R.I.P. Greg Lake

Harold
Into the Groove

R.I.P. Greg Lake

Post by Harold »

http://www.spin.com/2016/12/greg-lake-o ... ies-at-69/

Greg Lake, the bassist/vocalist for prog giants Emerson, Lake & Palmer who was also an integral part of King Crimson's classic debut album In the Court of the Crimson King, has passed away at age 69 after "a long and stubborn battle with cancer," according to a statement.

Second member of that iconic trio to die in 2016 - you may remember that keyboard wizard Keith Emerson committed suicide earlier this year.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: R.I.P. Greg Lake

Post by Matski »

I remember buying 'In the Court of the Crimson King' during my first year at uni, after reading numerous articles mentioning it as a key inspiration for some of my favourite bands. Greg's distorted snarls on '21st Century Schizoid Man' were one several elements that made it an immediate hit with me. While many of the bands it inspired have since drifted out of my collection, that album has continued to be amongst my favourites. As I listened to the first ELP album after Keith Emerson passed away earlier this year, I'm more likely to play the first two King Crimson records later on. Cheers Greg, for all you top work.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Re: R.I.P. Greg Lake

Post by jamieW »

I'd like to offer my condolences, as well. I was first introduced to ELP by a coworker many years ago and loved them immediately. Over the years, I'd grow to understand how some people found them excessive, but it never dampened my enthusiasm for them. (Especially since I also enjoyed their quieter moments, like "From the Beginning" and "Still...You Turn Me On.") Rest in peace, Greg and Keith, and thank you for everything.

(And seriously, from the miserable political and social events, to worldwide tragedies, to the loss of so many great musicians, can 2016 just be over already?)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”