The Current Top 893 Albums of All Time

Future Critic
Let's Get It On

The Current Top 893 Albums of All Time

Post by Future Critic »

I'm not trying to advertise for the local public radio station in Minnesota, but I thought AMers might find it interesting that they are counting down the top 893 albums of all time, as voted by listeners. They have been playing one song from each album.

The list is pretty hit or miss, but I'm hopeful that it will get better as it gets closer to number one. One nice thing about it though is that they're not limited to a single genre, so it's better than most radio stations around here could do. And I have to admit that I've really been enjoying listening to the song and album selections so far.

If anyone is interested, they are posting the list at http://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2016/ ... ial-albums and the station can be streamed there as well.

Here's hoping that one of the top albums on AM gets the number one spot!
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Re: The Current Top 893 Albums of All Time

Post by Future Critic »

This year, the local radio station here in Minnesota is counting down the top 893 essential artists, voted by listeners. Although the list is a bit hit or miss, it has been pretty decent for a user poll. Just thought I'd share it in case anyone is looking for something to listen to this week. It's a bit annoying that they're promoting its member drive, but it's still pretty entertaining. The station can be streamed at www.thecurrent.org/countdown/893-essential-artists and the iHeartRadio app.

Last year they did the top 893 albums, and the results were pretty decent:
1. Nirvana, Nevermind
2. The Clash, London Calling
3. The Beatles, Abbey Road
4. Prince, Purple Rain
5. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
6. Radiohead, OK Computer
7. Bob Dylan, Blood on the Tracks
8. David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
9. The Beatles, The White Album
10. U2, Joshua Trees
11. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue
12. The Beatles, Revolver
13. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours
14. Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street
15. The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
16. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV
17. Michael Jackson, Thriller
18. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
19. Pearl Jam, Ten
20. The Replacements, Let It Be
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

Did they say how long they accumulated poll results?
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

VanillaFire1000 wrote:Did they say how long they accumulated poll results?
I believe they gave listeners two weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't hear about it until after that, so I didn't get to vote. Their list could definitely use some additional votes AM'ers.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

The full list was pretty good, of course Minnesota-centric in many cases. For those of you who haven't heard of The Current, think of it like a tightly formatted college radio station. You get a lot of the new critically acclaimed stuff you'd never hear on any major radio station, but at the same time you're not going to hear a lot of artier music. I'd label it Pitchfork lite with a strong bias towards bands that trend towards folk and Americana with a decent mix of the greatest albums of the past 40 years. You don't hear a lot of hip-hop outside of local bands and Tribe Called Quest. So that said, the list definitely mirrored the leanings of the station.
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

They're at it again - counting down the listener's top 893 songs of all time. https://www.thecurrent.org/list/893-essential-songs/

I don't listen to the station enough, so I missed the deadline for submitting a list, but so far there are a lot of good songs being played. If anyone is looking for something to listen to over the next week, you can stream it at https://www.thecurrent.org/listen.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”