ACCLAIMED MUSIC'S UNOFFICIAL UPDATE 2016

Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: ACCLAIMED MUSIC'S INOFFICIAL UPDATE 2016

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Henrik, will the positions for the inofficial update be included on the spreadsheet for next year's update?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Henrik, will the positions for the inofficial update be included on the spreadsheet for next year's update?
Since this update is "inofficial" in nature, I would guess that when the "actual" update occurs these positions would not be included.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Harold wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Henrik, will the positions for the inofficial update be included on the spreadsheet for next year's update?
Since this update is "inofficial" in nature, I would guess that when the "actual" update occurs these positions would not be included.
I agree with Harold. Especially since the 3000+ new songs weren't added, of which maybe 1000 songs would be in the top 6000.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik wrote:Especially since the 3000+ new songs weren't added, of which maybe 1000 songs would be in the top 6000.
Wow! :o
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruno wrote:
Henrik wrote:Especially since the 3000+ new songs weren't added, of which maybe 1000 songs would be in the top 6000.
That's just a guess.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Henrik wrote:
Harold wrote:
I agree with Harold. Especially since the 3000+ new songs weren't added, of which maybe 1000 songs would be in the top 6000.
That makes sense. The reason I asked is because I'm making an Apple Music playlist based on the inofficial update, and a spreadsheet comparing its rankings with next year's rankings would make updating it much easier.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik wrote:
Bruno wrote:
That's just a guess.
Even below is an impressive number.

Henrik, Am will have over 13k songs next year?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron, that's cool. Then I will make sure you get the comparison. Is it for the all-time songs list? If it's ok with you, maybe I could publish it on AM's home page, alongside the Spotify list?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruno: yes
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Henrik wrote:Sweepstakes Ron, that's cool. Then I will make sure you get the comparison. Is it for the all-time songs list? If it's ok with you, maybe I could publish it on AM's home page, alongside the Spotify list?
Yeah, that's fine. But I may make an alternate version for that purpose because there are some instances where songs may need to be replaced for the public version. For example, the version of "Wuthering Heights" on Apple Music is shortened, so I used a local file with the full version in its place. But for the public version, I would probably use the version that's already on Apple Music.

For the record, I've gotten up to about 920 right now. I'll let you know when it's finished.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Henrik wrote:Sweepstakes Ron, that's cool. Then I will make sure you get the comparison. Is it for the all-time songs list? If it's ok with you, maybe I could publish it on AM's home page, alongside the Spotify list?
Yeah, that's fine. But I may make an alternate version for that purpose because there are some instances where songs may need to be replaced for the public version. For example, the version of "Wuthering Heights" on Apple Music is shortened, so I used a local file with the full version in its place. But for the public version, I would probably use the version that's already on Apple Music.

For the record, I've gotten up to about 920 right now. I'll let you know when it's finished.
That's great! And I would definitely use it even if it's not complete. If you get tired and stop at, say top 1000, that would be awesome as well.

If each song on Apple Music has a URI that can be copied to Excel and back I could just re-sort the spreadsheet based on a new ranking. When the list of URIs is pasted back into Apple Music the new playlist is done! That's what I do with my Spotify list, with the help of spotlistr.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik wrote: If each song on Apple Music has a URI that can be copied to Excel and back I could just re-sort the spreadsheet based on a new ranking. When the list of URIs is pasted back into Apple Music the new playlist is done! That's what I do with my Spotify list, with the help of spotlistr.
What's "spotlistr"?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Some pretty impressive gains for Bjork, Kendrick Lamar, Sufjan Stevens, Sleater-Kinney and Joanna Newsom. Really sad to see Pavement, imo one of the best bands of the 90s, leaving the top 100. On the other hand, Wilco as the #40 album artists of all time, ahead of such bonafide legends as Arcade Fire, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and the Pixies, is very nice as a fan.

