The RYM Top 100 Extended Play Poll

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

The RYM Top 100 Extended Play Poll

Post by letmeintomyzone »

Dear AM users, I've toyed with this idea for a while, and I've kind of decided to do it, thanks to the positive encouragement of many on this website. I hope to find more extended plays using this poll, as I'm looking into listening to extended plays on the weekends (and unlike albums, there's not enough material to compile a site like AcclaimedMusic for extended plays). So, I'll be the headmeister for this poll, and I hope to get more help for this as I go along. Thanks to a poll I found in the other thread, here's some ground rules:

1. If more than half or all of the EP is material that essentially ended up on a album later, it's disqualified from being included on the list. For example, The Beach Boys's God Only Knows EP would not be eligible, due to all it's material ending up on Pet Sounds.
2. EPs that are consist of remixes or alternative versions of songs on albums will not be eligible here either.

Since The Beta Band's The Three EPs, which consists of their first 3 EPs, ended up on the 1000 Greatest Albums of All Time poll, the 3 EPs featured in the compilation, can't be voted for.

So, here's the idea, people vote on their top 10-20 EPs. Here's how the votes are considered.

1. 100 points
2. 95 points
3. 90 points
4. 85 points
5. 80 points
6. 75 points
7. 70 points
8. 65 points
9. 60 points
10. 55 points
11. 50 points
12. 45 points
13. 40 points
14. 35 points
15. 30 points
16. 25 points
17. 20 points
18. 15 points
19. 10 points
20. 5 points
Last edited by letmeintomyzone on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: The RYM Top 100 Extended Play Poll

Post by Nick »

Did any other EPs make it into our top 1000?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I haven't heard many, but I will put something together. My nominees are:

Alice in Chains - Sap; Jar of Flies
The Beatles - Long Tall Sally
Buzzcocks - Spiral Scratch
The Clean - Boodle Boodle Boodle
Fugazi - Fugazi; Margin Walker; 3 Songs
The Germs - Lexicon Devil
Husker Du - Metal Circus
Minor Threat - Minor Threat; In My Eyes; Salad Days
Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls, and Marches
Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff
Nine Inch Nails - Broken
Pavement - Slay Tracks (1933–1969); Demolition Plot J-7; Perfect Sound Forever; Watery, Domestic
Pylon - Pylon!!
R.E.M. - Chronic Town
The Residents - Duck Stab!; Buster & Glen
Slayer - Haunting the Chapel
Sonic Youth - Sonic Youth; Kill Yr Idols
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm guessing "Magical Mystery Tour" doesn't count?
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Nick wrote:I'm guessing "Magical Mystery Tour" doesn't count?
Since it was released as both a EP/LP, yes.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

letmeintomyzone wrote:
Nick wrote:I'm guessing "Magical Mystery Tour" doesn't count?
Since it was released as both a EP/LP, yes.
Makes sense to me.

Here are some other great EPs that haven't been mentioned in the thread...

Burial- Kindred
Burial- Rival Dealer
Girls- Broken Dreams Club
My Bloody Valentine- You Made Me Realise
Pixies- Come On Pilgrim
TNGHT- TNGHT
Todd Terje- It's the Arps
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Thrilled that we're finally getting to do this as a forum. And if we're putting forward some good EPs for an idea, I've got some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Boards of Canada - In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
Sharon Van Etten - I Don't Want to Let You Down
Jay Electronica - Act 1: Eternal Sunshine (The Pledge)
Mogwai - Mogwai
Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-é
Modest Mouse - Interstate 8
Modest Mouse - Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks
The Avalanches - El Producto
Julianna Barwick - Rosabi
Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy
Earl Sweatshirt - Solace
Angel Olsen - Strange Cacti
Last edited by acroamor on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I haven't listened to many EPS, but Janelle Monae's Metropolis: The Chase must be standout in some sense.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

IT's quite fun digging through those EPs, doesn't ask as much time as albums so I can browse one whenever I have a short spare time.

Let's not forget :
Robyn and Royksopp - Monument
Aphex Twin - Digeridoo
The Pogues - Poguetry in Motion
Arctic Monkeys - Who the Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys ?

Kindred will for sure by my number 1, but the biggest surprise is how much I like You Made Me Realise given how I dislike MBV albums.

Any recommendations on 80s house and disco EPs ? (or should most of them be considered singles ? )
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Here are some more interesting EPs that haven't been mentioned yet:

Lana Del Rey - Paradise (2012)
This was an addition to the reissue of Born to Die (The Paradise Edition), but also released as a separate EP. It opens with the dark ballad "Ride" and contains a cover of Blue Velvet.

