Help wanted - additional info for almost 3,000 songs!

Honorio
Higher Ground

Re: Help wanted - additional info for almost 3,000 songs!

Post by Honorio »

I can help with the column of "Non-English languages". But I'm not sure how to do it. I mean: I download the Excel file, I introduce the languages in the column and then? I send the updated file on this thread? On a PM?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Bang Jan and Honorio!

Honorio, you can post the updated file in this thread.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

OK, that's what I'll do.
First non-English song and first doubt. Abe Elenkrig's Yidishe Orchestra's "Fon der Choope (From the Wedding)" Which language is that? I can't find it on the net. Bulgarian? German? Hebrew?
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Hi Henrik,

I'm new to this so can you tell me exactly what I need to do?

"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Honorio wrote:OK, that's what I'll do.
First non-English song and first doubt. Abe Elenkrig's Yidishe Orchestra's "Fon der Choope (From the Wedding)" Which language is that? I can't find it on the net. Bulgarian? German? Hebrew?
Yiddish, no?
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Honorio wrote:OK, that's what I'll do.
I've already started doing #-B. Can I recommend starting with C?
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Pierre wrote:Yiddish, no?
OK, thanks
Bang Jan wrote:I've already started doing #-B. Can I recommend starting with C?
OK
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

madzong wrote:Hi Henrik,

It's really as simple as Henrik put it. In the spreadsheet joined to his message (titled "Info about songs in 2017 update.xlsx"), there are ten columns. The ones titled" "Non-English languages", "Female artist/band mainly fronted by a woman?", "Country (artist raised/band formed)", "State (US/UK only)", "Country and state of featured artists" and "Report additional info or errors here" all need to be filled in. In the detail:

- Non-English languages: to be filled in if the song isn't sung in English, with the correct language. Ex: French, Spanish, etc.

- Female artist/band mainly fronted by a woman?: to be filled in with a yes or a no. Borderline cases (like Fleetwood Mac or old songs by jazz orchestras with a guest female singer) or duets (like Richard & Linda Thompson) must be filled in with whatever you feel suits best, and you must add a note in the "Report additional info or errors here" column.

- Country (artist raised/band formed): to be filled in with the country the act originates from. Some of these are already filled in.

- State (US/UK only): to be filled in with the name of the state the act originates from if they are from the US or the UK. For the UK, specifically England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Some of these are already filled in.

- Country and state of featured artists: in case there is a featured artist on the song (like it's very common in hip-hop, for instance), you have to indicate the country and state (if US/UK) of the featured act. Ex.: for Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar's "Bad Blood", you have to put in the country column "USA", in the state column "Pennsylvania" (which are respectively for Taylor Swift), and in the country and state of featured artists column "California, USA" (for Kendrick Lamar).

- Report additional info or errors here: basically a comments column. To be used in case of important trivia, ambiguous cases, and the like.

Also, you have to "book" a particular letter or a group of letters which correspond to the first letter in the name of the act, so several people can work on the spreadsheet simultaneously without repeating the work of someone else. For instance, Bang Jan took "#-B", which means he's taking care of all the songs for which the name of the act starts with a number or other symbols, with an A and with a B. Which means presently, that he's taking care of all the songs between 10,000 Maniacs' "Hey Jack Kerouac" and Buzzcocks' "You Say You Don't Love Me" (rows 2-431) in the spreadsheet.

As a side-note, I just realized that there's a song by Tony Sheridan ft. the Beat Brothers in there. I didn't even think that was possible. By the turn of the decade, everything the Beatles ever recorded by themselves or with others will be featured on AM, if it goes on like this :D
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I'll take S-Z. (I'm starting from the bottom to make sure I don't bump into anyone else. Thanks for the detailed instructions, Pierre! I've done this before, but it's been a while...)
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Pierre wrote:
madzong wrote:Hi Henrik,

It's really as simple as Henrik put it. In the spreadsheet joined to his message (titled "Info about songs in 2017 update.xlsx"), there are ten columns. The ones titled" "Non-English languages", "Female artist/band mainly fronted by a woman?", "Country (artist raised/band formed)", "State (US/UK only)", "Country and state of featured artists" and "Report additional info or errors here" all need to be filled in. In the detail:

- Non-English languages: to be filled in if the song isn't sung in English, with the correct language. Ex: French, Spanish, etc.

- Female artist/band mainly fronted by a woman?: to be filled in with a yes or a no. Borderline cases (like Fleetwood Mac or old songs by jazz orchestras with a guest female singer) or duets (like Richard & Linda Thompson) must be filled in with whatever you feel suits best, and you must add a note in the "Report additional info or errors here" column.

- Country (artist raised/band formed): to be filled in with the country the act originates from. Some of these are already filled in.

- State (US/UK only): to be filled in with the name of the state the act originates from if they are from the US or the UK. For the UK, specifically England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Some of these are already filled in.

