World Music Cup: Semifinals

Jeff
Different Class

World Music Cup: Semifinals

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to the semifinals of the World Music Cup's knockout stage. The winners advance to the finals while the losers play the third-place match.

Listen to all of the songs at least once and select the one in each matchup that you most prefer.

If there is a problem with any of the links (e.g., region locks, dead links), please mention it in a post below and do not vote for that matchup until you have heard both songs.

Voting for this session ends 11 March at approximately 11:59pm UTC / 6:59pm EST. If a matchup ends in a draw, a tiebreaker round is held 12 March with each nation using a different song. Note that tiebreaker rounds last only one day.

This round features an all-(Latin)American match and a sharp-looking German side taking on tournament darlings Mali.

SEMIFINALS
ARGENTINA VS. CUBA
ARG: Almendra - Muchacha (ojos de papel)
Luis Alberto Spinetta (1950-2012) was one of the pioneers of Rock en Español and a revered figure on his home country (the best album and the second best song according to the Argentinian edition of Rolling Stone were his). In his 40-years career he played with many bands (Almendra, Pescado Rabioso, Invisible, Spinetta Jade) in many different styles but always with his personal touch. "Muchacha (ojos de papel)" ("Girl (Paper Eyes)") was the song that opened his debut album as part of the band Almendra and it's a delicate erotic plea to his teen lover to stay with him till dawn. - Honorio

CUB: Cachao - A Gozar Con Mi Combo
Dummy-team submission by spiritualized (I think this is the third match in a row that the random number generator has selected a spiritualized submission for Cuba).

Interesting Note: Argentina has faced a team from the Americas in each round of the knockout stage.

GERMANY VS. MALI
GER: Faust - Miss Fortune / Alt. YouTube Link
Really, really good. - luney6

MLI: Tamikrest - Tisnant an Chatma

Consolation Bracket
Consider this very much optional, but seeing as how we would otherwise be down to a mere four songs instead of the usual eight, I figure why not put the quarterfinal losers in a consolation bracket to battle for spots fifth through eighth? No tiebreakers here though since I do not want it holding up the main bracket. If one of these ends in a draw, the team with the highest overall vote percentage advances.

BRAZIL VS. JAPAN
BRA: Joyce - Clareana
Beautiful early 80s ode to her daughter. - sonofsamiam

JPN: Boredoms – (Circle)
If Japan makes it this far, I assume it's time to take Chuck D.'s advice and start bringing the noise. Here is acclaimed Japanese noise rock outfit Boredoms with the opening track from their album Vision Creation Newsun. - Jeff

BELGIUM VS. FRANCE
BEL: Plastic Bertrand - Ca plane pour moi

FRA: Yves Montand - Les Feuilles Mortes

Edit: Alternate YouTube link for Germany added. I would add Spotify too, but it does not look like Faust is available in my region.
Last edited by Jeff on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Re: World Music Cup: Semifinals

Post by Romain »

Argentina - Cuba
I prefer the last week choices for the two countries by a large marging. This week, it's more a choice by default.

Mali - Germany
As usual, my favorite team easily win ths group, I really have a great appeal for this country. I like Faust but this song is not my favorite.

Consolation Bracket
Brasil - Japon
Not really fan of these two.
Belgium - France
Hahaha... it will be hard for France this week.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Argentina

Mali

Brazil

France

Hey, Dan, I just noticed that you are the manager of the Malian team. So finally not Spain vs. South Africa but we can meet at the final anyway! Even if Cuba goes to the final we can meet too, I sent two suggestions to Jeff since Cuba is a dummy team…
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Argentina
Mali

Brazil
France
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Honorio wrote:Hey, Dan, I just noticed that you are the manager of the Malian team. So finally not Spain vs. South Africa but we can meet at the final anyway! Even if Cuba goes to the final we can meet too, I sent two suggestions to Jeff since Cuba is a dummy team…
Ha, yes. And for a change, it would be a final where the managers do this...

... instead of this...

Cuba
Mali

Brazil
France
...will keep us together.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

:D :D :D
DaveC
Never Going Back Again

Post by DaveC »

Cuba
Mali

Japan
France

Mali on fire in these knock out rounds.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

SEMIFINALS

Cuba, by a slight amount.

Germany, since I love Faust, but begrudgingly.

I say this because I worked hard to cover lots of genres and time periods for Brazil, and left out a lot of favorites due to both this and restrictions with artist rankings. For Germany, we have gotten 3 well-known Krautrock acts from the early '70s, Nico (also from the early '70s), and then Beethoven and Bach, admittedly not ranked on AM but certainly 2 of the 3 most famed composers of them all. This seems just a bit unfair.

Consolation Bracket

It's funny, Brazil was my bracket, but that Boredoms song is in my all-time Top 200, and ahead of the lovely Joyce song. So, JAPAN.

Belgium, though I much prefer both from the Brazil/Japan bracket (which I much prefer over anything in the semis).
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

sonofsamiam wrote:SEMIFINALS

I say this because I worked hard to cover lots of genres and time periods for Brazil, and left out a lot of favorites due to both this and restrictions with artist rankings. For Germany, we have gotten 3 well-known Krautrock acts from the early '70s, Nico (also from the early '70s), and then Beethoven and Bach, admittedly not ranked on AM but certainly 2 of the 3 most famed composers of them all. This seems just a bit unfair.

