Do you agree that comparing Penny Lane with Strawberry Fields is a good way to know if you are a McCartney fan or a Lenn

What song is better?

Penny Lane
11%
Strawberry Fields Forever
83%
I can't choice, I love both equally!
6%

Total votes: 18

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Do you agree that comparing Penny Lane with Strawberry Fields is a good way to know if you are a McCartney fan or a Lenn

Post by mat.bez.lima »

Many say that a way to know if you like
more McCartney or Lennon is listening
to Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields
Forever. If you like more Penny Lane,
you are a McCartney fan, if you like
more Strawberry Fields, you are a
Lennon's fan. Do you agree with this?
User of RYM #507651
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Re: Do you agree that comparing Penny Lane with Strawberry Fields is a good way to know if you are a McCartney fan or a

Post by Krurze »

I think that at least for me this statement isn't true, but simply because Penny Lane is one of my very favourite McCartney tunes. Overall I'd consider myself more of a Lennon guy because I am just not too fond of McCartney's voice, but Penny Lane has a sublime airiness that is hard not to appreciate. So in this case I voted for the third option, because I do love both songs.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Re: Do you agree that comparing Penny Lane with Strawberry Fields is a good way to know if you are a McCartney fan or a

Post by andyd1010 »

It's not true for me either, for the opposite reason. I am more of a McCartney fan but I prefer Strawberry Fields Forever. I only ranked Penny Lane 41st in The Beatles poll we had, but Paul McCartney is still my favorite musician ever.
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

Strawberry Fields Forever is a bad song. There, I said it.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I think it's not a good way to find out cos Penny Lane is one of Paul's lighter tunes and lyrically not one of the best, whereas Strawberry Fields might be John's best song and lyrically top-notch too. That being said, I love both songs.
I feel like that
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

While I do prefer Strawberry Fields Forever to Penny Lane and Lennon to McCartney, the distance between the two songs is far greater for me; Penny Lane is only a minor blip among their songs that resonate with me. I decided to actually look into the songs that register on my artist file to compare.

Just looking at songs, The Beatles as a whole barely beat David Bowie to be my #1 artist. Breaking the band into a Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison version, I end up with these placements (removing the Beatles as a whole for the placements):
Lennon's Beatles (including collaborations with McCartney): #7 song artist
McCartney's Beatles (including collaborations with Lennon): #9 song artist
Harrison's Beatles: #177 song artist

So, I prefer Lennon, but only barely so. Now, if I were to then incorporate later works, Lennon wins in a landslide, so...
Lennon (solo and Beatles songs): #3 song artist
McCartney (solo and Beatles songs): still #9 song artist

So, I guess the easiest way to answer is I slightly prefer John Lennon but I'm a big enough fan of both of them to place them individually in my top 10 artists of all time? And these placements would be exactly the same if Penny Lane didn't exist, as it has such little influence at this high of a rank; meanwhile, without Strawberry Fields Forever, Lennon's Beatles would fall to #8/stay at #3.
mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Post by mat.bez.lima »

BleuPanda wrote:While I do prefer Strawberry Fields Forever to Penny Lane and Lennon to McCartney, the distance between the two songs is far greater for me; Penny Lane is only a minor blip among their songs that resonate with me. I decided to actually look into the songs that register on my artist file to compare.

Just looking at songs, The Beatles as a whole barely beat David Bowie to be my #1 artist. Breaking the band into a Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison version, I end up with these placements (removing the Beatles as a whole for the placements):
Lennon's Beatles (including collaborations with McCartney): #7 song artist
McCartney's Beatles (including collaborations with Lennon): #9 song artist
Harrison's Beatles: #177 song artist

So, I prefer Lennon, but only barely so. Now, if I were to then incorporate later works, Lennon wins in a landslide, so...
Lennon (solo and Beatles songs): #3 song artist
McCartney (solo and Beatles songs): still #9 song artist

So, I guess the easiest way to answer is I slightly prefer John Lennon but I'm a big enough fan of both of them to place them individually in my top 10 artists of all time? And these placements would be exactly the same if Penny Lane didn't exist, as it has such little influence at this high of a rank; meanwhile, without Strawberry Fields Forever, Lennon's Beatles would fall to #8/stay at #3.
Indepently of our personal preference, Lennon/McCartney were geniuses and the best thing that we do is love both and not to try to put one above the other as the better songwriter or another kind. They are equal in matter of greatness, tough we can prefer one above other.
User of RYM #507651
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I wouldn't use this as your litmus test as Penny Lane is not ranked as high among McCartney tunes as SFF is among Lennon and neither is that representative of their general style.
leandre
Start Me Up

Post by leandre »

The best way is to listen "A day in life" but I'm not sure.
leandre
Start Me Up

Post by leandre »

In my opinion, Macca was the best in the Beatles. The most innovative.
But I greatly prefer Lennon's solo career. Plastic albums ono band and Imagine are pure jewels.
leandre
Start Me Up

Post by leandre »

Plastic ono band. Sorry.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

leandre wrote:The best way is to listen "A day in life" but I'm not sure.
I think that's a worse way actually. The McCartney middle part was just a throwaway (that did fit the song though).

I guess it does give contrast to their styles, but McCartney has tons of better writing.
I feel like that
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I prefer Lennon just because I like emotional rawness more than pop ornateness.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”