor Piazzolla - Oblivion (Argentina, 1984)
Charlie Driggs selected an splendid sample of the sound of Chicha, a Peruvian style that incorporates "the distinctive pentatonic scales of Andean melodies, Cuban percussion, and the psychedelic sounds of surf guitars" (as accurately is described in Wikipedia). But we NEED a song from Ástor Piazzolla on the next round, and "Oblivion" is a superb choice.

Bracket 2.4.6
Violeta Parra - Gracias a la vida (Chile, 1966)
Beto Vázquez Infinity - À tout le monde (Argentina, 2005)
Easy choice. A song from the very last album of Violeta Parra (she committed suicide soon after because of a romantic disappointment when she was 50 years old, her lover was a boy half her age, a public scandal in Chilean during-the-sixties terms), "Gracias a la vida" ("Thanks to Life") was despite it one of the most optimistic songs ever, a chant to the joy of living. My brother and I played that song at the silver wedding anniversary of our parents (although our version was more uptempo, based on the Joan Baez 1974 cover). On the other hand, the other song proves again that metal (and now also hip-hop) is huge everywhere in the world. But that's not necesarily a good thing, isn't it?

Bracket 2.4.7
Gustavo Santaolalla - De Ushuaia a la Quiaca (Argentina, 1997)
Andrés Calamaro - No son horas (Argentina, 1999)
Henrik, excellent choice. The song by Gustavo Santaolalla is awesome (the whole 1997 album "Ronroco" is awesome, based on the sound of the charango). Gustavo Santaolalla is a talented producer, musician and composer that used some tracks from "Ronroco" for some of his soundtracks, "De Ushuaia a la Quiaca" appeared on "The Motorcycle Diaries" and Iguazú on "Babel".
But again I'm going to stick with my own choice. I commented about the song and translated the lyrics on the 1999 poll for the old acclaimed forum (you can see it here). I told then that it was a song "with a ¾ rhythm rooted in South-American folk and a melody with some debts to traditional Argentinean song "Alfonsina y el mar" (later also covered by Calamaro). Conveniently placed in the latter third of the album, it’s a song about the hope of recovery after the fall: "Don’t you feel sorry for me more than a second / cause I’m going to get up.". About the clip please, Stephan, could you replace it by this other one? The song is the same on the one you posted but it features images of Joaquín Sabina, a Spanish singer-songwriter not related with Calamaro.

Bracket 2.4.8
Yma Sumac - Xtabay (Lure of the Unknown Love) (Peru, 1950)
Carlos Gardel - Mi Buenos Aires querido (Argentina, 1934)
Best bracket of the week. Yma Sumac was definitely the discovery of the 1950s poll, her album "Voice of the Xtabay" even won the 1950 albums poll (being voted as their #1 by nj, Charlie Driggs, Mindrocker, sonofsamiam and Henrik, no less). They discovered us a singer with a more than astonishing voice, a bizarre look and a fascinating music world. I like it that much that I'm going to vote for it despite having on the other side one my beloved Carlos Gardel, the best tango singer and composer ever. But I would have voted for Gardel if the song selected would have been one of the melodramatic ones, like "Mano a mano", "Yira yira", "Arrabal amargo", "Sus ojos se cerraron", "Tomo y obligo" or "Volver". That's not saying "Mi Buenos Aires querido" is not good, in fact it's great!
Miguel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Miguel »

Ástor Piazzolla - Oblivion

Bracket 2.4.6

Bracket 2.4.7
Gustavo Santaolalla - De Ushuaia a la Quiaca

Bracket 2.4.8
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Déjà vu...

Bracket 2.4.5
Los Espléndidos - Muchacha Provinciana

An intriguing combination of instruments in the Los Espléndidos song, but I’m voting for “Oblivion,” my favourite Astor Piazzolla work. It’s an emotional and sentimental song that’s almost saccharine, but I have a soft spot for melodramatic music when it’s crafted this elegantly.

