Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7 - Round 1.2

Brad
Higher Ground

Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7 - Round 1.2

Post by Brad »

Welcome to another round of Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7!

Vote for your favorite album in each match-up.
Remember, anyone can vote as long as the voter has heard both albums.

Comments are encouraged but not absolutely necessary.
Deadline = April 5th at 10am EST.

Match-ups:
1. Grizzly Bear - Yellow House vs. Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
2. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory vs. Bad Company - Bad Co.
3. Elliott Smith - Roman Candle vs. Nils Frahm - Spaces
4. The Little Rabbits - Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris vs. Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled

Also, we have a tiebreaker open from Round 1.1:
The Housemartins - London 0 Hull 4 vs. The Cure - Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me ***TIE! 10-10! Next Vote Wins!***
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Re: Moderately Acclaimed Albums 7 - Round 1.2

Post by Bang Jan »

(It's the same playlist each week, just modified)

Clear Spot

Well Oiled

Captain Beefheart | Clear Spot
Nils Frahm | Spaces
Hash Jar Tempo | Well Oiled
Elliott Smith | Roman Candle
Grizzly Bear | Yellow House
Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach | Painted from Memory
Bad Company | Bad Co.
The Little Rabbits | Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Haven't heard all the albums from this week yet.

Grizzly Bear - Yellow House vs. Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot

The Grizzly Bear album was a fantastic discovery! Very dreamy psychedelic music, that is well arranged. The only drawback is that the songs don't seem very memorable. Normally, I love Captain Beefheart, but this is one of his weaker albums. Beefheart's approach is very similar to what he did on Trout Mask Replica, but with inculcating gospel and soul music. However, Clear Spot lacks the combination of intricacies and kick ass riffs that made TMR really good, though. Disappointing, but Beefheart has lot of other great albums as well that are worth checking out.

Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory vs. Bad Company - Bad Co.
Both albums were rather weak genre works, honestly, IMO. But Painted from memory just seemed to drag on and on, without reason or direction.
Last edited by luney6 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Is there also a link for Little Rabbits or is it under US Spotify with a different name?

Elvis Costello & Burt Bachatach 79-70
Nils Frahm 88-73
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Is Deezer working for you ?

http://www.deezer.com/album/309834
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

I don't think Deezer is available in the US.
DaveC
Never Going Back Again

Post by DaveC »

2. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory vs. Bad Company - Bad Co.
3. Elliott Smith - Roman Candlevs. Nils Frahm - Spaces
4. The Little Rabbits - Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris vs. Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Grizzly Bear - Yellow House
Bad Company - Bad Co.
Nils Frahm - Spaces
The Little Rabbits - Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris

Spaces is a fantastic discovery!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Bad Company

Pretty clear nostalgic favorite here. I really like all of these, and "Seagull" in particular has started to grow on me.

Roman Candle

Elliott Smith could do no wrong.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

1. Grizzly Bear - Yellow House (2006) vs. Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band - Clear Spot (1972)

2. Elvis Costello with Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory (1998) vs. Bad Company - Bad Company (1974)

3. Elliott Smith - Roman Candle (1994) vs. Nils Frahm - Spaces (2013)

4. The Little Rabbits - Dans les faux puits rouges et gris (1991) vs. Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled (1997)

Favourite song from every album:
Knife | Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles | This House Is Empty Now | Can't Get Enough | No Name #3 | Over There, It's Raining | Help | Untitled 7

Favourite song of the week: This House Is Empty Now
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

7. Grizzly Bear - Yellow House
3. Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot

1. Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory
2. Bad Company - Bad Co.

6. Elliott Smith - Roman Candle
5. Nils Frahm - Spaces

8. The Little Rabbits - Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris
4. Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled

Song of the week: "In the Darkest Place" (Elvis Costello)
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Elliott Smith - Roman Candle vs Nil Frahms - Spaces

Both albums are almost at the same level. Neither seems groundbreaking, honestly. Nil Frahms has some good moments, but overall, it has far too much fluff. Seems sort of pretentious. There is a lot better electronic music out there, IMO.

