Best Album of (Year) Tournaments: How to Decide the Year

How should I decide what year to cover?

Randomly select it
75%
Work backward from 2014 or so
13%
Work forward from (year TBD; please see below before voting this option)
No votes
Vote on it as a group
13%

Total votes: 8

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Best Album of (Year) Tournaments: How to Decide the Year

Post by BleuPanda »

The issue here is deciding how I'll decide which specific year to cover; vote in the poll above.

For the third option, I want to remind everyone each of these would take about 2 months, and I'm not sure it would be as interesting with years we already thoroughly discuss; I'm including the 2010s option because I feel there's still a lot to be decided in the modern era, and am including option 3 largely for fairness. Personally, I'm leaning toward the first two options.

I think I'm going to go with album tournaments by year for now; as I explained in the other topic, the entrants will be chosen as such:
1. All albums that rank in the top 10 on AM will automatically place (or should I change this to all albums in the top 1000?)
2. Everyone can send me their top 3 favorite albums from that year not included in the above in a private message
3. Any albums that get multiple mentions are included
4. Each person's #1 choice is included (until we reach 32; earlier submissions get priority)
5. If there's enough space, people whose #1 got multiple mentions also get their number 2 added
6. If there's still remaining space, I will add the next top-ranked albums from AM

I have this multiple mention rule so people have an incentive to include their favorites that happen to be popular; we don't want the #11 album of the year missing out because everyone assumed everyone else would nominate it. The #3 slot essentially exists as a backing vote; it will never be included on its own, but it can 'match' with someone else's nominations to ensure a placement. I simply don't want to risk major albums being left out.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Best Album of (Year) Tournaments: How to Decide the Year

Post by Henrik »

Hi BleuPanda and everyone! I like this idea, but I wonder if you are thinking that this game will "replace" the usual yearly/decade polls? If not, will you participate in both?

Edit: If that sounded negative to this tournament, personally I wouldn't actually mind if we skip the decade polls for some time, as they have been going on for many years. However, I remember bringing this question up in another thread a while ago and several people responded they wanted to do the 00's again next year.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Henrik wrote:Hi BleuPanda and everyone! I like this idea, but I wonder if you are thinking that this game will "replace" the usual decade polls? If not, will you participate in both?

I definitely don't want it to replace the usual decade polls (especially since this would double the length - each 32-entrant poll would take 7 weeks), which is why I ended up voting for the random year option; that's the other issue with the second and third option, as it could end up competing with the decade polls; though I would like to do more with the 2010s without waiting until 2020, so I would definitely be down for the current decade specifically.

This and the decade poll have a major difference; in the decade poll's placement rounds, you can vote without a strong familiarity with the year, and there's ultimately a rather large net. With this, you are given a limited selection to immediately familiarize yourself with. I think one weakness of how we do decade polls is it's difficult for total unknowns to gain attention; a work generally has to be familiar to everyone to place in the top 10 or 15 or whatever, unless it's a weak year. These tournaments could act as a more active 'discovery' portion to go along with the more declarative decade polls. Someone could list their unknown favorite from 2001 as their #1 here and everyone who participates will likely listen to it; compare this to the decade poll, where a #1 vote brings no additional attention on its own. I guess you could say one method leans toward the consensus while the other at least allows individual choices to shine through.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Henrik wrote:Hi BleuPanda and everyone! I like this idea, but I wonder if you are thinking that this game will "replace" the usual yearly/decade polls? If not, will you participate in both?

Edit: If that sounded negative to this tournament, personally I wouldn't actually mind if we skip the decade polls for some time, as they have been going on for many years. However, I remember bringing this question up in another thread a while ago and several people responded they wanted to do the 00's again next year.

I wrote my first response to this before seeing the edit; if we could find a way for these polls to reasonably replace the first round of the decade poll, I would support that idea; but I also don't want each decade poll to take 2 years...if other people are interested in, say, doing this as the 2000s poll, I would support that (and we could use extrapolation to make the familiar top 100).
mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Post by mat.bez.lima »

If we make like the a similar topic that I created before and nobody replied?

Grammy Awards Album Of The Year - Official
Topic
Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:36 pm
The purposes of this thread are two:
1-Comment what albums do you consider the
best or favorite to win the Album Of The Year.
We all would like much listen to them.
2-Discuss and analise the winners and indicated
of all past editions of Grammy. We all are free
to question the winners, desire that the winner
was other album, comment the indicated
albums and what albums should be indicated.
We will begin with the first edition: the Grammy
Album Of The Year of the 1958. At same time,
we will discuss also what albums deserve be
indicated.
In other words: this is the official topic of
Grammy Award Album Of The Year.
Below, the indicated albums for the first
Grammy in history.
Best Album Of The Year
The nominees were:
Henry Mancini – The Music from Peter Gunn
Ella Fitzgerald – Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Irving