The Beat;es - Yesterday and Today

Huangal70
Wannabe

The Beat;es - Yesterday and Today

Post by Huangal70 »

Anyone else think it's odd that this album is included on Acclaimed Music as it is one of the bastardised Capitol albums which are non-neccessary since the Beatles catalogue was standardised to the British albums in the 80s?
Might it not be better to count list placings for this album with those for Rubber Soul or Revolver, with which most of the overlap is. It just seems odd all the other American albums are paired with their respective British release and this one isnt.
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: The Beat;es - Yesterday and Today

Post by Harold »

Jap123 wrote:Anyone else think it's odd that this album is included on Acclaimed Music as it is one of the bastardised Capitol albums which are non-neccessary since the Beatles catalogue was standardised to the British albums in the 80s?
Might it not be better to count list placings for this album with those for Rubber Soul or Revolver, with which most of the overlap is. It just seems odd all the other American albums are paired with their respective British release and this one isnt.
It does seem odd to see Y&T listed here - there are actually several Capitol releases for which there aren't more-or-less analogous British equivalents (The Beatles' Second Album, Beatles VI, and Hey Jude come to mind), but Y&T is the only one included on Acclaimed Music, and I've always wondered a little about that. I do know that counting it with Rubber Soul or Revolver is NOT the solution, as those albums very much have a specific identity no matter the configuration.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Jap123 wrote:Might it not be better to count list placings for this album with those for Rubber Soul or Revolver, with which most of the overlap is.
No.
Harold wrote:there are actually several Capitol releases for which there aren't more-or-less analogous British equivalents (The Beatles' Second Album, Beatles VI, and Hey Jude come to mind)
"Hey Jude" is a compilation.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Track-by-track, Yesterday and Today features:

1. "Drive My Car" from Rubber Soul
2. "I'm Only Sleeping" (alternate mix), from then unreleased Revolver
3. "Nowhere Man" from Rubber Soul
4. "Doctor Robert" (alternate mix), from then unreleased Revolver
5. "Yesterday" from Help!
6. "Act Naturally" from Help!
7. "And Your Bird Can Sing" from then unreleased Revolver
8. "If I Needed Someone" from Rubber Soul
9. "We Can Work It Out" not on album
10. "What Goes On" from Rubber Soul
11. "Day Tripper" not on album

If it was not for the fact that the Revolver tracks were unreleased at the time, the album would be bordering heavily on the compilation status (which it does anyway). One thing's for sure, it would be irrelevant to credit its points to either Rubber Soul or Revolver, as the tracks are very spread out from these albums, with only a slight edge for Rubber Soul.

Interestingly, Henrik released in a topic earlier this year the spreadsheet with all the albums that were ever on critics' all-time lists, and another Capitol album appears isolated from any UK counterpart in it: Something New, which was basically made of the remaining A Hard Day's Night tracks which didn't make the American version of the album. What a mess.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”