Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post Reply
Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2055
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Harold » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am

It was announced this morning that Bob Dylan is this year's recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition." I believe this may be the first time the prize has gone to someone who isn't a "writer" in the traditional sense. Congratulations, Bob!

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:02 pm

Some people are really upset about this. Me? I'm perfectly okay with it. Songwriting is, obviously, a part of the written word and Bob Dylan is one of the greatest songwriters of all time. A bit weird that this is how America's 23 year Nobel Prize in literature drought had to end though...

User avatar
whuntva
Full of Fire
Posts: 1458
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by whuntva » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:07 pm

A bit of an odd choice although I certainly endorse the idea of a pop star winning. When I heard the first syllable on the radio, I thought they'd say "Bo...No".

A bit surprised but I take no issue
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"

User avatar
PlasticRam
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2026
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by PlasticRam » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:22 pm

Definitely songwriting is writing too. I'm happy about this. Only way I can understand someone being upset about this if they don't value Dylan as a lyricist.
I feel like that

User avatar
Listyguy
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2222
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Listyguy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:32 pm

:music-rockon:

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2055
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Harold » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Nick wrote:A bit weird that this is how America's 23 year Nobel Prize in literature drought had to end though...
Hey, Philip Roth! How does it FEEEEEL???

cjppats43
Start Me Up
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:48 am

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by cjppats43 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:36 pm

He's a poet. He totally deserves it. Listen to Desolation Row again, and tell me that isn't poetry. Dude is the best lyricist ever, and maybe the best poet period. Super happy

User avatar
Dexter
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 am

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Dexter » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:19 pm

The Nobel is awarded to Bob Dylan "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition." As a poet, Dylan is far from the best of those not yet awarded the Nobel Prize (the other candidates created works of much better substance when read); however, in the development of a specific literary technique, Dylan is a true original and as a singer-songwriter he is miles ahead from the crop. In fact, this should not create a precedent since no other music artist comes even close - yes, not even Mitchell, Springsteen, Cohen, etc.

User avatar
bonnielaurel
Full of Fire
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by bonnielaurel » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 pm

For the first time since Winston Churchill the winner is someone people have heard of. It must be his exemplary use of the rhetorical question in Blowin' in the Wind.

Other candidates for the future:

Peace: Bono, Bob Geldof, Sting
Chemistry: The Chemical Brothers, My Chemical Romance
Physics: Olivia Newton-John ("Let's get physical...")
Medicine: Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
They give awards for that music? I thought just ear plugs. (Woody Allen in Annie Hall)

Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Kingoftonga » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:23 pm

bonnielaurel wrote:
Other candidates for the future:
Medicine: Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
Dr. Dre, Dr. John, Dr. Octagon, etc.... :mrgreen:

User avatar
Sweepstakes Ron
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2124
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 pm
Location: Here, There, and Everywhere

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Sweepstakes Ron » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:29 pm

Kingoftonga wrote:
bonnielaurel wrote:
Other candidates for the future:
Medicine: Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
Dr. Dre, Dr. John, Dr. Octagon, etc.... :mrgreen:
Don't forget Dr. Teeth!
"Music is powerful, man. It speaks to a primal pit in our brains. It makes anyone want to get up and get their knees going!"
— Jake the Dog

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by mat.bez.lima » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:05 am

Without doubt, this was the most
corageous Nobel prize in the last
years. Many writers are feeling
outraged saying that composers
can't be considered writers like
the book writers. Many are feeling
so outraged and offended that are
even trying to desqualify Bob
Dylan even as artist and
songwriters or even saying that
Nobel hasn't value, saying that "what value can have a prize that Jorge Luís Borges never won?" The Nobel prize VALUES, so why they would be so offended? Well, what's
your opinions? I introduce one more question: do you agree that should have a Nobel prize of music or cinema?
The link below shows different view points, favorable or unfavorable.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trainspotti ... bel-honor/
User of RYM #507651

