The AM demographics poll - 2016 edition

Where do you hail from?

Canada
5%
Western U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii)
13%
Midwestern U.S.
9%
Southern/Southeast U.S.
9%
Northeast U.S.
11%
Latin America
5%
U.K. and Ireland
11%
Nordic countries (Scandinavia, Finland and Iceland)
3%
Benelux (Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg)
6%
Germany, Switzerland and Austria
2%
France
8%
Spain and Portugal
3%
Italy and Greece
No votes
Eastern Europe
2%
Africa
3%
Middle East
No votes
Russia
No votes
Mongolia, China, Japan and Korea
2%
India and Southeast Asia
3%
Australia + New Zealand (and Oceania)
6%

Total votes: 64

Pierre
Into the Groove

The AM demographics poll - 2016 edition

Post by Pierre »

Hello my dear AMers, and welcome to the second edition of the AM demographics poll. I conducted it last year around the same period, and I think one year is a best default delay for conducting the new edition. Back then, I used the United Nations statistical divisions to run it, and we had the following results:

Eastern Africa - 0
Middle Africa - 0
Northern Africa - 0
Southern Africa - 1
Western Africa - 0
Latin America and the Caribbean - 2
Northern America - 23
Central Asia - 0
Eastern Asia - 0
Southern Asia - 1
South-Eastern Asia - 0
Western Asia - 0
Eastern Europe - 0
Northern Europe - 6
Southern Europe - 2
Western Europe - 17
Australia and New Zealand - 4
Melanesia - 0
Micronesia - 0
Polynesia - 0

For a total of 56 votes. Given the overall scores, Henrik suggested other subdivisions for this time around, which I'm using. I hope Africa will not mind being lumped together. Also, if you are from Antarctica or happen to be an extraterrestrial entity, please feel free to mention it in answer to this thread.

An interesting conclusion from the last poll was an exact 50/50 split between America and Europe, with 6 other members from the rest of the world. If I'm correct on what I've seen lately on this forum, there should be more of an American domination this time around. I still hope our secret Filipino members will take this opportunity to come out of the woods and start the long-awaited Asian takeover of our community :happy-smileyinthebox:
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Re: The AM demographics poll - 2016 edition

Post by Dexter »

Pierre wrote:I still hope our secret Filipino members will take this opportunity to come out of the woods and start the long-awaited Asian takeover of our community :happy-smileyinthebox:
lol! I'm from the tropical archipelagic nation of the Philippines, :happy-partydance: Were you talking about the one you posted in your earlier thread? to quote "So, according to the current results of the poll, the members of our community are 42% from North America, and 42% from Europe, with the 16 remaining % shared between the rest of the world. Funny discovery, that's not what Alexa claims: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/acclaimedmusic.net. Apparently 62% of us are from... Philippines? Is Alexa broken or something? :o"

Well, Filipinos, at least those had formal education, are comfortable with reading and writing English and our tastes are heavily influenced by American culture. Trust me, you don't the forum to be overrun by us otherwise hair metal (Bon Jovi, Scorpions etc.) and soft rock (Air Supply, Paul Williams, Toto, etc.) would dominate the discussions. I don't know if there are any other Filipino members or they are just browsing without signing-up or gasp! I'm solely responsible for 62% of the traffic here. :lol:
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Dexter wrote:
Pierre wrote:I still hope our secret Filipino members will take this opportunity to come out of the woods and start the long-awaited Asian takeover of our community :happy-smileyinthebox:
lol! I'm from the tropical archipelagic nation of the Philippines, :happy-partydance: Were you talking about the one you posted in your earlier thread? to quote "So, according to the current results of the poll, the members of our community are 42% from North America, and 42% from Europe, with the 16 remaining % shared between the rest of the world. Funny discovery, that's not what Alexa claims: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/acclaimedmusic.net. Apparently 62% of us are from... Philippines? Is Alexa broken or something? :o"

