Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7 - Round 1.6

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7 - Round 1.6

Post by Brad »

Welcome to another round of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Comments are encouraged but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = May 3rd at 10am EST.

Match-ups:
1. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms vs. Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call
2. Arthur Russell - World of Echo vs. Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
3. Bon Iver - Blood Bank vs. Mary J. Blige - Mary
4. Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third vs. The Loud Family - Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things

Here comes two of you
Which one will you chose?
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7 - Round 1.6

Post by PlasticRam »

4. Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third vs. The Loud Family - Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things
I feel like that
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms vs. Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call

This one was fairly close, but Dire Straits edges in out. Both are just about average genre works.

Arthur Russell - World of Echo vs. Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

Very easy choice, honestly. I see what Arthur Russell is trying to do, but it is a rather lazy recording, music wise. There are some ambitious fleeting moments, but mostly just aimless fluff. The atmosphere is interesting, but there just isn't much to it. The Magma record, on the other hand, is very challenging, but also very rewarding.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Bon Iver - Blood Bank vs. Mary J. Blige - Mary

Mary is probably the best RnB album I've heard in this tournament yet, but it is a little too dull and unadventurous, even as it avoids most pop cliches. On the other hand, Blood Bank has interesting moments (mere seconds, literally), but it is mostly just a pop record masquerading as an alternative rock one, structure and music wise.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

Arthur Russell | World of Echo
Magma | Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
Nick Cave | The Boatman's Call
The Loud Family | Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things
Pure Reason Revolution | The Dark Third
Dire Straits | Brothers in Arms
Bon Iver | Blood Bank
Mary J. Blige | Mary
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (1985) vs. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call (1997)

2. Arthur Russell - World of Echo (1986) vs. Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh (1973)

3. Bon Iver - Blood Bank (2009) vs. Mary J. Blige - Mary (1999)

4. Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third (2006) vs. The Loud Family - Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things (1993)

Favourite song from every album:
So Far Away | Into My Arms | Being It | Nebëhr Gudahtt | Woods | All That I Can Say | Goshen's Remains | Inverness

Favourite song of the week: Into My Arms
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

1. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms vs. Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call (AT #53)
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Brothers in Arms

Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

Blood Bank
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Dire Straits 85-81
Mary J Blige 82-65

Need help with Magma and Pure Reason Revolution but World Of Echo is a great discovery.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Jirin wrote:Need help with Magma and Pure Reason Revolution
Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
The Dark Third
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms vs. Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call
Thanks for making me listen to a Dire Straits album in its entirety game. . .

Arthur Russell - World of Echo vs. Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
Never listened to the Magma album before. It was good, but it's not Arthur.

Bon Iver - Blood Bank vs. Mary J. Blige - Mary
This one was an even easier choice for me than first match. Not my favorite Blige album (or even my second), but she was so good in the '90s even her second-tier stuff is great.

I hope to have time for the other matchup, but I'm not sure how likely that will be.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

2. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
3. Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call

8. Arthur Russell - World of Echo
7. Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh

4. Bon Iver - Blood Bank
1. Mary J. Blige - Mary

5. Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third
6. The Loud Family - Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things

Song of the week: Mary J. Blige - Time
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third vs. The Loud Family - Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things

Pure Reason Revolution is a sort of fusion of post rock and hard rock, but unfortunately far too often it comes at the expense of both genre's strengths. The other album is far too long, but has its moments.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

No time to listen this week, so only voting in the marquee match. Nick beats Mark; the Boatman calls over these dire straits (Bad Seeds and bad puns)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Now that I've heard everything I'll go ahead and vote:

