"Acclaimed" Wedding Songs

Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

"Acclaimed" Wedding Songs

Post by Listyguy »

This is quite a random topic, but I'm kind of curious as to what kind of songs our forumers used as their first dance at their weddings. I'm 20 so I'm not asking for any kind of "necessity" reason, but I'd certainly like to know, since you all have such great taste in music!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: "Acclaimed" Wedding Songs

Post by Kingoftonga »

My wife and I went back and forth a lot on this one before the wedding. All the songs that we liked and that were meaningful to us in some way were either not great songs for dancing or completely lyrically inappropriate for a wedding. We ended up going with "Gospel" by the National, which is a good slow song with enough solemnity for the occasion and lyrics cryptic enough that you can interpret it however you'd like. Plus, one of our first dates was to a National concert, so it seemed fitting.

Our processional was Sufjan Stevens' "Heirloom" and our recessional was TV on the Radio's "Lazerray."
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

"Sweet Thing" by Van Morrison has always seemed like the ultimate walking down the aisle song.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

For your wedding I would advice Get Here by Oleta Adams: "You can reach me on an airplane..."

For your divorce you can use John Denver's Leaving on a Jet Plane.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I have always joked that my partner and I would 'dance' to Work It by Missy Elliot. It was the first song that I convinced him to enjoy as much as I do.

I think we could make it work.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Not at all acclaimed, but it was a nice little Country/Pop song from the '80s: "I'll Still Be Loving You" by Restless Heart.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I got married this summer and my first dance was "Be My Baby." I have no idea why this song isn't a more popular first dance choice (in fact, I've never heard of anyone else using it for a first dance). It's a timeless, popular songs with perfect lyrics for the situation (we also considered "God Only Knows", but the first line disqualifies it; we did use it as a slow dance during the reception). The only disadvantage with "Be My Baby" is it has a somewhat difficult beat to dance to for people who don't know how to dance (aka, my wife and I).

I chose "This Will Be Our Year" by The Zombies for the walking-down-the-aisle song. I had pictured that song being involved in my wedding day for years. For our entry into the reception, we used "Gonna Fly Now" (aka the Rocky song), which provided an amazingly epic moment.

Elvis's "Can't Help Falling in Love" is another great pick for first dance. I've also been to recent weddings that used Johnny Cash's "Walk the Line" and Postal Service's "Such Great Heights", which I thought were interesting choices.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Somewhere back in the dawn of time, we chose Neil Innes' (of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and The Rutles) "Spontaneous".
The champagne was Canadian
The hostess sang a song
I contemplated suicide
Then you came along...
It's a wonder I stayed married as long as I did. :whistle:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Not an acclaimed song, but off an acclaimed album. "Continuous Thunder" by Japandroids has always sounded like the ultimate "walking down the aisle while sporting a leather jacket, nose ring, and mohawk" song.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Songs I know we've been considering for our wedding:
"First Day of My Life" by Bright Eyes
"Into My Arms" by Nick Cave
"Do You Realize??" by The Flaming Lips
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

If I were to get married my first instinct would be:

The Magnetic Fields - The Book Of Love
jimmyj
Strange Fruit

Post by jimmyj »

Our wedding song was "Faithfully" by Journey. I actually picked it. I always thought it was a beautiful song.

We joke that our divorce song is "Separate Ways" by Journey. Lol

And our neighbor says our theme song should be "Don't Stop Believin"

I guess you could say our marriage is one big Journey??
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

jimmyj wrote:Our wedding song was "Faithfully" by Journey. I actually picked it. I always thought it was a beautiful song.

:character-cookiemonster:
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

It's been some years since I got married (just celebrated our 16th in fact).

Our first dance was Chet Baker's "Time After Time", a shared favorite. Other music used:

Bach - "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (for coming down the aisle -- yes, a bit of a cliché, but it's Bach and therefore hard to f wit)
Van Morrison - "Have I Told You Lately" (bride and dad first dance)
Ella & Louis - "Love Is Here to Stay" (groom and mom first dance)
Queen - "You're My Best Friend" (wedding party first dance)
Stravinsky - Firebird Finale (wedding party entrance to the reception ... my prog fan buddies liked that we started the reception the same way as Yessongs, but were miffed we didn't go straight into "Siberian Khatru")

To top it all off, since it was 2000 and CDs were still the medium of choice, we burned all of the songs onto CDs, made a CD booklet with thank yous and pictures, put guest names and table number on the cover, and had those be a combination table card and gift. IMO, beats a handful of chocolate in a lace pouf anyday.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

jimmyj wrote:Our wedding song was "Faithfully" by Journey. I actually picked it. I always thought it was a beautiful song.

This brings back memories. "Faithfully" was the song one of my first girlfriends and I danced to the night we met. After that, she signed every letter to me, "Forever yours faithfully."

She broke up with me a week later. I guess when you're 16, "forever" is a considerably shorter period of time...
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Our first real first dance was "Flying Without Wings" by Westlife (I know, but it's my wife's favourite song).

However, our last wedding dance was "One Day Like This" by Elbow, which everyone appreciated.
AnthonySmith
Superunknown

Post by AnthonySmith »

My sister choose Better Together as her first dance song when she got married last year at this beautiful place over here in Florida and it was perfect for the occasion! She then followed it up with a medley of some old classics.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

When I (hopefully) get married, I want it to be a funky wedding. First dance choice would probably be Bruno Mars' "Treasure."
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

The last wedding I went to was my brother's and his first dance was an uncommon choice: Monsoons by Puscifer. His dance with my mom was Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day, and his bride's dance with her father was Dare You to Move by Switchfoot. The song that got everyone onto the dancefloor was I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers.
digifuwill
Are You Experienced?

Post by digifuwill »

Jirin wrote:If I were to get married my first instinct would be:

The Magnetic Fields - The Book Of Love
The first time I heard this song was at my cousin's wedding. He read the lyrics as part of his vows and they played it shortly afterward as we all walked over to the reception area.

My wife and I chose Stevie's Ribbon In The Sky.

Eno's The Big Ship was played when she walked down the aisle.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

I'm 30, so I went to a ton of weddings last year, and I think it's safe to say that Single Ladies is THE official bouquet tossing song now.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”