Michelle Branch - Everything Comes and Goes (2010)
This was intended as an album, but after problems with her record company she released these six tracks as an EP. It has more country influence than her previous records.

Dire Straits - ExtendedancEPlay (1983) [aka Twisting by the Pool]
Between their two biggest albums of the eighties Dire Straits released this EP. It's more upbeat than their other releases, without their usual dark, lazy moods.

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Hidden Treasures (2004)
This was an extra to the live DVD Welcome to Sunny Florida. It was part of a web project called Scarlet's Web. The song "Apollo's Frock", one of her typical piano ballads, was written in the mid-90s.

Elton John - The Thom Bell Sessions (1979)
For this project Elton John worked together with Thom Bell, producer and songwriters for bands like The Stylistics and The Spinners. He was a representative of Philadelphia soul in the seventies.

Solange - True (2012)
Beyoncé's younger sister has her own style, in between neo soul and electropop. For this EP she worked together with British producer Dev Hynes. It contains her hit Losing You.

Eric Clapton - Edge of Darkness (1985) [soundtrack]
This is the instrumental soundtrack to the TV series. Clapton combined his bluesy solos with an eighties synthpop sound. The opening track is noteworthy.

FKA twigs - M3LL155X (2014)
This British singer has developed her own experimental style of electropop. She released a self-directed short film with it.

Florrie - Sirens (2014)
Florrie is a young British electropop singer. She has released four EPs but no albums. This fourth EP contains a remix of her hit Little White Lies. I like the opening track Seashells.

Cliff Richard - Serious Charge (1959) [soundtrack]
These four songs are the soundtrack to a 1959 film in which Cliff had a small role. It contains the original version of "Living Doll" - which would later be butchered by The Young Ones. It was his rock & roll period, when he tried to be the British Elvis.

Stefani - Red and Blue (2006)
This is what Stefani Germanotta sounded like before she invented her alter ego Lady Gaga. It was more rock than what she did later. It sounds a bit like Hole. And yes, she can sing.

Nirvana - Hormoaning (1991)
This was released in Japan and Australia only. It contains four live covers recorded for a Peel Session for BBC Radio 1, and two B-sides to Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Enya - Sounds of the Season: The Enya Collection (2006)
Enya recorded these new age versions of six Christmas standards. We Wish You a Merry Christmas works quite well, and it fits the December atmosphere.

Izzy Bizu - Coolbeanz (2013)
She's a young British singer-songwriter, a good live performer who' influenced by old school soul and jazz.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Cool to see some preliminary lists. I think there is going to be a lot of variety in our lists given that there has been so little discussion of EPs here and there is less of a public consensus about the best ones in the first place.

I've started a list here which includes several I have yet to hear but hope to explore before the deadline.
Last edited by Moonbeam on Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I have some eligibility questions about a few:

The Cure - The Walk

I consider Japanese Whispers a proper album but most (including the band) count it as a compilation. Based on that classification, this either counts or doesn't.

The Cure - Half an Octopuss and Prince - New Power Generation

These are a different class: they are like maxi singles with multiple B-sides, though at least half of the tracks are unique to these releases.

Tantra - The Hills of Katmandu and Tantra II: The Journey Continues

These are both 2-track releases where each track clocks in at over 15 minutes. So are they albums or EPs? RYM counts The Hills of Katmandu as an album but Tantra II as an EP. Discogs counts them both as albums, and the Disco Recharge collection of theirs that I have counts them as albums as well. However, if this is the case, what does the II stand for? Technically, if considered an album like the others, it would be their third. The first two releases (The Hills of Katmandu and the 6-track Mother Africa) were combined for release as The Double Album, complicating things further.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Moonbeam wrote:I have some eligibility questions about a few:

The Cure - The Walk

I consider Japanese Whispers a proper album but most (including the band) count it as a compilation. Based on that classification, this either counts or doesn't.
I agree that Japanese Whispers should count as a proper album. It contains three A-sides of recent singles, two B-sides and three new songs. The EP contains six of these eight songs. I wouldn't count it as original.

These are a different class: they are like maxi singles with multiple B-sides, though at least half of the tracks are unique to these releases.
They have more than 50% new material, so they probably count. However I would only vote for them if I really like that original material rather than just the hit.

