Which do you prefer? Illinois vs Carrie & Lowell

Sunwoo1213
Are You Experienced?

Which do you prefer? Illinois vs Carrie & Lowell

Post by Sunwoo1213 »

These are two albums, which are most praised albums of Sufjan Stevens Discography.

Which is better album to you, and what's your favorite track of it?

For me, Carrie and Lowell is better and my favorite track is Death with dignity.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: Which do you prefer? Illinois vs Carrie & Lowell

Post by Nick »

I definitely prefer "Illinois". I like "Carrie and Lowell" a great deal, but sometimes the songs tend to blur together. Also, I was a bigger fan of "Illinois" lyrically. As a general rule, I'll take the sprawling kitchen sink album over the intimate succinct album.

Favorite songs off "Illinois"? "Chicago" and "Casimir Pulaski Day" all the way.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Illinois, no competition. I do like Carrie and Lowell but I like big sprawling Sufjan more than intimate Sufjan.
Would be a much closer call against The Age of Adz. I think Illinois is the better album, because the Age of Adz has some low points, but I'd argue that Adz's 5 best songs are better than Illinois'.

Anyway, favorite song of Illinois and of Sufjan Stevens : The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I don't get Illinois, but I do like Carrie & Lowell.
I feel like that
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Illinois, but Illinois is in my top 5 of all time while Carrie and Lowell is top 25, so they're both important albums to me.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nassim wrote:Illinois, no competition. I do like Carrie and Lowell but I like big sprawling Sufjan more than intimate Sufjan.
Would be a much closer call against The Age of Adz. I think Illinois is the better album, because the Age of Adz has some low points, but I'd argue that Adz's 5 best songs are better than Illinois'.

Anyway, favorite song of Illinois and of Sufjan Stevens : The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us.
That song and "They are Night Zombies..." are both so underrated. I think they would both be critically acclaimed if they had more normal titles (note that the most acclaimed songs from Illinois are the ones with the shorter titles). Illinois is easily the better album of the two, the modern classical influence is something I hope Sufjan goes back to.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Illinois by a wide margin right now. In fairness I've only listened to C & L once so further listens may narrow the gap but Illinois has great melodies and orchestrations that make it a truly great album.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Nick wrote:As a general rule, I'll take the sprawling kitchen sink album over the intimate succinct album.
Word. That's part of why I much prefer Odelay to Sea Change. Illinois is one of the greatest albums I've ever heard, but I can see why one might prefer the haunting tunes on C&L.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Jackson wrote: I think they would both be critically acclaimed if they had more normal titles (note that the most acclaimed songs from Illinois are the ones with the shorter titles).
I've noticed this before too, and I doubt it's a coincidence (though "Chicago" is definitely the best song on that album, in my opinion). It's funny how fickle the critics can be.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Illinois is one of my favorite albums of all time. For some reason I can't get into Carrie & Lowell. I don't know what it is, just not connecting with it. It feels like the vocals are mixed too low and most of the album blends into a similar groove.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Jirin wrote:Illinois is one of my favorite albums of all time. For some reason I can't get into Carrie & Lowell. I don't know what it is, just not connecting with it. It feels like the vocals are mixed too low and most of the album blends into a similar groove.
You stole my words. For me it's more Great VS meh ;)
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Both are monstrous, though Illinoise >>>>>>>>>>>
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Illinois if my favorite of those two and my favorite Sufjan album in general.
In second place though comes The Age of Adz, just edging out Carrie & Lowell at the moment.

Favorite songs of those three albums:
Illinois: John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
The Age of Adz: I Want to Be Well
Carrie & Lowell: No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Like Jackson, I too love Illinois for its orchestrations and modern classical influences. Carrie and Lowell, not so much.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”