Since The Topic Is Locked, I Have To Say That I Am Not A Troll Just A Very informed Long Time Beatles Fan

Letmerollittoyou
Strange Fruit

Since The Topic Is Locked, I Have To Say That I Am Not A Troll Just A Very informed Long Time Beatles Fan

Post by Letmerollittoyou »

I am not a troll, and I really hope that some open minded people will read the great information that I posted debunking ignorant myths about The Beatles. I know a lot about them since I have been studying about them since I was 11 years old. And I got two messages from two guys in Australia one who is a teacher who is a Beatles expert on the question and answer site Quora and they both said that they were really impressed with my knowledge about The Beatles.And 6 months after the teacher said that to me, I found a post where he gave one of the answers debunking the ignorant myth that The Beatles were ever a boy band, and I asked him if he read my information debunking this and he said yes quality work.

And recently on the site Culture Sonar they had a topic on how good a guitar player John Lennon was and I posted a lot of information and it was approved by moderation,and days later I saw that the site posted to me Thank you for your thoughtful posts and asked if I would be interested in writing for their site. And I just saw a post on a guys youtube channel about The Beatles that 5 months before he said thanks for the really interesting comments and links!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Re: Since The Topic Is Locked, I Have To Say That I Am Not A Troll Just A Very informed Long Time Beatles Fan

Post by Live in Phoenix »

You like the Beatles, got it. Could you not bring the entire Internet to us when discussing a topic?

Pierre, I don't see Bruce here, because this doesn't exactly seem like typical Bruce.

In almost related news, I saw the Ziggy concert movie last night and thought it was pretty great, in a theatrical way, better than his Reality tour DVD. Next up on the list is Atlantis Squarepantis.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Re: Since The Topic Is Locked, I Have To Say That I Am Not A Troll Just A Very informed Long Time Beatles Fan

Post by andyd1010 »

Letmerollittoyou, whether or not you are Bruce, the same lessons apply. You clearly have a lot of musical knowledge, and you want the forumers here to learn from it. I hope you read this and it helps you more effectively convey your knowledge.

First of all, that was an overwhelming flood of posts this morning. It's unlikely that anyone will read all of that, especially since it was seemingly unprompted. Even though you provided lots of evidence, you would drive your points home to more people if you made them succinctly.

Secondly, people have a problem with your language. You swear, you call people names, and you insult artists that many people on the forum love. Music is largely about personal tastes. I dislike many acclaimed artists too, but it's very difficult to convince people that their favorite artists are not great. In the end, it is rarely worth the effort. If you feel strongly that it is worth the effort, you would still be better served to make your point concisely without resorting to insults.

All the best.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Also, you're trying to school us into somehow appreciating the least obscure, most beloved musical act ever who easily won our recent forum Artist Poll of later than 2010...
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

andyd1010 wrote:you insult artists that many people on the forum love. Music is largely about personal tastes. I dislike many acclaimed artists too, but it's very difficult to convince people that their favorite artists are not great. In the end, it is rarely worth the effort.
Is it EVER worth the effort to convince people that their favorite artists are not great? Music is subjective so I'd argue that no one is wrong except those who try to convince others that they're wrong.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Can I just ask as to why Letmerollittoyou (a name that could use some spaces) chose that thread to go on a Beatles rampant? It didn't even seem remotely Beatles-related.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Who cares if the Beatles were or weren't a boy band, I still enjoy Zayn more than Sgt. Peppers! Last time I checked this was a poptimist-friendly forum ;).
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Henrik wrote:
andyd1010 wrote:you insult artists that many people on the forum love. Music is largely about personal tastes. I dislike many acclaimed artists too, but it's very difficult to convince people that their favorite artists are not great. In the end, it is rarely worth the effort.
Is it EVER worth the effort to convince people that their favorite artists are not great? Music is subjective so I'd argue that no one is wrong except those who try to convince others that they're wrong.
Well said. Perhaps you could cite evidence that refutes a popular claim about an artist's innovations or influence, or something to that effect. But it would be difficult to do so objectively, so I agree with you. Let people enjoy the music they enjoy.

Edit: One more point...I like many artists with relatively little acclaim, and I find it interesting to hear the reasons why other people don't like them as much as I do, as long as they're respectful in how they articulate it.
Last edited by andyd1010 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

You may not be a troll, but reviving a post from over 3 years ago with 50 posts about The Beatles, when the original topic was not about The Beatles, is a little strange.

I hope you can find a reason to post here aside from defending The Beatles against perceived slights, and I am sure you would be welcomed with open arms by everyone if you choose to actively engage in discussion without the need to put the opinions of others down.

In particular, you mentioned my affinity for David Bowie as a reason I should despise Scaruffi because of Scaruffi having called Bowie the most overrated artist ever, but I can say that I respect Scaruffi and any other music journalist/reviewer who has dedicated so much time and effort to the task, even if I often disagree with him. But then you claimed yourself that you felt Bowie was the most overrated artist ever, citing RYM reviewers and the like to back up your claims as if they are evidence of anything other than the universal fact that different music appeals to different people. I personally love Bowie's music, but I don't think someone else is wrong for believing that he is overrated or that his style overwhelmed his substance or any other negative opinions that people may have. No art appeals to everyone, yet all art has value.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

:text-goodpost:
I think this would be like the Facebook comment with the most Likes.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Does the term 'boy band' even have any bearing on their greatness? 'Boy band' currently has the connotation of a band being assembled by the label, without writing their own songs or playing their own instruments. Clearly none of those apply to the Beatles, but if somebody wants to use the term to describe the way they were marketed early in their careers, who cares? Is it really worth being nasty about it to correct the horrible injustice of a disagreement about semantics?

Your post explaining that you're not a troll called other people 'Ignorant'. That's not going to get you anywhere.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

One definition of a troll is a person who starts arguments or upsets people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion.

You, sir, are a troll. You could had easily created a new topic, i.e. "The Beatles, a boy band?" and condensed your arguments in one or two paragraphs. As a self-professed frequent poster in other forums, unarguably, you were well-aware of what your actions will cause.

...and YES, the Beatles are a boy band :lol:

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”