World Music Cup: Extra Time, France vs. Italy

Jeff
Different Class

World Music Cup: Extra Time, France vs. Italy

Post by Jeff »

They were evenly matched throughout the voting session, and when time expired both had netted six votes. That means it's time for a one-day only tiebreaker! The nation with the most votes after time expires advances; the other is eliminated.

Listen to each song and select the one that you most prefer. Voting for this match ends 28 February at approximately 11:59pm UTC / 6:59pm EST.

FRANCE VS. ITALY
FRA: Bizet - Je crois entendre encore (Les pêcheurs de Perles)

ITA: Il Teatro degli orrori - Compagna Teresa

Romain indicated that Bizet was a bonus song to be used in case of a draw. Spiritualized did not designate a tiebreaker song, so I am using the next song on Italy's list. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Re: World Music Cup: Extra Time, France vs. Italy

Post by luney6 »

Close, but France.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Jeff wrote:They were evenly matched throughout the voting session, and when time expired both had netted six votes. That means it's time for a one-day only tiebreaker! The nation with the most votes after time expires advances; the other is eliminated.

Listen to each song and select the one that you most prefer. Voting for this match ends 28 February at approximately 11:59pm UTC / 6:59pm EST.

FRANCE VS. ITALY

Romain indicated that Bizet was a bonus song to be used in case of a draw. Spiritualized did not designate a tiebreaker song, so I am using the next song on Italy's list. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
I count 6 for France and 5 for Italy. (not really a football score), but maybe i'm wrong.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Romain wrote:
Jeff wrote:They were evenly matched throughout the voting session, and when time expired both had netted six votes. That means it's time for a one-day only tiebreaker! The nation with the most votes after time expires advances; the other is eliminated.

FRANCE VS. ITALY

I count 6 for France and 5 for Italy. (not really a football score), but maybe i'm wrong.
No, I think it is 6-6. Maybe you didn't count Henrik's vote?
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

You are perfectly right. So, thanks Luney for your vote on the extra-time ;-)

And my vote is for France (Il ove this melody so much).
Last edited by Romain on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I'm sorry that the way I posted my votes caused confusion.

I really enjoyed Ufomammut, but here France is my winner.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Romain wrote:You are perfectly right. So, thanks Luney for your vote on the extra-time ;-)

And my vote is for France (Il ove this melody so much).
You're welcome Romain. Really good selections. :music-listening:
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Argh... :) If I thought that classical music was allowed, then Vivaldi was going to be a contender !!! My fault for not being wide enough in my selection

Pleased that Ufomammut made it this far. A headbutt from Zidane is all it takes to win the game, so my vote goes to Italy.. hehe
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I don’t want to overcomplicate things, but I wonder if the next time we do the World Cup (and I’m really hoping it becomes a tradition!) we could have team owners submit classical/non-classical lists. This way, when an owner decides to use a classical submission on a given week, the opposing owner would have an opportunity to counter. I just think it’s going to be very difficult for contemporary songs to topple some of these legendary classical pieces.

After all that, it's probably obvious that Henrik and I are on the same page again. I voted for Italy in the Round of 16; but in extra time, I have to go with the gorgeous Bizet piece from France!
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

jamieW wrote:I don’t want to overcomplicate things, but I wonder if the next time we do the World Cup (and I’m really hoping it becomes a tradition!) we could have team owners submit classical/non-classical lists. This way, when an owner decides to use a classical submission on a given week, the opposing owner would have an opportunity to counter. I just think it’s going to be very difficult for contemporary songs to topple some of these legendary classical pieces.

After all that, it's probably obvious that Henrik and I are on the same page again. I voted for Italy in the Round of 16; but in extra time, I have to go with the gorgeous Bizet piece from France!
Maybe we could have a limit on the number of songs from each genre?

Oh, and sorry Ghana, but I had to take this track. No more classical pieces after this though.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

I like Italy's energy, but for me they lack the finishing ability to beat the traditional approach of the French side. So I'm going France here.
jamieW wrote:I don’t want to overcomplicate things, but I wonder if the next time we do the World Cup (and I’m really hoping it becomes a tradition!) we could have team owners submit classical/non-classical lists. This way, when an owner decides to use a classical submission on a given week, the opposing owner would have an opportunity to counter. I just think it’s going to be very difficult for contemporary songs to topple some of these legendary classical pieces.
I think next time classical will simply be excluded. I liked your idea about having a classical option in case the other team went with classical piece, but since many of the countries in this game lack established composers in the Western Classical tradition, I'm not sure it would be fair. I would still be okay with more avant-garde leaning modern classical pieces though, since I figure those composers haven't been dead long enough to have acquired the level of revenance of someone like Bach.
luney6 wrote:Maybe we could have a limit on the number of songs from each genre?
I was actually considering having this rule in effect this tournament for countries like England and the United States, but figured it would be too difficult for me enforce and too imposing for anyone to want to manage them (of course, ultimately no one managed England or the USA anyway).

I'm planning on starting a thread after the game is over for suggestions for the next time we do this. I assume it makes most sense to hold it again in 2 1/2 years in tandem with the real World Cup with maybe a smaller tournament sometime in 2017 that implements some of the new suggestions to see what works and what doesn't (perhaps a European Cup?).
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Jeff wrote: I think next time classical will simply be excluded.
I agree! I hope seeing classical poll again for sure. But I agree to exclude classical music to the other polls.

Honestly, seing Eric Satie in the video of our 2015 top 1000 songs of all times is a little bit strange... and I love this piece.

Or maybe, at least, if we continue with classical, just the singing piece (opera aria like for Bizet?). Not chorus, not purely instrumental pieces but real "songs".
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

spiritualized wrote: A headbutt from Zidane is all it takes to win the game,
What is this strange story? Who is this Zidane? I never heard this name before :mrgreen:
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

France for me too.

About using Classical music I'm not against it beforehand but:
a) It should have been specified before (for instance BITUSSR could have used Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich or Stravisnky and maybe Russia could have been still in the game).
b) The rule of "nations are allowed no more than two artists ranked inside the AM top 1000, and no more than four artists inside the AM top 3000" could not apply to Classical because AM don't include this kind of music. We can use for exclusion a list like this one. As a suggestion off the top of my head, we can use only one composer from the Top 10 and another one from the Top 25.
BITUSSR
Start Me Up

Post by BITUSSR »

France.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

Ending this a bit early since I don't think enough people would vote to change the outcome.

France scores an unheard of 7 goals in extra time to Italy's 1 to advance,
BITUSSR
Start Me Up

Post by BITUSSR »

I was thinking it would be interesting to do something different for next time. I think it would be fun to hold a discussion and come up with just one song or piece of music from, say, the last 5-10 years for each of the world's countries and then hold a big single-elimination tournament. Since there are about 200 countries in the world, it will take quite some time, but should be very interesting.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”