User avatar
prosecutorgodot
Full of Fire
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by prosecutorgodot » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:53 am

mat.bez.lima wrote:Without doubt, this was the most
corageous Nobel prize in the last
years. Many writers are feeling
outraged saying that composers
can't be considered writers like
the book writers. Many are feeling
so outraged and offended that are
even trying to desqualify Bob
Dylan even as artist and
songwriters or even saying that
Nobel hasn't value, saying that "what value can have a prize that Jorge Luís Borges never won?" The Nobel prize VALUES, so why they would be so offended? Well, what's
your opinions? I introduce one more question: do you agree that should have a Nobel prize of music or cinema?
The link below shows different view points, favorable or unfavorable.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trainspotti ... bel-honor/
Hmmm interesting comparison. I will list a couple of the opposing arguments here.
1. [An author] also begged to know if writer Don De Lillo had been inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll hall of fame yet.
This was the first one that stuck out to me, as it does seem like a double standard. Musicians can win Literature awards, but authors can't win Music awards.
This is a pretty sturdy argument. The only thing I can say is that perhaps some authors could write words and have it ebb and flow like music. Have a rhythm to it or something. Emily Dickinson is the only one that comes to mind, and I suppose such an author might not yet be born. But then they could say neither Dickinson nor another author could ever win a prize for Music.

2. "I get the Nobel Prize committee. Reading books is hard."
I am lumping this one in with the even better argument: Writing books is hard, way more difficult than writing a song. I think this is another pretty good argument. I might argue that writing an entire album is just as hard as writing a novel.

People like us here on the forum probably believe music is a combination of two greats: melody/rhythm and poetry. (and perhaps even believe music is a superior art form to literature? I certainly do.)

Jackson
Full of Fire
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Jackson » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:24 am

I love the choice, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see how much reaction this has gotten (it was the lead story in the New York Times this morning). If poets have won before, I don't see why Dylan would be a controversial pick at all. The impact and popular enjoyment of words he has written exceed most of the other winners of this prize combined.

User avatar
Matski
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Matski » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:43 am

Kinda feels weird when you've been listening to someone's music near-exclusively for the last month (for this site no less) when a related news item like this pops up. Top work Bob!

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Nick » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:28 pm

It's pretty obvious that selecting Bob Dylan for the award is a controversial choice. I fully stand by it though. Here I'll try and refute some of the more common arguments I've seen against his win...
People against Bob Dylan winning wrote:Bob Dylan is a songwriter. And while he may be a great songwriter, songwriting just isn't literature.
Who's to say that songwriting can't be literature though? Songwriting, is obviously, creative writing. There's no monolithic idea of what literature is or isn't either. People have won the Nobel Prize in literature by writing novels, short stories, plays, criticism, historical accounts, and poetry. I'd say that the gulf between something like a novel and poetry is just as large as the gulf between a novel and songwriting.
People against Bob Dylan winning wrote:Songwriting is distinct from literature and here's why. It's because songwriting is meant to be performed (and listened to), not read. When you divorce the lyrics from their performance, you're only devaluing the lyrics.
While this may be grounded in truth, why can't this criticism also apply to plays? Plays are, after all, meant to be performed (and watched), not read. And when you divorce the play from its performance, you really are compromising the experience of the play. But nobody making this claim about songwriting is going to claim that playwrights are disqualified from winning the Nobel.
People against Bob Dylan winning wrote:We already have awards for music, of which Bob Dylan has won many. Why does he deserve to win the Nobel in literature?
Because the Nobel Prize is (or at least should be) awarded to the person who is the best in the field in the eyes of the committee, no matter how many awards they've won elsewhere. Besides, there isn't exactly a Nobel Prize for music, is there?
People against Bob Dylan winning wrote:The Nobel should go to some obscure artist who could really use the newfound fame and money. Bob Dylan is already famous and rich. Why should he get the prize and not someone else?
Because the Nobel Prize is (or at least should be) awarded to the person who is the best in the field in the eyes of the committee, not the person who needs it the most. The will of Alfred Nobel states that the Nobel Prize in literature is to be awarded to the writer who has produced "in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction". Imagine if music critics sorted their "top albums of the year" lists in this way. Popular artists who deserve the accolades (such as David Bowie or Beyoncé, this year) would never win, while less deserving artists would beat them out time and time again.
People against Bob Dylan winning wrote:This is outrageous. A singer winning the Nobel Prize in literature? Bob Dylan in 2016, Katy Perry in 2066, am I right guys?
Bob Dylan has frequently been cited as among the greatest lyricists of all time. Saying that his win opens the door for someone like Katy Perry to win is like saying Hemingway winning the prize for writing novels has further legitimized a possible win by Dan Brown or Stephanie Meyer.