Arthur Russell 93-83
The Louad Family 98-78
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Match-ups:
1. Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call - far more even output from Cave. Not his best album, but the quality of his songwriting is well above par, across the whole album. Dire Straits, on the other hand, has excellent highlights but far too much filler.
2. Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandoh - I don't like Russell's soft and almost pretentious art-pop. If you have to go for it, Magma did !
3. Mary J. Blige - Mary - Highly disappointed by Bon Iver. Very average, uninspired folk-rock. Although not a huge fan of R&B, I have to admit that Mary Blige hits hard with this one.
4. Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third - unsure why there is a massive disdain for PRR. I discovered them a few years ago, after they split. Their combination of Prog and Heavy Rock is astonishing. I loved the themed songs - with a recurring tune and a sci-fi feel to it. Too bad it won't make the next round, I find Loud Family averagely good (I actually owned the record in the 90s, but sold it at a car boot sale, nuff said :? )
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Winners in red:

The Dire Straits with their most pop-oriented album - just catchy song after catchy song. Good stuff.

I've been on a big Arthur Russell kick lately, so I'm glad somebody nominated this one. I'd urge people who weren't impressed to give it one more shot, or try his Another Thought. The first time I heard World of Echo, I thought it was slight and impenetrable as well, but it's been growing on my a lot. Magma is too over-the-top for me, and I like prog rock!

Blood Bank is too slight for me, but Mary is way too long. Albums circa 1999 just always ended up at 72 minutes whether they needed to be or not...

The Dark Third was fun at times, but sounded like too much of the same to me.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

The Boatman's Call
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Not even an hesitation for these three matches:

1. Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call
2. Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
3. Bon Iver - Blood Bank
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

spiritualized wrote:unsure why there is a massive disdain for PRR. I discovered them a few years ago, after they split. Their combination of Prog and Heavy Rock is astonishing. I loved the themed songs - with a recurring tune and a sci-fi feel to it. Too bad it won't make the next round, I find Loud Family averagely good (I actually owned the record in the 90s, but sold it at a car boot sale, nuff said :? )
I agree that the Loud Family seems just about average, but I voted for it because, while the blend of genres on Pure Reason Revolution's album is interesting, each of the genres seem to be at their most conventional. The post rock stuff is on the same plane as more conventional albums by Mogwai, and Explosions in the Sky and such, and while it contains the good playing, it doesn't contain the experimental sets that the best of the genre do, IMO. And then, even the hard rock stuff is fairly conventional. I have no problem with cut pasting influence to create a new work, but here, it just seems very predictable. Every crescendo, every fill, all of it seems more cringe-inducing than awe inducing.
Kingoftonga wrote:I've been on a big Arthur Russell kick lately, so I'm glad somebody nominated this one. I'd urge people who weren't impressed to give it one more shot, or try his Another Thought. The first time I heard World of Echo, I thought it was slight and impenetrable as well, but it's been growing on my a lot. Magma is too over-the-top for me, and I like prog rock!
To me, the concept and the mixing and everything on world of echo is interesting, and fairly good at its best, when the vocals go well with the cello. But it seems more like just aimless playing for most of the part, and the sound doesn't assume much depth, at least none that I can perceive.

But still, I'll give both the albums another go. It's nice to see discussion for them.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

luney6 wrote: But still, I'll give both the albums another go. It's nice to see discussion for them.
Thanks my friend !
Funny thing is that I don't see PRR as post-rock, but prog-rock. There is no "wall of sound" per se in their song, but it has this quiet-loud-quiet-loud quality that we see in the best post rock albums, indeed.
RYM rates The Dark Third very highly - but I admit that RYM is heavily tilted towards prog and metal. Or maybe because I gave it a 5.0 stars, who knows ?

And I forgot the vocals - the harmonies are, simply put, stunning. no doubt influenced by the Beach Boys, out of all people.
Oh, and that riff 2/3rds of the way in "Bright Ambassadors..." that riff is simply impossible NOT to shake your head with the hair that some of us don't have anymore...

