Are Extended Plays less important than actual albums?

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Are Extended Plays less important than actual albums?

Post by letmeintomyzone »

I was curious about this. It seems like, you couldn't even make a short list of the most acclaimed EPs of all time, since there's very few "best EPs" lists out there. The closest thing you have is RateYourMusic's EP section. I feel like EPs are often viewed as side-projects or distractions from the "bigger" and "more ambitious" work.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Are Extended Plays less important than actual albums?

Post by Jirin »

I just list EPs along with LPs.

Though I get the impression in most cases EPs are meant to be testing the new idea they have for their next LP.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Depends what the artist envisioned for the EP.
For acts like Autechre and Burial, EPs are definitely quite important. EPs are more of a go-to format for electronic artists anyway.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

EPs I do not consider any different from LPs.

A five song set can be just as meaningful as a ten song set.

My favorite EP, Jar of Flies, feels just right in its length and never outstays its welcome. It feels like a fine listen at any time and for twenty minutes, moves like a real album.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I stand by my belief that the You Made Me Realise EP is head and shoulders above Isn't Anything, and if it were a full length album, would be in the acclaimed top 200.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I think one problem when discussing EPs is that a lot of them have their biggest tracks absorbed into the band's later albums. A few bands even release a collection of their EPs as their first 'album' (for example, The Beta Band has The Three EP's). I imagine this makes it hard for critics to discuss. It would be strange to have both The Three EP's as its own entity alongside the parts that make it up; I wonder how Henrik would handle such a situation, since it would essentially be the same work listed twice.

If it wasn't for this fact, I think EPs would be more widely discussed. Perhaps there is an expectation that these smaller records will simply be re-utilized by the band? Thus critics ignore those EPs that actually do consist entirely of unique work.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Jonathon wrote:I stand by my belief that the You Made Me Realise EP is head and shoulders above Isn't Anything, and if it were a full length album, would be in the acclaimed top 200.
I agree with this 100%, and would also like to add In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country by Boards of Canada and Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada by Godspeed You! Black Emperor to the same level.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I think it would be awesome to have an EP poll.
mat.bez.lima
Let's Get It On

Post by mat.bez.lima »

In general, I believe that yes. The EPs aren't much more than a single. A single have two musics. A EP also don't have much musics: generally just 4 musics.
User of RYM #507651

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”