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by mat.bez.lima » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:27 pm

I believe also that one of the main motives of so much criticism about Bob Dylan is that old criticism and prejudices with the popular and mass culture, because the Nobel prize of literature is considered as a prize for the "high", "cult" and "elite art". The Nobel prize was really vanguardist in this decision of award Bob Dylan and it would be unexpected that, especially the traditional and conservator, public of literature wouldn't be revolted.
User of RYM #507651

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by mat.bez.lima » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:30 pm

KingQueenKnave made a great commentarie in Rate Your Music that I will post below:

What is the big deal about this? I
can't profess to being a massive
fan of Bob Dylan, but his lyrics
are incredible, and have had
undeniable influence on others.
You can read his lyrics on their
own and they'd still hold up.
User of RYM #507651

User avatar
Honorio
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2658
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:38 am
Location: L'Eliana, Valencia, Spain

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Honorio » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:29 pm

I'm absolutely happy to hear these news. In my opinion the prize is absolutely deserved. And, as Matski mentioned before, it's amazing that this prize came after almost two months of intensive immersion in Dylan catalog. In my case I listened to his whole discography (yes, including his collaborations and the 18 CDs of the "Cutting Edge Collector's Edition") in reverse chronological order (from 2016 to 1962) thanks to the information provided by this page. I feel like I'm being rewarded too.

About the reactions of people and media on the prize some quick reflections:

- I'm perversely delighted to see that the prize generated some controversy. If the prize had been received with universal praise it would have been the ultimate evidence of the canonization and assimilation of Rock, removing its last remnants of subversion. It's refreshing to see that the fact that Rock lyrics can be considered poetry can still raise some eyebrows. Because it's obvious to me that Dylan lyrics are poetry and (please let me disagree, Dexter) with a lot of substance even when read.

- Nick said it perfectly: "Who's to say that songwriting can't be literature though? Songwriting, is obviously, creative writing. There's no monolithic idea of what literature is or isn't either." Of course, the division of literature on novel, poetry, drama and essay is outdated right now. Some comic books are worthy of literature prizes, in fact Art Spiegelman won the Pulitzer Prize with "Maus." And why a screenwriter has to be considered not as worthy as a playwright? It should depend on the quality of the works itself, not on the form or the medium.

- One criticism I can't understand is about Dylan not deserving the prize for being famous (but again Nick counteracted it perfectly before). But, come on, Dylan is a kind of anti-celebrity, he spent his whole life trying to run away for being blindly adored. In his own words: "Eventually different anachronisms were thrust upon me- anachronisms of a lesser dilemma- though they might seem bigger. Legend, Icon, Enigma (Buddha in European clothes was my favourite)- stuff like that, but that was all right. These title were placid and harmless, threadbare, easy to get around with them. Prophet, Messiah, Saviour- those are the tough ones."

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by mat.bez.lima » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:06 pm

The literature is still much conservatory. Fictional stories, without at least a good amount of clearly real place, social critics and time, as are fantasy and science fiction, are still oficially classified as sub-literature and aren't aborded in schools.

