Different Class

When will the next AM update be?

Post by letmeintomyzone »

I'm genuinely excited as hell for it.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: When will the next AM update be?

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I believe Henrik said it's planned for August or September. I assume it will depend on various factors, such as whether or not pre-2015 songs and albums are added, how healthy Henrik is this summer, whether or not there's ANOTHER hard drive crash... oh crap, I just jinxed it, didn't I.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

For anyone who is especially anxious for the update, I recommend visiting this thread. (I feel guilty for not being able to help myself, but I recently started a new job and we're in the process of moving to another state.)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3670

Henrik has asked for help, and he just recently bumped this thread. Hopefully, someone can help out. For myself personally, I love the updates, but I can always wait. I can't even imagine how much work goes into these, and I worry about Henrik's health, too (as I know everyone does). I can't thank him enough for just keeping this site active. I honestly don't know what I'd do without it!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:I believe Henrik said it's planned for August or September. I assume it will depend on various factors, such as whether or not pre-2015 songs and albums are added, how healthy Henrik is this summer, whether or not there's ANOTHER hard drive crash... oh crap, I just jinxed it, didn't I.
August doesn't seem like a realistic target anymore, I'm afraid...
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

One month later and with plenty of activity on the forum regarding help, would it be rude to ask again? How is the process going, and what should we expect from the next update?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Would have been a nice gift for Nicolas' birthday !
:occasion-birthdaymulticolor:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

It's a growing beast. With new lists of 600 or 700 songs it's getting bigger and bigger, but not nearer...

10,000 ranked songs. Late September. Hopefully.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Okay, I guess I can mention this here... Remember how I made that countdown video for last year's song poll? Well, once the update arrives, I plan to make a countdown video for the critics' song list (just the top 1000, though)! The wait shouldn't be too long, because I can reuse the clips from the previous video, and I've made clips songs that didn't make the poll going down the current list, since most of them will probably still be in the top 1000. After the update, filling in the blanks should be easy. However, there won't be pictures this time around, because they were the cause of most of my stress last time around, and I don't feel it's worth the time, since individual AM updates become obsolete after about a year. And I assure you, I would not be making these if I didn't genuinely enjoy doing so.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Henrik wrote:It's a growing beast. With new lists of 600 or 700 songs it's getting bigger and bigger, but not nearer...

At some point maybe you could make the decision that no further lists are included to the next update.
I feel like that
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

PlasticRam wrote:
Henrik wrote:It's a growing beast. With new lists of 600 or 700 songs it's getting bigger and bigger, but not nearer...

At some point maybe you could make the decision that no further lists are included to the next update.
I was thinking that as well. The end of August?
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

10,000 ranked songs would be an amazing feat. I'm prepared to wait as long as needed for Henrik to complete the update in the manner he prefers without impacting his health.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

PlasticRam wrote:

For sure I need to do that.
Mika
Only Sixteen

Post by Mika »

Some technology would help in future updates? Even making this almost online?
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

...soon
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik, is the number of songs going to swing the pendulum for artist rankings in favor of songs over albums? I remember there was a controversy about that last time.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

No it won't. I will adjust so that the total points for the 3,000 albums equals that of the 10,000 songs.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

What's the ratio now? Also with more songs, will the song ranking still be determined by top 9 or will it be extended (for example, to top 12)?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Perhaps I should have another look at the algorithm before replying, but I think the rankings are based on all albums and songs by each artist, since the last update. It gave for example Miles Davis a huge boost. The album/song influence ratio is 50/50 now too.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

So if I'm correct in understanding you, it counts top rankings in one lump ranking?

So Nirvana's top rankings would be (based on last years update)

1. "Smells Like Teen Spirit"- 2
2. Nevermind- 3
3. In Utero- 127
4. MTV Unplugged- 309
5. "All Apologies"- 475
6. "Lithium"- 577
7. "Come As You Are"- 698
8. Bleach- 739
9. "About a Girl"- 846

And those combined rankings determine artist rank?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:

For sure I need to do that.
Important update on the update

I know that many of you (maybe even all of you) would prefer a site update sooner rather than bigger, and if the site update was really close then my reasoning would probably be different. But it's not*, so...

Some really great lists have been posted recently (most of them by stefanocarraro) that will give a huge boost to underexposed countries and genres. For me the goal with the 10,000 songs update is to expand the musical palette, so it would feel wrong to make the update and skip many Italian, Spanish, jazz songs etc. that I know actually have enough of acclaim to be appear in the AM list.

It will take quite some time to add these new lists though (especially to add new songs to AM from these lists), so for now the update is on hold. As we are getting closer to EOY 2016, I might actually wait for those to be added as well. In the future I'd like to make the updates sooner after the EOY anyway (say March or April). If this becomes my decision I could post preliminary all-time positions for the 2015 albums and songs if that's what you are most interested in.

