Songs and Albums of 2000 Poll

Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: Songs and Albums of 2000 Poll

Post by Nassim »

DaveC wrote:Well Nassim, in the old system, 'Relationship of Command' would have been eliminated. With the wildcard system, it has a chance. I think a decent chance but only time will tell. I for one will not be voting for 'Viva La Vida'. Maybe we should start a not-recommended thread. :music-rockon:
I'll start a recommendation thread for 2002, but I don't have a big recommendation list for 2001 besides Things We Lost in the Fire, but I'm not even sure it needs a push. 2002 is a different story, lesser known gems like Thought for Food (hopefully moderately acclaimed will be in time for that one) or Finally We Are No One need a push.

I'm not too disappointed for Relationship of Command, post hardcore is not exactly the forum favorite genre so it's already nice to see it have decent showing on this and the other 2000 poll, it fared much better than other albums on genres "on the fringe".
I am much more disappointed by the results for The Moon and Antarctica, it's one of indie rock most important albums, and that's not a genre that completely flies under the radar around here ; it's also not overlooked by critics so it makes it even more surprising that it can't get much traction around here. And well, as much as I listen to many genres from many decades, indie from 95 to 2005 is still the major backbone of my musical culture.
Well, at least for once I have the critics on my side, they think it's the 6th best album of the year.

Not criticizing the method in any manner by the way, I think it's a great way to compensate for some years being stacked more than others, but I was genuinely wondering which "kind of" year would be more favorable for the wildcard.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Am I the only person who likes Eminem, but finds "Stan" to be absolutely terrible?
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:Am I the only person who likes Eminem, but finds "Stan" to be absolutely terrible?
Can't say I like it as much as Lose Yourself, but I like it a lot. Why don't you like it?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:
babydoll wrote:Am I the only person who likes Eminem, but finds "Stan" to be absolutely terrible?
Can't say I like it as much as Lose Yourself, but I like it a lot. Why don't you like it?
Dido rubs me the wrong way and it's just... I honestly find that Pet Shop Boys did the theme better with its parody of the song.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

I don't know about what I'd push or not, since I know some of the songs I'm gonna vote for probably have no chance (Gogol Bordello's Start Wearing Purple for 2005, Kate Nash's Foundations for 2006, Rooney's When Did Your Heart Go Missing for 2007, and Jocamo's What Would Barry White Do for 2009), but i will make a case for Weird Al's 2003/2006 output when those years come around.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

StevieFan13 wrote:Kate Nash's Foundations for 2006
That's 2007 ! Haven't made my preliminary list for that year yet, but it will very likely make my top 15.

In the same vein, and for 2006, Regina Spektor's Us is a lovely song.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:I don't know about what I'd push or not, since I know some of the songs I'm gonna vote for probably have no chance (Gogol Bordello's Start Wearing Purple for 2005, Kate Nash's Foundations for 2006, Rooney's When Did Your Heart Go Missing for 2007, and Jocamo's What Would Barry White Do for 2009), but i will make a case for Weird Al's 2003/2006 output when those years come around.
I voted for Britney's "Oops!... I Did It Again". I knew that song had absolutely no shot in hell. Just vote for your favorite songs.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Listyguy wrote:I'm pretty surprised that "The National Anthem" bested "Everything In Its Right Place" and "Idioteque" for the crown of "best song on Kid A", and by a pretty wide margin! I wonder if that will hold up in the final round.
I'm surprised too, but very happy about it. Kid A doesn't exactly have a shortage of great tracks, but that has always been my favorite by a wide margin, even if it is perhaps the least representative of the album, especially compared to Idioteque.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

StevieFan13 wrote:I don't know about what I'd push or not, since I know some of the songs I'm gonna vote for probably have no chance (Gogol Bordello's Start Wearing Purple for 2005, Kate Nash's Foundations for 2006, Rooney's When Did Your Heart Go Missing for 2007, and Jocamo's What Would Barry White Do for 2009), but i will make a case for Weird Al's 2003/2006 output when those years come around.
Not that this is a lone wolf benchmark around here, but it's gonna be fun when we reach 2005 and I nominate localized hip hop/R&B radio hits... Such is life. The way I always think of it is, Well I was asked for my favorites.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I have mixed feelings about Stan. I like the song but it's a touch too narcissistic.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

babydoll wrote:
I voted for Britney's "Oops!... I Did It Again". I knew that song had absolutely no shot in hell. Just vote for your favorite songs.
Good vote Babydoll!! I happen to agree although that song did not make my final cut. I love Stan, although, I am not a huge Eminem fan. I do believe he ranks higher than Dido but, I must admit, I love "Stoned". Adore it..for some reason it is one of those songs I could listen to forever.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I rarely jump in to defend an artist, but I love Dido's first album, and I don't feel "Thank You" (perhaps her most famous song and the one "Stan" samples) is indicative of her. (Imagine if The Cure was judged by "Friday I'm In Love" alone.) Some of my favorite artists I would never dare attempt to defend, but I've always been a little baffled that people dislike Dido so much, especially since she got her start in Trip-Hop, which is still a pretty popular genre. These influences are definitely felt in moody, bleak-sounding songs like "Honestly OK" (my favorite song of 1999), "Here With Me," and others.

Then again, I'm the one who liked nearly every song in the "ashamed to like this song" thread, so please take my opinion for what it's worth...
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Jirin wrote:I have mixed feelings about Stan. I like the song but it's a touch too narcissistic.
Agree with this, Stan is one of the most narcissistic acclaimed songs ever, and that makes it hard to love for me despite being an otherwise interesting song with a clever sample.

The coolest result of this poll was Deltron 3030 nearly cracking the top 10 - swap in that and Relationship of Command for the Coldplay and U2 entries and you'd have an amazing list.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”