New site design (beta)

Henrik
Site Admin

New site design (beta)

Post by Henrik »

I've been working on the site design lately. I (especially my eyes) hate the current look, I don't know what I was thinking a few years ago...!?

Here is a link to a beta test: http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/beta_design/index.html
The only pages that are up (at least for now) are:
- the home page (on big screens it is redundant, as it's the same as "YEARS")
- the 4 left column pages
- a page showing the top 10 albums of 2015, which can be found from the years page

You are very welcome to comment! My aim is to make a sustainable design that looks good on all devices, so please try it on your pc, mobile, pad, etc. I haven't done much with the home page. Any suggestions to make it more catchy are gratefully accepted.

There is a potential drawback with this, in that it might cause a further delay of the next site update. A March update will be hard to achieve, but I'll work as hard as I can. For me a new design has a rather high priority.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Re: New site design (beta)

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Personally, I have set Acclaimed Music to 150% zoom for as far back as I can remember, which I guess says something about the size of the font. While I understand that changing the look of the site is much needed, I hope you can still do the March update.

I used my PC to view. Might try from my phone later.
Faves: I like the album artwork layout! I also like the banner on top that stays as you scroll. Just don't be like Rolling Stone and make it super thick and take up a quarter of the page!
Critiques: I prefer a background color other than white. Personally, the contrast between the white and black is always a bit tough for my eyes. For example, I'd be perfectly satisfied with the current light blue (?) background.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Personally, I have set Acclaimed Music to 150% zoom for as far back as I can remember, which I guess says something about the size of the font.
Same here. I also agree that the white background may not be ideal, but otherwise, it's a good design.

And Henrik, if you want some work off your back, I can work on the EOY songs list this year.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Henrik, I like it. It looks much bigger and stand out-ish. Much cleaner, clearer look. Go for it.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Is it only me? I don't perceive the background as white but light grey on the right and the same old light blue on the left. It looks light grey too on my iPhone. All in all, it looks fine to me, clear and clean. I think it's great.

The only improvement I'd recommend would be to add some artists or album covers pics or any other visual hooks on the landing page for newcomers, as a common complain I've heard from people I tried to introduce to the website was that it looked a bit stark. As I said, I'm personally fine with it as it is, but it might be an idea to consider.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

It's how I like a website: simple and clear.

If I not hate the old style, the new one is an improvement.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Henrik, I like it. Easier to read, clearer design.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

On my iPhone now. Looks like a great design on here! Really stellar job, Henrik!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre wrote:Is it only me? I don't perceive the background as white but light grey on the right and the same old light blue on the left. It looks light grey too on my iPhone. All in all, it looks fine to me, clear and clean. I think it's great.

The only improvement I'd recommend would be to add some artists or album covers pics or any other visual hooks on the landing page for newcomers, as a common complain I've heard from people I tried to introduce to the website was that it looked a bit stark. As I said, I'm personally fine with it as it is, but it might be an idea to consider.
Yes probably. :D The background is white, with a light-grey background on the left.

Some of you mentioned that a white background is not ideal, but I think I will keep it like that. I used to have a huge problem with white backgrounds too (especially when coming from a dark screen (hello Spotify...)). However, after I decreased brightness and contrast on my screen white background works best for me.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Henrik, if you want some work off your back, I can work on the EOY songs list this year.
Oh, that would be great! Thanks! :music-guitarred:
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:
Pierre wrote:Is it only me? I don't perceive the background as white but light grey on the right and the same old light blue on the left. It looks light grey too on my iPhone. All in all, it looks fine to me, clear and clean. I think it's great.

Yes probably. :D The background is white, with a light-grey background on the left.

Some of you mentioned that a white background is not ideal, but I think I will keep it like that. I used to have a huge problem with white backgrounds too (especially when coming from a dark screen (hello Spotify...)). However, after I decreased brightness and contrast on my screen white background works best for me.
I suspect that because my computer's brightness is permanently dimmed somewhat the hues don't appear as flashy as they do for others :D And the grey looks blue in contrast to the text colour, I guess. Whatever. As you say, when the brightness is decreased, it's not aggressive by any mean.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre wrote:The only improvement I'd recommend would be to add some artists or album covers pics or any other visual hooks on the landing page
The top 3 album covers are back!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I've done some more work on the design this weekend.

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/beta_design/index.html

These are the pages (both desktop and mobile versions) I have created. The lists on these pages are not complete. They are very short, just to show examples of the design. It should be mentioned though, that with full lists the shape of several lists will change, when longer artist/album/song/genre names are included.

These pages were created earlier:
ARTISTS
COUNTRIES
GENRES
YEARS
All Time Top 3000 Albums
All Time Top 6000 Songs
2010s Albums
2010s Songs
2015 Albums
2015 Songs

New pages:
Artists A-Z: #
Top 1000 Artists
Artists by Country: Algeria
Lists by Country: Algeria Albums
Lists by Country: Algeria Songs
Lists by Genre: Ambient
Artist page: Khaled
Album page: Khaled - Khaled [1992]
Song page: Khaled - Didi

Let me know what you think!
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I think it looks good. It looks much richer and bolder.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

bootsy wrote:I think it looks good. It looks much richer and bolder.
Thanks! It's perhaps too bold to some...? I've chosen regular links on the mobile version, but I thought that looked thin on large screens. At least my tired eyes need the bold blue. Maybe I will look into semi-bold alternatives.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Henrik wrote:
bootsy wrote:I think it looks good. It looks much richer and bolder.
Thanks! It's perhaps too bold to some...? I've chosen regular links on the mobile version, but I thought that looked thin on large screens. At least my tired eyes need the bold blue. Maybe I will look into semi-bold alternatives.
No problem you're welcome. I am a web developer and my feelings are you want to capture a user's eye immediately when you first land on a page but you don't want a lot going on either and I feel like your page captures my eye when I first land on the page without being over the top or too busy
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Looks great, Henrik! I especially like the added attention it brings to the Spotify playlists, since these are an awesome benefit for music fans who'd like to easily explore the lists. (I don't know of any other site that offers anything remotely close.) :music-listening:
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

jamieW wrote:Looks great, Henrik! I especially like the added attention it brings to the Spotify playlists, since these are an awesome benefit for music fans who'd like to easily explore the lists. (I don't know of any other site that offers anything remotely close.) :music-listening:
I like this feature too. :music-rockon:
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Excellent new design, Henrik! Only a minor question, from now on the list by years will show in inverse chronological order (from 2015 to 1920) or is it only for the test? Probably it's better like that (I mean like in the test) since most people visit the site looking for the acclaimed works of the recent years…
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Honorio wrote:Excellent new design, Henrik! Only a minor question, from now on the list by years will show in inverse chronological order (from 2015 to 1920) or is it only for the test? Probably it's better like that (I mean like in the test) since most people visit the site looking for the acclaimed works of the recent years…
Thanks! Yes, I plan to make that change.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
jamieW wrote:Looks great, Henrik! I especially like the added attention it brings to the Spotify playlists, since these are an awesome benefit for music fans who'd like to easily explore the lists. (I don't know of any other site that offers anything remotely close.) :music-listening:
Thanks but...all the playlists are already on the site!???
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henrik wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
Thanks but...all the playlists are already on the site!???
LOL, I just meant that the new design brings extra attention to the availability of Spotify playlists. (It was the first thing that jumped out at me when I looked at it, and I imagine this is a feature likely to attract people new to the site. For myself personally, I'm well-aware of this great asset, having used them many times.) :D
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Looks good, Henrik!!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”