- Country and state of featured artists: in case there is a featured artist on the song (like it's very common in hip-hop, for instance), you have to indicate the country and state (if US/UK) of the featured act. Ex.: for Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar's "Bad Blood", you have to put in the country column "USA", in the state column "Pennsylvania" (which are respectively for Taylor Swift), and in the country and state of featured artists column "California, USA" (for Kendrick Lamar).

- Report additional info or errors here: basically a comments column. To be used in case of important trivia, ambiguous cases, and the like.

Also, you have to "book" a particular letter or a group of letters which correspond to the first letter in the name of the act, so several people can work on the spreadsheet simultaneously without repeating the work of someone else. For instance, Bang Jan took "#-B", which means he's taking care of all the songs for which the name of the act starts with a number or other symbols, with an A and with a B. Which means presently, that he's taking care of all the songs between 10,000 Maniacs' "Hey Jack Kerouac" and Buzzcocks' "You Say You Don't Love Me" (rows 2-431) in the spreadsheet.

As a side-note, I just realized that there's a song by Tony Sheridan ft. the Beat Brothers in there. I didn't even think that was possible. By the turn of the decade, everything the Beatles ever recorded by themselves or with others will be featured on AM, if it goes on like this :D
I'm surprised there's no genre column
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

So far only genre for albums!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

jamieW wrote:I'll take S-Z. (I'm starting from the bottom to make sure I don't bump into anyone else. Thanks for the detailed instructions, Pierre! I've done this before, but it's been a while...)
You're welcome!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

C and D are already done (finally I chose to do all the columns and not only the non-English language). I endorse the updated Excel file.

I'll try to do tomorrow G and H
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly ...

I've encountered a handful of artists that already have the country/state filled in that may not be correct. I thought we would use the birthplace for solo artists and where the group was formed for bands? In these instances, I haven't been changing the information in the already established columns, but I have been entering (what I believe to be) the correct information in the Comments. (The best example of this is The National: New York is already entered for them (where they currently reside), but shouldn't it be Ohio, since this is where the band was formed?

Thanks!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Okay, I'll do Q-R.

Thanks for making the instructions clear for beginners.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

jamieW wrote:Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly ...

I've encountered a handful of artists that already have the country/state filled in that may not be correct. I thought we would use the birthplace for solo artists and where the group was formed for bands? In these instances, I haven't been changing the information in the already established columns, but I have been entering (what I believe to be) the correct information in the Comments. (The best example of this is The National: New York is already entered for them (where they currently reside), but shouldn't it be Ohio, since this is where the band was formed?

Thanks!
Yeah, and Anohni is not credited as British for some reason.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thanks!
I've completed S-Z. The other question I have is how best to define a "female-fronted" band. (I think I might have been too lenient with this, since I think your original intention was to compensate for an anti-female bias in critics' lists, so I'm not sure groups like Sonic Youth and Silversun Pickups would qualify.)

Please let me know your thoughts, Henrik. I'll hold off on attaching the updated spreadsheet so I can correct if necessary.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

jamieW wrote:

Thanks!
I've completed S-Z. The other question I have is how best to define a "female-fronted" band. (I think I might have been too lenient with this, since I think your original intention was to compensate for an anti-female bias in critics' lists, so I'm not sure groups like Sonic Youth and Silversun Pickups would qualify.)

Please let me know your thoughts, Henrik. I'll hold off on attaching the updated spreadsheet so I can correct if necessary.
I wouldn't say there's a right or wrong here, but this is what I have done myself in the past:
Main vocals by female singer, rest of the band male: female
50/50 vocals by female and male singers, rest of the band is male: male
50/50 duet by female and male singers, not by a band: female
Instrumental by a female artist: female

So a Sonic Youth song can be either male or female, depending on if Thurston or Kim sings.

Let me know if you need more examples. Also, it's not the end of the world if you are doing it a bit differently.

Thanks to everyone so far! A real group effort this time!
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I'll do J-K.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

G-I is already done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henrik wrote:
jamieW wrote:

Thanks!

I wouldn't say there's a right or wrong here, but this is what I have done myself in the past:
Main vocals by female singer, rest of the band male: female
50/50 vocals by female and male singers, rest of the band is male: male
50/50 duet by female and male singers, not by a band: female
Instrumental by a female artist: female

So a Sonic Youth song can be either male or female, depending on if Thurston or Kim sings.

Let me know if you need more examples. Also, it's not the end of the world if you are doing it a bit differently.

Thanks to everyone so far! A real group effort this time!
Thanks, Henrik! That answers my questions. I've made a few changes and attached the spreadsheet with S-Z completed. (For the questionable raised/formed in artists, I have added comments in the additional info column.)

I have a birthday party for my son today, but I'll check back tomorrow after work to see if there's anything left to be done.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I'll also take L-M
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Almost finished Q-R.

