6000 Songs: Lindstrøm – I Feel Space

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

6000 Songs: Lindstrøm – I Feel Space

Post by Rob »

This topic is part of the weekly 6000 songs, 6000 opinions. In this, every week another song from the Acclaimed Music song top 6000 is selected for discussion. The song is chosen completely at random, through random.org, making the selections hopefully very varied. The only other rule in this is that after an artist has had a turn, he can’t appear for another ten weeks. The idea for this topic came to me because I wanted to think of a way to engage more actively with the very large top 6000 songs that Henrik has compiled for us, while still keeping it accessible and free of any game elements. Yes, that’s right, no game elements. You are free to rate the song each week, but I’ll do nothing with this rating. I want it to be about people’s personal reviews and hopefully discussions. So in reverse to other topics on this site I say: “Please comment on this song, rating is optional”.
Earlier entries of this series can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3065&p=45337&hilit=archive#p45337

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

60. Lindstrøm – I Feel Space

The facts:
Year: 2005.
Genre: Dance.
Released as a single.
Acclaimed Music ranking: #1739.
Song ranking on Acclaimed Music in the artist’s discography: 1st, the only one.
Ranks higher than Lazy Sunday by Small Faces, but lower than Boyfriend by Best Coast.
Place in the Acclaimed Music Song Poll 2015: Unranked.

The people:
Produced by Lindstrøm.
Arranged by Lindstrøm.

The opinion:
Am I the only one who… No, scratch that; I know I’m not the only one who is reminded of I Feel Love by Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder when listening to Lindstrøm’s breakthrough I Feel Space. Just look at the titles! Of course, a lot of artists could have thought of the title of Lindstrøm’s song and there are probably a lot of songs named I Feel Love that have nothing to do with the disco classic, but still.

Anyway, a lot of critics before me made the connection and its almost disappointing that I can’t find an interview with Lindstrøm admitting as much. Every time I Feel Space starts I think the seventies classic is beginning, before Lindstrøm takes it in another direction. It’s not plagiarism however, because when I actually listen to the start of both songs back to back they are more dissimilar than they appear. It is Moroder who is actually more spacy at the start, whereas Lindstrøm opens with burning synths right from the get-go. Yet the way these intro’s build towards the appearance of a similar bass-line is obviously no coincidence. It’s Lindstrøm tipping his hat to the godfather of his musical genre.

Both songs have something cosmic about them, but whereas Moroder enables Summer’s vocal to make the whole into something soft and even floating, Lindstrøm seems more interested in a traditional approach for dance music. His song is more varied than Moroder’s, changing the textures of the synths, as well as the rhythms and the instrument selection (no matter that there is technically only one instrument: the computer).

What makes the reference to Moroder so interesting to me is that it seems a tip-off for the actual intent of the song. Maybe I’m seeing too much in it (Lindstrøm has never confirmed my thoughts), but to me it is an exploration of the history of the dance music, post-swing. There is the obvious beat-driven sound of much dance music, the spaced-out free feeling of less heavy genre fare, as well as the drum-laden rhythms that date further back, towards funk, rock and African tribal music.

All these elements follow up on each-other. Indeed, several times the song seems to actually break down, but it never quit stops. It just makes way for a new approach. So the rhythmical percussions only make their appearance over the halfway point, where the synths get shoved to the background for a short while. The ambient melodies keep all the elements together. The variations come gently, so their appearance won’t be jarring on the dance-floor. Besides this isn’t actually a rave song, it’s something more ethereal. Space really.

With I Feel Space Lindstrøm updated the old disco sounds for the new generation and he is seen as one of the major figures of the genre of nu-disco. Maybe it’s just that I hear it 12 years later and that there have been so many songs that followed in its footsteps, but it hardly sounds fresh to me now, though it apparently did so in 2005. If it wasn’t for the variation I might not have liked it as much. I feel that the spacy ambience has been done better elsewhere, even by Lindstrøm himself, on Another Station for example, or in his collaborations with vocalist Christabelle on the album Real Life Is No Cool or the early track Music (In My Mind).

At the moment I Feel Space feels like just a very solid dance track to me, one that always keeps me on my toes, but never quite lifts those toes off the ground. The single was released originally with Roma E6 as the B-side and it is quite a shame that one didn’t gain more critical exposure along with I Feel Space. Roma E6 is another mix of disco and ambient, but instead of tribal music it adds no less than flamenco sounds, which sound far more fresh to me. There’s even room for piano’s and electric guitar.