These are both 2-track releases where each track clocks in at over 15 minutes. So are they albums or EPs? RYM counts The Hills of Katmandu as an album but Tantra II as an EP. Discogs counts them both as albums, and the Disco Recharge collection of theirs that I have counts them as albums as well. However, if this is the case, what does the II stand for? Technically, if considered an album like the others, it would be their third. The first two releases (The Hills of Katmandu and the 6-track Mother Africa) were combined for release as The Double Album, complicating things further.
I think The Hills of Katmandu doesn't count because the same songs are on The Double Album. The other is a single according to RYM.

You have a nice and long list on RYM!
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

bonnielaurel wrote:

The Cure - The Walk

I agree that Japanese Whispers should count as a proper album. It contains three A-sides of recent singles, two B-sides and three new songs. The EP contains six of these eight songs. I wouldn't count it as original.
That's kind of how I feel as well. I should probably go with the consensus, though - these songs are worth celebrating as either an album or an EP. If this forum discounts Japanese Whispers from consideration in album lists because it is deemed a compilation, maybe I should include it? Anyone else want to chime in?

They have more than 50% new material, so they probably count. However I would only vote for them if I really like that original material rather than just the hit.
Agreed. And yes, my favorite song on New Power Generation is definitely "Loveleft, Loveright" (it's my favorite Prince song from 1989-1991), and the Cure B-sides are right up there with "Close to Me" for me.

I think The Hills of Katmandu doesn't count because the same songs are on The Double Album. The other is a single according to RYM.
That's true about The Hills of Katmandu... if we count The Double Album as an album and not a compilation. It's tough with these rare italo artists: The Hills of Katmandu and Mother Africa were each released separately in Europe, Canada, and South America, and then The Double Album combined them for release in the US.

As far as the second case goes, RYM counts it as an EP: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/ta ... rot_suite/

It's a bit confusing as it was given different names in different countries according to discogs (which counts it as an album):

In Italy and Netherlands, it was called Tantra II, while in the US, it is called The Journey Continues: The Ma-Cum-Ba Suite / The Tarot Suite. In Greece, it is apparently referred to Macumba/A Place Called Tarot though the cover shows "Tantra II", and in France, it appears to be just Macumba, though there is a "Tantra II" on the front as well.

Confusing the matter further is that there are 12" singles with edits of "Macumba" and "A Place Called Tarot".

Leave it to italo disco to be so obscure that not only are many of its stars responsible for all of 2 sides of a 45 and scarce info is available about the groups themselves, but the names and formats of the releases are hazy. If you think that's tough, try keeping track of all of the aliases of Elena Ferretti!

I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one voting for these regardless of their eligibility, so maybe it doesn't matter much.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Moonbeam wrote:
bonnielaurel wrote:

The Cure - The Walk

That's kind of how I feel as well. I should probably go with the consensus, though - these songs are worth celebrating as either an album or an EP. If this forum discounts Japanese Whispers from consideration in album lists because it is deemed a compilation, maybe I should include it? Anyone else want to chime in?
Actually, my very first thought when I saw this thread was "Japanese Whispers." I was just about to nominate it when I researched it a little further to find it's, indeed, generally considered a compilation. If it doesn't count as an EP or a proper album, then I look forward to a compilation poll someday, because it's one of my favorite albums/EPs/compilations of all-time and I'd like to vote for it somewhere!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Here is my preliminary list, but I still have some EPs by personal favorite (Modest Mouse, Interpol, Stereolab...) to listen to, and keep on digging into the ones cited in the topic, so I expect at the very least the last 2 to get kicked out :

Putting in bold those not mentioned yet

1) Burial - Kindred
2) Minor Threat - Minor Threat
3) Robyn & Royksopp - Monument
4) Aphex Twin - Digeridoo
5) Burial - Rival Dealer
6) Animal Collective - Fall be Kind
7) Buzzcocks - Spiral Scratch
8) Parquet Courts/Parkay Quarts - Tally All the Things that You Broke
9) Radiohead - My Iron Lung
10) Les Savy Fav - Emor: Rome Upside Down
11) Burial - Street Halo

12) Fugazi - Fugazi (might have the best opener of any EP ever... not that lots of albums can compare either)
13) My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise
14) Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy
15) Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff
16) TNGHT - TNGHT
17) Boredoms - Super Roots 7
18) ESG - ESG

19) The Pogues - Poguetry in Motion
20) Boredoms - Super Roots 3
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Thanks for all the submissions. Nassim is the first to submit a real list, which I appreciate. How long til other people suggest their recommendations, and I can get more EPs to add for nominations?
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

letmeintomyzone wrote:Thanks for all the submissions. Nassim is the first to submit a real list, which I appreciate. How long til other people suggest their recommendations, and I can get more EPs to add for nominations?
I think it would be good to set up some deadlines and some guides for how this will go.