Thank you for all of your hard work, Henrik!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon wrote:Some pretty impressive gains for Bjork, Kendrick Lamar, Sufjan Stevens, Sleater-Kinney and Joanna Newsom. Really sad to see Pavement, imo one of the best bands of the 90s, leaving the top 100. On the other hand, Wilco as the #40 album artists of all time, ahead of such bonafide legends as Arcade Fire, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and the Pixies, is very nice as a fan.

Thanks Jonathon! But your comment seems to be a bit of wishful thinking... Is it, as a fan, allowed to divide a placement by 2? :whistle: ;)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Ooh thanks for this Henrik!
Kendrick jumped really high! I will let people witness the magic with their own eyes *wink* I'm nearly tearing up with happiness.
Wow, didn't expect to see Tame Impala there, either. The band/project is good, but I dunno about THAT high...
WHOOHOO SANTANA TOP 200!!!
About time Bee Gees entered the top 300.
Other jumps in the upper tiers: Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Tom Petty, Grimes, Drake,...
70s, 80s mainstream heavy metal got a big push.
Jumps in the lower tiers (congratulations are in order): Julia Holter, Father John Misty, The Weeknd, Alabama Shakes, Kamasi Washington,...
arnaud
Let's Get It On

Post by arnaud »

Henrik, do you know how many of these 3000 new songs will appear in the top 1000? in the top 100?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

arnaud wrote:
Henrik, do you know how many of these 3000 new songs will appear in the top 1000? in the top 100?
Probably none in the top 1000, although it's certainly possible. However, there's absolutely no way a "new" song will enter the top 100. Was that a joke?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

In next year's update, there's a chance for a 2016 song to enter the top 100, like "Get Lucky" did in the 2014 update. But if so, that song is not part of the 3000 songs that are now known to be added.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

I was daydreaming about this earlier.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik wrote:
Jonathon wrote:Some pretty impressive gains for Bjork, Kendrick Lamar, Sufjan Stevens, Sleater-Kinney and Joanna Newsom. Really sad to see Pavement, imo one of the best bands of the 90s, leaving the top 100. On the other hand, Wilco as the #40 album artists of all time, ahead of such bonafide legends as Arcade Fire, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy and the Pixies, is very nice as a fan.

Thanks Jonathon! But your comment seems to be a bit of wishful thinking... Is it, as a fan, allowed to divide a placement by 2? :whistle: ;)
LOL Hey, I said ALBUM ARTIST, and they are in fact #40. Also when your favorite band is one of the greatest album artists of all time, and the #6,982,457 song artist, you tend to pick and choose. :mrgreen:. My personal hope for Wilco has actually always been that they eventually pass The White Stripes. That goal is in no better/ worse shape than it was last year. Four rank distance. It's an uphill battle though given Wilco doesn't play particularly well in the British market.

Other notes/ future predictions:

- This update didn't seem to have the huge jumps and dips that previous updates did. I know the formula changed up a bit recently to accommodate more albums/ songs into the ranking. Outside of some jumps, a lot of artists seemed to uniformly deflate. There aren't the precipitous drops and gains of a few years ago for inactive artists/ artists who are past their prime. Specifically a lot of modern artists (from say the last 20 years) just seemed to deflate uniformly.

- I still marvel a bit about how the last major changes sunk artists like Nick Drake, Pavement, etc, and built the rankings of The Cure, Tom Waits and Nick Cave. 9 albums/ 9 songs over 6 albums/ 6 songs has really changed the playing field. It's strange to say this about the second highest ranked new artist of the New Millennium, but by the old standards, AF would be even higher than they are.

Even though the changes hurt some of my favorite artists, I agree with them. A rich legacy is more important to me than a few really hot songs/ albums. Nick Cave might not have an all-time classic on the level of a Funeral or an Illinois, but I have gotten more out of him than most artists, due to his depth.

- Love Neil Young at 6. His song ranking finally started to catch up to his albums over the last few years. I remember when he used to be ranked below Nirvana and The Clash.