Well, Filipinos, at least those had formal education, are comfortable with reading and writing English and our tastes are heavily influenced by American culture. Trust me, you don't the forum to be overrun by us otherwise hair metal (Bon Jovi, Scorpions etc.) and soft rock (Air Supply, Paul Williams, Toto, etc.) would dominate the discussions. I don't know if there are any other Filipino members or they are just browsing without signing-up or gasp! I'm solely responsible for 62% of the traffic here. :lol:
Absolutely! You have good memory :D Well, I'm actually happy to know we have at least one new Asian member here :greetings-waveyellow: I love the international nature of this forum and the more countries represented, the better!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Bump. This board is so slippery, sometimes topics slide way too fast.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

I didn't know Dexter was from Philippines. Thought Luney6 was the only Asian here.
So now we can expect the thread "Philippines - One song per day"!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Toni wrote:I didn't know Dexter was from Philippines. Thought Luney6 was the only Asian here.
Nice one, Toni. :) From what country in Asia is Luney6 from? If he's not from the Philippines (based on Pierre's categories, I'm guessing India) and creates his own thread then I'll also give it a go. I don't think there's a demand for Filipino songs but if there is I'll be glad to create one (one song per week though).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Re-bump.
Dexter wrote:
Toni wrote:I didn't know Dexter was from Philippines. Thought Luney6 was the only Asian here.
Nice one, Toni. :) From what country in Asia is Luney6 from? If he's not from the Philippines (based on Pierre's categories, I'm guessing India) and creates his own thread then I'll also give it a go. I don't think there's a demand for Filipino songs but if there is I'll be glad to create one (one song per week though).
You're correct, luney6 is from India. Also, don't expect someone actually making a "demand" for Filipino songs: we would have needed to know there was a Filipino member in the first place to ask this! :D If you want to try to share some songs, albums and artists from your country, feel free to do so, I'm sure you will always catch the interest of someone.

Most interesting conclusions from the poll so far:
- I'm starting to understand why East Coast psychedelic rock is more popular than West Coast psychedelic rock here. I was always puzzled by the lack of enthusiasm for the San Francisco scene, but now it's more clear.
- We now have a member from Eastern Europe, apparently, and also a member from the "Mongolia, China, Japan and Korea" zone! I wish you guys would be more vocal :D
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Re-bump. 38 votes so far, 18 less than last time. I will regularly do these bumps for the month of August before letting this thread sink.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I'm certain there are more than 1 Latin Americans in this forum.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Canada :)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

:text-bump:
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Daniel wrote:Canada :)
what a hoser.

yeah, i.m canadian too
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Bumpty dumpty. We're still 9 voters shy of last year.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

My, we do have another member from Africa alongside Dan? Awesome! Otherwise, Russia and the Middle East remain uncharted territory for the AM community, apparently. I think we used to have members from Italy and Greece.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Little bump. We're at 53 votes, just 3 less than last year. Statistically, at this point we have a 28-17 discrepancy between America and Europe. It probably means that we've sadly lost members from the Old World (last year we were 25!).
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Not sure how to vote here: I was born in the US but have lived in Australia for the past 10 years.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Moonbeam wrote:Not sure how to vote here: I was born in the US but have lived in Australia for the past 10 years.
Last time, I gave everyone the advice to not take this too seriously and to vote where they felt their heart was. I'll just give you the same :)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

One of the last bumps I'll be doing. We're now two votes away from last year's total.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Dexter wrote:
Sorry by the late response, Dexter. Was too distracted by the Olympics on the last two weeks.
Well, even if Filipino music doesn't support a thread like Romain's one, I'm sure there is great music out there that deserves to be discovered. One of the things I like the most in this forum is the openness to music of the most diverse styles, ages and countries. I don't want to return to a subject that has already been discussed a lot, but I find a bit unfair that people (including myself) use to talk about "the best music ever" and "best anglophone music ever" as if they were exactly the same thing. Nothing against English-speaking artists, of course, but I think many countries must have their own Dylans, Costellos or Van Morrisons, and they pass unnoticed to the rest of the world.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Don't be sorry Toni. I actually didn't expect you to respond so thank you for that. I agree with everything you stated. I could probably count with one hand Filipino music truly worth the standards of acclaim in this forum but I've been all over Asia and indeed there are diverse styles and unnoticed artists that should deserve more recognition from their Western counterpart. Maybe I could share this knowledge to good use here.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Breaks my heart a little to see the Best Coast trailing the Northleast even with my late vote.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jeff wrote:Breaks my heart a little to see the Best Coast trailing the Northleast even with my late vote.
Funny you say that and suddenly both are on even foot :D And that brings us to a total of 57 votes, one more than last year! As I said before, America is definitively more present on the forum today than before.