When you mention nominations, does it mean this will be a 2-stage poll: one where we each nominate 10-20 EPs and another where we rank the nominated EPs? Or will it be a poll where we submit our favorite 10-20, and these rankings will determine our final list?

I know that I'm holding off on posting a final list until I listen to more EPs. The link I shared has a rough ranking of the first 14 currently that I have listened to, and will be continually updated as I hear more.
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Moonbeam wrote:
letmeintomyzone wrote:Thanks for all the submissions. Nassim is the first to submit a real list, which I appreciate. How long til other people suggest their recommendations, and I can get more EPs to add for nominations?
I think it would be good to set up some deadlines and some guides for how this will go.

When you mention nominations, does it mean this will be a 2-stage poll: one where we each nominate 10-20 EPs and another where we rank the nominated EPs? Or will it be a poll where we submit our favorite 10-20, and these rankings will determine our final list?

I know that I'm holding off on posting a final list until I listen to more EPs. The link I shared has a rough ranking of the first 14 currently that I have listened to, and will be continually updated as I hear more.
I guess, this is where we nominate 20 EPs, and then we rank them on September 1st.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

letmeintomyzone wrote:
I guess, this is where we nominate 20 EPs, and then we rank them on September 1st.
That's a bit confusing, do you mean we vote for our 20 favorite and you put points for each vote to rank them, or that we nominate 20 EPs each and at the end we listen to all the EPs nominated and everybody have to rank all of them ?
I'd rather just vote for 20 and be done with it ! You should probably use a different point scale, closer to the one we use for the albums decades polls because with that one 20 #20 votes = 1 #1 vote but 2 #10 votes = 1 #1 vote which I don't think makes sense.

Also we are on AM here, not on RYM ;)
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Nassim wrote:
letmeintomyzone wrote:
That's a bit confusing, do you mean we vote for our 20 favorite and you put points for each vote to rank them, or that we nominate 20 EPs each and at the end we listen to all the EPs nominated and everybody have to rank all of them ?
I'd rather just vote for 20 and be done with it ! You should probably use a different point scale, closer to the one we use for the albums decades polls because with that one 20 #20 votes = 1 #1 vote but 2 #10 votes = 1 #1 vote which I don't think makes sense.

To be honest, I don't know how to specifically do this. I was hoping everyone would submit a 20.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

letmeintomyzone wrote:
Nassim wrote:
letmeintomyzone wrote:

To be honest, I don't know how to specifically do this. I was hoping everyone would submit a 20.
Agreed, no reason to overcomplicate matters. Just vote for 20 (or more)!
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Here's a preliminary Top 50, very hard...

1 | Burial | Kindred
2 | Disco Inferno | The Last Dance
3 | Liquid Liquid | Optimo
4 | ESG | ESG
5 | Andy Stott | Passed Me By
6 | Burial | Rival Dealer
7 | Glenn Branca | Lesson No. 1
8 | My Bloody Valentine | Glider
9 | Janelle Monáe | Metropolis, Suite I: The Chase
10 | New Order | 1981-1982
11 | Pere Ubu | Datapanik in the Year Zero
12 | My Bloody Valentine | You Made Me Realise
13 | TV on the Radio | Young Liars
14 | Boredoms | Super Roots 7
15 | Fugazi | Fugazi
16 | This Heat | Health and Efficiency
17 | Annie | All Night
18 | Super Furry Animals | Ice Hockey Hair
19 | Andy Stott | We Stay Together
20 | Godspeed You Black Emperor! | Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
21 | Stereolab | Fluorescenses
22 | Boards of Canada | In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country
23 | The Residents | Duck Stab!
24 | Minutemen | Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat
25 | Buzzcocks | Spiral Scratch
26 | Mission of Burma | Signals, Calls, and Marches
27 | Minor Threat | Minor Threat
28 | Disco Inferno | It's a Kid's World
29 | The Misfits | Beware
30 | My Bloody Valentine | Tremolo
31 | Pixies- Come on Pilgrim
32 | Cocteau Twins | The Spangle Maker
33 | The Dukes of Stratosphear | 25 o'Clock
34 | Autechre | Garbage
35 | Alice In Chains | Jar of Flies
36 | Disco Inferno | Summer's Last Sound
37 | FKA twigs | M3LL155X
38 | Burial | Street Halo
39 | The Fall | Slates
40 | R.E.M. | Chronic Town
41 | Florrie | Introduction
42 | Belle and Sebastian | Dog on Wheels
43 | Aphex Twin | Come to Daddy
44 | Joy Division | An Ideal for Living
45 | Mudhoney | Superfuzz Bigmuff
46 | Sonic Youth | Kill Yr Idols
47 | Fleet Foxes | Sun Giant
48 | Mogwai | My Father My King
49 | Husker Du | Metal Circus
50 | Metallica | The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

'memba this?

1. Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
2. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
(Magical Mystery Tour / Your Mother Should Know / I Am the Walrus / The Fool on the Hill / Flying / Blue Jay Way)
3. Nine Inch Nails - Broken
4. Husker Du - Metal Circus
5. The Beatles - Long Tall Sally
6. The Residents - Buster & Glen
7. R.E.M. - Chronic Town
8. Sonic Youth - Sonic Youth
9. The Residents - Duck Stab!
10. Pavement - Perfect Sound Forever
11. Buzzcocks - Spiral Scratch
12. Minor Threat - Minor Threat
13. Pavement - Slay Tracks (1933–1969)
14. Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff
15. The Germs - Lexicon Devil
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Here my update, didn't get if the post above means "yes Magical Mystery Tour is eligible" or "yes it's ineligible" so I'll include it :

1) Burial - Kindred
2) Minor Threat - Minor Threat
3) Robyn & Royksopp - Monument
4) Aphex Twin - Digeridoo
5) Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for Zero Kanada
6) Burial - Rival Dealer
7) Animal Collective - Fall be Kind
8) The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
9) Buzzcocks - Spiral Scratch
10) Parquet Courts/Parkay Quarts - Tally All the Things that You Broke
11) Radiohead - My Iron Lung
12) Les Savy Fav - Emor: Rome Upside Down
13) Burial - Street Halo
14) Fugazi - Fugazi
15) Liquid Liquid - Optimo
16) My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise
17) Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy
18) Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff
19) TNGHT - TNGHT
20) Boredoms - Super Roots 7
21) ESG - ESG
22) The Pogues - Poguetry in Motion
23) Boredoms - Super Roots 3
24) Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls, and Marches
25) FKA twigs - M3LL155X
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

I don't really know how to move forward with this project, considering that, a lot of you guys didn't do it exactly as I asked (which I kind of do, appreciate), but if I get help with how I can progress the project, it'll definitely be helpful.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

I spoke with letmeintomyzone about a possible reconsideration of the nature of the poll in order to reopen it. Now, the lists will directly determine the final list, without any stage where everybody will rank the nominated EPs.
If the users who previously showed some interest are still interrested, let us know
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Sure, the bunch of EPs I listened to since my last list haven't made a huge impact (though I could maybe possibly consider Vince Stapes for my top 20) but I'd go back digging into sonofsamiam list if the poll kicked back in.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

Nassim wrote:Sure, the bunch of EPs I listened to since my last list haven't made a huge impact (though I could maybe possibly consider Vince Stapes for my top 20) but I'd go back digging into sonofsamiam list if the poll kicked back in.
Nice! I hope the others have keeped their interest too.

letmeintomyzone is no longer interested to host the poll, thus I'll do it.
I just want to know what's the more practical to everyone concerning the period of submission/the deadline, and the formula. Do I keep letmeintomyzone's scheme points or has somebody a better way to make the final list?
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

My top 20:

1. Allan Holdsworth - Road Games (1983)
2. Janelle Monáe - Metropolis, Suite I: The Chase (2007)
3. Lana Del Rey - Paradise (2012)
4. Michelle Branch - Everything Comes and Goes (2010)
5. Dire Straits - Twisting by the Pool (1983)
6. Solange - True (2012)
7. Tori Amos - Scarlet's Hidden Secrets (2004)
8. Annie - A&R EP (2013)
9. Elton John - The Thom Bell Sessions (1979)
10. Florrie - Sirens (2014)
11. Stevie Wonder - A Something's Extra for "Songs in the Key of Life" (1976)
12. FKA Twigs - M3LL155X (2015)
13. Eric Clapton - Edge of Darkness [soundtrack] (1985)
14. Cliff Richard - Serious Charge (1959)
15. Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies (1994)
16. Enya - Sounds of the Season: The Enya Collection (2006)
17. Foxes - Warrior (2012)
18. Stefani - Red and Blue (2006)
19. Izzy Bizu - Coolbeanz (2013)
20. Röyksopp & Robyn - Do It Again (2014)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”