I just have some questions:

1. Linda and Richard Thompson - do I list as female or male fronted?

2. What do you do If an artist is born in a country (or state) but develop their career in a different country or state?

In the spreadsheet:

Quintette du Hot Club de France is listed as Belgian but on Wikipedia it states that the band originated in France

Rachid Taha was born in Algeria but developed his career in France

Richard Kiley was born in Illinois but developed his career in New York

Ronnie Hawkins was born in Arkansas but developed his career in Canada

Roy C was born in Georgia but developed his career in New York

Roy Hamilton was born in Georgia but developed his career in New Jersey

Rufus Thomas was born in Mississippi but developed his career in Tennessee

3. What do you do If there is speculation about an artists birth year and two dates in two different states are given?

Robert Petway - Catfish Blues is listed on Wikipedia as having been born in Alabama or Mississippi
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

madzong wrote:Almost finished Q-R.

2. What do you do If an artist is born in a country (or state) but develop their career in a different country or state?

In the spreadsheet:

Quintette du Hot Club de France is listed as Belgian but on Wikipedia it states that the band originated in France

3. What do you do If there is speculation about an artists birth year and two dates in two different states are given?

Robert Petway - Catfish Blues is listed on Wikipedia as having been born in Alabama or Mississippi
All this stuff must be in additional info.
About the first question, must be female
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

panam wrote:
madzong wrote:Almost finished Q-R.

In the spreadsheet:

All this stuff must be in additional info.
About the first question, must be female
Hi panam,

Thanks for clearing up my first question.

For question 2, I have put all of this in additional information but I am wondering by what rule everyone is going by.

For example in the case of Riccardo Cocciante he was born in Vietnam but he moved to Italy at a young age. He is entered in the spreadsheet under Italy and this makes sense.

And Ricardo Villalobos who was born in Chile but moved to Germany at a young age and is listed in the spreadsheet as German.

But in the case of the artists and bands I had pointed out in question 2, their careers had developed somewhere differently to where they were born.

I might be over thinking it but I was wondering what everyone else was doing.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

madzong wrote:
Hi panam,

Thanks for clearing up my first question.

For question 2, I have put all of this in additional information but I am wondering by what rule everyone is going by.

For example in the case of Riccardo Cocciante he was born in Vietnam but he moved to Italy at a young age. He is entered in the spreadsheet under Italy and this makes sense.

And Ricardo Villalobos who was born in Chile but moved to Germany at a young age and is listed in the spreadsheet as German.

But in the case of the artists and bands I had pointed out in question 2, their careers had developed somewhere differently to where they were born.

I might be over thinking it but I was wondering what everyone else was doing.
Blanco made the same question some time ago http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... man#p39354

Actually I don't know, Arca appears as Venezuela but since the beginning of his career he is based between UK and USA. That's why it's important to be written as additional info but Henrik has the last word about it.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Here is Q-R finished
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Thanks for your help panam. I think I'll just let Henrik make the final call based on the additional information.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

what part of the xls needs to be worked?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

I'm 2/5 through J-K, but I discovered this antique beauty! I can just imagine myself dancing to this song with a significant other in my wartime parlor.
Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra - Tangerine
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

L-M done. The Excel includes also the parts made by jamieW and madzong
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Huge thanks Honorio, jamieW and madzong!!!
To jamieW for the album spreadsheet as well!

Let's see if I can get this right about what's done, taken and what's left.

# Taken by Bang Jan
A Taken by Bang Jan
B Taken by Bang Jan
C Done
D Done
E
F
G Done
H Done
I Done
J Taken by prosecutorgodot
K Taken by prosecutorgodot
L Done
M Done
N
O
P
Q Done
R Done
S Done
T Done
U Done
V Done
W Done
X Done
Y Done
Z Done
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Hi Henrik,

No problem and glad to help. I will take N-O.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

N-O done.

Phew! Time for bed.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Done #-B:
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I also did P

On side note about a date of release, Lluís Llach's "L'estaca" was first released as part of an album on 1970 but there was a previous single release in 1968. I changed it on the Excel file.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

I'll take E-F unless someone else wants to do it.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Two things to added on the spreadsheet:

In Ana Tijoux's "1977" says France. She was born there but she always introduced as a Chilean artist because her nationality (similar case as Ricardo Villalobos I think) and I think it needs to be included as Additional Info.

In Molotov's "Frijolero" appears Spanish language. It's true but 40% of the lyrics is in English (sung by the American member of the band). I think it needs to be included as Additional Info.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

I finished J-K.
I hope it's okay that I am uploading only my additions, not an aggregation.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Done E-F:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks everyone! Great team effort!

I will look at all this next week.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

A doubt, it was called Paco de Lucia's "Entre dos aguas" as Spanish, but actually it's an instrumental song. It's because the name of the title? Please, some guidance ;)
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Info_about_songs_in_2017_update_%281%29.XLS
I made some corrections (Juan Cirerol was bad written, "El watusi" needs Spanish tag, "Entre dos aguas" is instrumental and add additional info about "Frijolero" and Ana Tijoux)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”