Albums that critics call groundbreaking/innovative/revolutionary that don't appear in lists

Quirk Out Lee
Are You Experienced?

Albums that critics call groundbreaking/innovative/revolutionary that don't appear in lists

Post by Quirk Out Lee »

Shooglenifty - A Whisky Kiss (1996)

Andy Irvine & Davy Spillane - EastWind (1992)

acroamor
Shake Some Action

Re: Albums that critics call groundbreaking/innovative/revolutionary that don't appear in lists

Post by acroamor »

I've recently gotten into Frank Sinatra's Watertown, a truly breathtaking concept album from his later period. Reviewers generally seem to treat it favorably and Sinatra aficionados consider it one of his best, but it's not even bubbling under, nor are any of its songs.

Quirk Out Lee
Are You Experienced?

Re: Albums that critics call groundbreaking/innovative/revolutionary that don't appear in lists

Post by Quirk Out Lee »

Elaborating on my two choices, A Whisky Kiss was called groundbreaking by The Living Tradition for its own "acid croft" kinda thing going on, whilst EastWind's combination of Irish and Bulgarian folk was "considered revolutionary" (- Wiki)

As for my namesake of Stump, I've seen Quirk Out named "the greatest mini-LP of all time" by Melody Maker, but it appeared in the year-end top 50 albums of the NME and Sounds, so it has appeared in two lists (albeit year-end), but A Fierce Pancake (1988) I've seen hailed as a lost masterpiece several times over. ("Unsung album"/"minor classic"/"cult classic") The only list it appeared in was Mike Patton's own personal list of favourite albums of 1988 which he wrote for Metal Maniacs.

Minny Pops' 1982 classic Sparks in a Dark Room was named an "under-the-radar masterpiece" by Uncut, "a real lost electropop classic" and "lost classic of a kind" by Whisperin' and Hollerin' and by Gullboy as "another uniquely electronic album to add to the canon of great music being offered up in the early 80s." I've never seen it in a list.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”