That might be another hint of the nature of Lindstrøm’s music. He said himself that he started to make dance music not because he was into it, but simply because he wanted to try out how it was done. His original background is in country and rock. It’s probably this interest in many styles that informed his early experiments in the mixing of various genres, something that got a bit lost after I Feel Space. At least for that short moment we got these two songs, extended explorations of dance music’s past put in a contemporary context. Don’t get me wrong, Lindstrøm did good and maybe even better work afterward, but this remains his most innovative work.
7/10

Other versions:
As with most dance tracks there aren’t really any covers, but there are remixes. Curiously for such a famous track I can only find two of them. The Freeform 5 Remix is rather interesting, as it adds female vocals to the song that only deepen the connection with I Feel Love. At the same time the sound is heavier and faster than whatever either Lindstrøm or Moroder put out. It’s pretty great. The M.A.N.D.Y. Remix also goes for a bigger beat and shortens the song almost by half. It adds little that I find worthwhile.

The playlist:
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: 6000 Songs: Lindstrøm – I Feel Space

Post by Nassim »

I'd be interested to know what you include in the "so many songs that followed its footsteps" because I really like that song and some others by Lindstrom, but the only artists I know of that really expanded on this sound is Todd Terje (I'd say Strandbar is the natural extension of I Feel Space).
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

I liked this track a great deal when it came out and I placed it high on my favorite songs ballot during the last forum songs poll. It gets at least a 9/10 from me.
Nassim wrote:I'd be interested to know what you include in the "so many songs that followed its footsteps" because I really like that song and some others by Lindstrom, but the only artists I know of that really expanded on this sound is Todd Terje (I'd say Strandbar is the natural extension of I Feel Space).
Nu-disco was fairly popular in certain clubs / music venues when I was in grad school, so I heard a decent bit of it back then. Here's some stuff mostly from the top of my head, so this is by no means exhaustive. I caution that Lindstrom's style harkens back to late-'70s space disco (e.g., Cerrone, Black Devil, both interesting, but neither age as well as Moroder's music) more so than most of this stuff, so it might not be what you're looking for. Morgan Geist is sort of the genre's urtext, so any of his various projects are worth a listen (excluding his earliest recordings, which if memory serves are basically techno). Also, I'm not 100% sure on the exact date of all these, but the majority predate or are contemporaneous of Lindstrom, so it might not answer your question as to what music builds on his base.

Nu-Disco Mix (sorry it's not a spotify mix):
* Metro Area - Pina [I think this is where it started, i.e., the first track off of the first Metro Area EP, unless "Atmosphrique" was the first track, in which case that]
* The Juan MacLean - By the Time I Get to Venus [Probably the closest thing to Terje's recent stuff]
* TJM - Small Circle of Friends (DJ Prom mix) [I'm pretty sure this is a remix of a late-'70s track]
* Radio 4 - Dance to the Underground (DFA Mix) [the original's a mostly-forgotten rock song, while the DFA mix is a great, spacey nu-disco track that sounds very different]
* Metro Area - Miura [the obvious classic of the genre]
* Jersey Devil Social Club - Homage At 121 BPM [More Geist goodness]
* Dolle Jolle - Balearic Incarnation (Todd Terje mix) [If you're a fan of Terje's recent albums and singles, you'll probably like his remixes too]
* Kelley Polar Quartet - When We Were All Together in Atlantis
* Todd Terje - Eurodans [early Terje solo record, not really fair to view him as influenced by Lindstrom since they're more or less contemporaries]
* Aeroplane - Caramellas [from here on down is certainly post-"I Feel Space"]
* Walter Jones - I'll Keep on Loving You
* Hercules and Love Affair - Blind (Frankie Knuckles mix)
* The Juan MacLean - Happy House [More from Juan/John, and probably more house than disco at this point, but it's excellent so why not?]
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Thanks Jeff. It seems you have more songs like this ready than I have.
Nassim wrote:I'd be interested to know what you include in the "so many songs that followed its footsteps" because I really like that song and some others by Lindstrom, but the only artists I know of that really expanded on this sound is Todd Terje (I'd say Strandbar is the natural extension of I Feel Space).
Perhaps you are right from a more detailed perspective. This isn't particularly my genre, so on a more particular scale this might be more innovative than I give it credit for. It's more that the spacey ambient sound that alternates or mixes with dance rhythm has become more of a standard in many dance clubs. As I understood it, Lindstrøm reintroduced and updated it for a new generation. It had been the sound I heard at so many parties during college (which for me was after I Feel Space, from 2007 until 2011 to be exact) and after. I'm basically generalizing here, but that line you quote comes from a longer sentence of doubt about why this song doesn't sound as fresh as it should to me. I admit that this can be unsatisfying and I could word such things better. I did hear Todd Terje though and I had some of the same feelings with his music.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”