The Little Rabbis - Dans les faux puits rouges et gris vs Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled

Oh god, what a tough match up. Both albums are truly great, and the Little rabbits is probably my favorite discovery in the game so far. There are some slightly weak parts (very rare, though), but the good moments are so good. Songs like Karen and Bad Days are really good. It's like a fusion of The Dream Syndicate and Mercury Rev. Well Oiled, on the other hand, is sublime and almost flawless. But I still wouldn't mind if the Little Rabbits went on to the next round, because, man, that is a really great record. :music-rockon:
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Too good albums. The choice can be the other album another day.
Not my favorite by Costello (far from my favorite) but it's enough.
It's difficult to not like elliott Smith and I try Frahm some month ago after hearing the sublime music of "The Leftovers" by Max Richters and don't like it.
Not a big fan of the two.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I feel like that
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

First listen for this album from Grizzly Bear. Listened to "Shields" (2012) and didn't dislike it or like it much. This one is better, more immediate and catchy. It falls short however with a lack of truly recognisable melodies. It is a keeper though.
I am no huge fan of Beefheart, although I appreciate his influence on the world of music. Deus 'Under the Bar, Under the Sea' (which we will listen to in this game) borrows HEAVILY from Beefheart. This album is an exception though, it belongs to the "brilliant" category. Everything in it has musical value, and it is a truely pleasurable experience. I loathed Trout Mask Replica, though !

The poorest matchup in the 10 already made. I cannot stand the soppiness of Bacharach but, if you have to have it, female singers are much better at delivering his sugar-coated songs. Dusty Springfield, Dionne Warwick, Carpenters, you name it.
By default, Bad Company wins. Rather catchy, from the ashes of Free and Mott the Hoople, it was bound to be rather good. Still not as good as Grizzly Bear !

Haven't had the time for the rest so far...
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

luney6 wrote: Oh god, what a tough match up. Both albums are truly great, and the Little rabbits is probably my favorite discovery in the game so far. There are some slightly weak parts (very rare, though), but the good moments are so good. Songs like Karen and Bad Days are really good. It's like a fusion of The Dream Syndicate and Mercury Rev. Well Oiled, on the other hand, is sublime and almost flawless. But I still wouldn't mind if the Little Rabbits went on to the next round, because, man, that is a really great record. :music-rockon:
Luney,
I must say that you have made my day for the past two days. You cannot i.magine how pleased I am to see that someone shared my love for this album and that the Rabbits will have another fan. This has been a landmark album for me and I met the band several times - just a local French band from the western countryside which didn't make it big, but meant so much to me. I hope that others will see that too :) I am actually quite concerned I will like Well Oiled though....

*Commercial over*
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

spiritualized wrote:
luney6 wrote: Oh god, what a tough match up. Both albums are truly great, and the Little rabbits is probably my favorite discovery in the game so far. There are some slightly weak parts (very rare, though), but the good moments are so good. Songs like Karen and Bad Days are really good. It's like a fusion of The Dream Syndicate and Mercury Rev. Well Oiled, on the other hand, is sublime and almost flawless. But I still wouldn't mind if the Little Rabbits went on to the next round, because, man, that is a really great record. :music-rockon:
Luney,
I must say that you have made my day for the past two days. You cannot i.magine how pleased I am to see that someone shared my love for this album and that the Rabbits will have another fan. This has been a landmark album for me and I met the band several times - just a local French band from the western countryside which didn't make it big, but meant so much to me. I hope that others will see that too :) I am actually quite concerned I will like Well Oiled though....