Bracket 2.4.6

Possibly the easiest choice of the game so far. A lovely Violeta Parra song vs. some seriously fugly metal.

Bracket 2.4.7

Not an easy choice at all this time. When I listened to the Andrés Calamaro song for the first time, I couldn’t help but notice that despite the mostly upbeat music, there was something in Calamaro’s voice that suggested a personal struggle – it sounded like it was almost difficult for him to sing the song. Then I clicked on Honorio’s link to his post in the old forum and read that the song was from a confessional album which Calamaro doesn’t listen to anymore because he finds it too painful. Honesty in music and lyrics is something I value, and “No son horas” is a wonderful discovery this week.

But the Gustavo Santaolalla song plucks all the right heartstrings for me. I think the instrument used in the song is a charango. Whatever it is, it’s beautiful, and the song has a very nice ambience.

Bracket 2.4.8
Yma Sumac - Xtabay (Lure of the Unknown Love)

Another difficult choice. I’m not familiar with Carlos Gardel’s music, but I look forward to exploring it further (I like oldies and I like tango, so how can I go wrong with a combination of the two?). But my vote goes to the unique oddity that is Yma Sumac’s “Xtabay”. Sumac had an amazing range and I can see why her offbeat songs reportedly became a phenomenon in some quarters in the 50s.
...will keep us together.
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Los Esplendidos - Muchacha Provinciana

Bracket 2.4.6

Bracket 2.4.7

Bracket 2.4.8
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I won't be able to post before tomorrow
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Easy choices for me this week.

Bracket 2.4.5
I didn't know this Piazzolla song before, but it would have been perfect on Tango: Zero Hour, which is among my all-time 50 albums. Wonderful. Thanks Dan.

Bracket 2.4.6

Bracket 2.4.7
My nomination. Defines beauty.

Bracket 2.4.8
This is my nomination as well if no one else nominated it before me. I loved the '50s poll and this was definitely one of my favorite discoveries.
"Mi Buenos Aires querido" just comes across as old. Not much tango rhythm to hold on to. Sorry.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Bracket 2.4.5
Los Esplendidos - Muchacha Provinciana 4
Astor Piazzolla - Oblivion 4
Two great songs. My vote goes to Astor P because I heard it last and because of his name, but The Esplendidos track is lively and rootsy (a good point with Nicolas)

Bracket 2.4.6
Violeta Parra - Gracias a la Vida 3.5
Beto Vázquez Infinity - A Tout Le Monde 2
Well. Did Hector was joking when he picked his songs? First, it's in English (except the chorus in Français), 2nd it's a f… Megadeth cover!!! (I like Megadeth but…), and it's kinda bland metal. That leaves the Violetta Parra song, a good song but I'm not a huge fan. I had never heard any Parra song, just some covers by Robert Wyatt. Maybe other songs will please me more. The words are beautiful though.

Bracket 2.4.7
Gustavo Santaolalla - De ushuaia a la quiaca 4
Andrés Calamaro - No son horas 4
Another tight match. I'll go with the singer. Sorry for that short comment, I have to go pick up my kids at school.

Bracket 2.4.8
Yma Sumac - Xtabay (Lure of the Unknown Love) 4.25
Carlos Gardel - Mi Buenos Aires querido 4
Mi Buenos Aires is not my favorite Gardel song, but it's beautiful and deliciously dated. Yma Sumac is also a discovery to me, and a big one. It's one of the weirdest pieces of music I've ever heard, and it's wonderful.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

My own votes.

Bracket 2.4.5

Bracket 2.4.6

Bracket 2.4.7

Bracket 2.4.8
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Pretty clear victories this week; the results:

Bracket 2.4.5
Los Esplendidos - Muchacha Provinciana - 1
Astor Piazzolla - Oblivion - 6

Bracket 2.4.6
Violeta Parra - Gracias a la Vida - 6
Beto Vázquez Infinity - A Tout Le Monde - 1

Bracket 2.4.7