*I can go into details later of what work I still need to do, in case you want a better understanding about this.
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

edit: Nevermind.
Last edited by kargetina on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

My own opinion is you should make the update you're happy with, Henrik. Do whatever you think is needed and take your time :)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Henrik wrote:
I know that many of you (maybe even all of you) would prefer a site update sooner rather than bigger, and if the site update was really close then my reasoning would probably be different. But it's not*, so...

Some really great lists have been posted recently (most of them by stefanocarraro) that will give a huge boost to underexposed countries and genres. For me the goal with the 10,000 songs update is to expand the musical palette, so it would feel wrong to make the update and skip many Italian, Spanish, jazz songs etc. that I know actually have enough of acclaim to be appear in the AM list.
Perfect Henrik! Frankly, if you don't update the site this year but in 2017 because you have to put on some big new lists and improve your database, it will be perfect. 8-)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

kargetina wrote:(edited)

...disappointed by this outcome. There will always be new lists coming in, that's why it's an annual update. There needs to be a cut-off point...
kargetina, I'm sorry you feel this way. I try to make annual updates, but I have never promised anyone to make them. Even without the new lists it would take me dozens of hours before the work is done. I don't want to spend that amount of spare time on something I don't feel satisfied with.

I know I should probably try to find methods to make the work more effective, but that's another story.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I'm probably not the best person to chime in on this simply because, while I love the updates, I don't appear to look quite as forward to them as others. But I did want to say take your time, Henrik, and do what you feel is best. Those new lists from Italy were definitely a game-changer, and will be tremendous additions. If you don't add them now when you're aware of them and then need to wait a year for them to be added, I can see why you wouldn't be happy with the update. Waiting for the 2016 year-end lists seems logical, given how close we are to 2017.

I remember there have been times when you've questioned how much longer you'll be able to do this at all, and still you've managed to make each update bigger and better than the last. (The very idea of 10,000 ranked songs staggers the mind!) I've always been prepared for the day when you say you can't do this anymore, and am eternally grateful for every update you give us in the meantime. Your family and health should always come first.

For me, as excited as I get about the updates (it truly is like Christmas morning when I was a kid), my favorite part of this site is being able to interact with people who love music as much as I do in the forum itself. It's here that I've found most of the hidden gems that have become all-time favorites, and it more than keeps me patient between the updates. Take good care of yourself and thank you again for everything you do!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Henrik wrote:As we are getting closer to EOY 2016, I might actually wait for those to be added as well. In the future I'd like to make the updates sooner after the EOY anyway (say March or April).
I've actually been wanting to question you on the possibility of this for a while. Looks like I don't have to!

I'm totally on board with this. An update of this caliber taking extra time makes sense, and the later update date will surely benefit the site in the future.

Will you continue to keep us updated on which songs will be added?
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

jamieW wrote: For me, as excited as I get about the updates (it truly is like Christmas morning when I was a kid), my favorite part of this site is being able to interact with people who love music as much as I do in the forum itself. It's here that I've found most of the hidden gems that have become all-time favorites, and it more than keeps me patient between the updates. Take good care of yourself and thank you again for everything you do!

Ammmmeeeeennnnn !
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks everyone!

As kargetina said, there will always be new lists coming in. But I feel that lately there have been more lengthy songs lists than usual. I wonder if this trend will ever stop?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Will you continue to keep us updated on which songs will be added?
Absolutely.
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

I felt like my post was too harsh and that's why i edited the post, but obviously not soon enough.

I'm really thankful for all your work Henryk, so i apologize if i was indeed too harsh in expressing my disappointment.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

kargetina wrote:I felt like my post was too harsh and that's why i edited the post, but obviously not soon enough.

I'm really thankful for all your work Henryk, so i apologize if i was indeed too harsh in expressing my disappointment.
No problem! I edited your post in my quote as well and only kept the core message.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik, would you prefer we wait to submit new lists until after the update?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Jonathon wrote:Henrik, would you prefer we wait to submit new lists until after the update?
No, that's fine. Maybe later, when I'm really close to an update. If so, I will have a message about that in the critics' lists forum.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

jamieW wrote: I remember there have been times when you've questioned how much longer you'll be able to do this at all, and still you've managed to make each update bigger and better than the last. (The very idea of 10,000 ranked songs staggers the mind!) I've always been prepared for the day when you say you can't do this anymore, and am eternally grateful for every update you give us in the meantime. Your family and health should always come first.
I could have written this myself - I've felt and expressed this same thought many times. This site has been a gift to music lovers like us from day one. Take as much time as you need, Henrik!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'd love to get updates in early spring; most of my excitement for new lists bubbles up at that time, and I'd accept a delay just to get to that schedule.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Henrik, as far as my ten cents goes, I would love an update in the spring with the 2016 end of year stuff, vs waiting until 2018 for that. I think that's a fair trade-off...getting the 2016 rankings just months after the pazz and jop poll dropped would be amazing!