- The same year that Radiohead releases another great album, putting them in the conversation of taking the #4 album spot from David Bowie, Bowie released Blackstar. What an album. I imagine once Blackstar is factored in, Bowie will never drop below #4 album artist again, and with his single ranking solidifed. Bowie's going nowhere.

- Radiohead dropped a few rankings, but with Moon-Shaped Pool's great reception, I see them tying up the #6 album ranking possibly for good, the same way The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, and Miles Davis have firmly established their album rankings. Their song ranking is always going to hurt them a bit in the legitimate top tier. Their song ranking is great for an artist with far fewer legitimate radio hits than Bruce Springsteen, but I don't ever see them finding a solid foothold in the top 10 song artists. I'm not sure what that will mean for them overall. Permanent #5? Permanent #6 or 7? I think they will eventually solidify their rating.

- Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time Pink Floyd has ever been in the top 20 artists.

- With Skeleton Tree as our top Megacritic album of the year, and the album finding footing/ popularity with critics who tend to shy away from Nick Cave, I think the post 2016 year end update will be huge for him. Already the #39 artist of all time, based solely on consistency and slow burn, a legitimate Masterpiece would be some what akin to artists like The Beach Boys, Wilco, and Blur, who have a single album that raises their album artist ranking tremendously. The thing is with Cave already at #26, he could possibly pass into the teens for album artist, and a new song of any merit could put him in the top 60 song artists.

- Kendrick Lamar will be a top 50 artist of all time by decade's end. To Pimp a Butterfly is the highest initial entry on this site since Return to Cookie Mountain (Although that one didn't fair too well long term, did it?), Good Kid Maad City is also on an upward trajectory. With Untitled. Unmastered set to perform admirably this year, and at least 1-2 more albums to come given his typical release schedule, Kendrick might wind up being the only legitimate "new legend" of the 10s.

- Carrie and Lowell finally ends Sufjan Stevens One Album wonder status, and propels him into the top 100 of all-time. I always felt Age of Adz and Michigan were a little underrated, and that he should've already been there. Better late than never though.

- Licking my lips at the possibility of an album expansion in a few years. The Flaming Lips have 4 bubblers, and those would fit oh, so nicely into rankings that would (hopefully) propel them into a permanent top 100 artist position.

- Odd seeing Pearl Jam gain so much footing, at a time where they seem to be losing a lot of their critical cache. Pearl Jam has always been a band that was too big to completely fall off the radar.

- It's equally odd for me to see the Grateful Dead out of the top 100, which they've been for several years. They have a cult status in the United States that's really hard to describe to people who aren't from here. It's just something you grow up understanding. Dead heads are an entire subculture, and even though that doesn't translate necessarily to critical acclaim, I kind of grew up viewing them as top tier legends.

- At 32 years old, I'm feeling like I'm now at the age where I've legitimately watched Legends built over time, and it's very cool seeing that reflected on acclaimedmusic. Radiohead, Kanye, Arcade Fire, Bjork, Beck, PJ Harvey, LCD Soundsystem, Daft Punk, The White Stripes, Wilco, Kendrick Lamar, The Arctic Monkeys (Ugh), and Sufjan Stevens are all top 100 artists that I've known about, or listened to since the beginning of their runs, and it's really exciting watching music history being made, and watching legacies cemented. Acclaimed music is really the ultimate way to observe this trend for me. So thank you always, Henrick.
smhoax
I'm New Here

Post by smhoax »

For some reason, I "do not have permission to view the files attached to this post". Is anybody else experiencing this? Would anyone out there be willing to post a readable-to-all version of the top 1000 albums? It would be so helpful and appreciated!
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

smhoax wrote:For some reason, I "do not have permission to view the files attached to this post". Is anybody else experiencing this? Would anyone out there be willing to post a readable-to-all version of the top 1000 albums? It would be so helpful and appreciated!
You need to register and log in to have permission to view the attachments.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

My treat!
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Ok, I know what I'll be doing tonight! I loved your video for the all-time poll list and still revisit it from time to time.

