1%
Rose Elinor Dougall - Stellular
4%

Total votes: 93

spiritualized
Full of Fire

AMF Weekly Chart 17.3

Post by spiritualized »

Hello to all, sorry about the slight delay this week - travelling for work meant I couldn't take the time to compile your favorite chart.

We welcome a new riser to the top : The xx's Say Something Loving and notable new entries in the chart from Ariel Pink/Weyes Blood & Run the Jewels
Thank you for your nominations and support for the songs. The chart has now achieved its cruise speed, don't hesitate to vote for the songs you have listened to and particularly enjoyed !

The band : A soulful indie electronic outfit led by the respectively deadpan and sultry vocals of Oliver Sim and Romy Madley Croft.(Source : Allmusic)

The song :
The xx have unveiled their sparkling new track "Say Something Loving," the second single off the trio's upcoming LP I See You.
The track samples the Alessi Brothers' 1978 track "Do You Feel It?" and spotlights the vocal interplay of singers Oliver Sim and Romy Madley Croft, as well as Croft's sparse yet trademark guitar playing.[...] "Say Something Loving" fits into the vibe of an album that Sim described to the New York Times as more "celebratory" than the xx's previous acclaimed LPs.
"We were definitely in the mind-set that we would just try everything, and we did," Jamie xx told the newspaper of I See You. "And we made some terrible music in the process. I've got a hard drive full of stuff that’s never going to get heard. A lot of it was learning to realize that the first thing that you’ve done is by far the best, but having to take every possible route before you get back to that."(Source : Rolling Stone)

The Chart Playlist

The 2017 Hall of Fame Playlist
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Re: AMF Weekly Chart 17.3

Post by Rdwdbob »

I'm gonna nominate the first single from the solo debut from Lake Street Dive's Bridget Kearney - 'Wash Up'. Sounds like a lost Fleetwood Mac track from the early 80's. Quite nice.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

And...I just gotta nominate Thundercat's - 'Show Me The Way'. Another throw-back sounding track from the late 70's featuring Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald, wouldn't you know.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Nomination:
Ásgeir - Unbound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJyXDcFNQI
Pond - Sweep Me Off My Feet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHXPvBsXCAc
Smithers-Jones
Strange Fruit

Post by Smithers-Jones »

Nominations:
Cherry Glazerr - Nurse Ratchid
Soul Scratch - It's Not Over
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Hey Spiritual-Guy no need to apologize for any tardiness. I'm happy as heck that you took this project on! And you're doing a great job I might add! Just a quick question: last week it appears that Frank Ocean's 'Night' had 5 votes which should have got it through to this week. Is there a rule where a track can't carry over in it's potential final week if it's tied at the bottom and ten tracks have already advanced? :-?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Thank you rdwbob, these warm comments are what keep me going :)
Your question falls into a problem we met a few weeks ago when 15 or so tracks were eligible to go onto the next week, due to the fact that they all had the same number of votes.
It appeared that Setherex used to have a rule which prioritised ties according to their "age", favorising recent nominations rather than old ones (a 2 week-old 5 voters would rank higher than a 3 week old one). As we have a rule of 10 songs which make it to the next week, the case where the 10th place is tied would mean that the second instance would be kicked out.
This ensures that we get a steady stream of new nominations, which, to me, is essential to the interest and the survival of the Chart.

I understand the frustration though when an old favorite gets kicked out in its last week, like this was the case (I was sad to see The Bats go too...) last week. The way to avoid this ? Minimise the ties by getting more people to vote. At a guess, I think we have about 10-15 regular voters and yet this forum has far more regular visitors....

Hope this answers your question ?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Better get my noms in quickly :)

I will not veer from my tastes and keep on submitting indie rock/rock tracks until you guys are finally warming up to them :)

SO here goes...

The Blind Shake - Apostle Island
and... a personal fave with a fantastic song, a clever mix of Foo Fighters and Ash, catchy as hell.
Dinosaur Pile-up - Nothing Personal
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Re:

Post by Rdwdbob »

spiritualized wrote:Thank you rdwbob, these warm comments are what keep me going :)
Your question falls into a problem we met a few weeks ago when 15 or so tracks were eligible to go onto the next week, due to the fact that they all had the same number of votes.
It appeared that Setherex used to have a rule which prioritised ties according to their "age", favorising recent nominations rather than old ones (a 2 week-old 5 voters would rank higher than a 3 week old one). As we have a rule of 10 songs which make it to the next week, the case where the 10th place is tied would mean that the second instance would be kicked out.
This ensures that we get a steady stream of new nominations, which, to me, is essential to the interest and the survival of the Chart.

I understand the frustration though when an old favorite gets kicked out in its last week, like this was the case (I was sad to see The Bats go too...) last week. The way to avoid this ? Minimise the ties by getting more people to vote. At a guess, I think we have about 10-15 regular voters and yet this forum has far more regular visitors....

Hope this answers your question ?
Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense! I like it! :music-rockon:
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Mount Eerie - Real Death
Father John Misty -Two Wildly Different Perspectives
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Future Islands - Ran
Loyle Carner - The Isle of Arran
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Conor Oberst - Barbary Coast (Later)
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

JohnnyBGoode wrote:Mount Eerie - Real Death
+1
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I listened to Real Death yesterday. The lyrics, given the context, are simply harrowing. Not sure about the music though. Unfortunately, I don't think it will make it to the chart, as I have to give a deadline, which was passed yesterday.
I think the rules say that if it is renominated and seconded, it can go onto next week's.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

spiritualized wrote:I listened to Real Death yesterday. The lyrics, given the context, are simply harrowing. Not sure about the music though. Unfortunately, I don't think it will make it to the chart, as I have to give a deadline, which was passed yesterday.
I think the rules say that if it is renominated and seconded, it can go onto next week's.
I think it only needs seconded if it's already been on the chart, otherwise it's just subject to normal rules.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”