Now, do you think we are being much Black or White in our opinions about Nobel prize for Bob Dylan? I feel a lack of a "middle" opinion to direcr better my own opinion. But tough all this polarization, there are still many of these polarized opinions that have very good arguments and that are very good and interesting opinions.
User of RYM #507651

User avatar
Dexter
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 am

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Dexter » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Honorio wrote:Dylan lyrics are poetry and (please let me disagree, Dexter) with a lot of substance even when read.
I'm not saying his lyrics/poetry have little substance, maybe it's better to quote an article to express my thoughts. A Telegraph writer weighed in with an essay titled "A World That Gives Bob Dylan a Nobel Prize is a World That Nominates Trump for President." In it, he argues that though Dylan is a great folk artist, the Nobel should not be awarded based on what the public likes, but on "ability matched by idealism. Dylan has both, but his body of work falls far short of that produced by past winners: Yeats, Gide, O'Neill, Solzhenitsyn, etc. The scale of their output and the thematic density of their texts outstrips Dylan by light years."
Now, I agree with what the writer wrote except that Dylan did not earn the award by his poetry(aka lyrics) alone. He earned it because he made great (not otherworldly) poetry even when limited by structures and conventions of popular music and in the process reintroduces (Homer did it first) us to the concept that music can also be treated as literature.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2055
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Harold » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Dexter wrote:A Telegraph writer weighed in with an essay titled "A World That Gives Bob Dylan a Nobel Prize is a World That Nominates Trump for President."
Any writer who gives a title like that to an article, in my opinion, automatically invalidates any point he might be trying to make. Ridiculous and laughable.

User avatar
nicolas
Moderator
Posts: 1405
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Paris area, France

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by nicolas » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:09 pm

Very good decision. Now the Nobel Prize jury génération likes rock

User avatar
Listyguy
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2222
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Listyguy » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:25 pm

Harold wrote:
Dexter wrote:A Telegraph writer weighed in with an essay titled "A World That Gives Bob Dylan a Nobel Prize is a World That Nominates Trump for President."
Any writer who gives a title like that to an article, in my opinion, automatically invalidates any point he might be trying to make. Ridiculous and laughable.
I agree it's a pretty silly thing to get upset about, and it's not like the Nobel Prize hasn't made worse decisions (although I think Dylan was a great decision). I mean, the Peace Prize has been given to the likes of Yasser Arafat and Henry Kissinger.

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:08 pm

I can't resist responding to just one more criticism of Bob Dylan's Nobel win...
People against Bob Dylan winning wrote:Alright, you've made your case that playwriting and songwriting are similar. Both are mediums that lose something when they're removed from their performances. But that still doesn't make songwriting literature. You want to know why? Because the amount of people experiencing plays by reading them (as a percentage of the total amount of people experiencing plays) is much, much higher than the amount of people experiencing Bob Dylan songs by reading out the lyrics (as a percentage of the total amount of people experiencing Bob Dylan songs). Plays are commonly read, song lyrics aren't.
While it's true that plays are commonly read as opposed to seen, and it's true that song lyrics are commonly listened to as opposed to being read (though the fact that Bob Dylan has several published books of song lyrics means that at least some good number of people are reading them), that still doesn't mean that there's anything inherent in songwriting that makes it not literature.

All that this comes down to are the technological limitations of the medium. Anyone with an internet connection or an mp3 player or a radio can experience a Bob Dylan song. As I type this on my laptop, it would take me a grand total of five seconds to stop what I'm doing and queue up "Blonde on Blonde". Plays on the other hand, are much, much harder to experience. First, you need money, and oftentimes a good deal of it. Then, you need to live in an area where plays come around often. Easy when you're in Manhattan, a bit harder when you're living out in the country. Then you actually need to get to the play, and of course, there's the fact that plays aren't being performed at your local venue continuously, you actually need to wait, sometimes a great deal of time, to see the play you wish to see. Long story short, it's much easier to pick up a copy of "Hamlet" at your local bookstore and read that than wait for tickets to "Hamlet" to become available at your closest theater. If we could beam plays into our living rooms with the same ease that we throw on "Like a Rolling Stone", then you can be certain that the amount of plays read would decline. So there's really nothing in songwriting that makes it inherently "less literary" than playwriting. All it comes down to is the technology available.