Thank you so much for these efforts, Sweepstakes Ron!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Wow Sweepstakes Ron, it's fantastic!!! :music-listening: :happy-partydance: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but I've been perusing AM for the past dozen years and have always enjoyed finding new music on here.

My favorite band is Pink Floyd, so it's nice to see One of These Days and Fearless join the list (and nice to see Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Echoes rise so dramatically), but I'm shocked Fearless made it before say, Hey You, Welcome to the Machine, or Run Like Hell. Also, I've talked to dozen of Floyd fans over the years, and I'm fairly certain I've never met anyone who would place See Emily Play as one of Floyd's top 10 songs, let alone their best song. Pink Floyd are an interesting case, as they have both Barrett and post-Barrett works well represented on this list, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed such a monumental disconnect between the fan favorites and critics' favorites of their favorite band? The same goes for Ummagumma; most Floyd fans consider it one of their worst albums, and yet it remains on this list, while an underrated gem like The Division Bell (1994) will likely never even achieve bubbling status.

In addition to country, I think it's fair to say that genres like metal, folk, reggae, and progressive rock (I'm biased, but apparently the genre disappeared after 1974) are underrepresented. It's also striking to compare the percentage of non-English language films on They Shoot Pictures to the percentage of non-English language songs and albums on AM. It's not Henrik's fault, but it's somewhat surprising when you consider the universal nature of music. I also wonder if pre-rock era music suffers because many lists don't consider it without explicitly stating so.

Anyways, keep up the great work Henrik! I've enjoyed branching out of my prog rock/classic rock comfort zone the last year as I've been making my way through the top 6000 songs and have found many new favorites.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

"You're the One That I Want" should be credited to John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Daniel wrote:"You're the One That I Want" should be credited to John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John.
It is already.

Also, if it was really an error, it should have been posted in the "Errors" thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2877&start=350

But since, as I said, you probably missed something, that's no big deal ;)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: ACCLAIMED MUSIC'S UNOFFICIAL UPDATE 2016

Post by StevieFan13 »

Impressed that "Get Lucky" is still just barely missing the top 50 (already the most critically-respected song of the decade - I'd have initially pinned it on "Rolling in the Deep" or "Ni**as in Paris"). And I'm glad the Smiths still have songs in the top 50.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wait, just looked at the list again - bummer. I liked Hey Ya being #30.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Hotline Bling is already #217? It's gotten enough critical plaudits in its year-and-a-half of existence to top the likes of Ring of Fire, Highway to Hell, and Stan? That seems a little off.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

StevieFan13 wrote:Hotline Bling is already #217? It's gotten enough critical plaudits in its year-and-a-half of existence to top the likes of Ring of Fire, Highway to Hell, and Stan? That seems a little off.
Assuming it's the highest acclaimed song of its year right now, I think its placement is fair enough. If in future years it continually fails to show up at all-time lists (which prolly largely it will), then its ranking will drop.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

PlasticRam wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Hotline Bling is already #217? It's gotten enough critical plaudits in its year-and-a-half of existence to top the likes of Ring of Fire, Highway to Hell, and Stan? That seems a little off.
Assuming it's the highest acclaimed song of its year right now, I think its placement is fair enough. If in future years it continually fails to show up at all-time lists (which prolly largely it will), then its ranking will drop.
Guess so. I imagine it'll be quite a drop, actually (the end-of-year lists are not always a great indicator of what the tally will look like by the end of the decade).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm predicting "Hotline Bling" as the lowest initial number one for the decade once we reach decade lists; but 2015 is a good enough year that hopefully a couple others overtake it.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