There, it'll die a miserable death in the throes of the AM Forums, but at least a few more people will have heard it and it will remain my secret pleasure...there, there :music-listening:
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh
Bon Iver - Blood Bank
Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third

Not a very strong week for me personally, I'm afraid. I was familiar with 7 of the 8 albums; and the one I hadn't heard before, Pure Reason Revolution, was easily my favorite. I won't say who they remind me of musically, since I don't want the nominator (whom, I think it's safe to say at this point, is spiritualized) to take it as an insult. But let's just say, to me, it's a very high compliment indeed. (Although it might also explain why nobody else is voting for them. :P )
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

This was my second run through what AM would lead me to believe is Nick Cave's best work. Unfortunately, I have yet to discover the magic. Every other Bad Seeds record I've heard blows this one out of the water. The songwriting is top-notch, but for much of the record, that is the only truly gripping aspect for me.

This Dire Straits record, on the other hand, was a pleasant discovery and all the impetus I need to check out their other major works. The title track was especially powerful after experiencing its emotional use on The West Wing several times over.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

jamieW wrote: since I don't want the nominator (whom, I think it's safe to say at this point, is spiritualized) to take it as an insult. But let's just say, to me, it's a very high compliment indeed.
Ahaha, you piqued my interest, Jamie, and let me try nonetheless - Pink Floyd ? Porcupine Tree ? These are the most common influences quoted when referring to this album.
And you guessed right, I was the nominator and I hope I haven't broken any rules - although I don't think ppl will change their mind whether they know or not, well I hope so anyway. But when the going gets tough, we French people don't think twice about going to the streets to demonstrate our unsatisfaction and anger. That's merely what I am doing here, musically speaking :D
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

spiritualized wrote:
jamieW wrote: since I don't want the nominator (whom, I think it's safe to say at this point, is spiritualized) to take it as an insult. But let's just say, to me, it's a very high compliment indeed.
Ahaha, you piqued my interest, Jamie, and let me try nonetheless - Pink Floyd ? Porcupine Tree ? These are the most common influences quoted when referring to this album.
And you guessed right, I was the nominator and I hope I haven't broken any rules - although I don't think ppl will change their mind whether they know or not, well I hope so anyway. But when the going gets tough, we French people don't think twice about going to the streets to demonstrate our unsatisfaction and anger. That's merely what I am doing here, musically speaking :D
Porcupine Tree's a good guess. There are a number of Pink Floyd fans on the forum, so that wouldn't have been so bad.

Once our favorite artist poll's completed, JimmyJazz will probably post our individual lists. Once he does, brace yourself, look high on my list, and promise not to hate me for the comparison. (It's definitely not an exact match; there was just something about the vibe of the music that reminded me of them.)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

jamieW wrote: Once our favorite artist poll's completed, JimmyJazz will probably post our individual lists. Once he does, brace yourself, look high on my list, and promise not to hate me for the comparison. (It's definitely not an exact match; there was just something about the vibe of the music that reminded me of them.)

Ahaha, brilliant, I will - but of course each of us "sees" something slightly different in each artist and their work, that's the beauty of art.
As long as it's not this, I promise I won't be judgmental :)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My picks:

About 2 hours left to vote... Thanks!
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

By the way guys, I have no problem if you want to tell which albums you nominated. In the past I just posted the lists prior to the tournament but noticed a trend in other polls to NOT reveal the lists. Since no-one replied either way whether they wanted to see them, I played it safe!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Hé, I think it actually adds some spice to it - I am not very subtle and I can't keep a secret, but I do love fighting for the things or the people I love, so it was almost natural to me :)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

17 voters this week (down slightly from previous weeks):
Bang Jan
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
DocBrown
GucciLittlePiggy
Honorio
jamieW
Jeff
Jirin
Kingoftonga
luney6
notbrianeno
PlasticRam
Romain
spiritualized
whuntva

Winners:
1. Nick Cave - The Boatman's Call over Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms 9-8
2. Arthur Russell - World of Echo over Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh 8-6
3. Bon Iver - Blood Bank over Mary J. Blige - Mary 8-5
4. The Loud Family - Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things over Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third 8-3

Round 1.7 up soon!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”