Besides, this gives me an opportunity to make my annual rounds looking for lists with Wilco on them, as I didn't get to do that this year. :mrgreen:
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I really like the idea of a March update. Getting the EOY update in 3 months? Sign me up!

I appreciate that Stefano is going to give us some Italian lists. It's cool to get lists from around the world.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Well echoing most everyone else take your time Henrik. You are only one person and as much as we are anxious for them I don't want to see you rushed either. I also like the idea of doing this at the beginning of next year. That way you can align it that way every year for each new update. Take care and good luck.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

In my opinion, if you are ready (or close to ready) to do an update that you feel is better than the current AM, then it's worthwhile even if it's not your ideal vision. But I agree with everyone who has said to take your time. I'm really looking forward to a 10,000-song list, but it should be presented the way you want it to be.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Henrik wrote:Some really great lists have been posted recently (most of them by stefanocarraro) that will give a huge boost to underexposed countries and genres. For me the goal with the 10,000 songs update is to expand the musical palette, so it would feel wrong to make the update and skip many Italian, Spanish, jazz songs etc. that I know actually have enough of acclaim to be appear in the AM list.
I agree 100%, I'd rather have an Italian, Spanish, Jazz classic little-heard Stateside than an obscure Springsteen or Dylan deep cut in the new expanded songs list just to break (a little) the Western/rock music monopoly in the previous lists. The lists provided by Stefanocarraro are excellent additions from the usual top 30 songs of an artist or every songs of an artist ranked and I too feel that skipping his lists would be wrong.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Take your time Henrik Tha Gawd. I'm just here to see if My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy will eventually crack the top 50, come the next update.
Onno Pels
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Onno Pels »

Dexter wrote:
Henrik wrote:Some really great lists have been posted recently (most of them by stefanocarraro) that will give a huge boost to underexposed countries and genres. For me the goal with the 10,000 songs update is to expand the musical palette, so it would feel wrong to make the update and skip many Italian, Spanish, jazz songs etc. that I know actually have enough of acclaim to be appear in the AM list.
I agree 100%, I'd rather have an Italian, Spanish, Jazz classic little-heard Stateside than an obscure Springsteen or Dylan deep cut in the new expanded songs list just to break (a little) the Western/rock music monopoly in the previous lists. The lists provided by Stefanocarraro are excellent additions from the usual top 30 songs of an artist or every songs of an artist ranked and I too feel that skipping his lists would be wrong.

I very much agree with all of this. If it would be possible, I'd even weigh in lists with Asian and African music higher, because I feel what's on AM from these continents is only the tip of the Iceberg - and I'm not even sure it's the tip (top) we're seeing, if you know what I mean. Maybe this isn't something for the next update, but I would be more than willing to try to find more lists with music from these continents for, say, the 2018 update, if that, indeed, is going to be in March.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Dexter wrote:
I really agree with this too. Even as someone who listens to 95% american rock, it is a tad annoying when an expansion just means the typical classic rock albums are now represented by 9 songs instead of 5.
kargetina
The Only Way Is Up

Post by kargetina »

Henrik, may i ask for one more album, please?

Pearl Jam-Ten

Thanks a million!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

It's better that I post the whole list for all of you to see.

Merry inofficial Christmas, everyone! :greetings-waveyellow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Before anyone ask - yes, I will post an inofficial update of the songs too. Maybe tomorrow, when I have included some new lists in the ranking.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Thanks Henrik! A merry Listmas to all!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Thanks a lot Henrik! Looking forward to the songs list (and the update in two years as well because I'm curious about the future rankings of some French albums :mrgreen: )
kargetina wrote:Henrik, may i ask for one more album, please?

Pearl Jam-Ten

Thanks a million!
What do you mean? "Ten" is already included on AM (at 138, no less), and besides Henrik is not the one who decides which albums get on the website since Acclaimed Music is a lists aggregator.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre wrote:Thanks a lot Henrik! Looking forward to the songs list (and the update in two years as well because I'm curious about the future rankings of some French albums :mrgreen: )

Pearl Jam-Ten

Thanks a million!
What do you mean? "Ten" is already included on AM (at 138, no less), and besides Henrik is not the one who decides which albums get on the website since Acclaimed Music is a lists aggregator.
kargetina had already sent me a private message and asked about how the placements for a couple of Metallica albums had changed, and now asked about Ten too...
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:
Pierre wrote:Thanks a lot Henrik! Looking forward to the songs list (and the update in two years as well because I'm curious about the future rankings of some French albums :mrgreen: )

Pearl Jam-Ten

Thanks a million!
kargetina had already sent me a private message and asked about how the placements for a couple of Metallica albums had changed, and now asked about Ten too...
OK, never mind then. It just sounded odd ;)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”