Five days left before I let the thread sink if Europe wants to contradict me.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Last bump!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

It's September 1st here in Europe, so it's time for a summary of the results. We "finish" (the poll will remain open no matter what) with a total of 62 voters, which makes 6 more than last year!

The breakdown shows that America represents now 31 members (half of the forum!) against 25 last year, Europe makes 22 (against 25 last year) and it means we are apparently losing members over here :? , while Australia and New Zealand are stable with 4 members, same as last year. The rest of the world makes 5 members, which is an improvement over last year, when they were only 2, with an even split between Asia and Africa. Today, Africa has 2 members and Asia 3, which is slightly unexpected.

In America, the West Coast finishes surprisingly ahead even though it was behind for most of the poll. Given that it doesn't help much San Francisco psychedelia in games, I suppose that most members from the West Coast are uninterested in this music style. Shame on you :D

In Europe, France led the votes from the beginning with 5 members but they were outperformed by UK and Ireland in the last days. I suppose it means that French members are more active than English ones? Or it's just a result of the random movements of the thread on the page. Who knows. Southern Europe is stable with 2 members from last year, Northern Europe is down from 6 members last year to 2 for Nordic countries this year, but I suppose some UK members last year might have considered themselves "Northern Europe"? And Eastern Europe now counts 1 member, while last year there was none. I hope it's just the start of our conquest of the East :P

Well, to conclude, AM remains a vastly Western thing so far, which is of course unsurprising, given the pool of artists on the website. I hope things will change with time. I'm surprised by the lack of voters from Italy and Greece, I know we have had contributors from these countries in the past; I hope they will come back. Otherwise, Russia and the Middle East are apparently uncharted territory for AM, despite their well-known musical traditions. Perhaps people from these countries are not much into lists?

And no member from outer space. Bummer :mrgreen:
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Pierre wrote: In America, the West Coast finishes surprisingly ahead even though it was behind for most of the poll. Given that it doesn't help much San Francisco psychedelia in games, I suppose that most members from the West Coast are uninterested in this music style. Shame on you :D
Yeah, unfortunately I'm not big on psychedelia, I blame that on my lack of drug use ;)
Santana is as psychedelic as it gets for me, and I am quite satisfied :D
Nice work on the poll Pierre!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Pierre wrote: In America, the West Coast finishes surprisingly ahead even though it was behind for most of the poll. Given that it doesn't help much San Francisco psychedelia in games, I suppose that most members from the West Coast are uninterested in this music style. Shame on you :D
Yeah, unfortunately I'm not big on psychedelia, I blame that on my lack of drug use ;)
Santana is as psychedelic as it gets for me, and I am quite satisfied :D
Nice work on the poll Pierre!
Ah ah ah, I'm a fan of psychedelia and I've never taken drugs :P

I blame it on people simply having different tastes ;) And thanks!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Pierre wrote: Well, to conclude, AM remains a vastly Western thing so far, which is of course unsurprising, given the pool of artists on the website. I hope things will change with time. I'm surprised by the lack of voters from Italy and Greece, I know we have had contributors from these countries in the past; I hope they will come back. Otherwise, Russia and the Middle East are apparently uncharted territory for AM, despite their well-known musical traditions. Perhaps people from these countries are not much into lists?
I think the language barrier is the most obvious explanation. America en most of western or northern Europe speak English rather well, but in most of the areas that performed poorly here English isn't as commonly spoken. This isn't likely to change anytime soon, either.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”