Should AcclaimedMusic give some more detail on albums, like a review quote and history.

If this idea is implemented, how far should it go to?

It shouldn't
27%
Top 100
14%
Top 200
No votes
Top 250
5%
Top 500
32%
Top 1000
23%

Total votes: 22

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Should AcclaimedMusic give some more detail on albums, like a review quote and history.

Post by letmeintomyzone »

Some sites that serve the same purpose as AcclaimedMusic, like the following sites:

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_100-1.htm + https://criticstop10.com/
http://playthatgame.co.uk/?action=biglist

Implement a review or some more detailed info on the film (or videogame, if you go by PTG), and I thought it would be a interesting idea to see if it work out for AcclaimedMusic.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Re: Should AcclaimedMusic give some more detail on albums, like a review quote and history.

Post by acroamor »

Where would that information come from? A certain critical source, Wikipedia, or would forumers volunteer to do brief write-ups for albums they enjoy?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Re: Should AcclaimedMusic give some more detail on albums, like a review quote and history.

Post by prosecutorgodot »

acroamor wrote:Where would that information come from? A certain critical source, Wikipedia, or would forumers volunteer to do brief write-ups for albums they enjoy?
I think it would be interesting to put forumers' comments on albums. Maybe we can somehow have a system of voting up "reviews" that forumers like.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
acroamor wrote:Where would that information come from? A certain critical source, Wikipedia, or would forumers volunteer to do brief write-ups for albums they enjoy?
I think it would be interesting to put forumers' comments on albums. Maybe we can somehow have a system of voting up "reviews" that forumers like.
I think I suggested something like this a couple of years ago, or I have at least thought about it. And I'm still open for it! If there's interest from you to do these write-ups, we should work on a system.

Do you think the write-ups should be personal or a summary of the critical acclaim?

I should probably be clear from the beginning that I can't offer any money.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Henrik wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
I think I suggested something like this a couple of years ago, or I have at least thought about it. And I'm still open for it! If there's interest from you to do these write-ups, we should work on a system.

Do you think the write-ups should be personal or a summary of the criticsl acclaim?
From my perspective, if we do the forumers write up approach, I believe we should summarize the critics acclaim, the reasons said album is so praised. It is a list by the critics, after all, as opposed to our own personal polls. The reason that the linked websites use critics blurbs is because the lists are culled by their votes.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Yeah, I would go with the critic's blurbs too. I would definitely like to help finding some good quotes for a part of the list. If possible for songs too, though as I've noticed, good song reviews aren't necessarily easy to find.

As of the amount of albums we should do, I think we should start with the top 500 and perhaps do the next 500 the year after, and the following 500 thereafter and so on. Or something like that. Not force ourselves to do too much at once.

I also thought that Artist pages like the Director's pages on They Shoot Pictures would be a great addition.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

A bit more information is always welcome, although it does take some time.
Actually, I personally might be more interested in 'objective' information like a tracklist, album length and maybe credits/recording information.

But some quotes and qualitative information is a good addition as well.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

I was thinking that if we do this, formers should split into groups that could search for blurbs that best fit certain albums based on that forumer's own knowledge of the genre or band. I for example, would be willing to help with Bob Dylan albums or jazz albums.

I also like Rob's idea for artist pages.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Gillingham wrote:A bit more information is always welcome, although it does take some time.
Actually, I personally might be more interested in 'objective' information like a tracklist, album length and maybe credits/recording information.

But some quotes and qualitative information is a good addition as well.
Ooh, I really like the idea of album lengths. Credits/ recording staff would also be cool.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Damn, I wanted money, Henrik. Actually I don't think any of the forumers actually expected money from you.

That being said if you're going to do reviews, it needs to be from critics. The only time you should feature our reviews are during the forum polls.

I would live the history though! It'd be great. I think you should put in the album page where you have the lists it was featured on.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Here is an example of my preferred set-up for album details:

245. Talking Heads [link to artists page] – Fear of Music
1979 / Art rock, New Wave, Post Punk / 40 min
Highlights: Life During Wartime, Memories Can’t Wait, I Zimbra
Edgy, intense and claustrophobic, Fear of Music is the record where Talking Heads started making sense, filling out their earlier, somewhat bony art-rock with fleshier funk. Nowhere is it more successful than when twitchy house-rocker Life During Wartime hits full tilt. – The Guardian [link]
Lists it appears on [link]

Let me explain. I like the set-up of They Shoot Pictures because it simple, gives the most important information and also, through the quotes, gives you a little feel for the movie. I doesn't try to be IMDb and it shouldn't. I feel the same about Acclaimed Music. I think a credit list or a track list would be far too much information. You would get a huge block of information that won't mean anything to you if you are new to the album and it makes it harder to get through the whole list. I think the artist name, album title, placement, release year, genre, length and a link to Spotify are all very useful. Perhaps we could add the producer too. The critic quote adds color to the whole and the link to the lists explains where the album came from. The song highlights are a bonus for introduction. I would always add three. Take the top three ranked on Acclaimed Music. Of there aren't three of those, pick one that is highlighted in reviews, is in someway iconic, or perhaps a personal favorite.

The name of the artist as well as the source of quote and a link to the lists should be clickable and not have the link next to their name. I would also prefer it if the Spotify link directs you to Spotify itself, so we don't have a complete list here. Of course, the album covers need a standard size. The font, color and size of text should of course be chosen too, though I think that is up to Henrik.

Any thoughts on this approach?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Rob's approach sounds absolutely perfect to me! All of the nice necessary information, with a blurb that seems to appropriately sum up that work's acclaim, for those who are curious. It always annoys me when lists by publications never give explanations for their placements, just assuming that the work somehow speaks for itself. TSPDT and Play That Game cover this part nicely to my eyes, and it would be great for AM to do the same with albums IMO.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

So, does anyone want to get a thread started where we start trying to find good blurbs and info for the albums?
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'll make one, at least one for where people can begin claiming what albums they'd like to do the work for.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Why don't we this for the songs too?
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

I would be interested in seeing track listings for the albums, or even a list of the songs from the albums that are also in AM's Top 6000 songs.

It would also be neat for the songs list to have an indication as to what album each song originated from, who wrote/produced the song, etc.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Daniel wrote:I would be interested in seeing track listings for the albums, or even a list of the songs from the albums that are also in AM's Top 6000 songs.

It would also be neat for the songs list to have an indication as to what album each song originated from, who wrote/produced the song, etc.
I agree with Daniel. I just got the idea that if I could get help to identify the album for each song on AM, and the AM id/link for each album that is on AM, then I could link to these albums from the song pages but also backtrack what songs that appear on AM for each AM album.

Or, if it would be easier, you could help me identify the songs on AM for the AM albums. No matter how the information is obtained, I could both link to the songs from the album pages and vice versa.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”