*Commercial over*
Glad to hear this spiritualized, and thank you for selecting this album! I've been recommending the Little Rabbits to a lot of my friends as well, and quite a few of them like their music. I feel like with time, the Little Rabbits should definitely gain popularity and acclaim. Now I'm looking forward to checking out the later albums by them. :D
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
Bad Company - Bad Co.
Nils Frahm - Spaces
Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Grizzly Bear - Yellow House
Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory
Elliott Smith - Roman Candle
The Little Rabbits - Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Final matchup, and it is, as I feared, a tough one - this was my first introduction to Hash Jar Tempo - I have a few favourites from Bardo Pond, but this is MUCH better. Somehow missing the voice of the singer from Bardo Pond makes it BETTER. When I saw "drone + post rock" I thought yeah ! winning formula ! And I wasn't wrong. The first part of the album is simply sublime. I think it gets weaker as it goes though, but listening to "Well Oiled" was probably the best hour of the week.
However I have no history with Hash Jar Tempo. The Rabbits is a pure gem of guitar pop, highly catchy tunes. Great covers (Karen from the Go Betweens is better than the original, La Mer is from the Jazz Butcher if I recall, but even they admitted that the Little Rabbits appropriated the song for themselves)

So without further ado....

The Little Rabbits - Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris vs. Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

spiritualized wrote:Final matchup, and it is, as I feared, a tough one - this was my first introduction to Hash Jar Tempo - I have a few favourites from Bardo Pond, but this is MUCH better. Somehow missing the voice of the singer from Bardo Pond makes it BETTER. When I saw "drone + post rock" I thought yeah ! winning formula ! And I wasn't wrong. The first part of the album is simply sublime. I think it gets weaker as it goes though, but listening to "Well Oiled" was probably the best hour of the week.
However I have no history with Hash Jar Tempo. The Rabbits is a pure gem of guitar pop, highly catchy tunes. Great covers (Karen from the Go Betweens is better than the original, La Mer is from the Jazz Butcher if I recall, but even they admitted that the Little Rabbits appropriated the song for themselves)

So without further ado....

The Little Rabbits - Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris vs. Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled
Very glad to hear that you liked it spiritualized :D
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

1. Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
2. Bad Company - Bad Co.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

There is No More Firmament.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Forgot the third match...

Nils Frahm - Spaces.

I love Elliot Smith, but his first album is not to the standard of the rest, sadly....
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Add a vote for Clear Spot over Yellow House 87-86. Very close match.

Didn't have a chance to hear Well Oiled.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Didn't care for what I heard of the other two matches, so just going to abstain from them.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

16 hours left to vote!
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Two matchups this week, sadly. I'm afraid I don't have the time to listen to the three remaining.
I almost went towards Bad Company mainly because of an awesome story about my friend's father at one of their concerts. It seems the crowd was way too quiet and an encore was not happening, so he started chanting the band's name over and over, and other people joined in. It ended in an awesome encore with fire! Yeah, that story was better than the two albums. I went with Elvis and Burt, because I liked the instrumental and the vocals.

Elliott Smith's debut isn't by any means bad, and I liked it a lot. If it was against either Elvis or Bad Company, it'd win easily. However Nils Frahm's album was gorgeous, and filled with an arrangement that seemed to jump tiny jumps then started to get more energetic. It was a great discovery!

While I will probably end up listening to Captain Beefheart, The Little Rabbits, and Hash Jar Tempo when I have time, I'm afraid I have to go ahead and vote.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

My Picks:

Thanks!
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Tough choice because Clear Spot just may be the best blues rock record I've heard. However, Yellow House may be even better than Grizzly Bear's supposed peak in Veckatimest (though Shields is still my personal favorite).

I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

19 voters this week!:
antonius
babydoll
Bang Jan
BleuPanda
bonnielaurel
Brad
DaveC
DocBrown
GucciLittlePiggy
Honorio
jamieW
Jirin
luney6
notbrianeno
ordinaryperson
PlasticRam
Romain
spiritualized
whuntva

Results:
1. Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot over Grizzly Bear - Yellow House 11-6
2. Bad Company - Bad Co. over Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory 11-7
3. Nils Frahm - Spaces over Elliott Smith - Roman Candle 12-6
4. The Little Rabbits - Dans Les Faux Puits Rouges Et Gris over Hash Jar Tempo - Well Oiled 9-5

Round 1.3 up soon!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”