"Hotline Bling" is great, imo.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm not a huge Drake fan, but "Hotline Bling" is one that I particularly despise. I just find it annoying. "One Dance", "Know Yourself" and "Hold On We're Going Home" are good songs though.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Copied from viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4396&start=50#p65382:
Henrik wrote:After an album has been released it is usually not heralded as a "classic" until after a few years or so. When new albums don't appear in all-time lists (and even "decade so far" lists) they can't maintain their initial positions on AM. I am currently working on an adjustment to the formula to address this issue to some extent. This means that "To Pimp a Butterfly" will probably not be in the top 100 in the next site update, but rather somewhere near "good kid, m.A.A.d city".
This also means that "Hotline Bling" will most likely not be in the top 300 anymore.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Artists with more songs in AM (With unofficial update so far)

The Beatles 129
Bob Dylan 103
The Rolling Stones 97
David Bowie 65
Bruce Springsteen 62
Elvis Presley 57
Led Zeppelin 50
Neil Young 47
U2 47
Madonna 46
Radiohead 44
Prince 43
The Beach Boys 41
R.E.M. 39
Frank Sinatra 38
Bob Marley and The Wailers 35
The Clash 34
The Who 34
Elvis Costello 33
James Brown 33
Michael Jackson 32
Pink Floyd 31

The Kinks 29
Depeche Mode 28
Tom Waits 28
Stevie Wonder 27
Fleetwood Mac 26
Kanye West 26
Aretha Franklin 25
Marvin Gaye 25
Paul McCartney 25
Queen 25
AC/DC 24
Elton John 24
Jay-Z 24
John Lennon 24
Johnny Cash 24
New Order 24
The Smiths 24
Van Morrison 24
Björk 23
Blur 23
Leonard Cohen 23
Louis Armstrong 23
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 23
Nirvana 23
Oasis 23
Pet Shop Boys 23
Roxy Music 23
The Cure 23
The Velvet Underground 23
Chuck Berry 22
Duke Ellington 22
Dusty Springfield 22
The Doors 22
Joni Mitchell 21
Kate Bush 21
Ray Charles 21
Wilco 21
Aerosmith 20
Pearl Jam 20
Serge Gainsbourg 20
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Bruno, where are you getting these numbers? Take Pink Floyd for example. I only see 16 songs in the unofficial update, not 31. Am I misinterpreting what the numbers represent?
TVFan365
Strange Fruit

Post by TVFan365 »

Hey I was just wondering. Is the next update going to feature albums and songs from 2015 and 2016 or will it just be 2015?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

TVFan365 wrote:Hey I was just wondering. Is the next update going to feature albums and songs from 2015 and 2016 or will it just be 2015?
I believe the new update will be complete through 2016 (the EOY album and song spreadsheets are all but done now), and I think Henrik's goal was to try to finish it before the summer.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Godspeed Henrik, this update is highly anticipated. Can't wait to see the top 10 songs/albums of 2010s so far.

I wish you a speedy recovery bro
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

From the looks of it, the new lists will be a double-edged sword: I'm pretty sure there'll be an alt-rock/rap uptick, but the steady advancement of classic rock probably won't stop (certainly on the albums list).
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Hard work for Henrik especially for lots of lists last days. I hope he brings the update soon
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

I hope to come in March.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

filmman wrote:I hope to come in March.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Feel like this is the right thread to post this in. I've been thinking, given the recent spate of lists, about songs that stand a good chance of moving higher on the chart when the next update comes - maybe not by much, but I'd be shocked if they didn't move at all. I'm sure a lot of the established classics aren't hurting any, but I'm sure these songs (some of my personal favorites) will also get a boost.

The Cure | Just Like Heaven
The Cure | Pictures of You
David Bowie | Let's Dance
Foo Fighters | Everlong
Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out
Green Day | American Idiot
Green Day | Basket Case
Joy Division | Love Will Tear Us Apart (and it's already set to be in the top 10!)
Natalie Imbruglia | Torn
OutKast | Hey Ya!
Public Enemy | Fight the Power
Queen | Bohemian Rhapsody
The Smiths | How Soon is Now?
The Smiths | There is a Light That Never Goes Out
Tears for Fears | Everybody Wants to Rule the World

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”