Sorry. I thought that the German songs were not very well known of the forum. I put in effort into my Indian team, but I just went with what I thought were the best from Germany. The last song is Stockhausen.

I'll make sure not to do this for any team next time.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

SEMIFINALS
ARGENTINA VS. CUBA
ARG: Almendra - Muchacha (ojos de papel)
CUB: Cachao - A Gozar Con Mi Combo

After the demise of Italy and the probable loss of Belgium, my qualities of head coach have been temporarily assigned to Cuba. So Cuba it is - the Argentinian song is nice enough but doesn't have the ooomph that you need in these win all or lose all games. Cachao's song provides just that :)

GERMANY VS. MALI
GER: Faust - Miss Fortune
MLI: Tamikrest - Tisnant an Chatma

Even though I am a big Krautrock fan, Tamikrest wins it by a margin in this head to head. I actually rated their Chatma album a nice 8/10 and this is the first track of that album. They mix traditional and modern influences perfectly.

BRAZIL VS. JAPAN
BRA: Joyce - Clareana
JPN: Boredoms – (Circle)
Tough choice - really liked the Brazilian team this time, but my rock-self cannot ignore the beautiful noises of Boredoms....

BELGIUM VS. FRANCE
BEL: Plastic Bertrand - Ca plane pour moi
FRA: Yves Montand - Les Feuilles Mortes

Really have a problem with these "traditional" singers from France, I always preferred their American counterparts, they just did it better. So no contest here, Plastic all the way. At least, he's fun and Sonic Youth covered THAT song !!!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Cuba
The Faust track is not available for me. Presumably I would prefer the Mali song, but they seem to win anyway.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Semifinals:
Cuba (Both good songs; Cachao’s just a little more my style.)
Germany (Thanks to Faust’s epic, I finally have to vote against Mali – which really hurts, since it’s yet another incredible song. I would’ve voted for it over either song in the first group.)

Consolation Bracket:
Brazil (Over time, Boredoms have grown on me; but I’m still a little surprised I don’t like them more than I do…)
Belgium (As with Mali, I would’ve voted for France over either song in the first group. The New Wave classic from Belgium just barely squeaks by.)
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Cuba
Mali (best song of the round)

Japan
Belgium
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

ARGENTINA VS. CUBA

GERMANY VS. MALI

BRAZIL VS. JAPAN
Contrasting styles this week. Both are strong, but Boredoms eek out a narrow victory.

BELGIUM VS. FRANCE
I haven't had time for these yet. Slight edge to Belgium due to their energy. Also, "Ca Plane Pour Moi" was one of those songs that I had heard intermittently throughout my life in TV commercials and various other media without knowing the artist.
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

luney6 wrote:

Sorry. I thought that the German songs were not very well known of the forum. I put in effort into my Indian team, but I just went with what I thought were the best from Germany. The last song is Stockhausen.

Don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure I overreacted. The truth is I love all the songs you nominated (GREAT krautrock picks, and Bach and Beethoven are of course unimpeachable). I just really tried to stick to the prescribed rules, which meant leaving out a lot of songs that I'm pretty sure would have done well. But such is life.

Also, if Faust doesn't make it through, plus note which Stockhausen you picked. He's a mind-blowing character, that's for sure.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

sonofsamiam wrote:
luney6 wrote:

Don't worry about it, I'm pretty sure I overreacted. The truth is I love all the songs you nominated (GREAT krautrock picks, and Bach and Beethoven are of course unimpeachable). I just really tried to stick to the prescribed rules, which meant leaving out a lot of songs that I'm pretty sure would have done well. But such is life.

Also, if Faust doesn't make it through, plus note which Stockhausen you picked. He's a mind-blowing character, that's for sure.
All the same, though, I understand that my picks really didn't show off all the diverse great music made in the country, unlike most of the others. I'll make sure to amend that next time!

I don't think Faust is going to make it through, but I think the Stockhausen track would be eligible for the consolation round (if there is one next week. But even, then, I don't really see Stockhausen winning anything with my pick. :mrgreen:
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Cuba: Both tracks have fantastic openings, but the Cuban one has more beautiful moments. (Although I am not a fan of the rhythm)

Germany: Since Faust is absolutely going to loose, might as well make the loss more respectable. This song is truly fantastic.

Japan: I've liked the Boredoms for a while now.

France: Both good picks. France barely edges it though.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

luney6 wrote:I don't think Faust is going to make it through, but I think the Stockhausen track would be eligible for the consolation round (if there is one next week. But even, then, I don't really see Stockhausen winning anything with my pick. :mrgreen:
The consolation round continues next week, with the third, fifth, and seventh-place matches. Regardless of whether Germany wins or loses, we will be hearing some Stockhausen :music-listening: .
BITUSSR
Start Me Up

Post by BITUSSR »

CUBA
MALI

JAPAN
BELGIUM

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”