User avatar
Duncan Thaw
Start Me Up
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:53 pm
Location: Scotland, UK

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Duncan Thaw » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:32 pm

prosecutorgodot wrote:

1. [An author] also begged to know if writer Don De Lillo had been inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll hall of fame yet.
This was the first one that stuck out to me, as it does seem like a double standard. Musicians can win Literature awards, but authors can't win Music awards.
This is a pretty sturdy argument.

To me, that's no more sturdy an argument than "why can Paralympic athletes be nominated for Athlete of the Year (or Sports Personality of the Year in the UK) but non-disabled athletes can't be nominated for Para-Athlete of the Year?"
"I may not hope from outward forms to win/The passion and the life, whose fountains are within."

User avatar
prosecutorgodot
Full of Fire
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by prosecutorgodot » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:47 pm

DuncanThaw wrote:
To me, that's no more sturdy an argument than "why can Paralympic athletes be nominated for Athlete of the Year (or Sports Personality of the Year in the UK) but non-disabled athletes can't be nominated for Para-Athlete of the Year?"
Are you saying musicians deserve a handicap? For what reason would you say that?

User avatar
BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3301
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by BleuPanda » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:18 pm

prosecutorgodot wrote:
DuncanThaw wrote:
To me, that's no more sturdy an argument than "why can Paralympic athletes be nominated for Athlete of the Year (or Sports Personality of the Year in the UK) but non-disabled athletes can't be nominated for Para-Athlete of the Year?"
Are you saying musicians deserve a handicap? For what reason would you say that?

That's not what he's saying, at all...

All Paralympic athletes are athletes; not all athletes are Paralympic athletes. Similarly, all song-writers are writers, but not all writers are song-writers.

User avatar
prosecutorgodot
Full of Fire
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area, California

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by prosecutorgodot » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:15 pm

BleuPanda wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
DuncanThaw wrote:
To me, that's no more sturdy an argument than "why can Paralympic athletes be nominated for Athlete of the Year (or Sports Personality of the Year in the UK) but non-disabled athletes can't be nominated for Para-Athlete of the Year?"
Are you saying musicians deserve a handicap? For what reason would you say that?

That's not what he's saying, at all...

All Paralympic athletes are athletes; not all athletes are Paralympic athletes. Similarly, all song-writers are writers, but not all writers are song-writers.
I was sort of taking the side of being devil's advocate, because I can see why someone might not agree with you. Personally, I think I would agree. I think for Bob Dylan's case, which is a special case, it is hardly arguable. But for other artists, it is a valid question whether you can consider them "writers," whether you agree with the opposing point of view or not.

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by mat.bez.lima » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:34 pm

User of RYM #507651

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:09 pm

mat.bez.lima wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... hat-nomin/
What do you think about this text?
A complete waste of time. I think I've defended Dylan's win to the best of my ability in this thread. I don't think an article this idiotic deserves its own response other than the one I'm giving now.

mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by mat.bez.lima » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:40 pm

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/op ... re&referer
«Yes, Mr. Dylan is a brilliant lyricist. Yes, he has
written a book of prose poetry and an
autobiography. Yes, it is possible to analyze his
lyrics as poetry. But Mr. Dylan’s writing is
inseparable from his music. He is great because
he is a great musician, and when the Nobel
committee gives the literature prize to a
musician, it misses the opportunity to honor a
writer».
What do you think about this?
User of RYM #507651

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2947
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Rob » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:58 pm

Though I think it is good that a Nobel Prize gets people discussing, I am somewhat annoyed by the fact that such a large group of people don't see Dylan's writing as actual writing. Sure, he writes poetry to sing them, but he still writes poetry. Whether it's the best poetry written by any poet alive is up for debate, but simply trying to wave Dylan away because he puts his writing to music seems like an arrogant fallacy and even a nonsensical argument. Poetry has existed in many forms since it's conception. People have already mentioned Homer and his Illiad and Odyssey, but we can even look closer to our era. In this age, poets still orate their poetry, very frequently. I've experienced many a poem this way.

Besides, I've always found the combination of poetry and music natural, as many poems tend to be very musical by nature. I'm kind of curious, by the way why every example given about someone who should have one the prize instead of Dylan is a novelist and never a poet. On the other hand, I haven't exactly read every reaction.

Also, there seems to be a big fear that now the floodgates are opened and now songwriters will get the prize many years to come. I highly doubt it. Dylan is really an exception, because the exceptional quality and huge quantity of his output, as well as his pioneering of a new way to express poetry. Personally I can think of only two songwriters with as much literary talent as Dylan and these are Leonard Cohen and Joanna Newsom. I doubt Cohen is going to get it and Newsom has to prove herself for a few more decades. As much as I love the writing of Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon and others, they don't seem Nobel candidates to me and shouldn't be.

By the way, I have read my share of Nobel Prize winning writers and I don't think Dylan is lesser than them.

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:47 am

mat.bez.lima wrote:http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/op ... re&referer
«Yes, Mr. Dylan is a brilliant lyricist. Yes, he has
written a book of prose poetry and an
autobiography. Yes, it is possible to analyze his
lyrics as poetry. But Mr. Dylan’s writing is
inseparable from his music. He is great because
he is a great musician, and when the Nobel
committee gives the literature prize to a
musician, it misses the opportunity to honor a
writer».
What do you think about this?
This is probably the argument that holds the most weight to me, but even so I'm still not convinced. If lyricism is inseparable from music, and therefore not literature, then are plays not literature because they're also inseparable from their performances?

User avatar
Dexter
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 752
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 am

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Dexter » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:55 am

Here are some of Dylan’s most inspiring and powerful lyrics, proving he deserved the Nobel prize
source: http://elitedaily.com/news/8-powerful-b ... e/1658265/

“The Times They Are A-Changin”
Come senators, congressmen please heed the call
Don’t stand in the doorway don’t block up the hall
For he that gets hurt will be he who has stalled
There’s a battle outside and it’s ragin’

Come mothers and fathers throughout the land
And don’t criticize what you can’t understand
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin’
Please get out of the new one if you can’t lend your hand
For the times they are a’ changin’!

“Blowin’ In The Wind”
How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
..Yes, and how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they’re forever banned?
…Yes, and how many years can some people exist
Before they’re allowed to be free?
Yes, and how many times can a man turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn’t see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind
The answer is blowin’ in the wind

“Masters of War”
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul

“A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall”
I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin’
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin’
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it’s a hard, it’s a hard, it’s a hard, and it’s a hard
It’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

“Like A Rolling Stone”
When you ain’t got nothing, you got nothing to lose
You’re invisible now, you’ve got no secrets to conceal
How does it feel, ah how does it feel?
To be on your own, with no direction home
Like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone

“Shelter From The Storm”
‘Twas in another lifetime, one of toil and blood
When blackness was a virtue and the road was full of mud
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form
‘Come in,’ she said, ‘I’ll give you shelter from the storm’

“Mr. Tambourine Man”
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea
Circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate
Driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow

“Subterranean Homesick Blues”
You don’t need a weather man
To know which way the wind blows

...except for the last set of lyrics, the article has a point

User avatar
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2947
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize for Literature!

Post by Rob » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:20 am

My favourite lines, from It's All Right Ma (I'm Only Bleeding):

You lose yourself, you reappear
You suddenly find you got nothing to fear
Alone you stand, with nobody near
When a trembling distant voice, unclear
Startles your sleeping ears to hear
That somebody thinks
They really found you

Not quite as famous as many other Dylan lines, but they give me the chills every time.

Post Reply